Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

I would guess if there's a new series and Tapping is involved she'll be the general of Stargate Command or something and the main cast will be all new people.

The General of the SGU and not the Captain of a new Earth ship? Say...The Sunzhu?

Vietnamwees fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

banned from Starbucks posted:

The general to do what? Fight *scans religions on wikipedia* Lord Xenu the scientologist goauld? Sit on the bridge of another limp dick notStar Trek ship?

This is the real issue, they basically made earth itself the zat gun problem, there's not much you can do with it because it's been written too powerful. They've got a bunch of ships, super advanced tech, and Atlantis floating around in the San Francisco Bay, if they continue that it's off-brand Trek.

The show was at it's best when earth was the underdog. They could do a show about the NID teams without really stepping on SG1's continuity too much, or go back to WWII era stuff. I'm fully on board with nazi goa'ulds.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Easy, spinoff of what a different SG team was doing while SG-1 was saving the galaxy.

but seriously, the SGU continuation sounds good

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In the year 1928, Dr. Langford discovered in Egypt the remains of an ancient spacefaring civlization. In the decades that followed, these mysterious artifacts revealed startling new technologies, enabling travel to the furthest stars. The basis for this incredible technology was a force that controlled the very fabric of space and time.

They called it the greatest discovery in human history.

The civlizations of the galaxy call it...

Mass Effect Stargate

Just set it hundreds of years in the future. They've already done all they can with real world stuff.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Floppychop posted:

Easy, spinoff of what a different SG team was doing while SG-1 was saving the galaxy.

Without Hammond of Texas? I just can't see it working.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I feel like the concerns about it returning as "Star Trek we have at home" were a lot more valid when there was TNG-style Trek still being made.

The relative success of the Orville, in spite of all the baggage, seems to indicate there is a market out there.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why do you even need the IP if you're just going to make generic spaceship show and ignore the actual stargate?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can do both like The Expanse.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Why do you even need the IP if you're just going to make generic spaceship show and ignore the actual stargate?

I think that's the big disconnect; the Gate is just a vehicle for the stories like any other, and if the new content somehow manages to tap into what made the originals good then whether the physical gate is the centre of the show or not is pretty inconsequential.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Oh yeah, also continue Atlantis, because they just abandoned the Pegasus galaxy to the Wraith and there's nothing stopping them coming after the Milky Way if they can succeed in getting here, which they already almost did more than once, right?

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Yeah, Atlantis was clearly building up to a movie-budget outing where the Wraith make it to Earth and start culling etc. It would have been loving rad.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Earth had all of Asgard knowledge, and had multiple Ancient databases. It's just too powerful and there's not a lot of room for stories.

They should just reboot the series and allow for cameos via a quantum mirror or something.

And maybe actually have world disclosure sometime in the run.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'd be down for a complete reboot. I'm not sure where they would even go from here. The Ori were an annoying deus ex machina, and I don't know what they could do for a new big bad enemy. As mentioned, The Tau'ri have too much technology and knowledge for any lesser big bads to make any sense. Maybe they could switch things up and start out with a miniseries in the 30s or 40s and humans from another world discover the Earth address from legends of an ancient home world. The Stargate was discovered on Earth and was placed in a museum or government storage or something. They show up, our government goes nuts about them, we get to see things from the other side of the coin. Then they can go into a full series of a rebooted SG-1 in the modern day.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

At this point I'd go for a complete reboot as well. I just want someone in charge of it who understands what worked for SG1 and Atlantis and why it worked.

Also bring back 20 episode seasons so they can do cool one-off episodes again.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

SG1 suffered from massive power creep. Always had to have a stronger big bad. whereas I found that some of the better episodes were the ones dealing with the political power struggles on earth.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

xerxus posted:

Earth had all of Asgard knowledge, and had multiple Ancient databases. It's just too powerful and there's not a lot of room for stories.

They should just reboot the series and allow for cameos via a quantum mirror or something.

And maybe actually have world disclosure sometime in the run.

I actually would like to see humanity take up the mantle of the ancients to be honest. Teaching, setting up societies, advancing knowledge. Maybe an extra-galactic threat but you have the Wraith for that and they are pretty drat intelligent.

