Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

pixaal posted:

But what about sticking your arm in to keep the wormhole open so they can't dial out?

man with the giant hand has a friend: man with the long arm, from keeping it in the stargate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

i like teal'c's pro-union speech in s3 of sg1

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

The Asgard are rly fuckin cool. O'Neill's enthusiasm is infectious

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Jaffar have the most most meme potential, I'm trying to think of memes based on the other races but "gold"-"goold" just does not work :negative:

Tollen... A'tollen... A'tchoo...

mmmmm :ohdear:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

xerxus posted:

Earth had all of Asgard knowledge, and had multiple Ancient databases. It's just too powerful and there's not a lot of room for stories.

They should just reboot the series and allow for cameos via a quantum mirror or something.

And maybe actually have world disclosure sometime in the run.

I actually would like to see humanity take up the mantle of the ancients to be honest. Teaching, setting up societies, advancing knowledge. Maybe an extra-galactic threat but you have the Wraith for that and they are pretty drat intelligent.

Like I feel at this point one of the best things about the show was watching humanity grow into this new role, rather than resetting everything at the end of the week. Its not really something I've seen done in another show and it's one of the parts I was most invested in -- continuity is drat rewarding when you've been streaming 10 years of tv into your brain in a few months.

But there's also room for like, a loving radical take on how a sudden technology improvement would change us, and segregate us and so on (Like it did the Ancients and the Ori). Show humans setting up in another galaxy and us loving up, focus on the new beings we meet and our relationship to ourselves after growing into this species that's inherited an amazing and fantastic burden. Having all the Ancient and Asgard knowledge doesn't mean we immediately understand it, and there's still a lot of manoeuvring you can do as long as you're not lazy about it (Like how they hosed up the "humanity as a utopia" premise in post-TNG Trek because the writers were lazy and wanted to write what they knew).

IMO seeing them loving, erase all of that would just be supremely dissatisfying.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 09:28 on May 27, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Also I dunno why the asgard couldnt have just beamed their brains into computers and let humanity have a shot at fixing them, or like, kept a few around in stasis and some mind copies just in case things turns out different.

"Everything that can be done has failed" is like,,, a,, no you said that about the Replicators :(

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I relate to how he constantly looks like he didn't get enough sleep and had a bad dream and like all his body vaguely hurts

like every scene he's in he looks like that and I adore it

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Watching Atlantis thinking about how SG1 tskes a literal interpretation of the idea from the tumblr post (where humanity's superpower is just jamming poo poo together in batshit amazing ways) and how Carter blowing up a sun (among other things) supports that

The asgard literally come to us for help because we're so "dumb" as a species that our solutions somehow work, because we're not even aware that they shouldn't

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

tried watching SGU.

is the one guy supposed to look like... Stallone? maybe one of the other 80s action dudes?

aside from the music and the cgi and the concept, which is all really good. it is just bad.

shaky cam gets old fast, and because it's Adult(tm) that just means a lot of angry people or horny people and sometimes depressed people but nothing inbetween. also apparently being For Adults means that it condones torture and Hard Decisions(tm)

just a total wash and after a few episodes i just started skipping through them. I didn't give a poo poo about the end of season.

does it get better in season 2?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Grand Fromage posted:

I remember liking SG:U and thinking it improved over time, but it was also the first Stargate I watched. I haven't seen it again since watching SG1 and Atlantis.

I also think having the communication stones was a huge crutch that shouldn't have been there.

Really? I can't think of more than a handful of things that were done right, it's just depressing :(

edit: vvvv no see thats what makes it gritty and Adult :rolleyes:

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 7, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Invalid Validation posted:

Think the Stargate would put piss in the memory buffer?

Stargate: Piss is stored in the matter conversion buffer crystals

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Invalid Validation posted:

I liked all their dumb technobabble, it makes enough sense at the time and they usually do a good job about incorporating it later on.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

drunkill posted:

This is neat, a 40min supercut of all of SG1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdXayrCqMyQ

I want to do a series re-watch now...

:eyepop:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Cojawfee posted:

I liked Vala, but that's because I like Claudia Black enough to push past Vala's issues.

