Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Welp. I just read all of this in a single sitting because my life is a full and rich oyster.

Holy poo poo, I can't wait for more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Serious Frolicking posted:

Hanji is pretty great, yeah. More than anything else, she believes in the cause of the scouting legion. She does whatever she has to to fight the war with the titans, be it treating captive titans nicely or threatening to murder a priest. She is sort of like a version of Eren who isn't a dumbass.

So she's not like Eren at all then?

Kidding, kidding. Eren also has murderous shonen spirit on his side.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Gyges posted:

Unless Reiner watched almost everyone he knew and loved killed either before him or in a hopeless death march, both of which were directly resulting from Eren himself, he's got to be absolutely insane to think this would work. Whether the humans within the walls are giant douchebags to the human-titans outside or not, you're not going to get the guy who you directly caused to watch the torturous death of his mother on your side. I find it highly unlikely that none of Mikasa, Eren, or Armin mentioned the trauma of watching Titans eat your family before your eyes in their years of training where every other sentance out of Eren's mouth was "Kill all titans". I mean, someone had to have asked why this kid is so hyped to bathe in the blood of his enemies despite every other person to ever encounter a Titan being content to just poo poo their pants and never mention it again.

Basically anyone other than Eren could reasonably be expected to hear what the Armored Titan and his buddy the Colossal Titan have to say. Or at the very least humor them. Anyone who has spent 5 minutes with Eren knows he's not that guy, let alone people who've trained with him for years and seen the Rage Titan at work.

They make a really big point of him not saying anything during a flashback (I think) fairly early on during their training, when they explain why they're even soldiers. If he didn't spill then, he didn't spill at all is my thought.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Maybe I'm just being paranoid with "everything these three people say actually has double meanings" but still, the emphasis on the last panel sticks out a bit for me. Maybe she was ordered to join the scouting legion to help keep an eye on Eren, but knew it could likely result in her death - so she opted to go to the safety of the inner walls?

Or she was ordered to the inner walls as a spy/sleeper agent to some other purpose. I'm not totally sure any of them knew about Eren in advance, I don't think it was until after he went Titan that first time that he became an actual target of interest.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

For that matter, why would they send all of their spies into the same class? Wouldn't it have made more sense to spread them out to different cities and groups, to make detection more difficult? I can sort of understand why Reiner and Bertholdt would be together, since they're needed together in order to dismantle the wall defenses, but why would Annie need to be near them as well? The fact that there are only three of them implies that creating these human-titans is either extremely difficult to do, or extraordinarily taxing on resources - otherwise they could have just sent a pair of colossal + armored to each gate and taken them all down at once. So if they're so limited, wouldn't it be more strategically sound to split them up, so they're not ALL in the same class? Annie obviously isn't part of the strategy utilized to take the walls, so why keep her with Reiner and Betholdt?

And who the gently caress knows about Ymir.

I'm not really sure on why Reiner, Bert, and Annie all ended up in the same class together. It does seem to be front loading their spies a little, but maybe it was just the easiest way. They're all about the same age, and this let them cover each other's backs and then go separate ways after graduation.

Ymir, though, she was a coincidence. I don't think any of them, even the other Titans, knew she was one of them. I get the feeling she got through the walls somehow and just blended in for her own reasons. She did say she'd gotten a second chance at life, which was likely when she got through the wall. I'm still more curious what ties she has to the first recorded talking Titan that mentioned something about "Ymir's People". It seems unlikely that she's not related to that.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Breaky posted:

That and the scout that Titan was talking to looked like Ymir.

A little bit. Maybe Ymir is much, much older than she looks?

Come to think of it, we see Titan Ymir eating people in that little flashback from Bert and Reiner but we've never seen any other Human-Titan eat people. That they're content to just kill is even something of an identifying trait for them.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
That's my point. Did Ymir transition from being a normal Titan into a Human-Titan, then? That would certainly fit with her "second chance" bit, and the fact that the Titans are basically giant homunculi. Homunculus?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Toadsniff posted:

Connie's mom went from non-titan to full blown titan, at least she never showed (much) human intelligence, same start as Ymir. Maybe some get lucky and learn to control it.

