Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Blasphemeral posted:

A USO show going to a clandestine, top-secret base? Why not?! We'll just give Kanye top secret security clearance. I'm sure nothing could go wrong.

The joke is that this is exactly what an executive wanted for Star Trek Enterprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Watching "Citizen Joe" from season 8... And I did not realize the first time around that it was Dan Castellaneta playing Joe.

Who else but Homer Simpson!

This show just gets better every time.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

Antiquated Pants posted:

Watching "Citizen Joe" from season 8... And I did not realize the first time around that it was Dan Castellaneta playing Joe.

Who else but Homer Simpson!

This show just gets better every time.

You can really tell it's him when he cries during that episode. It's really bizarre to hear.

Also, one of my favorite SG-1 episodes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I always forget about the drat exploding tumor

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

How can you? It’s very funny.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My brain deletes the information so I can enjoy the frustration anew each time.

Edit: my favorite thing about Stargate is how the enemies, be they enslaving worms or soulless nanites or life-sucking bugmen, will always pop the team in a prison cell. Sometimes it's for information or leverage, but sometimes it's just because Stargate.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 15, 2018

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

Edit: my favorite thing about Stargate is how the enemies, be they enslaving worms or soulless nanites or life-sucking bugmen, will always pop the team in a prison cell. Sometimes it's for information or leverage, but sometimes it's just because Stargate.
haha it works both ways too!
Daniel captures Valla after she steals the Prometheus? BRIG!
Carter gets Jolinar'ed? Forcefield Prison Cubbie!

I bought all of SG1 and Atlantis on DVD one year ago now and I'm now on Season 8. It's great to run through it all considering I missed at least half the original airings. I just saw the two-parter where they go back in time to 3000BC Egypt (Moebius) and mess up the timeline and it is funny how many references to earlier episodes there are. Amanda Tapping does a great job of playing an almost completely different personality, and I love that they re-use one of the most cringe-worthy lines in the whole series.

Was I on :catdrugs: though or does Moebius and the previous episode "Threads" end with an identical scene except for a couple lines of dialog? That was a bit of a strange choice.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

If I recall that was due to be the end of the show, so the final scene was a call back ... minus the fish

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Ratjaculation posted:

If I recall that was due to be the end of the show, so the final scene was a call back ... minus the fish
What I found fun about season 8 was that there were like 3 good points they could have just ended the show. Annubis gets sucked up? The End. The replicators are destroyed and all Jaffa are free? The End. Timeline reset and all the previous victories are again won? The End. Err Dan Castellaneta gains closure and we get a video game tie-in and Claudia Black gets to be in an episode in the same season? The End!

It feels very fulfilling to have so many things wrapped up and that the stakes are so high in those episodes, they each feel like an exciting climax.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

I know a lot of people that aren't fans of The Ori, but I actually like how all the priors answer every question with an apt parable.

It's frustratingly satisfying.

Hallowed are the Ori.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I loved the Ori. They feel very familiar. Like, oh, most of the forces of theocratic evil in our own world.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ori be upon you.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Didn’t the Ori kill Jonah and his planet in a throwaway line?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Ratjaculation posted:

Didn’t the Ori kill Jonah and his planet in a throwaway line?

They conquered his planet yeah, though you never hear what happened to Jonas. They were still around after the Ori got kicked out by the ark of truth though, they go back there in Universe.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

After wearing a polo shirt with goofy haircut in that drilling episode I assume he went into the earthling fashion industry and made billions

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

vandelay industries posted:

You can really tell it's him when he cries during that episode. It's really bizarre to hear.

Also, one of my favorite SG-1 episodes.

"Jack, you've been having dreams of being a middle aged barber in middle America on a regular basis and never told us?"

"No, I'm sure I told you.....Did I not tell you? Oh, my bad"

How they even make a clip show just amazing all around was a triumph of writing and acting.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

pentyne posted:

"Jack, you've been having dreams of being a middle aged barber in middle America on a regular basis and never told us?"

How they even make a clip show just amazing all around was a triumph of writing and acting.

