Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Flannigan and Tapping selling out first makes sense they always seemed to be the most "hyped/into" the show outside it being an acting job. Any new Stargate property should have both on board even if it's a reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Jack2142 posted:

Flannigan and Tapping selling out first makes sense they always seemed to be the most "hyped/into" the show outside it being an acting job. Any new Stargate property should have both on board even if it's a reboot.

Ideally they'd be involved directly with the production because Tapping is a director (and I think producer) now and Flannigan has been trying to get Stargate going again for like a decade at this point.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Honestly, at this point if we're going to get a Stargate series "reboot" I'd rather it go in the direction of The Orville and ditch everything but some of the core ideas. "Aliens built the pyramids as landing pads for their spaceships" and "Egyptian culture actually came from space" are just such yikes concepts in 2020.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Zurui posted:

Honestly, at this point if we're going to get a Stargate series "reboot" I'd rather it go in the direction of The Orville and ditch everything but some of the core ideas. "Aliens built the pyramids as landing pads for their spaceships" and "Egyptian culture actually came from space" are just such yikes concepts in 2020.

It didn't seem so bad compared to "Oh coochie moya, I am far from the ceremonial totem poles of my ancestors, please listen to me through my magical but also technological futuristic indigenous person spirit guide device"

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I don't hold it as a strike against the creators, but SG-1 reeks of orientalism. All of the Goa'uld are pastiches of Asian or African cultures, while the "good guy" aliens are the white people gods. The show course-corrects a little with the Ori arc but it is pretty gross once you notice.

But yeah, the show has nothing on "religion is fake except for the Native American gods who are actually aliens"

8one6
May 20, 2012

Zurui posted:

You're not wrong that Ancient Aliens is a problematic concept (especially the "aliens are directly responsible for all human cultures" because, like you said, fuckin' yikes) but I'm not sure how it's not also the core concept of the franchise.

I guess "team of adventurers walk through portal every week" is the show at it's most basic level. If you're going to get rid of the ancient aliens thing altogether instead of finding a way to make it less problematic* they you'd definitely need to ditch the military part because there's no way in hell "heroic military uses alien weapons/magic to defend earth" is anything other than a fantasy concept in 2020.

*I believe there are definitely ways to use the idea without it immediately devolving into racist poo poo.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Zurui posted:

I don't hold it as a strike against the creators, but SG-1 reeks of orientalism. All of the Goa'uld are pastiches of Asian or African cultures, while the "good guy" aliens are the white people gods. The show course-corrects a little with the Ori arc but it is pretty gross once you notice.

But yeah, the show has nothing on "religion is fake except for the Native American gods who are actually aliens"

Sokar (S2) was explicitly posing as the biblical Satan at times. They heard about him through visiting a Christian village which was rare.

Cronus (S3), Ares(S8 with First Prime Wayne Brady) Nerus(S9), and Athena(S9)

Morrigan(S5) and Camulus(S8)

I think the Goa'uld ship design being based on Egyptians made it so that the vast majority of Goa'uld tended to be from Egypt. They tried to diversify afterwards but the Lore is that travel to Earth was uncommon after the uprising/burial of the Stargate. Earth didn't have naquadah/naquadriah as a natural resource, and the Goa'ulds already transplanted humans all over so they didn't have a reason to return.

https://twitter.com/bradtravelers/status/1270215995806760960?s=20

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The 100 is airing its final season right now and it's basically Stargate. They have portals that go to mysterious places and the latest cliffhanger is that they are stranded because they are missing a DHD. One portal leads to a place where time moves slowly. Another is an ice planet.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Yeah, I remember the Christian village one was actually a little refreshing. I totally forgot about Morrigan and her bondage assistants. Cronus is hilarious not only for being just so over-the-top cheesy but also because they apparently couldn't get someone who spoke Greek to translate his throne text - half of it is in poorly-spelled Latin.