That's a good point, but then doesn't that imply that all Titans are human? Or, at least, that the state of being human or Titan is fluid? Any human could become a titan, and any titan could become a human, through I assume dark magic.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Breaky posted:

Maybe it's irreversible normally and Eren's dad is one of the ones that knows of a way to control / reverse it.

Maybe, we'll have to see if any of this gang say anything. That would then make me wonder if the reason he wasn't treating Mikasa was because she's a secret-Titan too. Might explain her monster strength.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
I always assumed there was just a lot of random, unannounced flashbacks.

Edit: Reading just the first few pages again though, it is all really weird. We see a group of the Scouting Legion fighting a Titan, which ultimately seems to be a dream Eren was having. But then on the page where he wakes up it does start with a shot of a bit older looking Mikasa with short hair apparently saying "See you later", but the speech bubble is separate from her saying "Eren" and trying to get him up.

I just took Eren's comment on her hair getting longer as confusion upon waking up, but there could be more to it. Very weird.

RyuujinBlueZ fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 12, 2013

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
That would actually make sense, though. If it was supposed to be written for future generations. Telling the history of the defeat of the titans, or whatever the end game will be.

Or maybe that was the original plan and it's changed now and it means literally nothing.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Rolling with the 'Eren is Jesus' theory: Sasquatch is God. I guess this could also mean that Eren's dad is actually Sasquatch. Eren's dad DID inject Eren with something, that maybe was the cause for him turning into a titan - if the Sasquatch actually is Eren's dad, this may ACTUALLY make sense and not just be me being stupid.

For some reason Wikipedia supports this theory, claiming that Eren's old man has been confirmed as Sasquatch in the manga.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Autumncomet posted:

What countries are you guys from that over six feet is "fairly average size," honest question?

Depending on where you live in the US, 6+ feet can be fairly average. In every group of friends I've ever had, the five-nine guy was the short man while everyone else had several inches on them.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There is literally nowhere in the US where 6+ feet can be considered average. There is nowhere in the entire world where that is the case, although Scandinavia and the Netherlands come close. Must be something in all the North Atlantic fish. :v:

Back in high school I was actually one of the shorter kids in school at around 6' (I'm 6'2" now). The entire high school was like that. Probably close to 80% of the students were crazy tall, 10% were more "average", and 10% were some kind of mouse-people that almost literally scurried between the legs of giants.

So yeah, apparently the mountains do that? Then again there's supposedly a lot of radiation in that area, so maybe that's it. gently caress if I know.

Edit: Notably I'm not saying it's the actual average, just that in my age group and class, the average height was much higher than the official average.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Gyges posted:

It's a perfectly reasonable assumption that Eren is the Titan given that people were speculating that people eaten by Titans become Titans and were convinced that Eren wasn't actually dead already in the Anime thread. Especially given the prolonged Eren motivating Mikasa thought scene immediately preceding her getting saved by a Titan that clearly hates other Titans.

But hey, why just ignore spot on speculation posts when you can make it clear to everyone that they're right?

I wasn't even aware it was supposed to be a secret. Reading the manga as soon as we saw Titeren I realized it was him, no spoilers involved. Just went "Oh, hey, now he's a Titan, cool." And then enjoyed him wrecking poo poo. I wrote off nobody figuring it out in-universe as them not being keen on shonen hero trends.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

SirDan3k posted:

Actually that does bring up that none of the Human titians have eaten-eaten anybody only held them in their mouths. So eating humans isn't a driving need for them.

I'm pretty sure this has been said at least a couple times in the manga, that there's literally no reason for the titans to eat people. They have no actual need to do it, and as we've seen with the Human-Titans they're more than capable of killing in conventional means. Eating seems to be an entirely psychological warfare thing.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

PowFu posted:

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/7/19

Rereading the manga, I noticed something interesting about Marco's panel on this page.

