Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Medieval-level technology has no chance against colossal-sized titans; it's extremely difficult to pierce their skin, and their weakpoint is 40 meters high.

For the WW1-2 level technology of the world at large, who have artillery pieces capable of hitting and piercing the napes, it'd still be devastating if a few hundred thousand suddenly started roaming and heading towards the highest concentrations of people (population centers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Correct.

While the willingness to use Eldians as cannon fodder mindless titans is accurate, you bet your rear end they'd turn loyal Marleyans into shifters if they could, instead of having to rely on Eldians.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I'd like to point out that the attributes of the 'Jaw' titan appear to be:

- Small size
- Claws
- A strong/sharp bite

While larger than Ymir, Galliard is very much on the smaller side of the titan shifters, and the particular appearance of his armored claws and mouth/face could be the result of intaking 'Armored' formula and being either well trained or very compatible with it. We know this is possible because that's what Eren did, and with training he developed the ability to create armored fists to fight Reiner. Likewise, we have another example of size/shape variability between shifters of the same power, if you compare Grisha to Eren or the Owl.

Annie and Zeke likely got their hardening ability from ingesting 'Armor', too, if we follow this logic.

So while Ymir might've been a far less impressive Jaw, we shouldn't be assuming it was Isayama failing to plan ahead, and also not take the bloodline theory as some kind of absolute, either. As far as we can tell, as long as you're (part) Eldian you're eligible to be a shifter, and that's probably a binary rather than some kind of LotR-like 'diluted blood of numenor' deal.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

comedyblissoption posted:

I'm too lazy to do the math and re-read. Did the Marleyans have the titular attack titan at the time of Reinhardt's childhood flashback or was it missing then?

By all indications, Marley never managed to seize the Attack Titan during whatever insurrection that led to the formation of their modern state, as no mention is ever made of them losing it at any point. Now, as to whether they thought it had fled to Paradis with King Fritz or they knew it was still loose in the mainland, we don't know.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Well, the end game is eating Zeke to gain control of the Coordinate.

Or the other way around.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Mountaineer posted:

Seems plausible. Makes me wonder why Marley bothers dumping criminal Eldians on Paradis when they could be weaponizing them instead.

Owl explained it was done on purpose to terrorize the Walldians, as having a sizable population of wild titans outside their walls would further confine the people inside them. He also admits it actually got out of hand, and now it was an obstacle towards exploiting the island's natural resources and infiltrating the Walls. Politicians have no foresight :shrug:

But as previously mentioned, this was before Zeke C&C abilities were discovered.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

theCalamity posted:

In chapter 89, Eren Kruger mentions Mikasa and Armin but doesn't seem to know where the memories are coming from. Either Eren Jaeger is misremembering that part or the memories can go back in time. If the latter is the case, then possibly the reason that the royal family members with the Founding titan have the memories of the past and the future. Kruger did say that these "paths of light" carry memories and they all pass through the Founding titan. The memories are possibly divorced from time.

Reminder that the series opens with a prophetic dream.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

comedyblissoption posted:

Was Frieda regularly visiting Eren based on seeing Eren's future memories?

Who? What?

She regularly met with Historia, not Eren.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

He was crying from a dream where an older Mikasa was telling him good bye (changed in the anime to various things but mostly including bloodshed and everyone getting eaten by titans including his mother).

Also Mikasa was around and she's immune to the Founder Titan's mindwipe powers.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

Also it's very likely to be propoganda because the whole bloodline thing irl a) has been used to justify the oppression of minority groups since forever and b) is complete bullshit.

Except titans are literally magic and the royal lineage has been shown to interact in special ways with titan powers.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It must've lingered for a few minutes.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Manatee Cannon posted:

someone in the anime thread just asked if the guy on the beast titan's shoulder was eren's dad so :shrug:

Broken clocks are right twice a day.

