Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Effingham posted:

drat. Part of me wants to think that's not just a fortuitous casting accident, but actually a clever plan by the powers that were on the show, a bit of an easter egg to those who were really paying attention.

But then again, knowing those folks, it's probably more the former than the latter.

There's only so many actors in Vancouver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
For anyone who lives near Vancouver, you too can buy your own Teal'c Hats this weekend:
http://i54.tinypic.com/2pts9og.jpg

Someone HAS to go and take pictures

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

There won't be much of anything good to be honest. This is going to be like desk chairs and shelves and poo poo like that. I guess if you're lucky there might be a logo on something.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I'd give a guy some nerd cred if he had one of the CRTs from he original dialing computer. Or O'Neill's couch or something.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

General Emergency posted:

I'd give a guy some nerd cred if he had one of the CRTs from he original dialing computer. Or O'Neill's couch or something.

They were eBaying Wraith masks and Jaffa armor a while back weren't they? I think they sold the gate itself off a long time ago.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
So with this auction it means that more Stargate movies have no chance of being made? Or is this all stuff that they can get rid of?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

So with this auction it means that more Stargate movies have no chance of being made? Or is this all stuff that they can get rid of?

It means Stargate is dead, long live Stargate.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Stargate is done. Everyone has moved on.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

We're looking at years before a reboot at least. :(

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
By the time this gets rebooted the only cameo role Richard Dean Anderson will be fit for is Cheyenne Mountain.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Jolan posted:

I'm pretty sure they explicitly stated that it was the same guy in some episode with Oma Desala or whatever her name was.

Cool, I missed that, then.

I love that sort of continuity.

Pity they blew the big points on everyone speaking English, and all stargates having the same symbols and functional addresses....

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Effingham posted:

Cool, I missed that, then.

I love that sort of continuity.

Pity they blew the big points on everyone speaking English, and all stargates having the same symbols and functional addresses....

Wait what? You wanted them to spend 1/3 of every episode learning the language and you don't understand how telephones work?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I'll be going to this. Went to the Smallville one too, what should I be on the lookout for?

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

IRQ posted:

Wait what? You wanted them to spend 1/3 of every episode learning the language and you don't understand how telephones work?

Well, the language thing seemed to matter in SGU (or did the rule on languages change?)......

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

IRQ posted:

You never saw the movie? A big point of the movie was that different gates had different symbols.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Effingham posted:

Pity they blew the big points on everyone speaking English

Crazy idea that popped into my head the other day while I was rewatching an episode of SG1.

Ra took the language of the people that led the slave rebellion, and as leader of the System Lords spread it among all the various worlds. :v:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

IRQ posted:

I was always kind of surprised they didn't jump on the magical universal translator bandwagon since Stargate actually had a decent enough excuse for it. Something like the Goauld are sick of their slaves babbling on in fifty million different languages so they always leave behind a couple of translators.

Not that I really care one way or another. Dealing with language differences in sci-fi is really loving stupid unless you're talking about a one-off movie or the language is actually part of the plot. Doing it every episode would have just been incredibly silly.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I think the only real reason why SGA didn't last longer is because they just could never find a good combination of four people for the team. Part of the issue, I think, is this unsaid rule that there needs to be a female team member, and we got stuck with Tayla. That only got worse when they tried to make her more important...

spronk posted:

I know SGU tried really hard for the "realism" aspect...

...and ruined it my making every single character more insufferable than Kavanaugh. Maybe they got better after I stopped watching at mid-season 1, but I doubt it.

Paradoxish posted:

Lexx is... a favorite around here? People actually like Lexx? I'm suddenly rethinking my strategy of watching shows based on goon recommendations.

I liked Lexx, but I'd never recommend it to anyone because inevitably that person would come back to ask what the gently caress is wrong with me.

Kerbtree posted:

Yes. Lexx is a boldly honest b-movie tribute. Trash, smut, rubber(cg) monsters and all. It's, and gently caress tvtropes for making me feel bad for saying this, So Bad It's Good. It's a Rocky Horror in Space deal.

