Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

The second half of the series is generally much, much better at animation

On the other hand the 3DMG use in the Forest of Giant Trees was terrible and there was one particular bit I remember where several characters are riding horses over a bridge facing the camera and the bridge looks like it was done in MS Paint.

E: They either shouldn't have shown the wall titan at all and just retconed it in discreetly if a second season got made or otherwise they should have dealt with it differently, maybe even just lingering on it for a few seconds would be enough.
Showing it for half a second was the worst way they could have done it.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Nelson Mandingo posted:

So many god drat layers and layers of foreshadowing, callbacks, call forwards. Mr. Isayama is really good at this.

Just noticed this. Look at Berthold. Hidden in plain sight. http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c041/24.html

At the risk of looking like a moron what do you mean "hidden"? He's right there, what am I missing?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TheKingofSprings posted:

He's about to bite his hand. :ssh:

Yep, I look like a moron now. V:shobon:V

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Phobophilia posted:

Not good enough. Look how tiny she is hanging onto Reiner's back! Reiner could pull her off at any time and just bodyslam her into the ground. And she got mobbed by a dozen regular titan, even Eren would have slaughtered the lot.

That's debatable, the only time we saw him take on multiple titans at once he got his rear end handed over to him.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Phobophilia posted:

Grisha had alot of contacts in the various institutions that made up the walled society. He was friends, or at least acquaintances with the former recon corps commander/drill sergeant. So his disappearance is extremely suspicious, either he is being held very closely by the military police or the wall cult.

Then again, if Grisha was held by those guys, and if he really wanted to see his son, then the recon corps would probably never have the authority to take Eren. So scratch that tught.
[SPECULATION]
Grisha, like Ymir, both stole some apparently injectable nanotech MacGuffin that gives whoever gets it Titan power. Ymir was training to get her approved titan form but was denied for some reason. She decided to just gently caress it and get it anyway, lost control and ended up a mindless titan for a long time. The only known process of removing the power known so far is lethal to the host so she's hoping that if she makes herself useful they'll let her live.

Grisha was somehow directly involved with the Titan Wranglers, he deliberately (or not) stole the titan Coordinator batch and the Titan Wranglers freaked out and ordered it be retrieved at whatever expense even if it meant killing a fuckload of people inside the walls.

They breached Maria because there was really no other way to infiltrate unnoticed and spent the next 5 years trying to ferret out if Grisha had already injected someone with the stuff or if they successfully prevented him from doing so when they unleashed hell on wall Maria. After spending 5 years getting nowhere they breached Trost to stir the pot and their plan worked, Eren revealed himself. Having got what they wanted there was no point in the Armored titan breaching Rose itself.

The Titan Wranglers are descendants of the original scientists involved in whatever project went wrong 100 years ago that got everyone killed. They walled off some area so they wouldn't have to be in their titan form all the time and have been working on improving the tech since then to try to deal with the titans until they find a way to reverse the process in a non lethal way for the human host.
When the Coordinator batch got stolen they figured it would be worth sacrificing a lot of people if that meant preventing some idiot from accidentally bringing all the wall titans back to life or using titans as a weapon against them.
The Coordinator batch was either meant as a tool to heard titans until they could cure them or to use as a weapon against Monkey Trouble, assuming he's not just a "kill all humans" faction leader inside their organization.

Monkey Trouble is one of the original scientists involved in the project, he has survived all this time by permanently staying in his titan form. Odds are that he deliberately released the titanification agent in the general population because of :misanthropic_reasons:.
If he's not a nutty faction leader inside the Wranglers he's been roaming around the world, basking in the glory of what he's done so he hadn't really checked out on the surviving humans before in a long time, maybe he even ignored they existed. He somehow got wind that Coordinator batch got stolen and that's what brought him here now.

The Reiss family historical patriarch was one of the original scientists too but instead of joining the others and saying "poo poo is hosed, let's keep ourselves alive and gently caress everyone else" he used his knowledge in an ethically dubious way to sacrifice hundreds of thousands of people into becoming wall giants in order to save a million or so normal people. The government covered it all up because jesus loving christ society would collapse the next day if they ever found out any of this poo poo. The king no one ever sees is Reiss the 1st, either he's a long dead desiccated mummy or he's kept alive underground in titan form.

