Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Gabi seems to just be Eren's successor. Eren just killed a bunch of people she knew and caused the death of several of her friends. So now she is the Marelyen version of Eren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wellwinds posted:

I think that's more Falco since he's actually human enough that getting duped like this would push him towards a manic desire for revenge. Gabi's very erenish but she's always been willing to go above and beyond to murder marley's enemies.

Yeah but Falco may be dead.

While Gabi has already sworn revenge against Eren Yeager as his allies shot soldiers she knew right in front of her.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Manatee Cannon posted:

well, reiner was with falco as well. there's a good chance he's alive. I think they've built up his role going forward enough that killing him there wouldn't make much sense

the difference between gabi and eren is that she'd have gone to war with the paradisians regardless of what eren did here

And Eren would have gone after the Titan regardless of the attack on the wall by Reiner.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wellwinds posted:

"This is how I go out are you goddamn kidding me?!"

Side note I feel like the easiest way to deal with warhammer would have been to just shake the poo poo out of her crystal when he first dug her up

That would not work. It's solid the whole way through up to her. Nothing to shake around.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Someone in that thing went like Nazi sympathizers are sum and Isayama is horrible for it. To which someone pointed out that he is not a Nazi Sympathizer and they are clearly presented as the villains and being in the wrong. To which he stated whatever thats your opinion.

Thats not an opinion.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Lets also not forget that several characters frowned upon and called out the collateral damage that Eren and some of the other soldiers did.

Mikasa notably calling out Eren for the damage he did. As it appears it was not the original part of the plan.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Perfect Potato posted:

Erwin literally mulched 90% of his men in every post Eren-Titan plan he had and now Levi and Hange are giving Eren poo poo for a plan that got 8 people killed tops and paid off massively lmao

Cause this was not the plan.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From the sound of it, Paradis Island originally intended to go down a more Diplomatic path, but Eren forced their hands as in the end they were not willing to lose him, and the titans he had in him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Taikuri posted:

Well that was loving depressing read

Straight up murdering all the friendly Marley after getting serums even with 3 years of mingling behind them. Gabi still keeping her killing streak going. Eren, Zeke and Historia being prisoners on their own ways.

It is still baffling how I can't predict even 10% of the stuff that's going to happen chapter to chapter, always getting more surprising and depressing developments. :smith:

Thats not what's happening.

They are threatening Zeke's group because they refuse to release Zeke. The rest of the Friendly Marley's are still around. It appears they are just arresting not killing Zeke's group.

Also Historia while not happy was the one who decided to make an heir for the good of everything. From the looks in that meeting the majority there were against it.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

also, lol historia. five years later and she's as much of a puppet as she ever was, and now she gets to be a baby factory, too.

Good chapter. The realpolitik was a definite improvement from the touchy-feely kumbaya crap from last month.

Historia is the one who made the call there.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 6, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It feels it ends a bit abruptly. So I don't think everything is there.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Good stuff this chapter, if a bit low-key. Let's hear it for Our Man Floch, the only named Eldian who understands what this war is really about and what the ordinary people deserve to know about it.

Also, surprisingly good points from Gabi about the sins we carry from our forefathers, and how some transgressions simply are too great to ever, ever be atoned for, much less forgiven, even generations later.

The flaw in her thinking is the implication that Marelian people or the peoples of any of the other nations in the world are any better.

Man you are such an rear end in a top hat about this. Nothing about what you have said is correct.

You know what there is no real point in engaging you about this when this is these are the first posts you made in this thread.

No, it's Japan. As I have been suspecting, this whole thing has been an ultra-nationalist screed. Japan is inside the walls, everything out is literally "the rest of the world".

"Did they get to the basement yet" is going to be replaced with "Has Eren killed Armin yet" because there's literally no other way his arc can resolve now, with all the foreshadowing dropped.

Alternatively, "did they genocide the people outside the walls yet."

Like I don't get why you hate everyone in the story.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 6, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yet if the perpetrators are long dead, who else but their descendants can bear both the reparations and retributions their victims (or their descendants) are due?

