Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

RatHat posted:

That was just them speculating how the titans got in if not through the wall. I still think it's obvious the hairy titan is going around transforming people somehow.

EDIT: So on Page 14 Ryner says "Our objective was to wipe out all the humans within the wall." Could someone who knows Japanese read the raw and see if he does actually specify the humans within the wall? Because that would imply there are humans OUTSIDE the wall, which Ryner and Bertholdt probably came from.

No mention of the wall. Literally it's "this humanity."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

They do look very young in that pic. Maybe they were all in the same 'class' (or whatever you call a group of trainee child soldiers), Ymir lost control of her new powers, and started eating people? We know that's an occupational hazard for human-Titans, especially inexperienced ones.

Except there is no reason for them not to know who she is if that was the case.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Why do we think Ymir is a feral Titan again? It's no longer true that she attacked a random village. She attacked a human Titan.

Also I don't know if anyone pointed it out already, but Kronos the leader of the Titans did devour but not digest his children, out of fear they would later overthrow him. So the English name might be less arbitrarily selected than it seems at first.

In favour: Hairy is most likely creating Titans and the attack on the Wall is mostly about human Titans (his children). The swallowing whole part.

Against: Nothing else we have seen up till now is remotely Greek.

Does that actually tell us something? Who knows. If we think of Hairy and his ilk as antique gods than him not knowing about human weapons is reasonable. A god doesn't have to read intelligence reports. And now he went to look why the bugs he ordered squashed haven't been squashed yet.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

They might have been unable to go home because Ymir killed the the third one. Suppose he was Titan royalty and they were grunts. How are they to explain that they are alive and junior is dead? Now they need something so the Titan chief doesn't use them as building material if they try to come home.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

It's a lot more obvious than in the manga since they already had the injection scene.
The key alone could have been picked up from his corpse, but the secret visit makes it clearer that his personal story hasn't ended.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 5, 2013

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This line's translation is pretty awkward: "In the new world, great walls had originally been prepared." In trying to parse what that actually meant, I remembered what the walls were made of. So they sailed to a new continent that was free of titans, and built a wall made of titans?

Nothing in the sentence implies that they built the wall. In fact it says the opposite: もともと (originally; by nature; from the start) and the verb is passive.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Some unordered thoughts:
Wall Ymir sounds plausible. She might have been in the mobile part Rainer broke. There is no particular reason why petrified titans would have to age so I don't see that as a problem.
Why does everyone assume that she attacked Rainer before the wall was broken instead of right after?
As to getting eaten, she might not have the ability to harden on her own.

We don't actually know if Rainer can't read the language on the cans. If it was Titan speech he wouldn't have admitted knowing it.

Shadow0 posted:

Perhaps they wanted humans to leave the walls, so they had to tear them down first.

Rainer states explicitly that their goal was to kill all humans behind the walls. Maybe the wall titans can only leave when there are no longer any humans to protect?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

onepixeljumpman posted:

For Ymir to have attacked them after they came inside, they would have had to come in, established a base camp village inside the farmland section of the walls, then somehow snuck into the next closest city and join up with the military. I guess it's possible they could have come in during the confusion of Operation "gently caress that section of the population" or pretending to be lost kids found by a group of scouts, but then they'd have to field the questions of how they managed to survive titan infested land as children. It just doesn't make as much sense.

The land between the first and second wall is huge and the evacuation was hardly well planned. It should have taken a lot of time until scattered groups of refugees stopped arriving at the inner gates. And with village do you mean the story Berthold tells about the titans arriving in their home village? That might have been entirely unrelated to Ymir or it have happened while they were resting in a farm building on their track to the inner walls.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Vincent Valentine posted:

There was a line in the anime along the lines of "Their memories will help you understand your powers." when Eren was hulking out to block the cannon shot

I can't remember, was that in the Manga?

It was.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Anime_Otaku posted:

Add me to the "How can people really think Hanji's a dude?" pile. Guess it explains why her voice is a lot lower than I expected.

I started doubting once I tried figuring out what name Hanji was supposed to be. Hans was the only one that came to mind.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Looking back at the last few pages a lot of posters seem to forget that Rainer explicitly stated that their goal was to erase all the humans. Not nudge them into action.