Oh and the forest of giant titan trees was probably part of those experiments done ages ago. :v:
[/SPECULATION]

Anyway, one thing that has been annoying me is how when Eren is given the injection and the basement key neither him nor Mikasa seem to make much of the fact that :siren: the basement key is now around his neck :siren:.
I mean "oh, hey, my basement key is around my neck, how peculiar. Wow, was a really vivid dream." Really? :psyduck:

I admit I've only read the manga from chapter 31 onward because I was told the anime was accurate to that point. Was this ever addressed? Does anyone ever question how the hell he got the key?

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Oct 6, 2013

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pensive posted:

I'm pretty sure that it's acknowledged that the trio met up with his father some time after the attack and before he disappeared. During the scene in the manga I think that Eren says something like "what are you doing dad, ever since mom died, you've been acting really weird".

It's the same in the anime but right after that scene he wakes up, says "I think I saw my father", Mikasa "nah I was right here, it was just a dream". He looks down to his neck, notices the key and just tucks it under his shirt. Neither of them mention it at all, neither acknowledge it couldn't have been just a dream because there was a physical key.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Thoren posted:

Is the chapter up anywhere or are we discussing chinese raws? :(

Rejoice!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Am I the only one that hopes there are no more human-titans, at least on the side of the good guys? What attracted me the most in the beginning was seeing tiny humans fighting against a seemingly invincible juggernaut. I'm not a fan of giant vs giant fights, not least of all because in any numbers they'd make the human element largely irrelevant to the fight. In the anime this was even more evident in the last episode when apart from Mikasa cutting out Annie's fingers the rest of the crew just stood on top of a building and watched the fight in awe.

With only Eren he could be made a part of the team and his powers used to provide support, kind of like armor and infantry working together but if you add any more titans to the human side this stops being a humans vs titans series and becomes a titan vs titan series, the humans would become irrelevant.

I loathed Evangelion, granted I saw it in my 30s and all the angst was a huge turnoff. But even worse than the permanent barrage of :no_fuck_YOU_dad: was the fact that I just didn't feel any investment for the humans, they were passive elements who I couldn't be bothered to care for one iota. I hope AoT doesn't turn into Meatgelion.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I took the title of the first episode to mean that the action is literally taking place 2000 years from now?! I mean, tech is not an issue, after the roman empire fell it took us almost 1000 years to get back to where we were before. If some cataclysmic event took place ~850 years before that caused a civilizational collapse and a new calendar it could be that experimenting on "ancient tech" was what caused the entire titan debacle 100 years ago.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

BdaaN posted:

It's pretty clear his only motives are more than tian killing or else he wouldn't of put his faith into Levi Squad and would of just gone berserk. As for the making GBS threads on Mikasa shes just really overprotective and it bothers him because he wants to be the one to protect, not the protected. Theres a lot of examples i could give you but i don't want to spoil it for people who haven't read the manga.

Yeah, no. Eren is an abusive little poo poo and has been for a long time and Mikasa is text book co-dependent with a side of bunny boiler on top. I wish I had time to re-read everything and count the times he angrily dismisses her or literally pushes her around, he flips out on her or Armin at seemingly the slightest poo poo.

I mean jesus gently caress:

even when they are seemingly about to die and she's opening up to him, telling him how much he has meant to her his reaction is once again to physically push her aside and dismiss her feelings.

He's damaged goods and I don't think it can all be excused away with "oh he saw his mom get eaten". I don't expect a 15 year old to be a paragon of good sense but he goes way above "was a little cranky that day".

He's not a very likable protagonist at all, not that I think he needs to be to make for a good story.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 11, 2013

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

yellowyams posted:

He wasn't pushing her aside that swishy movement was meant to indicate he stood up it even had the ザ sound effect, oh my god. Btw, he stood up to face the titan so maybe they both wouldn't loving die. He was comforting her by reiterating what he told her when they first met through his actions. Come on...

