Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Even Annie can't believe they're doing this now :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

We need an Ymir chapter or two. What is she thinking? Expand on King Fritz, the tree, the parasite, paths, curse, etc..

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

bees x1000 posted:

We need an Ymir chapter or two. What is she thinking? Expand on King Fritz, the tree, the parasite, paths, curse, etc..
Yeah, Ymir can show up in Falco's memories!
Seriously though, I think Ymir Fritz still has a role to play. And Zeke.
I'm happy with that one, almost wordless chapter being all that we get for the origin story. It showed just enough. I don't want to know that the Titans are aliens or some poo poo.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Gibbering posted:

Except for AxA. I know it’s been hinted at but it’s still weird to me.

I think Armin inherited Bertholt's crush.

I can't imagine that Eren's future-sight extends past his own death.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Wow, just wow.

Sindai posted:

Even Annie can't believe they're doing this now :lol:

Frankly, all that's left to do in that's left to do for them is to bang and die. Her time can't be much longer.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

jfc Eren

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Pretty sure Eren is some colossal version of the originally spine monster that got Ymir to begin with.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Kid Eren basking in his freedom. :perfect:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Squidster posted:

I think Armin inherited Bertholt's crush.

I can't imagine that Eren's future-sight extends past his own death.

Didn't the previous Attack Titan holders see up to Eren at least? I think the only thing that would break it is if there was no more Attack Titan.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The only previous holder we have confirmation of as receiving visions directly from Eren is Grisha, but it's implied that holders across the past 2000 years have been receiving visions of the future to some degree, influencing their actions.

It's anyone's guess whether this was an ability some previous holders could purposely use to divine the future, or an effect guided by Ymir's subconscious desire to be freed, or something completely uncontrollable until Eren seized the Coordinate and arranged the ongoing causality loop, or if it's always been Eren all along - the final Attack Titan, guiding all his predecessors and himself to this moment.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

It's the eve of the end of the world, and all they can do right now is sit on a boat and wait. I don't think it's that weird if Armin and Annie bang one out real quick.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Beefstew posted:

It's the eve of the end of the world, and all they can do right now is sit on a boat and wait. I don't think it's that weird if Armin and Annie bang one out real quick.

Wonder if Jean'll get a last word in with Mikasa, on that note. That future fantasy he had a couple chapters ago shows he's still carrying a hell of a torch, but I get the impression he's too polite to say anything, given how Mikasa's still a bit of an emotional wreck over Eren, even if they're all sailing to their deaths.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Vermain posted:

Wonder if Jean'll get a last word in with Mikasa, on that note. That future fantasy he had a couple chapters ago shows he's still carrying a hell of a torch, but I get the impression he's too polite to say anything, given how Mikasa's still a bit of an emotional wreck over Eren, even if they're all sailing to their deaths.

I wondered the same thing. If these are kids are allowed any semblance of happiness, I wanted Armin x Annie and Jean x Mikasa, but I figured that the series might not have time for either. I doubt Mikasa is ready for anything like that, though, and if anything, I suspect we'll just get a hint of them in the future and little more. Armin and Annie are already vibing though, and they've been set up for a while.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
There cannot be an act of creation, without first an equivalent act of destruction.

It is not the end, merely a new beginning for the world.

I found this chapter very uplifting.

Beautiful scenery, indeed. :)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kerning Chameleon posted:

There cannot be an act of creation, without first an equivalent act of destruction.

It features a child being graphically and horrifically murdered for the crime of existing in a location. If this isn't a weird gimmick you're super gross.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Can't we just thread ban this fucker already?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gently caress you.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
It all returns to nothing. It all comes
rumbling down
Rumbling down
Rumbling down

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Get out of here, you disgusting fucknugget.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
So what I really want to know is: Is Eren walking on the normal torso in the back and the eternal ribcage is just kinda hovering thanks to Very Powerful Spine, or is he Bone Millipeding it across the world?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

If this is Ragnarok, I'm assuming Eren is Jormungandr

and I think the superfriends are supposed to be sailing on Naglfar

quote:

During the events of Ragnarök, Naglfar is foretold to sail to Vígríđr, ferrying the forces of chaos that will do battle with the gods.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
These titans have some stubby hooves.

:smith:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Archenteron posted:

So what I really want to know is: Is Eren walking on the normal torso in the back and the eternal ribcage is just kinda hovering thanks to Very Powerful Spine, or is he Bone Millipeding it across the world?

He's bone millipeding.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I'm hoping we see Abominerin rear up and stand upright to give one final rage/despair/triumph filled roar to the world before his part is done.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

bees x1000 posted:

If this is Ragnarok, I'm assuming Eren is Jormungandr

and I think the superfriends are supposed to be sailing on Naglfar

I mean, Hanji is Odin: inherited position from one-armed man, lost an eye, and invented a spear.
We also had the Warhammer as Mjolnir/Thor, which now belongs to Eren.
Zeke could be Loki?
And literal Ymir.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Eren should keep the rumbling going until his host reunites upon Paradis. Freedom can only exist on a world where humanity no longer exists. /sarcasm

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

There's something to be said about Eren literally taking his Walls with him.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Lol those kids

Somehow this series ends on a happy note

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Lmao at Kid Eren being there. There's the 1 layer reading of Eren's trauma being so great that he regressed to a childlike state, and then there's the layer just beneath that is timefuckery and this is the Eren that dreams at the start of the series, pulled forward in time to see the end.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Terper posted:

Lmao at Kid Eren being there. There's the 1 layer reading of Eren's trauma being so great that he regressed to a childlike state, and then there's the layer just beneath that is timefuckery and this is the Eren that dreams at the start of the series, pulled forward in time to see the end.