The world has no future is new and apparently common knowledge among the Titans. That might explain a lot of Ymir's attitude, although she is now right back to dying for someone else's happiness.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

They definitely had to wait until the area between the walls was saturated or the hole would just have been filled up. The suicide charge the humans did would have slowed the process down a bit. Once you have to wait for a few years anyway it isn't really far fetched to wait until a really good opportunity presents itself.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Given that the language on the can is foreign to Reiner,

I wouldn't necessarily believe him in that instant. Don't really see him saying: "Hey did you learn that in Titan school too? Always hated mirror Katagana."

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

HenryEx posted:

At that point, he didn't know she was a titan.

My point is that even if it was the written language of his home city he had no reason to admit that he could read it and every reason to lie about it. Though admittedly he wasn't thinking particularly clearly at the time so its probably the truth.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

Anyway, humanity hiding behind the wall for only a hundred years and yet seemingly forgetting everything except the one book that Armin has is kind of ridiculous. Like Star Wars Episode 3 -> 4 ridiculous. There are millions of people and it is barely two/three generations ago. I don't understand how only the wall cult knows about the millions of Jedi that existed only twenty years ago walls.

Knowledge of the outside is actively suppressed making it not something you tell your kids about when they are too young to know when to shut up. Most of our protagonists suffer from eaten parents syndrome so they have every reason to know very little. Now interviewing hundreds of octogenarians might lead to some results though it seems likely that even at the time very few people actually understood what was happening.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

j4on posted:

The entire scene with the corpses was filler.

And didn't make much sense. Since Titans try to eat humans and the Survey Corps rarely holds ground recovery of bodies should be the exception and not the norm. And this situation certainly wasn't the exception. For all they knew Annie was just behind them.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Factory Factory posted:

Chapter 47, pages 6-7, Bert and Ernie are talking about the time Ymir ate their buddy. Reiner says that because of that, she became human again. Then page 15 of that chapter, Ernie asks Ymir about her memory of becoming human again and she didn't know who she ate. And Bert says he and Ernie didn't remember, either. And Bert says Eren doesn't remember who he ate to become human again.

I could have it wrong, I guess? But it seems pretty suggestive to me.

Looking at the original there is no suggestion of causation.

On Bert's suggestion that Ymir ate their companion Reiner says yes:

だが…だからこそユミルの立場は明白だ
せっかく人間に戻れたんだ上手く立ち回って自分だけは生きたいとおもっただろう
クリスタと出会うまでは

Her eating what's-his-name leads to her standpoint being clear not her returning to being human. He continues that she wanted to live for her own but then met Crista.

Bert's question to Ymir:
誰を食ったか覚えているか

Which I'd translate as "Do you remember eating someone?" rather than "Do you remember who you ate?"

genericnick fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 11, 2013

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Mary Annette posted:

I disagree. If it was "誰 を食ったか覚えてるか" it'd be a different story, but as worded, it reads to me as a question of who she ate, rather than whether she ate anyone.

Yeah, your absolutely right, sorry. Confirmation bias at work. Still nothing here indicates that eating someone leads to regaining of humanity.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 11, 2013

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Drythe posted:

They said the titan bodies burn away or something along those lines, which would then leave a human body afterwards. Seeing how no one has ever brought up seeing a human body lying there after the kill I think it's safe to assume there was no one in them.

We don't know if shifters leave bodies though.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

redneck sushi posted:

It just that I'm also in my early 30's and I'm not easily amused by people half my age. It must feel like being forced to sit at the kids' table.

In our society 30 and 15 year olds have totally different experiences. That's not true in the scouting legion.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

We know humans are being turned into Titans and we know Titans are used to build Walls. So it's a reasonable assumption that humans are being kept around behind the walls to serve as building materials. If some day the monkey will walk in, turn everyone into a Titan and then march them to his secret project in the monkey cave that explains both why the world behind the Wall can't last and why Bert and Ernie were suddenly in a hurry. Also, given what we learnt in the latest chapter it seems likely that they belong to another faction. Monkey can control Titans just fine. What would he need Eren for?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

HenryEx posted:

No, it's not! Hange is an exceedingly rare German name, if at all. Also, it would sound like "hung-eh" spelled out loud, which is... Not at all what the SnK character's name is supposed to sound like.