Also Vala gets better as time goes on

ALSO it's better to have the context of her character in Farscape first imo

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

IRQ posted:

But by that point the pacifist nerd archeologist Daniel had come back to life like 3 times and was jacked and dual wielding P90s - the show had given up on being grounded at all by then.

:wrong:

- Ok I'll give you that, ascension is kinda cool but also very annoying from a scifi perspective.

- Of course he's jacked, he's done 8 years of interplanetary exploration most of which involved regular 10k hikes. Also he had to regularly go toe to toe with a mean alien foe so it would be weird if he didn't get sick and tired of being the first one to be taken down, and train up to throw his own weight more. Also it's the military so it's in the culture if not the job description to be honest.

- p90s are known for being lightweight, you probably could duel wield them, and really most of what Daniel does is cover fire I don't think he actually hit many targets over the course of SG1

- most of the show, does in fact take place on ground :cheeky:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

banned from Starbucks posted:

oh yeah thats right. He dual wields a semi auto pistol and a full auto MP5 and, shockingly, misses a jaffa standing 10 feet away.

edit i completely forgot how in early seasons theyre just constantly dumping like 100s of rounds out of their 30 round mp5 mags but in later seasons theyre actually shown reloading fairly often when their ammo jumps to the 50 round P90 mags. I guess scifi channel sprung for a military advisor?

didn't they literally have money from the military anyway, i assume that would mean military advisors come cheaper

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Erulisse posted:

Why?
It's a completely normal theme of higher planes of existence, consciousness as energy etc

Because the brain is one hell of a lot more complex than that. Having done some lectures on the brain and having a basic interest in the physical aspects of it, it's easy to know that EEGs as they are in Stargate do not work like that (Which is an acceptable handwave for the stories they wanted to tell), that the brain is an incredibly complex thing that we are unlikely to understand at the end of the century, and that the idea of "consciousness as energy" is utterly absurd.

That doesn't mean it's bad scifi, it can be fun and is interesting to think about that, but it is blisteringly easy to see that "things do not actually work like that"

(Like, this understanding could be wrong, but im pretty sure if you asked this question to an expert they would just laugh at you and end the phonecall)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Erulisse posted:

As with matter-energy conversion etc etc but here we are...

matter-energy conversion is how a nuclear bomb works

it's literally what E = mc² calculates. the amount of energy from matter when converted

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I watched season 1 a week ago and i only recognize three of the names on that list, and have forgotten most of it. completely forgettable

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Custard Undies posted:

I really loved SGU, I wonder how much of that was because I missed the initial run of Atlantis.

I kinda wish we had more episodes of them exploring/fixing Destiny but I think I'm probably in the minority with that view.

it was the most interesting part and the most unique thing about the setting. therefore not only did they spend what felt like zero time exploring it but also they instead focused on people behaving like perpetual infants. i saw more maturity out of the rugrats

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Cojawfee posted:

At least a season of Atlantis being on Earth. Surely people on Earth would have noticed a city coming in from space.

That they didn't even bother broach that in SGU means tr latter is not canon. change my mind :colbert:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

pixaal posted:

It has aquatic dampeners to ugh put out waves at exactly the right frequency that as it displaces the water it I guess the displacement cancels the waves? I dunno it's all very scientific.

No there are waves shown when it lands on the second planet.

I guess if you want to technobabble it you can say that they extended the reach of the inertial dampeners, which conceptually makes sense until you realise that that would also dampen people moving as well or something. I dunno.

IRQ posted:

If there's one thing about this sentence that isn't canon it ought to be SGU. Atlantis landing on earth means the gate program would have to be public eventually, and also can you imagine all that available housing? You could rent an apartment for half market rate and the only downside is that your shower might blow up another galaxy.