Or are the victims just to be forever denied their justice and revenge because "lol learn turn the other cheek, y'all"?

Their justice is gotten cause the perpetrators are already dead you idiot.

Blaming someone for something their ancestors did is the thought process of assholes.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 6, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shinjobi posted:

Justice and revenge are simple concepts applied to complex situations. Life isn't black and white. Watch an anime, for crying out loud.

:shobon:

There is also a difference between Justice and Revenge. Namely you are not entitled to the later.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah no one has said all Marelians deserve to die. And in the thread and in story, what Eren did is considered a bad thing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Can we have him banned from the thread?

Cause he does this every time a chapter comes out. Even talking about how the plane must be used for bombing, despite that clearly not being the plan.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
As well it's fine for Gabi to hate Eren after several of her friends died directly from his rampage.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
That image of Zeke running away was hilarious.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The new chapter is out.

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/attack-on-titan/en/0/113/page/1

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

morcant posted:

Maybe this is just rampant speculation but, we're seeing "paths" in action again, right? Not just Levi's crew getting turned, but the other people who've drunk the wine felt that moment too when Zeke screamed. Which looks to include Pixis, the Garrison, MPs, but not Hanji or Mikasa/Armin/etc.

But also it seemed like, right before Levi came to kick rear end his, that Zeke was talking to Eren? Or at him, if we're going the "Eren's being controlled" route, which... I could see, since this seems like a jump up in anyone's demonstrated ability to use the paths so far.

Zeke's scream could have turned them into titans. They were probably feeling the effects, but because they were out of range they were not turned.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Captain Cappy posted:

I think I remember reading somewhere that monthly comics are labeled as the next month for some reason. So what we just read was the "February" release and the "March" release will be next month.

Also I was really hoping that Levi would just kill him and royally gently caress up the plan. If Eren comes strolling along and says "I stopped you from killing him because you're my mind slave" and it's not refuted I'm gonna lose it. I already don't like this "just put some Zeke blood in some wine and everyone's mind controlled" plot that's happening.

No one is mind controlled. It's just that Zeke can turn them into Titans.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

One thing's for sure as of this chapter now, though: the possibility that this war ends in peace for both sides is now impossible. Either Paradise unleashes the Rumbling and exterminates the world, or they get delayed long enough for the world's invasion fleet to bombard Paradise into rubble. Either way, the Eldian/non-Eldian blood feud is going to end very conclusively, and I can't wait for the second and final battle of World War Titan.

I am tried of this poo poo and I am hoping this nips it for good. We have confirmation from the author that the ending is not going to be bleak.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sjs00 posted:

Two supports is awesome dude this LP is great Tiny Tina into the lander first

This is not the advance wars thread.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I read that Twitter thread and 80% of it are people who have not read the thing, and are spreading misinformation.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Captain Cappy posted:

I don't feel like the blog post is doing enough to actually establish this. Paradis just asserted itself on the World Stage (without introducing themselves first) by dropping a nuclear device on the nearest port city. Like if that is supposed to be a parallel to Japan in the 80's/90's, then what the heck is it a parallel to? If it is supposed to be a parallel to what Japan did in the first half of the 20th century, then isn't that admitting that what Japan did is bad?

Maybe the reason it isn't gelling with me is that I don't think that what Eren and crew did in Marley was supposed to be portrayed as good? Also a "Japanese" character in this analogy was the one provoking the mainland to attack Japan. I just don't feel like it holds up other than "they're on an island."

Oh it for sure was not portrayed as good. Almost all of the rest of the cast was like "Eren what the gently caress were you thinking."

Then he was thrown in prison and was going to go on trial for treason with them planning to possibly feed him to another titan.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Author has confirmed the ending is not going to be a bleak one.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Uhhh... pretty sure he always meant it as "Because I was born into this world, I'm entitled to free reign in it and anyone or anything that tries to deny me that freedom is my enemy!" He's literally been saying the world is his birthright simply because he was born into it his entire life.