I saw a guy in a different thread excitedly coming up to that conclusion out of nonsense logic and forgetting what Grisha actually looks like.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

mabels big day posted:

How do they know when a baby has a titan power.

They probably wouldn't. As shown by Eren, whoever inherits a titan power needs to either intentionally or accidentally trigger it before even some of the obvious secondary abilities (fast healing) manifest.

Now, potentially it's something that could be picked out through medical tests even if dormant, and Marley (who have the technology to pick out Eldians from normal humans) conceivably screens their entire Eldian population at a young age for this and other reasons, but if the inheritor popped up on Paradis then it's effectively beyond the reach of either faction for the next several years.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Be a dick and just say it's for the same reason Grisha's basement is there.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Saagonsa posted:

They would have to condense the uprising arc a lot if they're actually going up to the end of volume 22 like the trailer teased.

However I reread it recently, and I still really like that arc, despite how different from everything else it is.

Eh, 40 chapters can fit just fine in 25 episodes.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Saagonsa posted:

Considering that they only fit 34 chapters in 25 episodes, and 16 in 12, they'd have to condense stuff or just pick up the pacing in general to get to the end.

S1 had 3 minutes of recap every episode, so that's two-three less episodes it'd have lasted otherwise. S2 was paced slowly and was even padded with content from ahead in the manga to stretch it for the 12 ep run.

And then we account that the next arc has a lot of action which flies by faster in animation, and that's why I say it should fit just fine.

In It For The Tank posted:

That is to say, the time spent on Levi squad felt wasted because it didn't impact the conclusion of the arc. They could have just hung out in the woods and nothing would have changed.

Let's not forget they dealt with the secret police, which would have complicated things greatly if left to roam free.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 20, 2017

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Beefstew posted:

Mikasa knows that she's crazy and has an unhealthy death wish, she just doesn't let it stop her. Eren, however, is completely oblivious to how nuts he is.

Denied, Eren gets huge character growth in the aftermath of the Insurrection arc. After that he's shown much more tempered and melancholic, and the only time you see him channel his rage again is in the rematch with Reiner - and even then he's fighting technically and as part of a larger plan.

Then we get the basement reveal, and he's shown anxious over having a lot of food for thought, but the little rage ball that could just doesn't seem to be there anymore.

Maybe he'll make a return soon, but the fact that they trusted him with an infiltration mission can only speak of the brass' confidence in his ability to act rationally.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I just realized that Grisha was making serum out of his own spinal fluid.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Pensive posted:

Grisha injected Eren after he killed the Reiss fammily. He could have taken have taken it from them.

Oh, right, I suppose that's possible too.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Saagonsa posted:

Hell, do we know if Marley allowed any of the shifters to die a "regular" death? It sounds like they're super cautious of sending them out into battle when there's any danger at all.

That's also optics. You don't send your powerful weapons that you parade around as invincible into situations where they might actually get wrecked.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

So, first panel Colossal > Mule > New > Beast.

Second panel (from top to bottom) Armored > New > Mule > Beast > Female

I always figured it was something like that but I didn't realize New was a specific titan.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It's yet another flashback of Ymir eating Marcel.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

No, they just had the walldian equivalent of DaVinci cook those up.

It's a black box because they kept technology suppressed, so while the 3DMG was allowed, the monarchy didn't want it or its principles developed further by the public.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

ATP_Power posted:

Didn't Eren only gain the ability to harden after he consumed the vial of armored titan serum in the Fritz hidden chapel?

Yes, and along with Rod Reiss' assertion that he'd give Historia a titan form that would be suited for combat, seems to indicate that whatever type of mindless titan they were before becoming shifters, and the mix of serum/titans they consume afterwards, affects a shifter's range of abilities - subject to the limits of their primary type.

So for example, the Female Titan is a versatile type that has no inherent abilities (besides perhaps summoning titans), but consuming Armor-type gives it the power to selectively harden body parts, while the Armored Titan is exceptionally good at full-body hardening but displays no other special qualities, and the Mule Titan has exceptional endurance but is unable to even harden.

