Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
They should have kept her as a little girl, she was so much creepier and benignly threatening than the hamtacular adult version.

I liked how the Ori arc started out as a series-ender but it seemed like they had too many ideas on the table and ditched the good ones for the quick and easy. There were all these references to Arthur returning like they were building to something huge, the random girl pulls the sword out of the stone and....nothing. They entirely dropped that and just continued the stretched out quest for a thing that wouldn't be resolved till a really bad tv movie.

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

richardfun posted:

I thought Jack and Daniel were my favourite duo in the franchise.

...Jack Daniel's :aaaaa:

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Why would you write that.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

spronk posted:

I'm on board with the other points, BUT NO CARTER? How could anyone hate Samantha Carter?? Especially season 1-5 Carter, where she was a virginal technospergin' asocial shut-in. I would watch a show that had all the various alternate-reality Sam Carters solving crime and physics problems in one universe.

Sam Carter + Kirk:
http://youtu.be/KE-QSAlSGg0

The metric I use for Carter becoming a poo poo character was her increasing use of that little handheld computer that was basically a goddamn tricorder to solve every single problem.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I thought it was kind of funny how they lampooned it after he died during that replicator arc and everyone was completely unsurprised when he materialized in Jack's office.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

The Travelers were such Firefly rip offs right down to their engineer being a young spunky girl.

Also threw some Battlestar in there for good measure. A shame they didn't show up more often, only having decent screentime in the super-duper space battle and the terrible rogue Asgard 2-parter if I recall.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

The Dark One posted:

You guys like to rag on the early Showtime-era episodes, but I thought this exchange was great.

"I think what the Captain is asking is, 'What now?'"

"Now we die."

"Well, that's a bad plan."

My favourite bit of all time has to be when Bratac starts describing the dangerous journey they have to make to blow the ship's reactor and Jack just drops two grenades off the catwalk. It so perfectly lampoons the ridiculous objectives in FPS games that I always forget that the show pre-dates most of them.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Yaos posted:

Since when did Rodney get training on breaching and clearing a building?

From taking classes with Daniel Jackson, nerdy-nerd-cum-overnight-galactic-badass I assume.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Indeed. The only time we ever saw bigger gates were the Ori's super gate things.

I still wish they'd done an episode where a ship goes into a supergate and a small tube cross section comes out of a regular gate. Or the whole ship comes through, but really tiny.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
The only terrible Stargate movie was The Ark of Truth because Ori are dumb, Adria can't emote and replicator zombies.

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 21, 2011

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

JetsGuy posted:

:allears:

People who hate SG! are inhuman.

I also liked the callback to the Land of Light when they rescued the Tollan from the volcano.

What a bunch of dicks those guys were. "Yeah I guess living in a veritable Eden would be cool if we were pathetic barbarians like you :rolleyes:"

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

JetsGuy posted:

Oh, and then she nearly kills Daniel in "Forever in a Day".

That was a great episode. Heavy machine gun on a MALP, we never really saw that level of death-machine improvisation again.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Daedleh posted:

I know that the next film wraps up the Ori storyline, but still. What the hell?

The real finale is Continuum which is great since it's basically a long version of a really good regular episode and most importantly, has nothing to do with season 10.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Syfy felt there was a severe lack of characters who could fight with sticks in the early scripts.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Start with the original 1994 movie, then do SG-1, then Atlantis, then the 2 other movies.

But my personal preference would be just SG-1, Atlantis seasons 1-3 and then Continuum because the 1994 movie was weird, Ark of Truth was terrible and Atlantis was stale after season 3.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

You know other then having some of the best Atlantis episodes.

Vegas and the giant replicator battle were the only ones that stood out enough for me to remember. The Siege was the series high point, most of everything afterwards was pretty forgettable.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I always wondered what the scale of that model was, because the detail made it look pretty drat big.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I can't even remember what the dragon thing was all about, maybe because it was so retarded. Wasn't it something like a guardian for the magical Ori-killing thing but turned out to just be a hologram and the macguffin turned out to be fake?

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I don't think Claudia Black is the be-all-and-end-all of scifi actresses either. I saw her first in SG-1, then went back and watched Farscape, then saw Pitch Black and the SG1 movie and my conclusion was that she was pretty good with some great acting range (evil version was the best). I don't have a list of top female actresses but I guess she's up in the top half somewhere.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Given how troops were so expendable, I always imagined the gliders as not even having any aiming devices, pilots just had to go by feel like with the staff weapons.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Effingham posted:

Hey, I'll take Tapping cleavage (heh) over Teyla cleavage any day. At least we got fanservice out of the Mongolian episode.

Not to mention yak butter.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Noni posted:

Aww I miss those snake helmets. It was a special moment between me and the television every time someone retracted their helmet and it conspicuously only opened halfway with a klunk, like a knight with a rusty helmet. Then there would be a cut to something else for a second and the Jaffa would be shown again, standing there with his helmet having suddenly retracted the rest of the way.

