Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In It For The Tank posted:

That has been said and I don't buy it at all. He (or rather Ymir) chucked a barrage of rocks at their plane as they approached and tried to snipe them out of the air before they even got the chance to fight. How is that any better than taking way their ability to transform?

And even if Eren was being truthful here, why would Ymir go along with it when she (presumably) has to build them? "Hey Ymir, you're free to make your own choices now but also I command you to let my friends try and stop us so that you can stay trapped in the Paths for all eternity. Do you mind building two Armors, two Females, a Colossal, a custom Jaws order, and a 1,000 Cart Titans for me?"

Like, there's the extradiegetic reason, which is Isayama wanted a climactic final battle and realized that Eren and Ymir are gods who can win instantly if they wanted to. But from an in-universe perspective, I'm hoping for a better answer than what has been offered so far.

I expect we'll get one that basically just explains that everything we say was part of The Plan™, made possible by Eren's precognition. It will really just come down to Isayama's writing ability about how satisfying it ends up being. I just dread the answer being "Eren wanted to lose".

I don't think Ymir is going to be trapped again win or lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mightygerm posted:

There is the disconnect between Eren's stated motivations, actual? motivations and actions this entire arc.

Eren apparently has the conviction to genocide the entire world and kill, by his own admission, millions of innocent people. Why? We're lead to believe by his words that it was the only way to protect Paradis and prevent Historia from being sacrificed.
And yet somehow, despite having the godlike powers of the founding titan, he allows himself to be beaten. That's the only explanation that makes sense. Except that it doesn't, because he didn't want to do the rumbling in the first place, so going thru with it halfway and stopping seems even more pointless.
Even with him willingly refusing to ensure his victory via mind control (which is strange because he definitely had no problem offering it to Historia), he still could have used basically any other titan power to prevent them from killing him. Crystallization, hiding underground, Reiner's bullshit transfer thing, or whatever. You can't seriously believe that if you stacked up the founding titan vs a couple a shifters and Ackermans, that the latter group would win quite easily.

All of this is not even mentioning the future memories part of this which makes the above make even less sense.

I mean the most obvious and likely answer is "The vision of the future he saw required the Rumbling to be started and then fail to assure the outcome he wanted". The most likely answer is that them killing Eren helps temper the world's anger enough that the island doesn't get glassed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

It’s kind of crazy to me that this story about people constantly struggling against the unfairness and unjustness of their situations could end on a positive note because the main character learned that accepting his cruel fate and not deviating from it was the right thing to do.

I mean that doesn't seem accurate. Eren's goal from the start has been to save Mikasa and Armin, which implies the expected outcome was both of them dying. Eren even in full-on murderbabymode seems entirely likely to be someone who would accept a personal sacrifice to save others so it is very likely that the Rumbling as it is happening *is* a deviation from the expected end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wellwinds posted:

I could almost see this ending with wormkill not changing everyone back; eren gets the twisted achievement of creating the empty world that he dreamed of exploring as a child and the setting becomes what it initially looked like with paradis being a lone point of civilization surrounded by titans. Instead of discovering what apocalypse happened the series was about following it in real time.

The issue there is that Titans are explicitly a nonthreat on their own. The people of Paradis basically just tricked them all into giant guillotines once they weren't being intentionally crippled by the rulers of the country and their effectiveness as weapons was rapidly diminishing. The Rumbling was a threat because it was an army of nearly unstoppable giant behemoths being guided by a demigod. Even if you assumed that every single person left who is capable of turning into a Titan did turn into a Titan that isn't really going to stop the solution of "make a really loving big trap and let them smash themselves against it" being viable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

I mean we're assuming Isayama is actually going to tie all this stuff up. He could have just forgotten about Historia at this point.

I am pretty sure he did not forget about a character who has appeared in recent chapters. There's nothing saying she'll get any sort of satisfying resolution but she's not going to just not appear again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am sad that "Thank you for becoming a mass murderer for our sake" is too spoiler to be a title because that like made me die laughing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

comedyblissoption posted:

imagining someone actually writing a story that gives hitler a sympathetic lelouch ending and lmaoing

this is the worst possible ending

Look, he HAD to murder all those children for reasons but since MIkasa might date someone else he's really sad about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Marluxia posted:

Eren said he was giving Connie his mom back and the titans in that area turned back into humans, does that mean the colossal titans in the middle of the ocean just turned back into people and they're now drowning in the middle of the ocean

Honestly "All the Titans turned back into Humans" is *really* a thing that deserved some screentime since based off what we know some of them are probably hundreds of years old minimum.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

I'd like to state that it's fun how much like Tokyo Ghoul, another series that thrived on its raw edge and grim "anyone can die at any time" nature, this series ended with a really toothless ending that celebrated its edgy boy protagonist and made sure to just be as middle ground happy ending as it could.

I mean to give AoT credit at least I can remember the cast while 80% of Tokyo Ghoul's ending was me going "wait, who is this again? Why should I care about them?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the actual point of it was to underline how far Eren was willing to go to the point where he would be personally responsible for the horrific action that set him down this path in the first place. It's pretty drat pointless though since no time is given to dwell on it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hatty posted:

I don’t get why Eren said he doesn’t know why he wants to do the rumble when we got a pretty good look at his motives in 130 and 131. Did he want to lie to Armin so he wouldn’t think he influenced him?

