Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!

JD posted:

so she clearly had a sleeping problem or something, I wonder if that has to do with her being part titan? Will Eren be affected eventually?

I think she was tired from transforming repeatedly and the fight, just like Erin has been after transforming.

Clearly, she is better trained than Eren, but she probably has the same inherent limitations. I wonder if Eren was due for the same training before his dad vanished? I also wonder if Mikasa can also transform, since it seems likely that she was also enhanced somehow by Eren's dad.

Also this manga is amazing. It does so many things right that so much fiction just gets wrong (like actually knowing what your plot twists are going to be before you write them and having characters be able to come to the same conclusions the readers will).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!

Simstim posted:

Yeah, best to make a personal note never to cross Mikasa.

That's why she can't be a human-giant, at least yet. If she were, the series would have to be called Retreat From That Titan.

I kind of like the Attack on Titan in the context of secondary material like shirts. It has that muddled mistranslation feel, making the artwork even more surreal and giving me and excuse to wear it (I don't even wear shirts with a visible logo, but those are nice shirts).

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!

ANIME AKBAR posted:

But seriously, Eren had better get some better Titan powers or he's just going to keep getting owned by other human titans.

I think the idea is that Annie is both more knowledgeable about her Titan form and just straight-up the better hand to hand fighter. Which is nice because it keep the tone of the series to have the main character get his Shonen-protagonist-powers only to be repeatedly and brutally outclassed by an enemy.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
I don't buy the "titans were created to engineer the society presented in the manga" theory.

No elite class on earth has ever wanted less access to territory and resources. Societies which are expanding outwards don't have problems with internal instability; all the unsatisfied, ambitious, or idealistic people (regardless of class) simply turn outwards to the frontier. Empires become internally unstable precisely when the process of expansion decays and the only way to advance socially is infighting of the sort we see in the manga.

The elite can cynically attempt to sustain the status-quo without having intentionally engineered it. In fact, elites very rarely carry out complex schemes to create a particular status-quo in an organized fashion unless the thrust of that scheme is "expand outward" or "undermine my immediate competitors for power." If the current situation were engineered and reversible at the whim of the elite, a faction within the elite would have used this fact smash their competitors on front of a triumphant populist push to reclaim the world for humanity within a handful of generations. Why worry about the poor when you can buy them off, become a living legend, expand your own power in the process, and let grunts do the actually risky work? Why it would be just like every war ever! As for messing up the little system they have, they don't give a gently caress if society stops being stable after several hundred years of loving colonization, and their power is secure as long as there is territory to claim.

Seriously, if your theory hinges on elites being longsighted and unified in resisting the opportunity to seize a massive source of wealth and power, you might want to get yourself a new theory.

Edit: :words: that just support my statements above, please skip if you just want to read about people trying not to get eaten by giant lobotomy patients.

Elites have historically humored nativists on immigration while exploiting the social and legal distinctions created by nativist sentiment to exploit cheap immigrant labor. Nativists have typically been more concerned about defending the privileges conferred by those social and legal distinctions than they have been with claiming the relatively marginal opportunities claimed by the immigrants.

Racism has a special case for black people because of slavery, which created a separate economic system and therefore a distinct set of elites with different interests than the industrial elites of capitalist societies. This created social distinctions with implications outside of the temporal and territorial borders of slave-holding society.

The third facet of racism is directed at aboriginal populations. Put shortly, colonizing societies want aboriginal people to hurry up and loving die, but they also want to admire their pre-contact societies in order to assimilate their memory into the narrative of their own cultural heritage.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 15, 2012

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!

Sindai posted:

That was a very interesting series of events because it implies that there are at least two factions of titans, considering one has active infiltrators in the human military and the other isn't even aware of what language humans speak.

Huh? Bigfoot-dude only says that "he was pretty sure we speak the same language" and asks if Mike is too scared to speak. He's reacting to the fact that Mike isn't answering him, not expressing any actual ignorance.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!

TheHan posted:

He also doesn't know what 3D gear is and can only guess as to what the swords are for. He obviously doesn't know much about humans

Yeah, but that only tells us that his people are interested in learning more about the humans. Presumably, Annie's mission could be a longer-term factfinding project that hasn't returned substantial data yet.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
Unless Annie is a deep cover agent and crap like 3D gear isn't important enough to report back. Assuming her job even involves reporting back before her mission is complete.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!

Rakugoon posted:

If Sasha ever dies this manga may well become unreadable.

That's the problem with trying to write a Grimdarkitydarkdark story. If you're half-decent, eventually you end up with a cast of characters who are too awesome to just kill off.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!