The various seasons of lexx - each movie, seasons 2,3 and 4 all have very different feels to them and each one has a uniting story arc. The movies have this sort of screwed-up 40k thing, series 2 is a hosed-up lost in space, 3 is - well, 3 gets downright weird at the end, and 4 ties up all sort of loose ends and runs about parodying film and tv, has a few seriously :psyduck: moments later on.

Bear in mind it started it's run in 1997 on a budget of about tuppence ha'penny.

And if nothing else, you'll take away having watched holographic Tim Curry trying to artifically inseminate a man from beyond the grave, seen actors from other shows be let right off the leash to chew the scenery, you'll know what The Planet of the Milk-Fed Boys is, and Eva Habermann has a shower, if you like that sort of thing.

I thought we Lexx fans had all agreed to never talk about Season 4?

Flatscan posted:

SGU is SG1's douchey little brother that acts like one of the goth kids from South Park.

I think SGU came from someone taking "Teen Angst SG1" from 200 seriously.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

You never saw the movie? A big point of the movie was that different gates had different symbols.

Ya but that was changed in the show.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Abydos was also moved magically closer to earth between the movie and the SG-1 pilot so it wasn't in an entirely different galaxy.

I've been re-watching SG-1 and just started season 2. Season 1 has some clunkers but overall I liked it. Except for that clip show, but I guess every tv show needs that.

I just wish that SG-1 overall had featured more Maybourne, he was one of my favourite characters from the show.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MrBling posted:

Abydos was also moved magically closer to earth between the movie and the SG-1 pilot so it wasn't in an entirely different galaxy.

I've been re-watching SG-1 and just started season 2. Season 1 has some clunkers but overall I liked it. Except for that clip show, but I guess every tv show needs that.

I just wish that SG-1 overall had featured more Maybourne, he was one of my favourite characters from the show.

The clip show introduces the best human villain so it has that going for it. Its also one of the few clip shows that continue the plot lines instead of just being there.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Senor Tron posted:

They retconned a lot of how things worked in the movie. That was one of the more important ones for the show to make any sense.

Effingham posted:

Well, the language thing seemed to matter in SGU (or did the rule on languages change?)......

Only for those blue jerks.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Clearly, SG-1 merely had Daniel provide simultaneous translation every episode. His archeology degree comes in handy somehow. :psyduck:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Clearly, SG-1 merely had Daniel provide simultaneous translation every episode. His archeology degree comes in handy somehow. :psyduck:

How about that time when he was (seriously) dead?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yes, we know they changed it between the movie and the tv show, that's the point that was being made, that all of a sudden everyone could speak English and all gates were the same!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

bobkatt013 posted:

How about that time when he was (seriously) dead?

Teal'c picked up the slack. Goa'uld is a nuanced language, like glourious Nihongo. Only socially awkward archeologists and big intimidating dudes can speak it correctly.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Teal'c picked up the slack. Goa'uld is a nuanced language, like glourious Nihongo. Only socially awkward archeologists and big intimidating dudes can speak it correctly.

But the stargates are not in Goa'uld

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

But the stargates are not in Goa'uld

I was talking about the endless medieval villages they ran across, sorry. Since lots of them were put there by the Goa'uld to be slaves, it makes sense they would all speak that language on some level.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

drcru posted:

I'll be going to this. Went to the Smallville one too, what should I be on the lookout for?

I'd be curious if they would be blowing out any of those old Dell Laptops they used. Bonus if they had the Atlantis emblem.

Or McKay's Tablet :3

JetsGuy posted:

I think the only real reason why SGA didn't last longer is because they just could never find a good combination of four people for the team. Part of the issue, I think, is this unsaid rule that there needs to be a female team member, and we got stuck with Tayla. That only got worse when they tried to make her more important...

Yet another reason why Amanda Tapping was horribly misused during season 4. Would have been a seamless transition with Carter taking Tayla's place once she realized she was preggers. Instead we get Carter stuck in Weir's old office doing paperwork and MSPainting the CGI sets for Sanctuary.