He has girlishly small hands?

(No, I get it, he's covering the side of his face that's missing later.)

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
So re-reading it again now, I just realized that four of the top five graduating students were/become titans. Only Mikasa, at the top, is (apparently) human. That just amuses me for some reason, because it shows the titans really didn't give a poo poo about holding back and were totally cool with going all out and still placed below Mikasa.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

More than that it makes me wonder about the entire Inner Wall guard dudes who are supposedly protecting the king, since they're always top of the class cadets. :shobon:

Yeah, which brings me to another interesting point.

Just before Jean and Eren's first bar fight (which is actually the first time we see Eren's fighting style and it's mentioned he was tops at hand-to-hand, well before we see his titan form) Jean asks Bert and Annie where they're going. Bert notes to the royal guard, and Annie responds that she is too. Then she shoots Bert a dirty look and adds "That doesn't mean I'm anything like you", which in hindsight is mighty interesting.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Yeah, I think those are supposed to be leftover titan gunk or veins or something.

On the subject of foreshadowing, though, there's a loving ton of it all over the place. Lots of conversations that are worded just so, where on first blush they seem to be about one thing but in hindsight are almost clearly about something entirely different.

As for titan superpowers in human form, keep in mind that all of Eren's training happens after he was shot up by his dad. And remember that when they were first learning the 3DMG the instructor commented on how impossible it was that Eren even briefly kept his balance with faulty gear. I'd say it's at least possible that all of them have some level of superhuman powers even in human form, it's just that Eren tends to get his rear end kicked before he can make use of anything.

Though honestly, I also kind of suspect Mikasa might have some of the titan in her. She'd been treated by the good doctor at least once before, and he was paying her a visit that day for another treatment. There's no saying he wasn't experimenting on random people. Could be part of why he took her in, even. Hell, depending on how sinister he ends up being he could have arranged the whole thing to be able to keep a closer eye on her.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

TTBF posted:

We don't know much about Eren's dad, but I hope he'd be smart enough to not experiment with a human to titan formula on someone he's taken into his house. There would be a definite fear that an unproven formula could cause someone to turn into a titan if they hurt themselves accidentally, and do you really want an out of control titan at your breakfast table?

True, that does seem unlikely, but it is still possible. I will say it's more likely that he just decided to take her in and keep an eye on her. If, of course, there is anything special he did to her.

Come to think of it, if she does have some titan in her it isn't active at all since we've seen her wounded without the regeneration to patch it up.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Mio Bison posted:

As other people have commented the training arc wasn't shown before Eren Titan in the manga to reveal his fighting style and develop him further, nor can you see hair/eye color in B/W, so there are fewer tells regardless. Not sitting around talking to people for weeks and weeks before reading the subsequent chapters also helps!

Actually, we do see him fight and I think even see him use similar moves before he goes titan the first time. He has a bar brawl with Jean, and that's also the first time it's mentioned that he's extremely good at hand-to-hand combat.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Serious Frolicking posted:

You are right, it will actually turn into a shounen cooking manga. Sure, none of the cast seems to give two shits about cooking and it wouldn't help with that little titan problem, but I'm sure they can pull it off convincingly.

I fail to see how a revolution that is directly tied to the Titan problem via humans being the ones who started it/are controlling it wouldn't work. I mean, that's still dealing with the titan problem, just maybe not in the way you'd normally expect. Honestly, that's kind of the way I'm expecting it to go. It comes out the walls are titans and the government is controlling it all, and humanity splinters to fight among themselves with titans basically being used as poorly-guided weapons by the resistance and human-titans being a part of the loyalist army.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Given Reiner and Berty were from the same village and are both titans, it's entirely possible. Isn't the area of the outer most walls supposed to be about the size of France? Forget where I read that. But if the planet as a whole is the same size as ours, that leaves a ton of space for other nations.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Jackard posted:

"We created demons to fight the dragons" :v:

Yeah, I'm just a little bit afraid that it might go that way. Though maybe that twist worked out? I stopped reading about then.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Metropolis posted:

I do wonder if they're really from the same 'village' or if that was more of a shared metaphor they agreed upon so they could talk about their homeland with each other openly.