Serious Frolicking posted:

And equally likely,

4. A benevolent diety destroys all the titans and gives Sasha a never-ending baked potato.

Well, this is how I would end the series :colbert:

If Titans direct their aggression by smell, that would be a pretty huge deal. On the other hand, it strikes me as a little too good to be true. They don't go after animals, and it can't be that hard to make yourself smell like an animal you have ready access to. Or like a downed titan, for that matter.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
I thought he was famous for treating people in general. I doubt there are many trained doctors around, let alone ones who go around treating poor people.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
In that case, 'Ymir' might be a name that Titans somehow end up knowing during the time they're in the fugue state just eating people and whatever. Since it's sounding like Ymir named herself.

It's also seeming as if everyone has the ability to turn into Titans at some level, given the implication that a village within the walls was transformed to create the current invasion.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!

Vincent Valentine posted:

this means he is NOT witnessing what is going on with Ymir. He may very well climb up the wall next chapter to find all of his titans dead, and not know why.

Most likely because they don't want to have a showdown between a human-titan and a Sasquatch-titan just yet.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
I'm intensely curious as to what the secret that the priest considers more important than the survival of humanity is. I could definitely see the wall and the titans being a Matrix-style means to allow humanity to exist without devastating the world through overpopulation and war. If so, the whole scheme has started to come apart at the seams.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
What's one of the iconic AD&D module series? Yeah, that's right- Against the Giants.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
There is definitely something up with the wall Titans. Subduing that many 50-meter Titans seems implausible, and the other giants just aren't a credible threat to anyone with a force of 50 meter Titans on hand. Either way, if you can make that wall, the other titans just aren't the problem you are actually addressing.

One possibility is that the normal Titans are the result of exposure to some sort of pollution created as a side-effect of the process that created the other, desirable sorts of Titans. The walls would then to serve to confine humans in a safe area. Or perhaps the hairy Titan represents a species or faction whose abilities the Titan technology is built on, and that which has humanity by the balls due to their ability to convert humans to mindless Titans en-mass.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!

Eej posted:

It seems implied that the more intelligent Titans are actually human-Titans (the Colossal one, the Armoured one and Annie) while the stupid ones are weird conglomerations of regenerating flesh. They don't even digest what they eat.

Keep in mind that Titans are solar-powered, and the human body within them is not itself active (and may even slip into the coma that almost rendered Eren mindless as part of conserving energy). So the human inside can probably live off the solar energy the Titan body harvests.

That could even be how the whole disaster happened, or part of how the technology was developed. Everyone gets huge awesome bodies and no one even needs food! Except that not everyone is able to resist falling into a blissful coma as they enter the energy-conservation state of semi-consciousness.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
I could see feral Titan-ism being an infectious disease. Perhaps bites cause it (not a major cause because so few people survive being bitten), but the hairy titans can inflect it somehow. That would explain how the village could have been turned into Titans as well.

I'm thinking that there are four types of Titan at least:
1) the Hairy Titans. I'm thinking that these may even be a non-human race.

2) Feral Titans. Humans infected with a disease making them brainless titans.

3) Manmade Titans: created by human technology, including Erin and Annie and the Wall Titans. Perhaps comes from vaccinating a human from the virus. Maybe the virus was created as a side effect of human attempts to gain the powers of the Hairy Titans, if I'm right about them being the naturally occurring form of Titan. Perhaps the Wall Titans were created as an early attempt to develop this process, but not at the completed stage and couldn't use their powers for anything else and still retain control of themselves?

4) Recovered Ferals: Feral Titans who have a genetic resistance to the virus (or something) that lets them potentially regain control of themselves naturally. Ymir.

This is all pure speculation piled atop pure speculation of course.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
Possibly. They may have gotten wind of Eren's dad's experiments, which would explain why Eren going back would resolve the crisis. People in the wall having access to human titans could be the threat that they were ordered to react to.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
Ymir named herself, didn't she? It may be a name all zombie titans know somehow, a sort of collective memory connected to the origin of their condition.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!

Schwarzwald posted:

Maybe they should provide Eren with a titan-scale club, or hammer?

He could have a full arsenal. There are engineering considerations and some trial-and-error might be required, but "make a really big weapon" is both a great idea and not really that hard for a civilization that has an army squad flying around on personal C02 jetpacks.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
Wasn't it implied that Eren and Mikasa killing the kidnappers was something two normal kids would just not be able to do? And not exclusively in a psychological sense. The impression I got was that whatever Eren's dad was doing to them had made them far more dangerous than normal kids.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!