I think it's supposed to be like what happened in Trost when Eren had to move the boulder but went berserk instead. He is essentially asleep and dreaming while his body moves on autopilot.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Archenteron posted:

look closely at the ribs, there's little impact poofs wherever the ribs touch the ground

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Anyone want to take a stab at Eren's logic here? I blame reading this only once a month, but I only feel like I have a cursory idea of what he's thinking, is it "well, it's either us or them so no mercy?"

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
About the Attack Titan, my understanding is that is not exactly that it has the intrinsic power to see memories from future holders. That happened, but it was because of Zeke

Once in the Path (or whatever that place where Ymir is is called), Zeke has the brilliant idea of taking Eren to a trip through Grisha's memories. During that trip, Eren is able to talk to Grisha, probably because they are linked (Eren ate Grisha), and because that is happening on that place that is (apparently) outside time

That interference causes Grisha do what he had to do to get Eren where he is now, but not only that: through Grisha's memories, Eren sends a message to past Eren. So when Eren kisses Historia hand and finally have access to the full memories of Grisha, he remembers what his future self said to Grisha, about his future plans. Thats how he can "remember the future", not because the Attack Titan has that power

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 5, 2020

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The World Inferno posted:

Anyone want to take a stab at Eren's logic here? I blame reading this only once a month, but I only feel like I have a cursory idea of what he's thinking, is it "well, it's either us or them so no mercy?"

It's... complicated.

Eren's seen these memories for years, and every time he's tried to go off script, things keep going forward like they always were going to. (It's likely that a lot of his odd Mikasa moments were trying to keep things from being what he knew they'd be.) He's had years of dealing with the almost certain knowledge that, one day, he'd start the Rumbling, that he'd have friends (Sasha at minimum, probably more) die due to his actions, and that he'd have freely chosen his path.

(His yelling at Hange is relevant here. He wanted an out, something to say in bold "Good news, Eren! We'll all be fine if you don't kill millions of innocent people!" and she didn't come through.)

As the deadline got closer, and the world seemed to lean more and more towards genocide, he was more and more convinced this was inevitable us-or-them, because he knew he'd decide to wipe everyone out in the future. Basically, it's precognition reinforcing existing reasoning.

And it's even worse, because before he knew all the reasons he'd do it, he knew he'd go on a killing rampage, which meant he had to fill in every reason he might, had to admit every other possible motive... which lead to his telling the kid this chapter that one of his motives was probably just a childish wish to have an empty world to explore. This unforgivably petty thing, as bad as Reiner's desire to be a hero, with even worse results. He knows that that isn't worth killing over. But... he saw it happen anyway.

(There's also some major Historia related motives in the mix somewhere. Making it so she wouldn't have to become a titan, trapped in the cycle of child eating parent, was his reason for being sure the 50 year plan wasn't even an option for avoiding the rumbling.)

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 6, 2020

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

About the Attack Titan, my understanding is that is not exactly that it has the intrinsic power to see memories from future holders. That happened, but it was because of Zeke

Once in the Path (or whatever that place where Ymir is is called), Zeke has the brilliant idea of taking Eren to a trip through Grisha's memories. During that trip, Eren is able to talk to Grisha, probably because they are linked (Eren ate Grisha), and because that is happening on that place that is (apparently) outside time

That interference causes Grisha do what he had to do to get Eren where he is now, but not only that: through Grisha's memories, Eren sends a message to past Eren. So when Eren kisses Historia hand and finally have access to the full memories of Grisha, he remembers what his future self said to Grisha, about his future plans. Thats how he can "remember the future", not because the Attack Titan has that power

Owl (the guy who had the attack titan before Grisha) saw Eren's memories tho

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Kild posted:

Where exactly? Not doubting, I really dont remember that

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Elias_Maluco posted:

Right before he sets Grisha free he mutters something about "looking after Eren" or something to that effect. It's a quick statement he immediately says he doesn't fully understand.

& thanks chiasaur11! Sounds like a lot of it is up to interpretation, but I can dig all that. Gonna need to do a read through of this entire second Act once things are done.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Elias_Maluco posted:

He tells Grisha to watch after Mikasa and Armin right before he offers himself up to be eaten

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Oh, it kills my theory then. A shame, it made sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Kild posted:

Yeah. The fact all three known holders of the AoT (Kruger, Grisha, Eren) have experienced future memories, while none of the other titans have demonstrated anything similar, is a pretty compelling argument for just taking at face value Grisha's reveal that this has always been the Attack Titan's special ability.

What's shown is that by accessing the Coordinate through Zeke, Eren gained the ability to deliberately influence the past, using it to close the causality loop he knew he was part of. Not just the scenes we saw when Eren was with Zeke, either - unlike when he sees bearded Zeke, Grisha isn't surprised when he sees Future Eren, and after the Reiss massacre he acts as if he's interacted with him in the past (from Grisha's perspective) which is implied to be how he knows about Eren's plans and how he learned with certainty about the Attack Titan's ability and the limits of the Founder.

So, what we can gleam from this is that from Eren's own perspective telling his dad to stand and fight was his first time interacting with the past, but this is an ability he later gains (after reaching out to Ymir?) and uses it to further interact with Grisha in unseen instances.

Now, you can indeed make the argument that this clairvoyance is not intrinsically the Attack Titan's power, and rather something that Eren gained through his contact with Ymir... but that also retroactively turns it into the Attack Titan's power, because what does he do with it? He reaches out and starts loving with the brains of all previous holders.