Except they both talk about a titan eating shared friends at a shared village, with that titan turning out to be Ymir and they both recognize her as being the titan that ate their shared friends at a shared village.

I mean, yeah, they're totally talking about a place outside of the walls but I'm pretty sure they do also come from the same village in that place. Even if not by birth, then they shared a village for a stretch of time prior to entering the walls.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

hackbunny posted:

A little detail about the human-titan faction: they are not organized. They are probably "just" a small terrorist faction. Why do I think this? when asked by Connie, Bertolt specifically describes young Reiner as a "warrior" (in contrast to a "soldier"):

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/39/36

poo poo, this is important enough that the chapter is titled "Soldier", and the chapter where Reiner reveals himself as the armored titan is titled "Warrior". The series is very serious about the meaning of being a soldier, and this weird emphasis on "warrior" (I don't think anyone else has ever been described as such in the whole series) is guaranteed to be super-important. It tells us, at the very least, that there isn't a military organization behind the human-titans, so there can't be too many of them either

I'm pretty sure the point they're making here is that a "warrior" fights with honor and conviction for something he personally believes in, while a "soldier" fights for what he's told to. In some cultures, being a warrior is seen as superior as you still retain your free will to choose what you die for.

hackbunny posted:

And what's so special about the wound that causes the transformation, anyway? something is up with it all right:

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/10/88

The carcass that Eren conjured to stop the cannonball poured out of the wound

There's nothing special about the wound, the transformation springs from the blood. This is why unarmored human-titans are lacking skin and generally look like the inside-parts of people. It seems to be that natural titans have skin, though, and that natural titans who become human can retain skin when they transform.

hackbunny posted:

To top it off, my favorite mystery:

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/38/31

Canned herring from another world. This is a serious huge loving deal. You can't just craft or tinker canned, labeled food: there is, or used to be, an entirely separate industrial civilization. Considering that the shelf life of canned food cannot possibly extend to a century, and that Ymir didn't dismiss it as rotten, the other civilization still exists, or existed until very recently. Are they walled up too? why did they kick out and "kill" Ymir?

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/40/39

Was it because she was born a titan?

As someone else said, canned found can last a really long time. The fact that Ymir could read the old writings gave her away as a titan, because only they should still remember how to read the old language. It might even be that the others of the Titan Trio couldn't read it if pressed.

I'm pretty sure Ymir was born a titan, or is otherwise a "natural" human-titan given she looks much more like a normal titan when transformed than any of the other human-titans. It might be more accurate to say that while the others are humans who can take on the form of a titan, Ymir is a titan that can take on the form of a human.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ I don't think she really looks that similar. She looks like some sort of troll thing, whereas most "regular" titans resemble caricatures of humans much more.

I would say she looks considerably more like a regular titan than any of the other four human-titans, though, by far.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I don't think she became a titan (if she wasn't one to begin with) in the same way that Eren/Reiner/etc did. I just think that she also doesn't look much like regular titans.

I'm wondering if maybe she's not a "real" titan, with most of the titans we've seen being man-made in some way. This might also tie into that talking titan from before.

She could also just be one of the first experimental human-titans, I guess, but if she is the same titan what ate up Reiner and Bert's village then it seems more fitting for her to have always been a titan of some kind and then made the transition into humanity.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

hackbunny posted:

Unless she is paraphrasing a lot:

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/40/28

Who names titans when they are born, if she's titan-born? Who are "them" and why did "they" think her fate was sealed?

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/40/39

How did she "die" and whom did this make happy? I guess it's the "them" above. It sounds a lot like she was exiled for being a human-titan, or maybe the wrong kind of human-titan (titan racism?)

Oh and besides

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/40/25

Why and how did she get to the innermost land?