Serious Frolicking posted:

If Ymir was a regular titan that managed to become mostly human, then why did some other titan know her name? She had some sort of authority over that one random talking titan. There have only been two examples of talking titans- the one who mistook a scout for Ymir and the sasquatch. Unlike the sasquatch, Ymir's titan form wasn't particularly powerful. So, why would she have had any kind of authority?

Also, the idea of titans gaining any sort of power from eating is completely unprecedented in the manga.

My theory? The Titans are all in a dream-state similar to humans. In it, they are eating a delicious food called "ymir."

That Titan was actually saying "Ymir is people," not "Ymir's people."

Ymir took that name because it was what she was becoming/had just became when she took it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
I have been assuming that Riener and Berthold were willing to die because their orders were to not break cover unless doing so would secure or neutralize the human titans. I am also guessing that Erin's father discovered something that their faction needs.

It may even be titanification itself. It may be that the other faction only has so many human titans, and that in them the trait is hereditary.

The walls being Titans suggests another idea: the wall and the Titans are a prison. The wall Titans gave their existence to contain a hated enemy. Not a new idea per se, but it does explain the wall Titans and the attitude of Reiner and Berthold towards the people within the walls.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 25, 2013

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
Ymir talked about being an outcast who was supposed to vanish or die like Christa was. Unlike Christa, she refused to hide her name.

We really don't know the significance of the noble families in all this. The fact that Christa is a Historia is evidently important. Maybe Ymir is also the name of a noble line? That would explain why a completely different titan was saying that name.

If I keep throwing darts at this, one of them will have to hit the answer, right? :colbert:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!

Vengarr posted:

Spoilers for the new chapter! (45)

It seems like Pixis and Irwin may not trust the MP's, though. Pixis states that he believes that the wall wasn't actually breached before he is told so, yet he still asked for every MP that could be spared from the inner wall; it sounds like they specifically requested their assistance in order to keep an eye on them. Nor were Pixis and Irwin surprised to learn that the Colossal Titan and the Armored Titan were among the recruits. Only Jean expressed any shock. By the way, Jean is back in this manga. Rivaille also gets a small scene. The military police are acting cocky because the expected titan swarm hasn't showed up, and one of them asks Rivaille where all the prey is. That guy gets shut up pretty quick.

I'm beginning to suspect that (all just speculation, but spoilered just in case it touches on new stuff too much) at the very least, titan powers are a characteristic of royalty/notable bloodlines in this world. Or maybe just everyone, with the special bloodlines having more control and/or perks like Reiner and Berthold. In this case, Erin's dad might simply have been researching ways to stop Sasquatch-Titan from turning the peasantry to derp-titans at will, maybe even by experimenting with an inoculation that imparts self-control in Titan form.

Also, the wall titans face inwards, right? I'm guessing they are sentinels. The most dangerous titan in existence being smack dab in the royal palace, either as one of the royalty or as a prisoner in the castle. Or just asleep (maybe the same way that Annie is) until it feels like eating the world. Containing a sufficiently apocalyptic titan would be one of the few things worth more than the lives of every human within the walls. Basically, Loki being imprisoned until Ragnarock.

Having the worst titan be at the center of known human territory would also be very on tone for this manga. Erin and Co's whole world as one big desperate, doomed failsafe. All this is probably known to the wall priests, royal guard, and the inner wall society as a whole.

While I'm at it, I think when Erin's dad refers to someone's memories helping Erin to understand when he reaches the basement, he was probably referring to the wall titans. Some record of their lives or way to commune with their dreams is probably in the basement. Of course, there could easily be other candidates that we haven't even seen yet.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!

Gyges posted:

Seems like just a textbook side effect of Eren's over abundant burning Shonen spirit to me. If everyone else just believed in the total annihilation of the Titans with just a tenth of his conviction they'd be able to do things like that too.

The great thing about Eren is that it isn't just Shonen spirit that fuels him. It's hate. He's going to actually have to develop as a character to get back to just hating what the Titans represent the way he did before they breached the wall. It's probably better for his mental health that he's too straightforward a person to process the implications of the fact that he can transform into a Titan beyond "now I can kill Titans with my bare hands!"

Also, it's interesting that the latest chapter has Mikasa reflect on the fact that she hesitated to kill Reiner and Bertholt before they transformed. I kind of got the idea that she held back when I saw that bit, and it's nice to have it confirmed. Especially given how vicious the damage actually did to them was.