Yeah. The thing is, according to SGU canon, Atlantis landing on earth basically might as well never have happened

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Grand Fromage posted:

Also all the ancient Earth culture stuff, especially early on, was big for me as a history nerd. All the scenes where Daniel's complaining that he can't talk to someone because their writing didn't include vowels so he has to guess are my crack.

yuuuuup

I also really liked the ancients as a concept and, instead of going the Ori route and making a new big bad, wish they'd taken a tack of "Humans stepping into the role of the Ancients and guiding everyone else forward, if those races wanted"

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

pixaal posted:

No no, they are the key. The key is the DNA and no other species could possibly have the same DNA unless we did a little science experiment on our home world after leaving it. (they did evolve on Earth right? I'm not sure that's actually even clear or how they seeded humans as a round two)

We only have the gene because some of them settled down and hosed our ancestors, who they created using the Dakara device

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

splifyphus posted:

And, because I already know all the characters and their BS, I can just skip any dramatic scene I know I'm not going to enjoy.

I really, really wanted to like that show but... no.

Skipping 90% of the show because it's just people casting all logic, adult thought aside and arguing like toddlers just isn't fun.

And it was 90% of the show, because on some episodes I ended up skipping ten, twenty minutes at a time, for a good show for five minutes before they started having a lovely spat again. Yeeesh

Glad you enjoyed it thought but... ech. If there was a cut of it with all of the "Drama" removed it would be pretty drat good!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

GreenNight posted:

Studio mandate for the show was to "be dark like BSG". Took them 1.5 seasons to convince the powers that be that people watch Stargate for the humor too.

I wish Richard Dean Anderson had been an executive producer on Universe. His weight over SG-1 and focus on lightening up the dark is honestly what made that show so drat unique and held it together when it got camp

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Brawnfire posted:

X-Tremely sad

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

pixaal posted:

Orville starts off rather rough, the tone has a major shift half through an episode I think it's 4. It's the one where they infiltrate a Krill ship. Give it until you finish that ep up, there's some rough Fox demanded jokes in that episode too. Should have a ton more creative freedom on Hulu this season.

Not like anyone here should have a problem with rough starts. SG-1 first few episodes always catch me off guard with how different they are.

Yeah there's a good laundry list of skippable episodes in SG-1's first season

or at least

I watched them enraptured, but i would recommend to anyone else that they skip them

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Vietnamwees posted:

Hey, JUST BECAUSE CARTER'S REPRODUCTIVE ORGANS ARE ON THE INSIDE OF HER BODY DOESN'T MEAN SHE CAN'T DISH IT OUT!

No, but you should DEFINITELY watch the SG1 pilot, just for the female nude scene alone.

just watch the directors cut edition which removes all of the stuff you mentioned

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

pixaal posted:

I thought it was because it was translating they had a language but at some point had fallen into nothing but references to events. It would be like if I instead of asking for an alliance It said it in the dumbest way possible like Mario and Bowser shaking hands and then refused to elaborate when you didn't get the reference.

Homer, when he was at the union meeting

Lenny, obliviously reminding him of his task

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Taear posted:

I mean I know this sorta but at the same time it seems pretty reasonable that theyd spread out. Especially on worlds where the Goa'uld haven't turned up for ages, say the one in Broca Divide.

I also feel a bit like the Asgard are loving monsters since they could easily save the entire galaxy from the Goa'ould and it never quite explains why they don't!

it does, kinda, in the red sun episode

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Yeah they were having to balance the survival of their species versus maintaining a treaty in another galaxy. They also generally didn't want to erase species from existence and tried for peace. So they were stretched thin and it's pretty obvious at times that they can barely manage a presence in the milky way whatsoever, to the point that Loki was able to do his thing without being tangibly noticed (although that was extremely late), and even he was doing his poo poo because he was outright terrified (as much as an Asgard can be) for the survival his species

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Khanstant posted:

edit: hope these homemade stargates come up again lol

:unsmith:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

actually, I think it does come up, once or twice?? maybe??? gently caress i need to rewatch

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Brawnfire posted:

There should have been a race/planet that didn't have a Stargate but discovered how to just loving blow a ragged hole into the Stargate system and jump in.

They'd have no idea where they'd end up, but they'd just assemble a huge invasion force, blast a portal open, then wherever they ended up just make a foothold and claim the gate as their own as a jumping-off point

Thats literally the Earth tho

Like sure they use the stargate to do the wormhole thing but their homebrew dialling device has zero protections and it's brought up multiple times how hosed up it is lol

They also use that to gently caress with the gate system multiple times, and it never really works out

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Taear posted:

Watching "Deadman Switch" and it has the perfect example of weird over explanation
Flash Gordon's ship explodes and two pods fly out - and the Tok'Ra with them shouts "Escape pods!"