I don't know if you're trying to debate me here or not, but I'm not sure how any of your points counter what I said because what I said is more of a shot-in-the-dark theory. We don't know any of that yet, though there are possibilities. There does, for one, seem to be a community of human-titans beyond the walls. Maybe even a community of humans.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Shadow0 posted:

Who is the "rage titan" I see some reference to? The one that talked to Ilse in the side story? They did a fantastic job locating that notebook, by the way.

Pretty sure "rage titan" is just a nickname for Eren-Titan, probably from before the reveal.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Mio Bison posted:

As Reiner shows later by speedhealing his broken arm and yanking off the cast (and Annie shows herself by healing the one eye in Titan form) they have the ability to suppress/control their regeneration as they choose so they don't have to be too paranoid about suffering injuries.

Isn't there at least a couple times that Eren heals without him or anyone else immediately noticing it? I'd assume if he was steaming up in the process, someone would have said something.

I need to get back to my rereading.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Jackard posted:

This. Stop calling attention to speculation, morons.

More importantly, report it and let Zorak make sure the lesson sticks.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Soulcleaver posted:

Seconding the request for a thread title change. I read both threads but I'm extra extra careful to check which one I'm in before replying to either of them because they're so similar and I don't want to ruin that Dumbledore is secretly the titan that ate Eren's mother or something.

Could literally just swap the current title around and it'd probably be easier to tell apart, since then they wouldn't both start with "Attack on Titan!"

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

AradoBalanga posted:

....I'd play it.

Katamari Bertamacy.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Maybe the walls were never constructed to protect mankind to begin with but to protect or hide something else from the titan factions that they're are both after. Humanity is just a slight annoyance/impediment in between the titans and their true goal.

You know, doesn't that Titan Text on the inside covers (or wherever it was) suggest that the walls were already present when humanity arrived? It could indeed be that humanity fled the titans (or something else) over the seas and then found that walled fortress and just decided to move on in. It was never strictly intended for them, and may arguably be the worst place for humanity to be.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

of bees posted:

Change of topic here, but remember earlier when we were talking about making a game with the 3D movement gear as a feature? Someone made a Minecraft mod that does just that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNvYk9oWYfw

While that is extremely awesome, am I the only one slightly disappointed that it didn't end with a Minecraft Colossal Titan at the end?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

SC Bracer posted:

Quite a few non-English languages do in fact have specific terms of address and verb conjugations to indicate politeness. And even in English there's a big difference between casual speech and formal speech in the words you choose etc.

Another way you could think of it is putting on an accent when you go to a different country or something to fit in better, which is a thing that does happen (some of my friends do it too sadly).

I've always found that English is very, very much about tone of voice and how you say something, not what you say. There's definitely impolite and polite language, but for the most part whether something is seen as rude or sarcastic is down to how the speaker says it.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Grei Skuring posted:

Yeah, it doesn't add up if they're that light. The physics are all wonky. Wouldn't the Colossal Titan be swept away like a leaf in the wind?

I think the idea is that they're lighter than they look, not all exceptionally light. There's a big difference between "30 meter giant only weighs 500 pounds" and "30 meter giant weighs 20 tons" or whatever.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Vincent Valentine posted:

Bert being the colossal titan is pretty much perfect. Bert isn't goofy, funny or weird. He isn't particularly cool, suave or charismatic either. He's not the best at Military Life, he's also not the worst. Things go crazy all around him and he's just sort of getting through life the best he can.

That's what makes his titan form so great. He's not just average, he's so average if he didn't exist nobody would notice. Because he never does anything and he has like five lines.

And he's the most iconic character from the series

Bert is the best at what he does. It's just that he only does one thing, and not terribly often at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Honestly I still just like that Mikasa beats three (at the time) titan-humans for the top spot. I mean, we have no real proof that their titan-ness gives them any edge other than regeneration (though you could argue that regeneration would do a lot for increasing the speed of muscle growth and training) but still. The next three people are loving titans and Mikasa just casually beats them out. Especially since, as I recall, none of them ever suggested they held back to avoid top spot like Ymir.