Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Are Chen and Grossman anyone important? I don't remember them at all on SGU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

NmareBfly posted:

The best is when Teal'c gets to learn about different aspects of his adopted home's culture:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aTnhO5b8zk

Michael Shanks is always awesome at every panel I've ever seen so I refuse to believe he was a jerk on the set.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Michael Shanks is always awesome at every panel I've ever seen so I refuse to believe he was a jerk on the set.

If he was a jerk then they would have not brought him back. Even when he was having salary issues he still appeared as both Daniel and Thor.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

If he was a jerk then they would have not brought him back. Even when he was having salary issues he still appeared as both Daniel and Thor.

Didn't he leave because he didn't feel that Daniel was getting a big enough role?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

drcru posted:

Didn't he leave because he didn't feel that Daniel was getting a big enough role?

I've read so many different rumors. One was that he was told that SciFi didn't want him so he left and when they got the show they were like "where the gently caress is the smart guy?"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

drcru posted:

I believe it was that and he wanted to be paid more.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

I don't know why SciFi would want to cut out one of the "original" characters but then again, look what happened to that channel.

Anyway, there's been an influx of terrible Michael Shanks TV movies airing here almost every day in Canada lately. I really doubt he left Stargate to make these.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Todd is funnier than Teal'c

http://youtu.be/rgWoXygi-MY

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

Todd is funnier than Teal'c

http://youtu.be/rgWoXygi-MY

Heeeeellllllllll NO.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

Rhyno posted:

I've read so many different rumors. One was that he was told that SciFi didn't want him so he left and when they got the show they were like "where the gently caress is the smart guy?"

Web sites sometimes feel like time machines, the website to "save daniel jackson" is still up and is hysterical to read through. There's a collection of like 10 interviews Shanks does as well here:

http://www.savedanieljackson.com/history/originalspirit/originalspirit.shtml

and basically all of them say the same thing: he wanted Daniel Jackson to have better stories, the writers thought they were doing fine, he took a break. And the fans yelled loudly during season 6 and SciFi brought him back. I do think its interesting that Judge took an active hand and directed and wrote episodes (even if most of them were terrible), not sure if Shanks ever did.

Minimaul posted:

I've been binging through SG-1 on Netflix. I'm a few episodes into season 6 now. Enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. There haven't been too many episodes where I've been overly bored or annoyed.

Let me know how you feel once you get to season 8. I really enjoyed 1-6 as well, with hardly any "man that was terrible!" moments, but season 7 felt like a real grind. In fact I skipped a few season 7 & 8 episodes completely, and am kind of stuck now since I don't want to go into 9 until I finish watching them but ugh do I really want to watch all the "Trust" episodes... I tried detouring into Atlantis, but it hasn't really clicked yet.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

He directed Double Jeopardy and wrote Evolution and Resurrection

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

spronk posted:

Let me know how you feel once you get to season 8. I really enjoyed 1-6 as well, with hardly any "man that was terrible!" moments, but season 7 felt like a real grind. In fact I skipped a few season 7 & 8 episodes completely, and am kind of stuck now since I don't want to go into 9 until I finish watching them but ugh do I really want to watch all the "Trust" episodes... I tried detouring into Atlantis, but it hasn't really clicked yet.

Yeah, we'll see how it turns out. I'm casually watching it so if the episode isn't that great i pay more attention to the book I'm reading or whatever else I do. I'll poke my head in now and then to as things progress.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Minimaul posted:

Yeah, we'll see how it turns out. I'm casually watching it so if the episode isn't that great i pay more attention to the book I'm reading or whatever else I do. I'll poke my head in now and then to as things progress.

Stargate is one of the best "do other poo poo" shows ever. Especially if it's one you've seen.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Halfway through Atlantis season 1. McKay and Weir on screen together is the best thing ever. Teyla on screen is the worst thing ever.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Just wait til she starts singing and or is pregnant.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

drcru posted:

Just wait til she starts singing and or is pregnant.

On the bright side there are like 2-3 seasons where she's barely even there between the two.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

spronk posted:

^^ god that episode was the worst. Not only is it Teal'c lovin' some hot white women,

... Why is that a negative ?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Rhyno posted:

John Gacy is always awesome at every birthday party I've ever seen so I refuse to believe he was a serial killer.

I never understood this idea that Jackson wasn't being used enough. There was a not-so brief period where the show was practically "Daniel Jackson: DJ-1". It's not like Teal'c fading into the background for a few years, only to gravely intone "indeed" and fire his staff weapon, until a comedy episode reared it's head. Daniel did a lot of poo poo constantly.

I was pretty glad when they replaced him with Jonas, anyway.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I never understood this idea that Jackson wasn't being used enough. There was a not-so brief period where the show was practically "Daniel Jackson: DJ-1". It's not like Teal'c fading into the background for a few years, only to gravely intone "indeed" and fire his staff weapon, until a comedy episode reared it's head. Daniel did a lot of poo poo constantly.

I was pretty glad when they replaced him with Jonas, anyway.

For every bad thing people have said about Shanks I've heard 50 about Parker Lewis.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

For every bad thing people have said about Shanks I've heard 50 about Parker Lewis.