That Guy From Pearldiver fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 18, 2011

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

General Emergency posted:

I'd give a guy some nerd cred if he had one of the CRTs from he original dialing computer.

I've got one of the same model (NEC MultiSync XE17) on my other computer :shobon:

I didn't realize it until well after I bought it (1999) and started watching Stargate (mid-2000s).

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 18, 2011

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

I'd be curious if they would be blowing out any of those old Dell Laptops they used. Bonus if they had the Atlantis emblem.

Or McKay's Tablet :3

Yet another reason why Amanda Tapping was horribly misused during season 4. Would have been a seamless transition with Carter taking Tayla's place once she realized she was preggers. Instead we get Carter stuck in Weir's old office doing paperwork and MSPainting the CGI sets for Sanctuary.

But that would break the formula of 1 scientist, 1 team leader, 1 warrior and a useless person that stargate had used for so many years.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

Cryptic Edge posted:

But that would break the formula of 1 scientist, 1 team leader, 1 warrior and a useless person that stargate had used for so many years.

Useless Carter > Useless Tayla

Plus the awesome Carter/McKay exchanges would have only gotten greater.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Carter should be directing research at Area 51, not leading Atlantis. Actually Daniel should have been leading Atlantis.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Carter should be directing research at Area 51, not leading Atlantis. Actually Daniel should have been leading Atlantis.

God just did not want Daniel to go to Atlantis.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

All the laptops were gone by the time I got there. I did manage to buy a $50 mouse for $1 though. I wonder if Joe Mallozzi used this to click something with!

I may or may not have bought a bunch of props and uniforms... (They were only $10 each!!)

I'll post some pictures in a bit.

edit: I think I got this guy's uniform http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Chen and a black hat that said O'Neil on the inside.

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 19, 2011

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

drcru posted:

All the laptops were gone by the time I got there. I did manage to buy a $50 mouse for $1 though. I wonder if Joe Mallozzi used this to click something with!

I may or may not have bought a bunch of props and uniforms... (They were only $10 each!!)

I'll post some pictures in a bit.

edit: I think I got this guy's uniform http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Chen and a black hat that said O'Neil on the inside.

Awesome. A uniform would be pretty cool.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

I bought 4 or so military jackets, one of them has a bullet hole and some blood. There was even a picture of the guy who played Chen wearing it pinned onto the jacket. Didn't buy the pants though because they were too big.

I think I might have bought a Genii jacket too? Not too sure, I'll take pictures of those later if people wouldn't mind identifying what they are.

Anyway, some pictures from today:

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 19, 2011

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

Useless Carter > Useless Tayla

Plus the awesome Carter/McKay exchanges would have only gotten greater.

Yes but Carter was never useless :colbert:

Daniel was the useless one of sg1, not saying I didn't love the character, but honestly when he wasn't playing translator he was just jacks conscience. I too would have loved the Carter McKay team, but that would have broken their team formula. But then I would watch "ronin & tel'c: wreaking poo poo" daily for a decade if they ever made that because their dynamic was so good. Hell, they should have done more sg1 Atlantis cross over eps too, because Shepard, Mitchell, and McKay had such a good dynamic on that one that I was hoping for more.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Cryptic Edge posted:

Yes but Carter was never useless :colbert:

Daniel was the useless one of sg1, not saying I didn't love the character, but honestly when he wasn't playing translator he was just jacks conscience. I too would have loved the Carter McKay team, but that would have broken their team formula. But then I would watch "ronin & tel'c: wreaking poo poo" daily for a decade if they ever made that because their dynamic was so good. Hell, they should have done more sg1 Atlantis cross over eps too, because Shepard, Mitchell, and McKay had such a good dynamic on that one that I was hoping for more.

Who else would die every other mission?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bobkatt013 posted:

Who else would die every other mission?

It's stargate, we don't need a red shirt. If you need to kill off random people they can be introduced for that episode or season. The whole death, ascended, alive, death ascended alive thing got tired quick. It was a neat gimmick the first time, but they shouldn't have kept killing and redirecting him, as that made it mundane.