It doesn't even feel like a retcon of not mentioning the stone however many years ago...I have no problem believing Jack legitimately found it relaxing and not worrisome at all the whole time.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

pentyne posted:

Citizen Joe was the first episode I ever saw, and that was the line that made me go back and watch from the start. Worth it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He liked fishing in a pond with no fish, he totally would dream that way regardless of any stones.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Part of the joke is definitely that he quotes the Simpsons a bunch through the series

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CapnBry posted:

I love that they re-use one of the most cringe-worthy lines in the whole series.

They don't just use it, they fourth wall it.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Yeah just watched that episode and it's hilarious.

"God who would ever say anything so stupid??"

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

They use it a third time in "200" when puppet Carter is introduced and doing a technobabble montage.

They did not want that line to die!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Rewatching the SG1 pilot. Imagine if the show was all tits and gore... the Game of Thrones of it’s time

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They remade the pilot into a director's cut version that gets rid of the tits. Not sure how to feel about it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

On the one hand it's way less cringey and fits the tone of the series better.
On the other hand I remember the directors cut also cutting out Apophis' "nice tits" head nod and that's a shame.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It makes more sense if you’re going to rerun the episode in syndication. It could have gotten a lot more nudity if it had stayed on Cinemax or Starz or wherever it started on.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Showtime.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I always forget this goofy show spent five years(!) on Showtime before moving to The Sci-Fi Channel

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Did anyone keep watching Origins? I quit but it must be over by now right? How bad did it wind up?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

IRQ posted:

Did anyone keep watching Origins? I quit but it must be over by now right? How bad did it wind up?

Survey says: "Dicks".

(I tried to find the actual survey board with "Bad" on it, but I couldn't. I considered making one myself in paint, but :effort: )

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

IRQ posted:

It was pretty bad, Aset mind wipes Katherine and her father, Also messes with Kasufs mind telling him to go become the leader of Naquadah and help the holder of the Ra pendant in the future. Ra shows up kills Wasif and his boyfriend and raises them as jackal and hawk guards? Beil dies dialing the gate. Katherine and her father get back to earth, No one asks any hard questions concerning the dead nazi or anything else.

Pretty terrible all around. Kasuf no longer helps the team from the movie cause he’s a good person but because he’s been brainwashed to do so.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

It makes more sense if you’re going to rerun the episode in syndication. It could have gotten a lot more nudity if it had stayed on Cinemax or Starz or wherever it started on.

Showtime had 5 years to do more nudity if they wanted and didn't. The spiciest they ever got past the first ep was O'Neill saying "bullshit"

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

I stopped after the first week but they emailed and said they'd have a code where you could download the whole season except in a single video file without the credits every 5-7 minutes so I'm waiting for that. Did I miss that? Did I also miss this "An authenticated, members-only digital edition of the Stargate Origins pilot script. (Will be distributed after the final episode is released)."? oh hahaha wait a copy of the pilot script? That's like 5 pages. derentis!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It just clicked that the last season of Atlantis was a decade ago. This makes me sad. There used to be so much Stargate.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
*So* much Stargate. I'm a year into my binge watch and I just finished Season 8 and I thought oh no it is almost over, but no there's still 2 seasons of SG-1, 5x Atlantis, 2x Universe, and the movies. I'm not even half way yet, bitches! Also I am going to rewatch the pilot because I saw the re-cut to start this off and nobody told me there was a saucier version!

I can't imagine a Game of Thrones style Stargate series where all the aliens are always having teh sex with naked people. All of the Gouald boasting would be about the size of their territories and how many people they get into their hatak for a bunga bunga party. There would also need to be some sort of velvet pillow area added to the bridge which if you ask me doesn't have nearly enough seating as it is.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jedit posted:

They don't just use it, they fourth wall it.

"I remember a man, bald and wearing short sleeves, he's very important to me... I think his name is Homer."

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brawnfire posted:

It just clicked that the last season of Atlantis was a decade ago. This makes me sad. There used to be so much Stargate.

And Jason Momoa just took his pal Joe Flanigan to Vegas for his birthday.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

They really dropped the galactic bridge like a loving hot potato after that Wraith incursion. I can see why, but drat if less than two operational years for humankind's first trans-galactic highway seems sort of... pathetic? Disheartening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The gate bridge is one of those things we're really not supposed to think very hard about.