The only bad thing I've heard about him is that he's a Scientologist. I loved the Jonas character, although I think over many seasons he may have gotten old, but for a one season appearance he did a good job.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Palleon posted:

The only bad thing I've heard about him is that he's a Scientologist. I loved the Jonas character, although I think over many seasons he may have gotten old, but for a one season appearance he did a good job.

I'd heard he was actively trying to recruit people for his cult on set and even if Shanks hadn't come back he would've been given the boot.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Luigi Thirty posted:

Halfway through Atlantis season 1. McKay and Weir on screen together is the best thing ever. Teyla on screen is the worst thing ever.

The greatest thing about McKay is his character development. He really becomes considerably more personable, and really a relatable character.

...but maybe that's just me that finds him relatable, having a much better understanding of Rodney's plight than most. :(

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

The greatest thing about McKay is his character development. He really becomes considerably more personable, and really a relatable character.

...but maybe that's just me that finds him relatable, having a much better understanding of Rodney's plight than most. :(

Also him and Sheppard becoming bros.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

But for now,

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

Rhyno posted:

I'd heard he was actively trying to recruit people for his cult on set and even if Shanks hadn't come back he would've been given the boot.

oh man I would totally watch an episode where Jonas tries to recruit Teal'c into scientology

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

spronk posted:

oh man I would totally watch an episode where Jonas tries to recruit Teal'c into scientology

"Xenu? I have never heard of such systemlord."

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

bobkatt013 posted:

Also him and Sheppard becoming bros.

:hfive: That's one of many reasons why Tao of Rodney, The Last Man and The Shrine are such awesome episodes.

Luigi Thirty posted:

But for now,

To be fair, Collia loved slapping people around.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

spronk posted:

Seriously, why do you think it's a negative for Teal'c to be having a relationship with a white woman ?

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

One of my favorite Stargate SG-1 will follow... I just can't remember the season or how to go at looking that up so I'll just summarize it here. I hate clip shows but this one was redeemed with that line.

When that random guy is shown having visions of SG-1 missions and he's writing novels/books about them. At one point they're discussing it and someone mentions they go both ways and I think it's Daniel, he turns around looking at O'Neill going "You've been seeing parts of his life for the past 6(7? 8?) years and didn't tell anyone?".

O'Neill's expression and answer sealed that awesome moment!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hemish posted:

One of my favorite Stargate SG-1 will follow... I just can't remember the season or how to go at looking that up so I'll just summarize it here. I hate clip shows but this one was redeemed with that line.

When that random guy is shown having visions of SG-1 missions and he's writing novels/books about them. At one point they're discussing it and someone mentions they go both ways and I think it's Daniel, he turns around looking at O'Neill going "You've been seeing parts of his life for the past 6(7? 8?) years and didn't tell anyone?".

It was bowling night and Jack was all "I'm sure I mentioned it."

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hemish posted:

8x15, Citizen Joe.

The guy was played by Dan Castellaneta, aka Homer Simpson. O'Neill is a big Simpsons fan you see.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

IRQ posted:

8x15, Citizen Joe.

The guy was played by Dan Castellaneta, aka Homer Simpson. O'Neill is a big Simpsons fan you see.

This was one of the first episodes I ever saw. I thought it was awesome.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

IRQ posted:

8x15, Citizen Joe.

I didn't know he was the voice of Homer Simpsons. My voice actor for Homer Simpsons is the same guy dubbing Mel Gibson in french.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hemish posted:

I didn't know he was the voice of Homer Simpsons. My voice actor for Homer Simpsons is the same guy dubbing Mel Gibson in french.

Yup, I remember it being kind of a big deal at the time that he was on Stargate because the guy makes truckloads of money for every Simpsons episode. I can't remember for sure but I think there was some mutual love between him and RDA for their respective shows. I know RDA guest starred on The Simpsons around that time too.

It was sort of a gimmick episode in addition to being a clip show but I agree with you that it was among the better clip shows out there.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I'm really hating the out of synch episodes on netflix. Weeks after reporting they are still not fixed.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Speaking of Netflix, I just got it the other day, and am having some issues watching it on my PS3.

It works fine, but it insists on showing me a center cut, even in the menu (I have a 4:3 TV). Is there anyway to force the Netflix app to listen to the PS3 and display in the correct mode?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

IRQ posted:

Yup, I remember it being kind of a big deal at the time that he was on Stargate because the guy makes truckloads of money for every Simpsons episode. I can't remember for sure but I think there was some mutual love between him and RDA for their respective shows. I know RDA guest starred on The Simpsons around that time too.

There was the episode where Patty and Selma kidnap him and make him pretend to be MacGyver.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So I'm already watching SGA at work and giving no fucks.

:love: Netflix

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

JetsGuy posted:

So I'm already watching SGA at work and giving no fucks.

I only just binged through most of SGA recently and I felt like such a douchebag for writing it off when it was actually airing. Show is entertaining as all gently caress in spite of having to put up with Teyla.

:love: Todd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Paradoxish posted:

I only just binged through most of SGA recently and I felt like such a douchebag for writing it off when it was actually airing. Show is entertaining as all gently caress in spite of having to put up with Teyla.

That will be JetsGuy when he watches season 2 of SGU.