It's like Luffy's views on freedom, if Luffy was an entitled mass murdering paternalistic psychopath.

No rear end in a top hat. We already know that was not the case.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Eren got super lucky at the end there.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also he moved.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sindai posted:

That's the usual solution in a story like this, but what stops Marley from invading Paradis and slaughtering all Eldians afterwards?

The Rumbling. The plan that Onyankopon says is that the world has to see the power of the Rumbling once, if it destroys the invading forces that should get everyone to back off.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kassad posted:

But that doesn't solve the problem that there needs to be Eldians who can become Titans for that to work. The remaining lifespan of Eren and Zeke isn't long enough.

I don't think it can revert the Titans already in the Walls to humans. So the rumbling would still work the one time.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kassad posted:

But they still need to be able to do it after that, for however many decades it takes to catch up to the rest of the world. And since Eren only has a few years left, that means keeping a bunch of people who can become Titans to pass on his powers.

They only need to do it once. If they lose access after it does not matter cause everyone will be scared off.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Beefstew posted:

I was watching the Castle Superbeast video that was linked in the other thread, and the guys in there seem convinced that Annie is Zeke's daughter. And at first I thought that was stupid, but then as I thought about it more, I realized that if we didn't have evidence to the contrary (seeing her real dad), it actually makes a lot of sense. It explains why her scream can control Titans, why she has a bit of the royal family look, and it ties her obsession with returning to her father into the larger narrative. I'm wondering if this is something Isayama had planned for originally but ended up scrapping, or if it's just a really weird coincidence. Or maybe it's a plot twist to come.

We saw Annie's dad in the first season. Annie had flashbacks to him and he looked nothing like Zeke. We also saw him at the Tybur announcement.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Warhammer did it too, but Jaw Titan could break it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Eren looked frightened when he learned that Zeke was going to scream. Guess he did not want that to happen.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JahRoo posted:

Has it been specified whether zeke has to scream for any titans made with his spinal fluid to transform, or is it only for folks who have ingested it rather than been injected?

I think it's just the activation requirement nothing more.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

KazigluBey posted:

I will never get over how the focus shifted (not entirely, but certainly helped by the protagonist basically turning heel) to antagonists written in a way that is clearly meant to elicit sympathy and they just happen to be thin expy versions of WW2 Kapos. There's making sympathetic villains/antagonists and then there's this. Every maudlin or even vaguely sympathetic beat they get is pretty grody to me.

Funny how the extreme body horror of the titans and visceral gore of the manga don't really match up to that. If this was the intended outcome then bravo, I guess.

The Marelyians have not been portrayed as sympathetic. The Eldian's of Liberio have been.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Last I checked Gabi admitted she was wrong after Nile saved her. But she is not going to get over Zeke and Eren's attack. Like Zeke's Scream was one of his most evil moments in the series. I think it surpasses his tossing rocks like a baseball to murder people and laughing about it.

The most obvious answer is that Armin's correct and he's planning to unleash a partial Rumbling: effectively, a limited nuclear strike to annihilate all the invading forces and kill several million civilians in non-Paradise territory to get everyone to back the gently caress off.

There was no plan to attack Civilians.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Eiba posted:

I think the plan to Rumble the giant titans around Shiganshina, which is Armin's theory, would probably end up killing some civilians as they go on a rampage.

Why it's been evacuated and there are no civilians outside it's walls.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The whole point of the Rumbling is the Wall Titans, once awoken, cannot be stopped and will crush anything in their path as they roam in a straight line from their starting point across the earth. This point was explicitly told to us when the true purpose of the Wall Titans was revealed.

They can just recall the Wall Titans. (If the person controlling them if alive.) There is no need to make them leave Paradis, defeating the invading force as the characters explained will be all the deterrent they need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Armin sure seemed rather perturbed about a plan that supposedly only involves killing the invasion force.

That's what they want. Armin is worried it will go farther than that.