Like I feel at this point one of the best things about the show was watching humanity grow into this new role, rather than resetting everything at the end of the week. Its not really something I've seen done in another show and it's one of the parts I was most invested in -- continuity is drat rewarding when you've been streaming 10 years of tv into your brain in a few months.

But there's also room for like, a loving radical take on how a sudden technology improvement would change us, and segregate us and so on (Like it did the Ancients and the Ori). Show humans setting up in another galaxy and us loving up, focus on the new beings we meet and our relationship to ourselves after growing into this species that's inherited an amazing and fantastic burden. Having all the Ancient and Asgard knowledge doesn't mean we immediately understand it, and there's still a lot of manoeuvring you can do as long as you're not lazy about it (Like how they hosed up the "humanity as a utopia" premise in post-TNG Trek because the writers were lazy and wanted to write what they knew).

IMO seeing them loving, erase all of that would just be supremely dissatisfying.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 09:28 on May 27, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Also I dunno why the asgard couldnt have just beamed their brains into computers and let humanity have a shot at fixing them, or like, kept a few around in stasis and some mind copies just in case things turns out different.

"Everything that can be done has failed" is like,,, a,, no you said that about the Replicators :(

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Or just done like any sci fi thing ever

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

snip

Amanda Tapping cant carry a franchise when shes pushing 60.

/snip

Really wtf. I hope someone has told her she's basically dead now!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeah even if she's not up for running around damp forests every week Amanda Tapping could do the General Hammond type role fantastically.

Edir: also I will never give up on the idea that they should had had the Ori convert parts of Earth and dealt with the fallout of them gaining followers just by sharing all the advanced technologies that the Staff are program had discovered but hidden from the world.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 27, 2021

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Senor Tron posted:

Yeah even if she's not up for running around damp forests every week Amanda Tapping could do the General Hammond type role fantastically.

Just need RDA to hand over command in a quick flash back scene since he did make General after Don S. Davis died.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Goblin Craft posted:

so I can only imagine the hurdle fans must have faced when it was first airing and they couldn't binge through the first 10-12 episodes or whatever.

For context on what it felt like on release, here are the characters I remember, with impressions I had at the time:

Eli (who is great and the only shining ray of comedy)
Hot soldier guy
Hot nurse gal
Gaius Baltar
Diplomat(?? civilian, anyway) woman, in love triangle with Eli and Hot Soldier Guy. Has sex with soldier guy when they all think they're about to die (ship's flying into a star, I think?). As much as I like Eli (his name is Eli, right?) I can't fault her for this when the goal is one last lay before she dies.

I do clearly remember a great moment: Rush has been getting more and more stressed as the episodes go on, snapping at people more and more easily. This builds to him just collapsing in the middle of a tirade. Comes to sometime much later, Hot Nurse (Medic, not nurse?) looking at him.

"So how many cups of coffee do you normally drink in a day?"
[Rush puts a hand to his head, embarrassed]
"Everybody's dealing with caffeine withdrawal. Don't be hard on yourself about it."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Dang I would be like a super human on that ship. All I drink is water.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cojawfee posted:

Dang I would be like a super human on that ship. All I drink is water.

There's an episode about that, you'd have been a bit unhappy as it turns out.

I think that was actually one of the better episodes though, one where the writers actually remembered they had a Stargate.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

ClydeFrog posted:

Really wtf. I hope someone has told her she's basically dead now!

Senor Tron posted:

Could she play a minor roll as the new General Hammond? Sure. But noone is flocking to a new series, especially new viewers, because Amanda Tapping sits around saying "mission approved" every other episode.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Me.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

Could she play a minor roll as the new General Hammond? Sure. But noone is flocking to a new series, especially new viewers, because Amanda Tapping sits around saying "mission approved" every other episode.

The bit I'm not getting is that being 60 means she suddenly can't do anything other than sit behind a desk approving missions.

She's an integral part of Stargate and if Patrick Stewart can be in space at 80+ I'm just not seeing why she suddenly has to be deskbound nodding at people who go do the adventures. That's more a failure of imagination as opposed to reality. There are plenty of good opportunities to have a wise pair of hands in the field, directing operations and being hugely involved.