But yeah, "team of adventurers go on interstellar adventures through a gate" is clearly a viable concept and I think that with a little more clever writing you could work in ancient aliens, it would just have to be less overtly racist in the 2020s.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

The 100 is airing its final season right now and it's basically Stargate. They have portals that go to mysterious places and the latest cliffhanger is that they are stranded because they are missing a DHD. One portal leads to a place where time moves slowly. Another is an ice planet.

I thought The 100 was a post-apoc show. When did it turn into Stargate? And is it an enjoyable watch?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's a ton of fun. Great cast and set pieces. They went full on crazy with the final season.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Zurui posted:

I think you could make it work if you played more into the Goa'uld having been based in Egypt because it was already the most advanced area, and so it made sense to take them as slaves. Also play up the fact that it was the Egyptians that drove Ra off Earth.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If Stargate comes back, it's going to be just as bad as Discovery and Picard.

Doesn't really fit in the same Universe. Totally misses the point of what made the originals good.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Zurui posted:

You know there was an SG-1 episode where the Native American gods were actually aliens right?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Zurui posted:

Nope, I want to find out the fate of Destiny and crew.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Nope, I want to find out the fate of Destiny and crew.

David Blue got swole as gently caress so I want them to find Eli after he's resorted to cannabalism and crossfit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Rhyno posted:

David Blue got swole as gently caress so I want them to find Eli after he's resorted to cannabalism and crossfit.

That would be hilarious. "I found a program in the ancient computer which had the most efficient workout program in the universe. 'Madness' is the best translation of the name I could figure out."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Eli is totally a libertarian technocrat now that does intermittent fasting and gets blood transfusions from young boys to steal their youth like Peter Thiel

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
have him left behind on a primitive planet and he had to live like a caveman for a awhile, got strongk

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Stargate does kinda just take a hard atheist perspective on religion, which feels a little uncomfortable.

Zurui posted:

And, to be fair, both the Asgardians and Ancients/Ori created HUGE loving DISASTERS that nearly wiped out several galaxies, so maybe hippie plant-hair Quark and his buddies had the right idea.

What disasters did the Asgard cause? I thought they just wound up getting wiped out by the garbage that the Ancients left behind.

8one6
May 20, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

... .
What disasters did the Asgard cause? I thought they just wound up getting wiped out by the garbage that the Ancients left behind.
The replicators were essentially their fault. It's implied that they found them on some planet in their galaxy and while studying them the replicators got loose and became the wave of destruction that almost wiped everything out until SG-1 saved everyone.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
It's implied that the Ancients created Reese, the android, who created the block-form Replicators. This was from a long time ago.

Asgards found them more recently and then experimented with them. They got loose and 'assimilated' Asgard technology which gave them interstellar travel.

The Asgards relocated to the Milky Way because Replicators had consumed their home (Ida) Galaxy.

It's a shared fuckup.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

Stargate does kinda just take a hard atheist perspective on religion, which feels a little uncomfortable.

I still remember the little after school special scene they had when they introduced the Ori where all the main characters discussed how just because they kept running into nearly supernatural non-corporeal energy beings of incredible power doesn't mean there's not really a god out there for realsies

I don't think the people making Stargate ever really wanted to make a statement like that, it just wasn't that kind of a show. But even if they had, so what?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They absolutely were taking that as a hard stance all the time. It was the entire point of the Goa’uld and Ori story arcs.

Organized religion literally or figuratively enslaving people using fear and empty promises that benefited only the people in power.

Goa’uld represented ancient gods (literally) and the Ori was just straight up representing Christianity.

If that makes you uncomfortable... good? That’s the point.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 16, 2020

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
And they all decided that staff based projectile weapons were the true evolution of warfare

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjlCVW_ouL8

Ori soldiers also had a wrist-based energy weapon, which is reminicent of the Kull warrior weapons.

Honestly when you have Priors spreading plagues and actual gods, you don't really need ground soldier weapons.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Zesty posted:

They absolutely were taking that as a hard stance all the time. It was the entire point of the Goa’uld and Ori story arcs.

Organized religion literally or figuratively enslaving people using fear and empty promises that benefited only the people in power.