It always struck me as odd that they had a full CG-sequence for the Horus helmets extending and retracting fully into their suits, but never one for the snake heads.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
It got really weird and cheesy sometimes, but Jeremiah was a pretty great show.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Saw Joe Flanigan at work today, guy was reading psych books while having dinner as I tried my best not to stare from the bar. Seemed pretty nice, though no one else knew who he was.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I'm in Toronto so I thought he was here early for the film festival but in hindsight it's more likely to be for Fan Expo.

It was actually really strange how none of my coworkers knew of him or Stargate but when told that he was on a Space channel show, more than half of them went "Atlantis?"

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 26, 2012

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

MrBling posted:

On the other hand, the episode where Maybourne is king of an entire planet is one of the best SG-1 episodes in the entire show, not just in terms of "mad with power" storylines.

Of course, that is just because it has Maybourne.

I thought it was the best because of First Prime Wayne Brady. They really missed the boat on getting him to spontaneously break into song for no reason.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Jimbot posted:

I must be a mutant to think that the first few seasons are probably the best mainly because we didn't get to the point of having big space battles with the bad guys and had to make due with inferior technology and use their hubris against them. When it got to us having fleets of space ships fight their fleets of space ships the show kind of lost something for me, but I still did enjoy it.

Definitely enjoyed that as well - and watching our great military machine fall victim to the same hubris was fun as well.

:eng101: "Ah don't worry about that mothership, these enhanced nukes courtesy of good ol american ingenuity will handle things :smug:
:eng99: "...they have shields"

And even when Earth got its first big spaceship, it was a rickety box that couldn't stand up to a single mothership. That said, I didn't mind all of the Earth space force stuff later because they took the time building up to it and after 7-8 seasons it was good to have a thematic shift.

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 2, 2013

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
It's really funny when you start paying attention to the foliage and notice that in instances like that 2-parter set in South America, they're in the same forest but with a few strategically placed equatorial-tropical plants. It's honestly impressive how much mileage they got out of those outdoor locations, I never noticed similarities upon first viewings until Atlantis and the last season of SG-1 kept using the same goddamn log cabin villages.

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 2, 2013

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

Apophis owns real hard. He was my favorite of the villains.

I'll be forever by mystified by how they brought back him and all the old system lords in Continuum without any of them looking like they'd aged a day since the late 90s. Makeup or CG team deserve Emmys or something.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Pops Mgee posted:

The one where he flies the Prometheus is pretty badass.

Don't forget the one where he (co)pilots a glider through a gate.

:clint: "YEEEHAAAAW"

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

You really need the part where he then takes the new one and gives O'Niell the half-eaten one.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Pulaski was awesome for giving absolutely no fucks and Jonas was awesome for weather channel marathons and alien conspiracies.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I still can't get over the fact that they cast him and never had him sing. A first prime breaking into showtunes would have been a series highlight.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Even after SGA and Game of Thrones I didn't really like him as an actor, but for some reason, watching him spend an hour and a half ruining peoples poo poo nonstop in Conan converted me.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Didn't he have some kind of scrap metal sword in his first few Atlantis episodes? Wish they'd kept that.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Darth Freddy posted:

That's actually rather good, isn't it? Did you plan to say that when you walked in?

Or was it just off the top of your head?

I still can't believe that they brought back all the old system lords for that and none of them looked like they'd aged a day. That is some spooky sfx or makeup skills or something.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
There was also that alternate future episode with the Arthur's Mantle shroud thing and how the US (or maybe all the IOA nations) were oppressing their own population with all the space-technology they'd collected.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

pentyne posted:

I can't remember the exact quote but Shanks said he kept asking the writers "Hey, could I be less of a bumbling doctor and actually hold my own? The character has been on missions for years by this point and should know how to handle a gun" they told him to gently caress off so he walked, and then everyone hated Jonas so whoops, here's a much bigger paycheck please come back.

I never understood the drama at the time and even less now because Jonas was a good character and highlighted the fact that another gun-toting space soldier on the team would have been completely redundant. Of course that doesn't mean that the token science guy has to be useless in a fight, but I don't remember Daniel being much of a liability in the early seasons and that was before he came back as a jacked bandanna dude.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I always found it weird that we were supposed to take the Lucian Alliance as serious villains. They always seemed more like a minor annoyance at this point in the show. At least until I remember that the SG1 universe always favours the underdog, and at this point the Lucian Alliance is the underdog, not Earth.

I think they were planning on making them into more of a terrorist organization for the Homeworld Command show that never happened, kind of using the same guerrilla tactics that SG1 had, causing trouble to the galactic powers.

Also wow, you can totally pick out the reused Stargate sets from that trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Weird, I remember seeing that show years and years ago but it was called Deepwater Black. I just assumed Dark Matter was a reboot.

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 11, 2015