Ralph Macchio is 60, so is George Clooney, Tilda Swinton, Julia Lewis Dreyfus, James Spader, David Duchovny etc etc. 60 really isn't what it used to be I'm telling ya.

Almost everyone who loves Stargate also loves Carter and I for one would very much enjoy her taking a green group of newbs into space and forging them into a quip heavy force for good. If something new starts and they get her, ffs please don't waste her.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Even if Tapping wanted a more relaxed role but it's still wanted to have Carter "in the action" there's always a ship/fleet command role.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Depends what the actress wants to do too. Run and gun or be the leader sitting behind a desk.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess they could have a show where she has to go solve diplomatic issues on other worlds or something? I just want a new Stargate show with a new team without all the baggage of the previous series. The shows were great but there's no where new to go. That's probably why they went with SGU. There wasn't anything left they could do with Earth, because Earth is too powerful now, so they had to go somewhere they couldn't constantly get help from Earth.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

ClydeFrog posted:

The bit I'm not getting is that being 60 means she suddenly can't do anything other than sit behind a desk approving missions.

She's an integral part of Stargate and if Patrick Stewart can be in space at 80+ I'm just not seeing why she suddenly has to be deskbound nodding at people who go do the adventures. That's more a failure of imagination as opposed to reality. There are plenty of good opportunities to have a wise pair of hands in the field, directing operations and being hugely involved.

Ralph Macchio is 60, so is George Clooney, Tilda Swinton, Julia Lewis Dreyfus, James Spader, David Duchovny etc etc. 60 really isn't what it used to be I'm telling ya.

Amanda Tapping is not Patrick Stewart. Not by a long shot. Like come on. None of those others are helming a franchise. (YouTube doesn't count)

ClydeFrog posted:

Almost everyone who loves Stargate also loves Carter and I for one would very much enjoy her taking a green group of newbs into space and forging them into a quip heavy force for good. If something new starts and they get her, ffs please don't waste her.

Again you need to look at this from a pov other than from a person posting in sg1 threads online who is prob content with SG1 v2.0
If the current population of Stargate fans was enough we'd have gotten a new show by now.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

SG1 wouldn’t really work now. It’s either reboot city or letting Atlantis get its movie they were promised. Maybe SGU but that series is poisoned, they ain’t gonna do anything with it.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

Nah I'm just looking at this from the pov of "if new Stargate, how do we get old Stargate fans to watch". Not from a fame pov.

Obviously they could start totally afresh as well. It's just that if she is involved, I'd like it to be something palpable rather than "wink, wink, remember this person".

It was more the "she's 60" comment that was a bit off is all.

Tbh I think they should just leave it be. But I've a feeling Amazon is going to want a gritty version :(

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

ClydeFrog posted:

Nah I'm just looking at this from the pov of "if new Stargate, how do we get old Stargate fans to watch". Not from a fame pov.

Obviously they could start totally afresh as well. It's just that if she is involved, I'd like it to be something palpable rather than "wink, wink, remember this person".

It was more the "she's 60" comment that was a bit off is all.

Tbh I think they should just leave it be. But I've a feeling Amazon is going to want a gritty version :(

Amazon did The Tick though, they do comedy.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Syfy wanted Stargate to be BSG and we got SGU.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Stargate was great since the conflicts were primarily the protagonists against an outside force. Even the political more drama-heavy episodes was the SG team against the NID or Kinsey.

The hyper-drama of BSG (and the first half of SGU) of just the protagonists bickering amongst themselves is boring and tiresome.

The Expanse sort of scratches that same itch for me since for the most part the Rocinante crew is unified. Yeah they have conflicts among each other, but it's not the primary plot source.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

xerxus posted:

Doesn't mean they understand it all. Hell, I don't think at the end of SGA we ever got an answer of where ZPMs come from.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah, just because Earth has knowledge and technology doesn't mean they can apply it at all times. There's gotta be some worlds fairly deep into the Stargate network where it would just be impossible to get a ship to, and they can idk awaken the elder gods there or something, they open the Dark Gate and have a good rummage round

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Why couldn't they just do a one-time gate to one of the places Destiny dropped off a Stargate and continue from there in a new galaxy with new enemies :shrug:

Continuing Atlantis would also be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

https://twitter.com/GateWorld/status/1398013937631653896