Oh my god you're right, how could I have missed the ザ sound effect?! Now I'll have to comb all the times he pushes her for the ザ sound effect.

TheKingofSprings posted:

That page you just linked is Eren straight up telling Mikasa he is going to protect her and for once he delivers on it.
I'm not contesting this at all but that doesn't invalidate that throughout the series he has dealt with her in a way that at best can be described as "tough love". Dude has serious anger management issues and he (unintentionally?) abuses those closest to him several times.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 11, 2013

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Kild posted:

Show some examples because the one you linked you woefully misinterpreted.

What, examples of Eren pushing/talking down to Mikasa/Armin when he gets his panties in a bunch? You realize there is no way I can just re-read 50 chapters at the drop of a hat, right?

e: On the top of my mind, when they are escaping by boat and he's getting all riled up Armin gets up to comfort him and gets pushed back in a visually similar* way. Later when they are having the food discussion Eren really starts demeaning Armin and gets punched in the face by Mikasa. He also talked to her like poo poo if I'm not mistaken when they are getting ready to move into Trost.
There were plenty of other instances, it just became much more noticeable the second time I saw the anime and has been increasingly bothering me.

I get it, dude is angry. Mother in a titan belly, I know - it's serious. I just wish that after 5 years he stopped taking it out on those around him.

* I've only read the manga from the Annie confrontation onward. Eren's movement when he pushes Mikasa in chapter 50 looked like his movement when he pushes Armin back in episode 2 of the anime.
Dude likes pushing people around when he gets mad, which in his case is all the time.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 11, 2013

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

BdaaN posted:

I don't remember him ever talking or pushing Armin.

quote:

He occasionally gets annoyed by Mikasa because she makes it seem like shes looking down on him but he just doesn't know how she feels about him.
"He doesn't know she loves him" his a pretty poor excuse to treat people like poo poo whenever he gets mad.

quote:

An example being when she basically tells him he's not fit to be a solider and should give up his dream.
And she was totally right, he wasn't/isn't fit to be a soldier until he deals with his anger issues. How many people has his impulsiveness got killed by now?

quote:

I'm guessing their relationship will be different after chapter 50 assuming he connected the dots.
I hope so but I'm not entirely certain it will make any difference, least of all a positive one.

e:

BdaaN posted:

That was a little uncalled for but mikasa was also unintentionally being kind of an rear end. Also tentions where high since it was their first battle and the second wall had just been breached, so that may have caused him to over react a bit.
"He loves me, he just hurts me sometimes when he gets mad" is not a very good argument for why he isn't an abusive little poo poo.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 11, 2013

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

BdaaN posted:

I'm not sure if this is a troll or not..

"I don't remember him pushing Armin"
*picture of him pushing Armin*
"I'm not sure if this is a troll or not."

What?

yellowyams posted:

The scene in episode 2 was anime only but even still I think it's important to take into account that it happened directly after the wall fell and Hannes told him he couldn't do anything because he was too weak. All the stuff he said to Armin was him projecting about his frustration with his own weakness, not that it wasn't still a lovely thing to do. You don't have to like it but the characters aren't going to have the same detachment to the situation as you, and Eren reacted as emotionally as someone who had just lost everything within the last few days would. To be fair, I think Eren in the anime was pretty drat unlikable as well but this thread is for the comic so your post kind of confused me, if you really just came in where the anime left off it's understandable though.
My problem is precisely that it didn't just happen that day. Years later he's still doing it.
I'll read chapters 1 to 33 as soon as I get the chance. Only reason I didn't was that people kept saying the anime was a faithful adaptation until the Annie confrontation in the tunnel so I assumed his actions were the same in both. Sorry if that wasn't the case.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Oct 11, 2013

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

BdaaN posted:

It's a really poor example. You're severely over exaggerating his aggressiveness towards Mikasa and Armin. Yes i agree he's a hot head but he's not nearly as violent as you make him out to be.