I'm curious to see whether Eren develops or has developed new abilities as a result of training or megamanning other types, or if what we've seen so far is as good as he gets in his titan form.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Considering that Eldians are treated as bioweapons, alternating between huge loving man-eating monsters and fanatically loyal shock troops, I can buy Zeke's assertion that they're despised by the entire rest of the world.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

No, you don't get it.

Attack on Titan is typical Japanese jingoism because

Actually, what I'd like to add is how comprehensive Isayama is in portraying characters as believing they're in the right. Even when they - no, especially when they're doing horrible poo poo, they keep themselves going forward with the conviction that the path they're taking is the correct one or that they truly have no other choice.

And just as Reiner seems to have been left a hollowed shell after losing his heartfelt convictions, Eren lost part of himself after the events with Rod Reiss and then learning the truth about his father. I think it was a very telling moment when Historia asks if he'll kill Reiner and Berthold if he meets them again, and the only response he can give is a distant 'I have to.' Everyone in the cast is left with their burdens to bear after the insurrection and shinganshina arcs, but it's Eren and Reiner that came out of it as truly changed men.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

RC Cola posted:

When does the manga start picking up? I'm maybe 15 chapters in and can't get into it

The prologue ends chapter 90.

Serious answer: the Survey Corps come into the scene ch 17 or 18 I think, and with them the actual movers and shakers of the story, and the introduction of the political drama and intrigue that is as much a crux of the series as the mystery of the titans and the origin of Eren's power.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Saagonsa posted:

I thought the Annie one was pretty cool, but I didn't really like the Mikasa one.

:same:

Annie's gets you some nice insights into the kind of person she is past her stone cold mask, but Mikasa's story is just pointless.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Except the plan wasn't to have the titans eventually kill the Walldians, it was just a cruel punishment for Eldian dissidents and to keep the island uninhabitable beyond the walls.

Then a hundred years later "oops" when they realized it'd be nice to exploit its resources.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The jingoism is only there if you come looking for it and don't actually see what's past it.

In regards to the state of Paradis after the coup, the military junta established with Historia as a puppet monarch is immediately recognized in-universe as less than ideal, but it's baby steps. It seems fairly realistic in how the revolt against the super oppressive police state came not from the populous but from within the military, opposing factions dethroning oligarchs who were far more interested in maintaining their status than the welfare of the nation (which was facing the threat of outright annihilation). While it's true they merely shifted from one authoritarian government to another, the new one is unequivocally freer and hopeful for the future of the people - and the characters themselves make this distinction, that the only true way they can be better than the monarchy they replaced, is by looking after the citizens and giving them more freedom. Letting them know the truth and come to their own conclusions.

It's interesting how it treats nationalism, too. We're shown at first how BURNING FIGHTING SPIRIT is the opposite of civilian cowardice and the way to defeat the titans, then after spending a long time building that up, the titans show up and we see what a farce that is because soldiers keep dying horrible, often pathetic deaths.

But then, in the end, fostering this farce is the only thing that can get the soldiers to throw down their lives when it's necessary.

I think Isayama does an overall good job at conveying one of the central themes of the series: that things often aren't "good" or "evil", they merely are what they are, and that the world can be ugly, cruel, and beautiful all at the same time. The Scout's charge on the Beast Titan encapsulates this theme, and I'm looking forward to Wit Studio giving it the animation treatment a year from now.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Schwarzwald posted:

I suppose AoT could stand to be more blatant about it message.

Didn't help Verhooven.

AoT is already blatant enough anyway. You even get an "are we the baddies?" moment when the protagonists start using enhanced interrogation on people they know, for a fact, are monsters who regularly commit torture and murder of innocents.

And then one of them loving breaks down and starts crying, confessing from the very bottom of his heart how he has been doing all this poo poo out of sheer loyalty for his nation, while loathing himself every second of it.

