Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They should use sarcoophagus technology to keep sushi extra fresh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

DrNutt posted:

That sounds awesome. The 90s Outer Limits I'm assuming?

Yeah. Someone put it up on Daily Motion unsurprisingly.

It's silly 90s scifi fantasy but it's fun

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x61lcrf

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

banned from Starbucks posted:

They took those from the planet where apophis jaffa were doing their infiltration war games thing in the woods.

This was the first episode of SG-1 I ever saw and 10 year old me thought it was the coolest loving thing I'd ever seen. Still do.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Mu Zeta posted:

They should use sarcoophagus technology to keep sushi extra fresh

Yeah but then the sushi would go evil over time

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Tsaedje posted:

Yeah but then the sushi would go evil over time

Man, I have had way too many prolonged conversations about how that works.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

mossyfisk posted:

Man, I have had way too many prolonged conversations about how that works.

How does that work? And why didn't O'Neill go evil after being tortured by Baal.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Aleph Null posted:

How does that work? And why didn't O'Neill go evil after being tortured by Baal.

He already is evil, he just was also selfish and wanted to sit around fishing instead of ruling the galaxy with fear.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Daniel says he's reaching the point of no return with the evil soul draining effect, but he never quite gets there.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I started a re-watch of the franchise and except for a couple of episodes SG-1 has to have one of the most solid first seasons of any scifi franchise.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Stargate is watchable, replied the Stargate thread.

Take that Trek nerds.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zesty posted:

Stargate is watchable, replied the Stargate thread.

Take that Trek nerds.

Don't bring them into it, they have enough problems

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I thought that it was using the sarcophagus for more than just healing injuries has the evil side effect.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Sarcophagus use makes you evil. Goa'uld inherit genetic memory from their forbears, so ALL Goa'uld are evil. Sarcophagus tech is based on the Ancient version.

Just like all problems, even the Goa'uld being villains is entirely the Ancients' fault.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That episode was great. Ghost Daniel and Jack were so good. I miss those days.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I love Ba'al episodes. He just has so much charisma, and he makes a hell of a lot of sense even when he's dropping knives at you somehow. He's one of the few Goa'uld I actually felt decently threatened by, most of the others were far too silly. Ba'al rejected or ignored a lot of the ceremony and finery and focused on pragmatism. I also liked how he took very easily to human ways, hiding among the business class because he had exactly the temperament and ruthlessness to excel there.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
They should have had an episode where they cold open on what looks like present day Earth, and then follow a group discovering the Stargate, learning how it works, assembling a team to go through it. Basically the plot of the first half of the film. Then right at the end, they dial a random planet to start exploring the universe, go through the Stargate for the first time, and are instantly disintegrated by the closed Iris on Earth. A quick scene of SG Command shrugging off the incident and going about their day, and then credits.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Ancient engineer 1: "Alright, the first two Stargate are in place and ready to be used!"

Ancient engineer 2: "I can't see the other side. How do you know that it's safe to use?"

Ancient engineer 1: "It successfully connected."

Ancient engineer 2: "What if something is blocking the other side?

Ancient engineer 1:" I didn't explicitly build anything into the Stargate to block it so it shouldn't happen. "

Ancient engineer 2: "Good enough for me." [stamps 'approved for universe wide deployment' on the form]

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Jack: Another evil enemy defeated
T'ealc: Indeed

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I was showing some of Stargate to my mom, and we got to the episode where Daniel's wife is freed from goa'uld control as a side effect of pregnancy, and my mom really focused on how apparently they just found the cure for infection and just forgot about it.

Inject a bunch of hormones into a host, and bam.

CityMidnightJunky posted:

They should have had an episode where they cold open on what looks like present day Earth, and then follow a group discovering the Stargate, learning how it works, assembling a team to go through it. Basically the plot of the first half of the film. Then right at the end, they dial a random planet to start exploring the universe, go through the Stargate for the first time, and are instantly disintegrated by the closed Iris on Earth. A quick scene of SG Command shrugging off the incident and going about their day, and then credits.

That one episode where Odo thudded on the other end of the gate.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The Goa’uld probably voluntarily suppressed itself for the kid rather than being forced into it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Why wouldn't they send a drone first?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Open Source Idiom posted:

They are not very good at exploring yet.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Drones are expensive and get rekt all the time.

Marines are cheaper.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

We didnt.

ErnestNeverForget :911:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Still kind of have to wonder why the MALP didn't get smaller as time went on. It remained that 6 wheeled monstrosity.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Floppychop posted:

Still kind of have to wonder why the MALP didn't get smaller as time went on. It remained that 6 wheeled monstrosity.

They already had the prop and no one questioned it.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Floppychop posted:

It's cool

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
How could you forget MALP on a stick?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Paused posted:

How could you forget MALP on a stick?

Is that like a router on a stick?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

They tried aerial drones a few times but I think none of those survived their first trip.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

They also only brought missile launchers like twice.

I think the powerwheels covered in crud they use for the MALP was way cheaper than CGing anything flying and exploding (as everything must inevitably do).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I always liked when they'd send a MALP to find a MALP they sent. So the MALP would be looking at this MALP like "sup"

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

I always liked when they'd send a MALP to find a MALP they sent. So the MALP would be looking at this MALP like "sup"

Well they had to make another one after the first one stopped moving and what were they gonna do, throw the old one out?

That or they needed a non mobile one for some scene at some point.

Some episodes just feel like the writers ran out of ideas, had already spent the entire budget for the season and went to the prop room and said "what can we do with what we have".

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I'm glad we're seemingly past the days of 20 episode seasons for shows like this.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I like when they strapped a 50cal on top of one to slaughter the dozens of jaffa suicide charging over the hill in the ep they kill shaur'i

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

IRQ posted:

I'm glad we're seemingly past the days of 20 episode seasons for shows like this.

I hate that we are past them. Sure we get some stinkers, but it means not every episode has to be plot important. The writers can play around with a concept without worrying about how it effects the greater narrative.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I like the first season a lot because it's hilariously uneven and there are at least two episodes where it feels like Showtime probably wanted there to be nudity like the pilot and someone said no. Hathor and Brief Candle iirc

It's a lot more fun than season one of TNG, even though I like TNG better in general (and for whatever dumb reason can't stop comparing them to one another).

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

DrNutt posted:

I like the first season a lot because it's hilariously uneven and there are at least two episodes where it feels like Showtime probably wanted there to be nudity like the pilot and someone said no. Hathor and Brief Candle iirc

It's a lot more fun than season one of TNG, even though I like TNG better in general (and for whatever dumb reason can't stop comparing them to one another).

It's an easy comparison to make since they both have the exact same third episode written by literally the same person.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Wicked Them Beats posted:

It's an easy comparison to make since they both have the exact same third episode written by literally the same person.

And they both suuuuuuuuuuuuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Floppychop posted:

I thought that it was using the sarcophagus for more than just healing injuries has the evil side effect.

Yeah, Jack wasn't being driven crazy by the sarcophagus per se but by being tortured to death and resurrected over and over to experience it again. Goa'ulds treat the thing like a visit to the spa, that's what messes them up.