I never said he got home drunk and belted them, I said he pushes people around and belittles them when he gets angry which is a lot of the time.
I'll drop this derail until I have time to re-read the entire manga and rewatch the anime so I can source my argument with more examples.

e: I still love the series, it's the first manga I have read and the first anime I really liked, I just don't like Eren all that much because I think he's an rear end in a top hat.
Mikasa lost her family twice and even though she has some serious issues at least she's not an rear end in a top hat to those around her.

e2: At one point Mikasa, after being told Eren was dead, regrets having gotten the recruits all riled up and leading them to their deaths without any concern for their lives. When has Eren ever shown such introspection?

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 11, 2013

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

yellowyams posted:

I don't know what your standards for "introspective" are but he does reflect when he's made a bad decision.

Yeah, only problem being that it wasn't a bad decision at the time. Disobeying a direct order from his commanding officers and the requests of his team members, loving up the entire plan just because he felt like it, that would have been a terrible decision.
He'd probably get into some serious poo poo even if it had succeeded because it would be evidence that he was unwilling to follow orders, exactly what they demanded in exchange for letting him live.

Hindsight is 20/20 but at that point he made the right call. Shame the plan didn't work out but that wasn't his fault, if every soldier started disobeying orders and following their gut feelings things would go to poo poo pretty quick.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

BdaaN posted:

He wasn't forbidden from transforming. Levi told him to do it if he thinks it's the right decision. They asked him to believe in them and they died for it.

Levi didn't have the authority to call that shot. In fact the higher ups were getting ready to gently caress Eren after the expedition even though he did follow orders.

The plan never called for him to take an active role in the capture just to serve as bait. He had a damocles sword over his head and was told to prove he could be controlled and part of the team, they spent 2 episodes drilling this point home, that he must become part of the team.
"Oh yeah he disobeyed us and hosed our plan to lure the female titan into a trap" would go over like a lead balloon.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 11, 2013

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

BdaaN posted:

This was after the plan had failed and everything went to poo poo, he could of transformed then but they still convinced him to believe in them.
No, Levi told him he could transform "if he wanted to" before they got to the trap in the woods. After the plan went to poo poo there were no officers around at all so they were still operating on the orders of "protect Eren at all costs, he's our most valuable asset".
Transforming then would be even dumber than before. In fact he should have kept fleeing even after his team was dead. They gave their lives to get him time to get away but instead he let his temper get the best of him again and if it wasn't for Mikasa and Levi saving his rear end he would have been hosed.

quote:

He was being called to the capitol again because the whole point of the expedition was to see if he was a valuable asset to humanity, and the expedition failed miserably.
Not because of him. What do you think his fate would be if he hosed the plan to lure her into the trap?

quote:

However erwin suspected the titan was Annie thanks to Armins information and devised a plan that was kept secret from everyone but a few.
That was after. Armin wasn't in on the plan to capture her in the woods.

quote:

I really think you should re-read because you seem to only remeber bits and pieces of events.
:ironicat:

:siren: disclaimer: at least this was the order of events in the anime :siren:

Kild posted:

You do realize that was only a guise to draw out the female titan? The whole point of the expedition was the draw out any enemies lurking from within the military by using Eren as bait. It's even commented that it was a really weird they were leaving so early with all those new recruits.
The plan was to draw her into the woods. If the plan was "as soon as you see a weird titan you transform and we'll all gang up on her" then that would be what they told him to do. Instead they told him to keep his cool and trust that the higher ups knew what they were doing, which he did and, were it not for her milkshake bringing all the boys to the yard it would have succeeded.

How is "follow orders" the wrong decision in the military? I mean, hindsight is 20/20 but that's it.
gently caress, I liked that he followed orders, it was a step on him controlling himself and becoming a valuable player for team humanity.
"I should do what I want all the time instead of becoming part of a larger effort" seems like a really terrible lesson.

e:

But yeah, he should have totally ignored all the previous chapters they spend drilling that he must obey orders if he wanted to stay alive and just go "gently caress it, I know best :unsmigghh:".

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 11, 2013

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I get what you're saying but I think that this instance is not really open to interpretation.