Contrasting the scene later where Zackly is torturing that dickass noble, because while some people have noble intentions in their hearts for the ruthless decisions they make, there are also people who are just hosed up.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

EagerSleeper posted:

I don't really know that much about the technical definition of fascism, but around the point in the story where they were trying to portray the gangster son of that one rear end in a top hat merchant whose cart was considered more valuable than people as a rightful leader to the people was where things got weird for me. The story was doing its hardest to u-turn the fact that the rear end in a top hat merchant was totally going to let people die.

Story: "No, you see this person who was totally only interested in his own business over human lives? He's actually a pillar of the community! You can't get rid of pillar of the community like that! How could you? Let's just go ahead and complete his son's aristocratic claim to power, because I don't know, uh information? Idk I totally would have done this anyway tbh."

Me: :wtc:

lol, gangster son?

The point of Reeves is that he wasn't some cartoon villain; during the battle of Trost he loving lost his poo poo, like everyone else. Because Titans. Because the last time a breach happened, they lost half of humanity's territory and millions died.

Then, when he returned to Trost after it was secured, you can infer that with a cooler head he both deeply regretted his actions during the evacuation and was mortified at the devastation, because what he did was sink his assets into rebuilding and providing jobs for the people who returned to the district. And this involved shady dealings with the Garrison/MP, because in the corrupt and oppressive Police State that is Paradis, that's just how things work.

Whether you personally consider his actions forgivable is your prerogative, but they make sense. And it makes sense that he'd become a pillar to his community, because people are like that. He was there, walking the streets, giving people jobs and putting food in people's mouths in their hour of need - whatever else he did, he was now a loving saint for them. People easily justify this poo poo in their heads. It's why the were about to jump on Erwin's throat when he pointed out what he did during the evacuation.

As for his son, well, what else? His dad died, so he gets the company now, because that's how property works. And this is a society under aristocratic rule, so it makes even more sense for them. And what does the son do? He promises that he will follow in his father's footsteps and do his best for the community, and will not tolerate the oppressive government that took his father's life the moment he stopped playing nice with them. So what do the people of Trost tell him? "We're with you."

This poo poo is not even complicated, just a nudge more complex than black and white.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Shifters can choose to halt or speed up their regeneration, as demonstrated by Reiner.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Turin Turambar posted:

It didn't make a sense to me having Reiner trying suicide now. I mean, it would make sense for him after returning from Paradis Island, but let's remember it has passed four years. It seems a scene put because we are having his flashback of guilt now.
When Reiner first got back from Paradis he still had his loyalty and zeal to sustain him, but after 4 years that's bled away, leaving him only a shell filled with his regrets. Now that they just got back from an extended military campaign, he's finally having some time to decompress and with it, contemplate his life choices. Possibly not the first time he's been contemplating this hard, either.

Add to that, now that the war is over he knows Marley will make another attempt on Paradis...

I'd say it's perfectly fitting.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Annie is never coming back. She'll either stay in that crystal for the rest of the story or her powers were already transferred to another.

Also, Mikasa can't become a titan.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It's shown he deeply regrets his actions.

And Armin, through Bert's memories, will probably be able to understand what the situation was for the Marley infiltrators.

But if given the chance, the Walldians will absolutely execute him. They can't even just let him 'disappear' if he assists them, because they will want to secure the Armored Titan.

Reiner is utterly hosed. Even self-sacrifice would fall short of redemption.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Correct, confirmed by Isayama that the Ackermans can't turn into titans.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

RatHat posted:

I don't think the Eldians are going to like this "final solution".

Maybe it's going to be something nice like they'll repatriate all Eldians to Paradis and establish friendly relations :shobon:

And then the Walldians cock it all up.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It could very well be that every single ship was boarded, captured and reverse-engineered/repurposed by the eldians for their own use, no titans involved :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Delayed to July 2018.

Still, less than a year away! I want me some of that animated Ackerman action.