Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I know 50% of this thread is this post, but I started sg1 from the beginning on Netflix and I always knew I liked it but I forgot about how just flat out GOOD it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
There was an AI in the movie?

Edit to not double post: Dean Fogg as a free Jaffa!

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 16, 2021

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It was a living history of ice road truckers

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I just watched the episode where they bring like 17 Baals to the SGC and got sad :(

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Or just done like any sci fi thing ever

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Ratjaculation posted:

But saying that having myself spent the last 14 months experiencing what happens to a body when your work/life balance changes, he looked great still.

Yeah but in his work life balance the life part is actually being dead

Edit: sorry to snipe with this

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
For some reason I thought this was about ripped DJ and not Fat O'Neill, I'm the rear end in a top hat

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I like Atlantis McKay but they really made him awful in sg1 and should have probably renamed him or some poo poo just like O'Neill.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
You will learn this too, when you are older.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Spinoff series about bra'tac when

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Human cities appear around Stargates just like crops appear in fields

Almost every single planet you see is a human farm operated by goa ould

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I think its get mentioned but we never see anyone build a gate again, other than the giant ori one. I think that episode is featured in one of the clipshows too

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The asgard just needed some chads

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Taear posted:

When you compare the Nox to the Asgard and the Ancients they really look poo poo don't they
Why bother letting them into your alliance?

Oh we've got an alliance of the United States, Russia and the city of Ulm

Uh what? They effortlessly defeat the goa'ould who show up on their planet, have mastery of the stargate, invisibility, a giant floating city and they have literally conquered death. The Nox have far surpassed the ancients in physical technology, they just like to wear moss and put sticks in their hair.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 23, 2022

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Taear posted:

They have a single planet though. Just the one.
Compared to the insane bredth of the asgard and ancient civilizations, you know?

I know you probably didnt think about it in this way but its weird to consider rampant colonialism as a virtue

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I'm glad they exercised restraint with the deadpan teal'c jokes, they always land so well. My favorites are probably a tie between the hot coffee and when he gets tickets to the vagina monologues

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Taear posted:

I guess the only unexplored thing is "Who were the furlings"
Also why are the Nox in the grand alliance

I still feel like (at least SG1, I never got to the end of Atlantis) it was pretty well wrapped up

Also the signal from sgu

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

McKay initially comes off as a dick to people around him, and the more you get to know him the more you realise that he would be a pain in the butt to be around but he doesn't mean to be and genuinely is trying to be a good person.

Sg1 McKay and Atlantis McKay are different characters. To a greater degree than O'Neil and O'Neill, imo.

Sg1 McKay "comes off as a dick" because he is an arrogant misogynistic bully who is clearly only tolerated at all because he's some kind of savant, and he really doesn't seem to care about other people other than his ability to be smarter than them.

Atlantis McKay is socially awkward and overconfident, (and its been a while since I've seen early Atlantis, so I may be forgetting something,) but I don't he ever treats anyone the way he treats Carter in SG1.

I get that he has whole seasons to develop in SG:A vs 4 or 5 episodes in SG1, but on my pandemic rewatch of SG1 I was kind of shocked at what a piece of poo poo McKay was because I was remembering him mostly from Atlantis.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

alexandriao posted:

Star Destroyers have artificial gravity generators, which is why the bombs went down, you can add magnetism if you want, too, and you also have the propulsion added by the rails that electrically pushed the bombs out. The reason nobody does the lightspeed ramming manovure is because if everyone did that hyperspace flight would be impossible and it would gently caress with the strategies of both sides. It's also utterly suicidal.

There's no reason a lightspeed projectile would need to be manned, and it's a plot point in eu star wars that there are special ships with gravity generators that are specifically distinct from Star destroyers.

Its kind of implied that every spaceship in Star Wars has internal gravity but there's no reason every ship would suck bombs into itself and that would be a real bad design choice for warships

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

IRQ posted:

There's no reason not to just vaporize poo poo with lasers from as far away as you can target it somehow. We shouldn't think about this stuff, George Lucas couldn't even make an actual WWII dogfighting movie not dumb.

Star wars universe has shields on fighter craft that protect them from multiple laser hits before failing. It's OK to think about things a little bit.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

alexandriao posted:

Are there any unmanned ships on screen? In any of the movies?

Astromechs fly ships without human assistance, and the imperial probe droids seem to have hyperdrives installed.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

alexandriao posted:

No, missing my point. Have droids ever flown a ship by themselves on screen.

Yes, in the examples in the quote you are responding to.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

alexandriao posted:

I already posted I was wrong, lmao 🤡 I guess you,

I would however like to thank pile of brown for getting the post/name combo of posting the same thing at me, quoting the exact same part of my post, both before and three posts after I said "Whoops, missed that".

However, if you could please namechange yourself to "a complete and utter clown", I think that would fit better. You don't have to tho, it's just a personal request :)

But do you ever see droids fly a ship on screen?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Yeah, the wraith never quite seem as menacing or scary as the goa'ould

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The Ori could be a cool idea, but their execution wasn't great.

It was just too much of Ori Priors/Actual Ori being droning and characterless as a choice.

The goa'ould also were fake gods, but they had all kinds of cool stuff and imagery instead of the "one corrupted human local as a priest" vibe the Ori use.

With the Ori there is no campaign or intimidation, they seem to offer conversion or they glass your planet

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 9, 2022

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

Probably got to rent out some hummers or helicopters or something for free. It’s stupid but playing along makes your production about a million times easier cause they’ll throw a bunch of whatever at you for free as long as you don’t say bad things about them. Go do some research on it, it’s pretty sinister.

The NFL is a pretty insane example of this

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Edit: late post

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
On my last rewatch I remember being a little surprised at how much O'neill was so locked in to the us military vs being all in on the space war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Teal'c slowly slumping down in his chair is loving hilarious regardless of why he's doing it