I was originally going to just reply that I want to see a mock-up of Evangelion with Eren in the role of Shinji. Which would miss the point of Evangelion entirely, but it would be hilarious and :black101:

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 12, 2013

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
Quote is not edit!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
Japanese stuff does the "to the future of this fictional world" thing a lot. From the New World does it in the translated novel page. Final Fantasy Tactics also comes to mind.

JosephWongKS posted:

The only questions is whether he will die bravely and with dignity, or die while screaming and pleading and making GBS threads his pants.

Well, he will probably die facing down a Titan he could have ran away from. Possibly still making GBS threads his pants, but him deciding to face a Titan would wrap up his arc with when he was too afraid to face the Titan that killed Eren's mother.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
Also from Canada and 6'3". People around my height aren't common per se, but we aren't rare either.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
Mikasa also got some sort of tattoo of her clan crest or something, right? That could have something to do with, well, any number of things. Especially since she's the last Asian or something (assuming that is actually true and not setting up something for later as well).

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
It's possible that Ymir is a family name. That seems to be the case with "Historia" as well, since everyone immediately recognized the name as belonging to an important family. Ymir could be the name of the noble family that created the Titans or played some other role in the creating the current situation. That would explain why Ymir would conclude that people would rather see the name die.

Also, the "Connie's mom" Titan also spoke. Perhaps familiar sights can trigger moments of clarity?

Annie's father could be someone important. It could be someone not yet introduced, but Annie being Eren's half-sister would be hilarious. It would also by implication alone qualify Eren's dad for the Gendo Ikari Terrible Parenting in Anime Award.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 22, 2013

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!

Jimbot posted:

It's like I'm reading a storyboard for an anime.

In a sense, that's what a manga is. The same genre(s) in a different medium.

If the action is the part you find interesting, you'll probably keep being annoyed by the rest. Switching between character POVs, showing how characters are interpreting events, and shifting around the scene chronologically are all just basic storytelling devices. Interrupting a conflict with a shift in scenes to keep the reader wondering about the resolution is basically Serial Storytelling 101.

Not to say that you have to like how this particular story uses those techniques.

(I didn't notice that Christa had been using a different version of Reiss as her last name before. The point otherwise stands though.

Although part of the point of making her a noble is that she seems to have some natural charisma that makes other characters want to follow her, which is almost certainly being set up for a reason. She's probably technically in line for some important position, and the politics of that could easily tie into everything else).

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 23, 2013

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
If there is a revolutionary scenario, it would be characters like Pixis doing the organizing. There's plenty of dissatisfaction, and the walls are shrinking. The human population is probably a lynch mob waiting for someone to hang.

If Eren discovers that humans created the current situation, he won't see them as people anymore. The kid is pure hate. His original beef with the titans was humanity being caged, and he was willing to start a fight over people saying that humanity shouldn't try to escape.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
My guess is that humans on this side of the water were transformed, much as we already saw at Connie's village.

Sasquatch Titan could be from the original continent, I guess?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
It could be that the text represents an official version of history, with the origin of the wall glossed over.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
I can't help but wonder if Ymir doesn't have something to do with Reiner and Bertholt attacking the walls. It could be that Ymir was recognized as a non-standard Titan- she doesn't look that much like a normal Titan, she's loving ripped just like she is as a human. Whatever she did might have been interpreted as an attack by the people in the walls on Reiner and Bertholt's people.

I wonder if there aren't also other groups of survivors using different methods to keep away Titans. Reiner and Bertholt's people could be from one of those.

Annie seemed to be indoctrinated from a young age, but she isn't idealistic. That may be why she's a "soldier" rather than a "warrior." My take is that she hates her role in life, but feels that she has no choice. She does things like killing that scout cruelly out of a sort of ironic detachment. As Armin says at one point, she really is a good person. She doesn't know how to translate that into action, though, and probably thinks that it's impossible.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
I find it interesting that the priest says that she may speak to the public about what she knows.

Christa gonna lead a revolution :dance:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
I sort of get the idea that he doesn't feel great about what he's doing, but he has a better handle on it than Reiner does. It's interesting seeing Annie and those two deal with knowing that they are terrible people.

It's also interesting that none of them seem to have excepted to return from the mission.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
I don't think either would care about being swarmed. Bert's steam trick alone takes care of that. They might run out of energy, though.

I'm curious as to why they want to find the Monkey Titan. Could it be they wanted to kill the humans in the wall to deny him a source if people to Titan-ize and use against their home? But if they capture or kill it, they might neutralize that threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
On that day, humanity remembered the humiliation that was living under their rule. Those jerks with their giant loving pizzas.

(The blades are for cutting a slice loose.
The 3dmg is for grabbing it and getting away).