The impression I got is that Eren threw out a lot of justifications for an act that, at the end of the day, boiled down to "I am really really angry and wanted to hurt people." Whatever his stated motivations were at the end of the day he was a broken hosed up kid who wanted to save his friends and hurt everyone else.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

Release the Ishiyama Cut, you cowards.

I just realized that the main trio were all in the wrong manga.

Armin wanted to be in Dr Stone.
Mikasa wanted to be a romantic comedy slice of life.
Eren wanted to be in a boxing manga.

Nah, Eren wanted to be in something like Tokyo Ghoul. Annie wanted to be in a boxing manga.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tenkaris posted:

The bird that randomly decided to adjust a girl’s scarf?

It is pretty bluntly symbolic and not "Eren literally found a way to transfer his brain into a bird, where he now lives."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it's pretty uncomfortable for a character to have a lesbian romance and then once that romance is killed (offscreen) to do literally nothing but sit around pregnant and marry the equivalent of a faceless video game NPC. Bisexual people exist but even for a bisexual person "Yep. Knocked up. Not going to be doing any of that important 'story' stuff now, just an object with no coherent narrative or plot of my own that doesn't revolve around my womb."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I understand a log of criticisms of the ending but I don't believe literally any point of the ending tries to imply the sudden Nazification of the island folk is a good thing considering literally every single character with a name is basically trying to find a resolve the situation without bloodshed, not cheering it on. Trying to imply it is remotely displayed as a good thing involves a whole lot of struggle. The forgiveness of Eren is more eeeeh but still.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thank you Rep. Gosar for comitting mass murder for us.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

I was more asking about the “inspired fortress fascists and school shooters a whole continent away.” part

I assume the former is referring to the now deleted tweet

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

As a counterpoint I juat had someone print out a self made manga where a bunch of people dressed as AoT characters beat up Donald Trump so it ain't on one side of the political spectrum

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pththya-lyi posted:

I, for one, do not think we should cede cool things to fascists

What does that have to do with AoT?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Paper Lion posted:

genocides dont have to wipe out every single member of their target to be successful, or to be classed genocides. unless you want to argue what happened in armenia or rwanda or the holocaust as "not genocides" in which case, idk what to tell you

ATTEMPTED Genocide. They don't give out the Nobel Prize for ATTEMPTED Chemistry, do they?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I suspect any change would probably be something designed to make Eren come out better in the long run. Like the Rumbling is stopped relatively quickly but it was all a plan to lure out the giant worm and killing the worm destroys the Titans and Eren did a horrible thing that freed humanity from the curse of the Titans and yada yada the end with a peace treaty or something.

I think that would suck almost as hard as the current ending but would be the kind of sap that would make people upset about the fact that Eren was a baddie happy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like the only way it makes sense is if it is Eren just saying something based off his visions that is probably not fully accurate because the Attack Titan isn't giving him perfect prophecy and omnipotence of all situations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

If I was going to buy an AoT chair, that wouldn't be the one.

Holding out for the Zachary chair, huh?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Attack on Titan fans who hate the ending are speculating on if the anime will have a different ending, writing fan comics, and getting into arguments about the themes with people who like the ending.

Game of Thrones fans who hate the ending are mostly trying to forget the show exists.

There's pretty visible differences in the reaction.

(And that's from a guy who still thinks the base version of 139 is an abysmal failure on every level that comes across as more of an insult to the editorial staff than a coherent followup to 138. The bonus pages are good, though.)

You do know that GoT is a book series too right? And all that same stuff is still happening since the series is unfinished

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lady Gagazula posted:

I went into the latest episode hoping to see Levi interact with the clown. Levi then proceeded to interact with the clown and it was amazing.

Then everyone got smashed and that was also a treat to see animated.

Then all of those other people died horribly.

All that’s left is for more people to die horribly, for Goth Mikasa to make her official debut, and for Eren to turn into a flock of seagulls.

And I ran, I ran so far away
I just ran, I ran all night and day
I couldn't get away.

Eren turned into a tree, not a flock of seagulls.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://animesenpai.net/attack-on-titan-author-felt-upset-that-there-was-criticism-on-the-last-chapter-manga-editor/

Jesus, no wonder the ending was such a mess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MorningMoon posted:

https://twitter.com/yugiohtas/status/1634237095077347329
You can go buy the basement key in fortnite right now

The Hulk and Eren are the same character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jiro posted:

I shouldn't have watched those last two episodes. This series always left a bad taste in my mouth despite how good the tension and art was.

Just so bleak and the credits imply even worse poo poo. Time passes, Eren's grave is there, Mikasa gets older, maybe married, maybe has a kid or two, gets buried there as well (?). Time passes humanity moves on, gets more technologically advanced, future cyber punk stuff, Paradis gets blown to poo poo, then gets NUKED, tree survives during those various time periods, same with headstone. Cut to post nuclear apocalypse, tree is massive and unnatural looking, also a nook has opened up just like the Titan progenitor story, and poo poo is implied to start all over again.

What's Isayama trying to say? We're just hosed? The T2 thing of John looking at the two kids realizing that humanity is hosed because two kids are shooting at each other with toy guns?

I dunno it's probably because of Russia's war with Ukraine, and Israel trying to exact revenge on Palestinians, that this affected me more than I thought it would.

I assume, based off the new ending, that it is more akin to "You can't actually solve your problems by killing everyone who you blame for them, any atrocity you try to self-justify isn't going to be the end of the story, just the next step in a cycle of oppression and hatred." You can't really solve problems by killing, you just create new problems down the line.