I mean yea, you don't need to tell us!

I have two questions that I don't remember the show answering, but maybe it did.
Firstly why did the goa'uld stop using Unas? They seem superior to humans in every way
Secondly where are all the OTHER goa'uld? Like they have whole armies of Jaffa that are all incubating baby goa'uld, surely they don't all become system lords? We never really see just regular Goa'uld doing their thing.

Ok but this makes sense. On human terms those Jaffa live for hundreds of years, Teal'c had eight or nine symbiotes supposedly indicating it takes ten years to mature. They're probably eaten or discarded like energy cells would be. There's a separate class of symbiotes that are carried in the brood class that go on to become ranking symbiotes. They also have Goa'uald lieutenants and lesser ranking staff that we see occasionally.

Nobody gives a poo poo about the goa'uald children because there are so many of them. They are left in Jaffa after they die in battle, they are eaten, etc. etc. If your wife gave birth to one hundred children it's very very unlikely you would give a poo poo about all of them, and then mix in egotism and narcissism on top of that?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Just because we don't see things don't mean they don't exist in the universe, and enough is shown of the Stargate universe that you're supposed to presume more exists than you see up front.

They give more than enough hints.

Taear posted:

I'm up to Rules of Engagement now. It's kind of a fun episode but it's another one where if you think about it for even five minutes it totally falls apart. What the gently caress are these guys eating and drinking for years while they're out here waiting for Apophis? How did they plan to infiltrate without an Iris code? Just roll up and be like "oh uh we're SGX"?
Especially if you consider that the people they're serving are worms that hide in people's heads and can pretend to be absolutely anyone, I mean what?

Yeah but aren't they given shipments at some point in dialogue. Not just that but the entire story in this, hell, the entire show to some degree, is about arrogance. It's arrogant to assume on the part of Apophis that it would work, but the humans arrogantly assume anyone with their uniforms are their friend. The first ten minutes shows exactly how it was going to work on them, and it did to a small degree. I doubt in an invasion scenario you're going to be checking your allies too closely. A bunch of new SG teams show up? Eh, it's a time warp, the base is under attack we need the hands on deck to repell folks.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Khanstant posted:

correct me if i just ain't gotten to it yet, but why hasn't anyone else invented their own space-travel tricks. Even if nobody around today in the universe has the resources or whatever to get it done, back when they were the newest iphones, why weren't there knockoffs cropping up all over the place. FarGate, TravelPortal, The Commute Well, Fast Pass Door, Floo Chutes, Teleport Tubes, Get Away Arch, Adios Awning, Umbrella of Remote Access, etc. No good invention goes un-knocked off and we know for a fact them ancient dweebs be exploiting their labour forces so there'd be all sorts of corruption and side-dealing under their noses, any anyone can see the obvious benefits and potential profits of teleporting.

So, isn't the reason for this is because the ancients literally destroyed all the life in the galaxy, and reseeded it? They didn't have any competition, and the other 4 great races all had their own stuff going on

Khanstant posted:

Need an episode where they uncover a Star Grate and it only stays open for 112 minutes, you have to crawl down this uncomfortable sewer ladder and and it drops you on your rear end like six feet onto the ground at your destination with no easy way to get back up besides to reach into the portal and feel around for the ladder as your body is stretched across the galaxy. It also smells like rear end, just pure fart stank when it's open. On the bright side it's way easier to dial and can be built mostly with things you could find in any goald kitchen or garage.

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

quote:

The Temple of Dakara and the Dakara superweapon were built by the Ancients, the creators of the Stargate network. According to Anubis, it was once used by the Ancients to re-create the precursors of all current life in the galaxy, after the plague that wiped out the Ancients devastated the entire Milky Way Galaxy. Thus deeming it as a weapon is disputable.

They did seed all life in the milky way, and that is not incompatible with the Goa'uald spreading human life around the galaxy :colbert: