Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

On chapter 3 so far. Getting some weird vibes from this, I hope they don't ever fully explain the titans cause right now that's the driving thing for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

aaaaaaaaaaaaa I finished it, what happens to eren titan ffuuucccckk

How often does this come out and how often is it translated? Please tell me this isn't Claymore or Berserk...

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Based on the latest chapter, it looks like Eren is sitting at the nape of the neck. If every titan has a human there, it would makes sense that killing the human stops the titan. As for how humans become titans, uh, I have no idea.

Also, wow, this manga is amazing. Really, really, just, quite fantastic.

Dude, don't put these theories in my head. Especially ones that make sense. I won't be able to get any sleep tonight.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

Yeah, just to put this in perspective:

http://www.asahi.com/english/TKY201105310242.html

It's already sold 4.5 million tankobon copies. In what's basically a year and a half. :stare: Not too many new series manage that these days!

Anyway, enjoying this so far even if a few plot points are a bit predictable; they're at least predictable in a good way, in the "gently caress yes I want that to happen because it'd own" way. Also for any theoretical English release I think Mikasa might need to be slightly renamed, if only to prevent any sniggering from people who might know a bit of Spanish :v:

I don't know any spanish. What does it mean?

canned_fruit posted:

Uh what. This manga is addictive and interesting but the art is undeniably pretty awful.
Inanimate objects look great but everything human just looks so disproportionate as well as static (apart from the aerial stuff, that's generally pretty good).

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/10/145

For example in this panel the characters all look like they're balancing on one leg with their arms out rather than running. I'm no artist but I think it's probably because their posture is so upright among other things.

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/10/141

This shows how disproportionate his hands/arms are.

On the flip side the art style really works for the titans because the disproportionate limbs make them look very creepy.

While I will admit that the art in this isn't exceptional, and the author clearly has issues with drawing proportions and hands and posture and such, pretty much everything else is acceptable and doesn't deter me from the story.

Through the script and through what art he does do, you can see exactly what he was trying to draw but was otherwise bad at doing so.

Regardless, it still owns hard enough that I don't give a poo poo.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im not ashamed (well, perhaps a little) to admit I almost cried a few times.

wtf

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 3, 2011

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I stopped reading Gantz around the part where they were starting to capture humans, idk what happened since since htey take so long.

Gantz is pretty fun tho

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So the real question is when will chapter 14 be translated? People said up to 18 were scanlated right?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ruta posted:

I particularly found the murder scene when Erin and Mikasa were nine years old to be really unrealisitc.

I don't think you should read manga, period.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Oh hey new posts! Oh wait the next chapter isn't scanlated yet.

This thread is turning into the Berserk thread :(

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So, who knows a guy who knows a guy who does work on this scanlating it? Maybe if I threw a fiver someone would scanlate it?

:qq:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Zorak posted:

He's already working on the next volume. Patience.

Unless someone fibbed, there are raws out, but not scanlated completely. That's more or less what I was kvetchin about.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Monthly? The guy translating it right now only does whole tanks, so more like yearly.

Someone punch that dude in the gut for me, or slap him with some money. What the christ I'm not waiting a loving year.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah that translation is absolutely horrid

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Feriowind posted:

The rest of volume 4 is out!!

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/12

Why is the art so janky but the story so good?

Regardless, I love me some more AOTG

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sindai posted:

This is one of the greatest expressions I've ever seen: http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/12/17

I meant to post that, it's literally :smug:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Pigasus posted:

It's so gross to think that the giants just vomit out all of the people they eat. That just makes the scenario so much more disturbing.

I mean, even if they manage to conquer back the land, they'd have to clean the stockpiles of human bodies that are probably littered everywhere.

At this point most would be decomposed so they'd be walking through skeleton graveyards.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

This loving manga should be god drat sticked. DO IT ZORAK

edit: Aww Jean, you so tsundere :allears:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 14, 2011

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yep, top tier status of the manga is reasserted. poo poo, it's been ages since even Berserk was this good.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wtf kind of perspective was that last shot

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Titan is the planet, the titans are actually the planets antibodies/defense mechanism, the humans are the parasitic foreign beings that they are trying to remove. It us, we are the attackers :shepface:.

poo poo dude don't spoil the ending!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

Jesus christ!

e: (It's chapter 29 and it's pretty great.)

What the gently caress!

Advance of the Giants author:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 12, 2012

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Panzerschwein posted:

I thought they might have been banging each other in the first scene. I can just picture all the adorable titan babies!

Glad I wasn't alone in this.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

A lot of people hate on the art style but while it's not the cleanest, and doesn't have exact proportions, it shows a LOT of emotion, as this chapter has proven me right. A Picture Says A Thousand Words rings true in this case.

It's all you really need.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Isn't it likely to think that the titans are simply wanting to get into the city to help their entombed titan dude out of the wall?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cuchulain posted:

Uh, am I the only one seeing the connection between us finding out that the Church's "Group Prayer Stance" is joining arms and making a circular wall of humans, and finding out that the circular walls around the city are full of Titans in the same chapter?

I think the prayer stance is more of a representation of the actual walls that protect them, since they pray to the walls.

Having them be full of titans or at least 1 is just like Welp there's that religion down the drain.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

pandaK posted:

3D gear jumping titans

Oh god please, nightmare fuel

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Was there an update recently?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

codeorange posted:

You know how Christa's nameless friend was recently named Ymir?

Well, uh, I don't know what's going on any more.

Holy poo poo. poo poo just got real.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

codeorange posted:

Remember how I previously mentioned that the titan mistook the woman for Ymir? Well one page prior to that, the titan mentions five people. Could this be referring to the five people who have seen titans before? This probably means that the common titans are actually remote-controlled spawn from pilots, and that "Ymir" is probably in a different faction from Annie's group. This could also explain the behaviour of deviants. They aren't strange at all, they're actually working as scouts.

No, on the next page it says the titan said "ymir's people"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

This manga loving rules

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Pierson posted:

Advance of the George RR Martin: Your Favourite Character May Die

Mo_Steel posted:

Gotta say him picking up a Titan was pretty loving awesome.

They are weightless, remember?

Of course I have no idea how something with mass has no weight, or how they aren't flung around to timbuckfuckingtu when hit.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The only ones with plot armor are most likely Erin and his "sister"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It makes the 3D gear look like spider man gear, holy poo poo yes!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

final2percent posted:

Just re-read the entire series today. God drat it's so good.

Some further Ymir speculation from a little hint dropped here http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/38/31:

I think it's entirely possible that Ymir was transformed from a human to a titan before the walls were even erected, and recently was able to revert to a human to start life a second time. The can of herring being printed in a language that Ymir understands but Ryner doesn't implies that both the can and Ymir are from some foreign place.

I wouldn't say it's a matter of distance, it's a matter of time. That tower and the supplies weren't exactly going anywhere.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wasn't Ymir healing? Smoke coming from her wounds and all?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

It may have a smaller titan in it's neck, with the "pilot" in the smaller titan.

So gurren lagann?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So 200 new pages! New chapter out? Nope just chattin about the animes I'll never watch. :smith:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How has there not been any new releases in over a month?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Hikarusa posted:

Chapter 44 was translated as of April 12th. It's May 4th. What are you even talking about?

It feels like it's been months. I thought it was longer than that though.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So who is that dude/girl "scientist" in the glasses, and are they a guy or a girl? I need to know to solve a discussion with my friend who only watches the anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So It Goes posted:

You guys care an awful lot about viewers of a different medium experiencing the story the exact same and "correct" way as you did in a different medium. Who cares? Reminds me of Game of Thrones book readers.

edit: Some of you guys anyways, didn't mean to generalize.

vvvvvvvvv Who cares if they experience the story beats the same way as you? Why do you care? It's a completely different medium. If you want them to mimic your experience you should get them to read, then they can follow the same story beats that you experienced.

It's because TV viewers of all forms tend to be dumb as bricks and don't loving pay attention.

Also I'm not really liking how the anime isn't nearly as graphic as the manga. It's disappointing.