Levi's words were literally "i know you are an uncontrollable monster and not just because of your power. Now, you can choose to believe in me, believe in your team and believe in the whole scouting legion or you can do as you please and transform already".

I mean, am I really the only one that thinks this wasn't carte blanche to disobey orders and transform at all? And yeah, he was crying afterwards because he regretted his decision, despite Levi telling him that that was precisely the only thing he shouldn't do. Seems like a terrible lesson/moral, instead of learning to become a team player what he learns is to gently caress what everyone else thinks or plans and go with his guts. That's a recipe for disaster right there.

Yeah, Jean calls him out on his bullshit several times (Jean is probably my favorite character because he's the one that grew the most) but Eren seemingly doesn't take much from it. gently caress, he got his team killed on Trost, he should have at least learned something from that. Every time he decides to play it by ear people end up dead but he just digs in deeper.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Kild posted:

The only time he played it by ear was during Trost. After that he followed orders like you've stated and then after that he's been kidnapped. So I guess so?

Not if we're back to "Eran powerful, Eren smash puny titans". But granted, I think this is mostly a fault in the anime, the manga did the fight with Annie much better. In the manga you can see the scouting legion desperately climbing the wall right behind Annie and then the Misaka toss was an awesome touch that felt like he was working in a team. In the anime the regular humans acted independently (the trap) and later were just spectators until Mikasa and Levi :psyduck: come out of nowhere.

From then onward he's been forced into a passive role so not many opportunities to gently caress up. We'll see I guess but I really hope this doesn't become a titan vs titan show. Tiny humans fighting against vastly more powerful enemies is what makes it for me, I want more Armin, Jean, Mikasa and Erwin, not more Eren smash. Ie, more apocalyptic story instead of teenager power fantasy.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 11, 2013

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

This reminded me that this show must be a dream come true to the vore crowd.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
That thing looked like it had been there for ages, it looked like they built around it. How could they move it past the gate anyway?

There is one thing that has been bothering me lately. If titans are less active (or not active at all, not clear) at night wouldn't the expeditions outside the walls be much safer during night time? They could probably make it all the way to wall Maria in one night, rest on top of it during the next day and go to the basement the night after that.

Hell, they could even start working on closing the gap on Maria in night shifts. And why aren't the walls interconnected anyway? If there were a couple of "spokes" connecting each wall defense would be incredibly more effective and even in the worst case scenario there would be no need to abandon entire walls. Not partitioning the interior into smaller sections seems like an incredible oversight.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ArchangeI posted:

Its almost as if the walls weren't even built by humans...
Oh c'mon, really? That's your argument? The walls are meant as defensive structures regardless of who built them.

quote:

Also Hanji notes that the larger classes of titans stay active longer, so it isn't that unimaginable that the 15m classes stay active all night. Its not like the sun goes down and all the titans fall over. Plus riding around forests in the pitch dark at high speed is not exactly safe, either.

They certainly have roads between settlements no? How did they move around? Make a discreet bee line for wall Maria with a dozen elite soldiers and odds are much better that the usual suicidal extravaganzas they do once in a while. The titans don't think, there's no reason there would be a higher concentration of titans around roads than elsewhere and the reduced visibility at night would work both ways.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
:siren: The raw is out :siren:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Well that just makes me more convinced of my earlier speculation that this whole debacle is the result of some experiment gone wrong either accidentally or not. They were probably studying titanification as a weapon or reconstructive therapy for severed limbs or something and someone (likely Monkey Trouble) either hosed up or deliberately released a titanification agent in the population. Later they perfected the system so that the "user" wouldn't be consumed in the process and you get the titan pilots.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Suspicious Lump posted:

Can someone please explain why Ivin wants to put Eren in an "environment that will make him fret"? It feels like he wants him to do something in particular that I'm not cluing in on.

I think they are counting on the stress of seeing his friends in mortal danger to help awaken any other powers he might have. So far his powers only revealed themselves when he's in seriously deep poo poo so they're planning on turning up the heat to 11.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Toadsniff posted:

No it's pretty terrible no matter where you go, it's a bit surprising too since the translation is so bad you'd think someone else would redo it. Also since it's licensed now I don't think we can post any links for you even if there was something better.