Goa’uld represented ancient gods (literally) and the Ori was just straight up representing Christianity.

If that makes you uncomfortable... good? That’s the point.

I mean, this sort of sophomore-level antitheistic analysis is definitely present in the show but it can't be isolated from messages like the fact that the Tollan Curia was also unjust and their over-reliance on rationality led to the destruction of their civilization. To call a critique of organized religion "the entire point" of the show is projection at best.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
SG1 was more an action adventure series, aside from occasional specific individual episodes with a clear message there was likely never any kind of deliberate point being made with their over the top, cartoonish villains. "Evil religious fanatic/cult leader" is basically a stock character. That said "be weary of organized religion and it's peddlers" is a perfectly reasonable stance for a story to take and if there was some of that in Stargate, then the show was better for it

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
My wish for bringing Stargate back would be as a soft reboot of sorts, jump forward to present day but an alternate future in which the Stargate program eventually goes public. You can deal with the ramifications of that while still having the need for SG teams going out and exploring poo poo. You also have an in to bring back former cast members in leadership/mentor roles.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

J33uk posted:

And they all decided that staff based projectile weapons were the true evolution of warfare
But also eschewed all manners of aiming assistance for hip-firing with a several second delay between shots. It is a good thing that for thousands of years most of the galaxy has been renaissance villages or people that only live a few days so they can just shock and awe them. Have they ever shown the targeting system in a death glider? I bet it doesn't even have one and the pilot just has to line it up with the ribs in the canopy transparent naquida-glass.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

That would be hilarious. "I found a program in the ancient computer which had the most efficient workout program in the universe. 'Madness' is the best translation of the name I could figure out."

A Universe continuation will never happen now, but you could even account for the age of the cast by just saying that they've been in there for thousands of years and the stasis pods still had them aging, just really slowly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

CapnBry posted:

But also eschewed all manners of aiming assistance for hip-firing with a several second delay between shots. It is a good thing that for thousands of years most of the galaxy has been renaissance villages or people that only live a few days so they can just shock and awe them. Have they ever shown the targeting system in a death glider? I bet it doesn't even have one and the pilot just has to line it up with the ribs in the canopy transparent naquida-glass.

As was pointed out in the video xerxus posted, the staff weapon is simply meant to terrify people and to also execute people at short range. The Goa'uld decimated anyone who got too advanced, so there was no need to come up with more accurate weapons. And when they fought each other, well, killing each other didn't really matter, it was mostly just about fighting with someone you're squabbling with and eventually one of them just gets bored.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

The Goa'uld decimated anyone who got too advanced, so there was no need to come up with more accurate weapons.

Except for all those aliens from that space race episode

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Cojawfee posted:

As was pointed out in the video xerxus posted, the staff weapon is simply meant to terrify people and to also execute people at short range. The Goa'uld decimated anyone who got too advanced, so there was no need to come up with more accurate weapons. And when they fought each other, well, killing each other didn't really matter, it was mostly just about fighting with someone you're squabbling with and eventually one of them just gets bored.

Its all fun and games till they bring out the zats.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zurui posted:

I mean, this sort of sophomore-level antitheistic analysis is definitely present in the show but it can't be isolated from messages like the fact that the Tollan Curia was also unjust and their over-reliance on rationality led to the destruction of their civilization. To call a critique of organized religion "the entire point" of the show is projection at best.

One interpreted theme from one episode does not negate the very obvious overall message the show was imparting.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Leaked shot from sexy new Stargate series

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You get used to it, but when you go through the wormhole, everything gets very sexy.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Tighclops posted:

Except for all those aliens from that space race episode

I've always been a little confused by that. How did all of those guys not get flattened by a System Lord at some point?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cojawfee posted:

You get used to it, but when you go through the wormhole, everything gets very sexy.

That would explain Sheppard's hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Polaron posted:

I've always been a little confused by that. How did all of those guys not get flattened by a System Lord at some point?

Aren't there like 200 million solar systems in the galaxy? It takes a while to explore them all.