Try "Hantsch"

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Your theory is certainly not the most implausible I have read even though I disagree. For one "You ate her halve sister we've seen two times" is not really all that good of a punchline. Also supposing the person in Eren's dream right at the start is the memory girl, we have her basically saying goodbye to both of them right before the wall falls. Doesn't seem likely that she would then come back right away. Finally it doesn't explain where Eren's father left to or what his involvement in the whole business was. My money is still on parental cannibalism.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

We still have no real clue as to what the cause of all the events around the fall of the wall was. We have Grisha leaving his family and Historia's sister saying her goodbyes and erasing memories. The Wall attack itself and the Reis family doing something in the chapel. Anything else I missed?
Now, the new thing here is the chapel, which can tie together the first two.

Looking back at Eren's father leaving: He talked about human curiosity and promised to show him his secret room after he came back. That does sound more like a change in policy than a suicide mission. Similarly memory girl leaves for something momentous, but doesn't seem to expect to die.
So my baseless speculation is that everything was about the royal succession. And something went wrong.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

That really is the burning question out of this, why would Grisha give up the coordinate? If it really is mind control you would think he could influence enough soldiers on his side to take over a district or something. There must be a reason he gave the coordinate to Eren.

Or it was just normal suicide? Maybe he has some responsibility for his wife's death and maybe the outcome when he went to central wasn't actually what he had in mind.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Die Jäger is plural so that's correct.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Doesn't seem likely. If there were any other shifters in the family then we'd probably seen them in the flash back.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Rather where is this "raw". Because usually these raws turn out to be Chinese translations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm kind of wondering why they're bothering to break out the 3DMG at all. Reiss is basically a clumsy, slowly-moving oven who's setting fire to everything he touches. The sensible option seems to be to have Eren armour up and charge in while everyone else tucks into stuffed potatoes on the parapet.

Except that that is the most desperate thing they could do, because if Eren gets eaten everyone gets mindraped.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Eh, doesn't look like it can put up a very good fight if you get past the flames. Seems an easy target, despite the risk.

This you'd need to verify because if he can everything is over.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Somebody just link to a raw before we spend another two pages debating hypothetical translations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

What I find most notable about this chapter is that it reduces a lot of uncertainty. All shifters outside the wall belong to the same faction with the possible exception of Ymir. Probably Grisha too. So was the breaking of the Wall just intended as a distraction for Grisha to get the Coordinate? And then he didn't hand it over because they killed his wife?
Seems to fit, but there is probably more.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Reiner straight up says their objective was to kill all the humans in the walls, but Eren having the coordinate changed priorities.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ChYYcml42ao/URvyQROcxOI/AAAAAAAAGik/TCB7ut1Lgbc/013.jpg?imgmax=10000

I know, but they are not the most disciplined group. They decide on their next plans by Titan wrestle. What I'm saying is that the three might just have been dicks. Or young and stupid if you prefer. Diversion? Were going to wipe them out! When Reiner has his freakout he says something like how he didn't know that there were such guys behind the Wall, more like it was a personal decision.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I'm starting to think there are less factions than initially thought. I now tend to think that the Shifters outside the Wall come mostly from random Titans who ate the right Survey Corps guy. That's why it was forbidden to leave the wall. Don't want them to gain sentience. Also the Titans outside might mostly be there out of their own free will. Points in favour: Ymir's sacrifice so that many people could be happy and Jäger's anxiety that they were fighting [who? They and another city?]. Reiner's bunch are a younger generation who don't remember the terrible thing that supposedly justifies all this.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Nah I think that is an obvious setup for Titan Levi
Your weapons are exhausted, eh?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Could be interesting. Levi could be the last boss if he eats monkey and gets baron harkonened

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Yeah sorry, but I think Dune spoilers are OK in most contexts.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

For once I read the raws because I feel I was going to get spoiled, and holy gently caress!

Are there raws? Or again just the chinese version?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I remember the anime pacing being worse though. Did they spend two whole episodes threatened by cannons?
And at least some of the original content was pretty stupid like the collect the corpses episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Sub Harrison posted:

Hanji mentioned the rubble implied they all burst from their homes so it seems he can transform Eldians just by being near them.

Nah, I'm thinking poison gas.