Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

China, UK, and I think France were involved. One of the annoying things about Atlantis was that while Grodin wore a Union Flag patch on his arm, the scotch doctor got a saltire patch.

On the one hand it was nice to see a reflection of the UK's large asian community, on the other it was bizarre, and a little offensive, to have that dreadful fake accent walking around with the Scottish flag when it should have been the same as Grodin's.

Atlantis also had guys with german flag patches worn upside down now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH
For those wondering what the SGA movie would have been about, JM blogged that it was to begin with Atlantis having been put on the moon, and then McKay finds it's about to self destruct due to a safeguard the Ancients put in to stop it being stolen from the Pegasus galaxy, so back they go.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH
Wasn't that the character who raped whole villages and was presented as comedy? Ew.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH
I still don't really get why there isn't a new series being made. SGU was expensive and ill-received, and I can understand SGA would also have been costly at S5/6 due to increased actor salaries and the like, but surely it's someone's job to look at the ratings and see "People like the light hearted action episodes, if we hire four nobodies and run around forests we'd make a profit again"

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

Effingham posted:

Another bit of internal consistency, though: Melia McClure, an actress who played "Ancient Woman" in "Rising" plays an Ancient named "Melia" in the SGA episode "Before I Sleep" -- the one where Weir ends up in an parallel timeline in the original Atlantis, and talks them into putting her in stasis to keep the city working until the SG team shows up. And they find her in stasis as a very old version of herself. So she played the same character -- an Ancient woman scientist in Atlantis -- in two episodes. Cool.

The head of the Ancient council in "Before I Sleep" is also the same actor, and presumably the same character, as Merlin in SG-1. I thought that was awesome.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

Tighclops posted:

I know Stargate is a goofy sci fi action adventure show with lots of completely outlandish bullshit going on right from the start, so maybe this is just blind sperging; but did anyone else utterly lose their suspension of disbelief when humans from Earth started building gigantic intergalactic spaceships in secret? I mean by season 9 or 10 or whatever they had them beaming skyscrapers into space and Jaffa conducting terrorist attacks on office buildings in cloaked cargo ships and meanwhile everything is supposed to still be a secret from the public.

I agree, I found it weird enough that they could suddenly build a huge space carrier, having had trouble just making fighters before. I wonder if the writers were afraid of making the show clearly not take place in our world, or something.

Not only is it increasingly less plausible, but it gets more and more morally reprehensible to hide what's going on out there from the majority of the world.

Ultimately I think it's a big shame that the proposed "Stargate Command" show never got made (instead of season 9/10), if it had gone ahead the franchise would probably still be alive. :sigh:

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

Tater_tot posted:

Is the "war on terror" a thing in the SG universe? Because there's plenty of money and secret keeping involved in that.

They do have a British guy referencing Tony Blair's post 9/11 speech at one point, but that's the only hint of it.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

Flatscan posted:

Only in the same way that Galactica 1980 is still Battlestar Galactica. In fact, flying motorcycles and magical children would probably have made SGU better than it was.

I think this happened in the Stargate cartoon, Infinity.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH
My internal reasoning for how they built the Iris is it was reverse engineered from those Jaffa helmets that fold up into nothing.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

Rhyno posted:

Started re watching Atlantis the other day and one thing continues to amuse me, the frequency in which Wraith actors contacts were crooked. I saw it once and now it's like a beacon.

Keep an eye out for the German soldier who sometimes wears his flag patch upside down.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

JetsGuy posted:

I didn't like the show because I found none of the characters likable. Well, aside from Greer, and it was fairly clear to me (at least as far as I watched), that the writers intended him to be a character we didn't like.

For what it's worth, Greer gets to be a great character as the show goes on, and some of season 2 really does feel like "real" Stargate.

Word from Mallozi on the subject of whatever's in the works, is that it's not a live action show :(

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH
I wonder if they fixed that in the re-release they did for CotG. I've never seen it but I think they removed the reproductive organs on the inside line.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

truth masseuse posted:

Theories as to why this romance never quite took off?

Because dragging out "will they or won't they" is a cynical but effective way to keep viewers. See also: The X-Files.

There was a cut scene in that Atlantis episode where her, Rodney and Keller are stuck underground which had Carter pretty much confirming they were a couple, if I remember right.

Jo Mallozi talked about this scene back when he did a blog on Gateworld, fans then mailed the studio demanding to see it, and he suddenly stopped blogging there.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH
I think the Horus one was just reused from the movie. If I remember right, we didn't actually see it in the show until season 8 or so when Teal'c wears one for a bit, but may be wrong on that.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes but it will be a reboot or using the props from the movie. I mean the show that started with SG1 and went to Universe is dead.

I don't think it'd be such an issue for Stargate as Trek - sure, we'll never see Atlantis or Destiny* again, but all they really need to make an SG-1 follow up is some military gear, a new Gate room, and some cheap actors in a forest somewhere.

It'd be quite easy to just say they'd unlocked a new galaxy's gate network and go from there while occasionally referencing old stuff.

*aside from the bits David Hewlitt actually saved, not sure how much that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Why would that stop him from being hired? A ton of actors are into that bullshit.

It was pretty strange they never bought him back after the season he left. I mean, they even went to his planet in SGU..