Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I've been binging through SG-1 on Netflix. I'm a few episodes into season 6 now. Enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. There haven't been too many episodes where I've been overly bored or annoyed. Some not-so-great ones, but the following or previous episode would be pretty good. Seems to balance out well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

spronk posted:

Let me know how you feel once you get to season 8. I really enjoyed 1-6 as well, with hardly any "man that was terrible!" moments, but season 7 felt like a real grind. In fact I skipped a few season 7 & 8 episodes completely, and am kind of stuck now since I don't want to go into 9 until I finish watching them but ugh do I really want to watch all the "Trust" episodes... I tried detouring into Atlantis, but it hasn't really clicked yet.

Yeah, we'll see how it turns out. I'm casually watching it so if the episode isn't that great i pay more attention to the book I'm reading or whatever else I do. I'll poke my head in now and then to as things progress.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Flatscan posted:

I love the look on O'Neill's face.

I just watched a S6 episode yesterday, where Thor takes them to deal with replicators and they're all sitting around eating ice cream. O'Neill has a spoon and tries to get some Teal'C moves his hand away and gives O'Neill and O'Neill is just all 'what the gently caress'. Then Teal'C grabs a case of ice cream of O'Neill. Then after some dialog you see Teal'C snatch O'Neill's ice cream and switches it with his own. The whole little sequence was great and I give it no justice in my lovely retelling.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Yeah, that's it! That's awesome. I love little stuff like that.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I'm on season 8 now. 6 and 7 were pretty solid. Nothing negative really stands out to me. For me the seasons seem to go by pretty quickly. First few episodes are a nice collection then there's some good stuff right in the middle then at the end there's always a few that tie together (and sometimes into the next season). There's hardly and real lull in the show, a few 'slower' episodes, but nothing drastic and usually it's only for one episode. Once again, this show is pretty good, turning out better than I thought and I can still casually watch it and not miss much.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I'm on Season 10 of SG-1 now. Not as good as the others, but decent enough to keep me entertained. Season 9 was decent as well. I liked 8 and all the previous seasons a lot more. It's all a big blur, so I can't really say which season(s) I like the most. After I finish season 10 I'll move over to Atlantis. I guess I should watch the movies as well, though I'm sure I'm out of proper viewing order already.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

GreenNight posted:

What you're doing is fine. Watch the SG1 movies when you're done with SG1 and then you can move to Atlantis.

Good to know. Think I'm about 1/3rd of the way through season 10. Shouldn't be long now...

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Have you already watched the crossover episode yet? Also you can watch Ark of Truth immediately after the season 10 finale and Continuum takes place between during season 5 of Atlantis

Yes, I saw "The Pegasus Project" episode (#3) already. I'm half-way through "Uninvited", so I guess I'm technically 1/4 of the way through the season. From a quick glance at the wiki (didn't want to spoil anything) it looks like AoT finishes up the Ori arc. So that'll be nice. Seriously, gently caress the Ori.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Oh, I don't think the arc is bad. I just really hate those fuckers (and the Priors too).

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Oh, my bad, I misinterpreted your post. My reading comprehension sucks. heh.

Yeah, I liked the earlier stuff, but it was pretty much wacky adventures going through the gate each time. Which, is to be expected. Every time they found something cool and useful I was sitting there waiting for 'the catch'. I still enjoyed it all and they tied things together nicely. The last few seasons you can feel them shifting away from pure gate/new world/issues with the arcs. although still doing gate adventures now and then. I was expecting a big down slide in quality of the story and with Mitchell being introduced, but I've found it still enjoyable and peppy as usual. I don't really see Mitchell as that different from O'Neill. It's definitely been entertaining with some minor lulls here and there but I'm still way more impressed with it than I thought I would be. it's been a pleasant ride.

Oh and gently caress the Rand and Caledonians. Those fuckers got what they deserved (from each other).

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Yeah, see what happens when you're pretentious and don't share? haha.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

If they're not Origin follows then they are evil and deserved to die! There was nothing innocent about them. The Ori, Prior, the followers, it all just makes me hate religion (even more).

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I finished SG-1 over the weekend and watched both movies. The movies were OK, basically feature length episodes, but decent over all. I really dug the series itself a lot more than I thought, as I said before. I started Atlantis and I'm just about half-way through season 1. It's average so far, but still early in the show so I'll keep on trucking. I'm not expecting anything super spectacular but I'm sure it'll hold my interest if it's anything similar to SG-1.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Yeah, that was a good two-parter. The last episode I watched was "Before I sleep", looks like it's episode 15. McKay is starting to grow on me. I'm sure he stays the same, he was an insufferable prick on SG-1 (which I'm sure was the point in the episodes he was in), so looks like he'll find his quirky little niche in Atlantis.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Yeah there's been some good stuff between them so far and I'm sure it gets better as roles go on. I liked McKay calling out Sheppard in Sanctuary with the whole 1967 Cpt. Kirk thing. I had a good laugh about that and it was well done.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Polaron posted:

Atlantis has probably the largest pitched space battle in the entire Stargate franchise, and it's pretty much the show where we really get to see the technological insanity humanity is capable of (especially when it comes to creative applications of nuclear weaponry).

Cool, something to look forward to then.

I went back and re-read most of the thread. Looks like one of the episodes I fell asleep through happened to be Teal'c going to the Vagina Monologues. So bummed I missed that. I watched it on Youtube... but it's just not the same. Also fell asleep last night on Part 1 of the season 1 Atlantis ending. Whoops. Good thing it recaps the episode at the start of part 2.

edit: I also totally had a crush on Dr. Frasier.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Finished season 2 of Atlantis last night and got through episode 1 of season 3 before I had to go to bed. The later half of season 2 got way better to me. I'm sure I was a little burned out too, after going through all 10 seasons of SG-1 then straight into Atlantis, so it took me a bit to get through season 2 as I was easily distracted. But caught some more episodes and I was digging most of what I watched. The McKay and Sheppard interactions are great (as someone pointed out earlier, I think).

Edit. Just spoiled myself while reading the Wiki... Damnit! I swear I do this at some point or another with every show I binge through. Oh well...

Minimaul fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 8, 2011

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

richardfun posted:

What did you get spoiled on?

Yeah, casting change/somebody dies apparently. Guess I'll find out in like, two episodes. ha! You'd think I'd learn eventually not to read-up or browse wiki for whatever show(s) I'm watching for the first time.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I just finished season 4 of Atlantis last night. I'll start 5 tonight. I think I was enjoying the one-off episodes more than the normal ones this season. Or maybe I just don't give a gently caress about Teyla and "her people." I also have to give props to Rodney for trying to get Carter to flash those kids when they were stuck in that hole.

Spoiled cause it's one of those little things that makes the show awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I also just finished SGU and I thought it was pretty solid all the way through. I'm not sure if I have a favorite of the three or how I would rank them. All three shows are a giant blur and I can't remember much from any of them. All in all I was overly impressed with Stargate and like it a lot more than I thought I would, so it was well worth the couple month long binge through all 3 shows.