Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Major Isoor posted:

Actually, wasn't there one where the inhabitants of one of the aforementioned primitive worlds actually worked for free in the mines? Granted it was of their choice because they didn't want machines near their burial sites or something like that, but still...

They explicitly agreed to mine the naquadah to help the war effort against their ancient enemies, the Goa'uld.

The SGC seems to have no shortage of naquadah after the Goa'uld are defeated. I'm honestly not sure anyone ever told the Unas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

pentyne posted:

black actors in the UK have found that they can get insanely great roles in the US because they are great actors

I can't tell exactly how many stereotypes are in this sentence but it's pretty impressive, honestly.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
They translated the records on the ruin to learn that the machine never worked as intended, which let them persuade alien archaeologist dude to stand down.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Light Gun Man posted:

I think there are probably supposed to be some "area codes" and control codes going on. Like you can have a stargate on a ship, over a planet with a stargate, and they can have different addresses or whatever.

You explicitly cannot. Gate coordinates define a region of space, and the gate in that region with the earliest production number takes priority.

That's the reason the constellation symbols exist: 6 vague locations define a vague region, so that you have some way of aiming, and knowing where gate addresses are sending you - if it was just a set of coordinates then it would be meaningless without context. Each world sees different constellations, so each gate has different symbols on it. Except they couldn't afford more than one prop so it all falls apart.

I can't remember if I posted anything about this before (I definitely brought it up at the pub), but there's a Unas episode where they find Goa'Uld precursor fossils and it's obviously the homeworld, so why is the Stargate in a typical empty forest clearing in the wilderness? Surely it should be inside a city or a research base or something, did some random Unas host just press buttons by luck, go through with a few slaves and the rest is history? I mean the local Goa'Uld were just swimming around in a lake! What happened to their civilization.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Avulsion posted:

The Goa'uld don't invent or innovate, they depend on hosts and slaves for creativity and progress. They didn't discover the concept of civilization until they wandered off their homeworld, and then they didn't have much reason to go back to a world full of super strong lizard men who were aware of their abilities and could easily kill most of their other host bodies.

Yes, but point is: how did they learn to use the stargate?

I mean I assume the answer is that the Ancients left a visual instruction guide there for any pre-historic Unas host to randomly dial up a secret laboratory gate. Because why not.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
A Batlefield spinoff would be the easiest way. Just add in staff weapons and zats, then the rest is just model swaps. SGC vs Jaffa.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Didn't they saw it into bits and sell it by the symbol.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
He's under the Fantastic Four license, one imagines.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Pwnstar posted:

Grammar

The grammar of the Goa'uld language is fairly simple to grasp, the language uses a subject verb object (SVO) word order, as in English.

Uh huh, that's great.

What does kree mean.

Go, Attack, Attention, Stop, Halt, Eyes On, Focus, Behind You; or as one episode suggests, is it a place?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I too believe everything I read on the internet.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

vandelay industries posted:

Seems like MGM loves to gently caress with the Stargate series in general, because SGU was designed as a 5 season show. They were cancelled because "no one" was watching it and other MGM BS; however, their ratings would have been seen as very good by SyFy's standards today (just look at Helix's ratings).

This is such a stupid argument, viewing figures have fallen across the board, sci fi shows aren't magically immune to that.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

GreenNight posted:

The other problem was that MGM and Syfy (at the time) never considered DVR's as people who watched the show.

Oh no their stats won't include all the people who fast forward through the adverts

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

yeah I eat rear end posted:

In Season 1 episode 3 (or two if you count children of the gods as one episode) where Kowalski gets taken by a goa'uld, they surgically remove the symbiote. At first they imply that the goa'uld doesn't need its body to maintain possession of a host when the one in Kowalski says they just removed a dead husk, but it's kind of confusing. How did the surgical team miss the bit of the symbiote that was left latched on? Are we supposed to just assume the first surgical team was just too unfamiliar with symbiotes to not recognize the head bit that was left behind, or is this one of those things like the triple-zat disappearing effect that they thought was good at first but then realized it was stupid and gave up on it?

In later seasons they usually say the symbiote would just release a toxin if tampered with and kill the host - why didn't kowalski's? e: aside from wanting to go home, and I guess you could argue that at the time the goauld would think humans couldn't contain him, but still. Goauld behavior definitely changed significantly from season 1 and it doesn't all make a lot of sense.

Didn't this get outright retcon'd in later edits? I might be thinking of something else.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I got extremely nitpicky during one episode of Atlantis.

The bad-Asgard activate an old device which disables all Wraith hyperdrives in the galaxy, a move that would almost inevitably win the war. But oh no! It makes the gates poo poo themselves on activation and blow up, killing people all across Pegasus that don't know what's going on.

Come on people, think. Turn the thing on after you've uploaded Avenger on the local gate network and switched everything off. Bam, show over.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
"Entertainment services in the nature of a television series and web series featuring science fiction, suspense and drama"

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Ascension doesn't require you to be a good person. The Ancients just kick you out of their non-corporeal club if you aren't their particular sort of rear end in a top hat.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Going into a stargate any way but the front side of an outgoing connection kills you instantly.

The ancients didn't really have the whole 'workplace safety' thing.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
You can drive tanks through a stargate so try not to think about it too hard

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Tsaedje posted:

Yeah but then the sushi would go evil over time

Man, I have had way too many prolonged conversations about how that works.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Sarcophagus use makes you evil. Goa'uld inherit genetic memory from their forbears, so ALL Goa'uld are evil. Sarcophagus tech is based on the Ancient version.

Just like all problems, even the Goa'uld being villains is entirely the Ancients' fault.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I think there was a nonsense explanation that Asgard can't ascend because they do too much cloning or something.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
What's left of the Goa'uld at the end of show, anyway? The political structure of the System Lords has collapsed, plus their own population culling - I assume the Jaffa are hunting down any they find. Are there any queens left, or is their civilization over?

Of course there's an entire planet of them left, on the homeworld. Perhaps the Tok'ra might recruit there, though I've no idea how the Unas would respond to that.

And yes I know you aren't meant to think this hard about stargate.

On a side note: do you think SGC ever told those Unas mining naquadah that the war is over? Because that's the only reason they agreed.

mossyfisk fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 20, 2020

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Someone once asks Teal'c what happens if you walk through the wrong side of a stargate. Apparently it takes a while to clean up.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
"The United States has been waging a decade long secret interstellar war it won by genocide" (and also a second one they lost but hopefully the aliens won't come here for revenge) is such an absurdly complex scenario to explore that I simply don't believe the show could ever be up to the task.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
They make a big deal about the iris, but just digging a big pit in front of the gate seems almost as effective. So long as it doesn't fill up with jaffa you're good.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Yeah, they figure out the API rather than the technology.

They turn out to be an Ancient thing later, but I liked the idea of Transportation Rings being a Goa'uld attempt to reverse engineer the gate. They've got the matter conversion working, but can't do the wormhole.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Taear posted:

They really should have shown us more Goa'uld that aren't system lords
The only ones we see (that they tell us are part of societies) are the Tok'ra

There's also rivers full of them on the Goa'uld/Unas homeworld.

Which feels like it should be more important than it is?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Slavik posted:

Still, at least the Asgard threw in a few ship upgrades now and then as thanks when their butts were saved and we got some sweet space battles out if it :black101:

They also included Earth in their protectorate against System Lord aggression, which is kind of a big deal.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
That's just the plot of Wormhole X-Treme, come on.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Wouldn't be much of a show if every SG team just got blasted or stranded on arrival.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Khanstant posted:

IS Travellers the one where it ended up the whole thing started/ended from some dude who sent himself back in time to upload a virus or some poo poo from the twin towers right before 9/11 and then like he turned into a computer god or some shhit from it bc lmao

You are thinking about Travelers but that is not even remotely the plot.

I think you might have seen half of one episode drunk?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
They probably just unironically loved the military. It's not exactly an uncommon position.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The traditional sci-fi reason for igniting Jupiter is to make the moons habitable.

It might not be a good plan, but it's a genre staple.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Earth's symbol of origin is a pyramid because the gate is in Egypt. Except in SG1 it turns out Ra brought the gate with him from somewhere else, and Earth's original gate is just a circle over a line...

Obviously the SOO is a DRM feature to stop you buying a second hand DHD - got to buy a new one at full replacement fee from the Stargate Company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

8one6 posted:

If I were to reboot Stargate today I'd make it very clear that the various alien factions cooped the already existing religions instead of being the direct inspirations and I'd have the balance of goa'uld to asgard (or whatever they end up being called) more even across world religions.

In the opposite direction, it would be fun to go full Campbell. You could do a lot of dumb poo poo with that.