Well, gently caress, Crunchyroll's manga page doesn't seem available in my country to begin with. :argh:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Behemoth Banzai

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
OK, so I've just watched the first two episodes of Muv Luv Alternative and it would seem kind of obvious for the military to nuke the gently caress out of those things when they took over Korea and then heavily mine the coastal areas, lay out carpets of cluster ammunition in front of the advancing waves and mop up any survivors. Those things seem vulnerable to artillery fire so I doubt they are any more resistant underneath. Is there any reason given why instead of nuking those things they prefer to waste resources building huge robots, send people in them to the meat grinder until they have to resort to sending scantly clad young girls?

It's kind of grating on me.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
So, gently caress it, just nuke them. It can't get any worse.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

muike posted:

You can't get the nukes close enough so long as the laser class are around. After taking those out with whatever you've got, they use conventional warheads, since nukes aren't really that much more effective compared to standard warheads in major quantities.

Come on, if they can land regular artillery shells they can land nuclear shells. And the mechas seem to be able to cut it as long as they stay close to the ground so I don't see why a handful of nuclear tipped tomahawks would't.

God drat, put a nuke in a truck, place it in their path and detonate when they reach it. Repeat.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ak Gara posted:

Macro Fetish Monthly. :v:

:gonk:

Welcome to the World of Vore :burpcrack:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

threeagainstfour posted:

How did it end? I don't want to play the game but I'm curious if the world ends up beating the BETA.

Could someone answer this? I just had more than my fill of scantly clad girls and high school drama.

e: Considering the absolute lack of discipline in the army and complete disregard for the lives of highly trained soldiers by the higher ups we have no hope in hell.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 29, 2013

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

visceril posted:

Well, crap translation it is then.

Hmm, on that note I was just thinking: remember the mini-story about the miner (can't remember if this is anime screencap-only or not) where the dude is trying to dig under Wall Sina and hits bottom--as in, the place where the bedrock and the wall touch? Wouldn't that imply…

:kamina:

Is that canon though? The walls would turn into lakes the minute some heavy rain fell. Not to mention that if their mines were limited to digging a couple of meters the charade would be long over, there simply wouldn't be enough iron/coal for the industry.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

cafel posted:

they have that mind control powers are what wiped out the outside world from the collective memory of humanity.

Is this clearly stated? I haven't reread the chapter but I'm remembering it as a more generic "suppressed the memory" which I interpret in a 1984-esque "memory-hole / who controls the past controls the future" way rather than straight mind control.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Kild posted:

Christa's sister/teacher person would wipe her memory after every visit. Erwin's dad also suspected that they did something like that and Erwin said that they most likely did after learning of Eren's new power.

Re-read it, you're right. He doesn't specifically mention mind control but he does state that memory holing the documentation would still leave oral history untouched.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow0 posted:

Who voted Eren? I guess it's cool that he's like a male damsel in distress, which is pretty progressive and interesting, but there are so many cooler characters. Though it is a popularity contest, not a "That was a neat characterization idea" contest or anything. Though I question a few of the other top people as well. Ymir deserves more points.

I like Jean and late-Armin best but apparently not many people agree. :(

Jean is an all round decent guy with human self-doubt and a concern for others and Armin went from an intelligent whinny kid into a increasingly disturbing intelligent kid. I loath Eren and Levi comes off as full of himself.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Reiner is also interesting to me because he's a mass murderer, but deep down he really is a genuinely good and just person.

I'm holding my final judgement on Reiner until we know what caused (forced?) them to do what they did. It's going to take one hell of a good motive to "excuse" killing a quarter of a million people, even if it's tearing him up now.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Soulcleaver posted:

drat, Isayama's art was absolute chicken scratch in the early chapters.

thalidomide.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty much as everyone suspected by now "when a titan eats a human who can become a titan it gains their powers". But in this case why didn't that titan that ate Eren gain his powers?