Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
The titans are said to have appeared 107 years ago, but I wonder if the wall and the society in it hasn't existed for much longer. The royal bloodline has existed for at least 2000 years. If those in power have (or had) the power to create titans, control them and alter memories, they could have been using those skills (along with technology suppression and censorship) to keep everything the same. Essentially creating a sustainable and manageable human population that does not fight wars amongst itself. The biggest problem would be an increase of population but they have many means to deal with that. Sending people to fight titans, changing people into titans and sending them out, bringing titans inside the walls to eat people etc.

107 Years ago might just have been a particularly large culling, perhaps in response to a previous rebellion. The parents of Eren and Mikasa and all those from the village might be the descendants of such a rebellion and have carried it on, although through different means. If Erens father fully controlled the means to create titans and turn them back into humans, he could use that to go into hiding for long periods of time through some kind of titan hibernation (they don't age and in absence of sunlight are inactive). Eren himself could be much older too and his flashbacks might be from 107 years ago. The injection his father gave him might have been a way to inactivate a cure for titanism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

RatHat posted:

But what about the weird part in the first chapter with Eren apparently having a flashback?
Grisha probably just used injections to induce memory loss, he could have been using it on Eren before he turned him into a shifter. That would be useful for storing memories for later use, especially if Eren can later unlock those memories by choice (by visiting the basement). It may have been a precaution in case Grishna had to quickly turn Eren into a titan. Grisha might have used this on Mikasa as well, that would explain why she doesn't understand what Eren is talking about.

Piriwi fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 9, 2014

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
I think royal family and the ape titan probably have some sort of deal in place:
- the royals offer the ape titan people to eat (normally themselves, now Eren)
- the government keeps the human population under control, prevent technology from being developed
In exchange the ape titan leaves humanity alone. I would not be at all surprised if the ape titan is also the one that actually made the wall, he can change people into titans and he can direct them. This would mean that the wall religion is worshipping him as their god. There could more like him, in which case he is just a representative of his kind. If there was a war between them and humanity in the past, humanity probably lost.

Now, if the Royals don't meet their end of the deal (not sacrificing themselves, or not keeping humanity under control), the ape titan destroys part of humanity, either by destroying the walls or changing people into titans. This would explain why he was there in the first place (he came to eat the royal family) and leaving while testing defences (the royal family didn't come through, but he might have given them some time to fix things).

We know there are strong sacrificial undertones to the royal family, but it's not clear why they could be sacrificing themselves for the greater good. We do know that at least one of them had a power (memory wipe). If powers are hereditary, periodically culling the royal family could be how the ape titan prevents powers from spreading. Especially the coordinate power would be dangerous to him.
This would also explain why Reiner and Bertold want the coordinate power, they would use it to fight the ape titan. It may well be possible that they themselves have been turned to mindless titans by the ape titan in the past, which would explain their response to him. Of course, fighting the ape titan would mean dragging humanity into war, but they might find that acceptable. It would be setting up a choice for the fate of humanity: all out war for freedom or living peacefully and ignorantly under a dictatorship.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Am I supposed to know who those two characters on the last page are?

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Terper posted:

Bert and Reiner. You know. The Colossal and Armored Titan.

I guess Bertold has been taking steroid injections?

Maybe time to reread some chapters though, I suppose it makes sense from the content of the chapter in any case.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Clearly the steam emitted by the colossal titan in the first chapter is a direct reference to commandore Perry using steam frigates to open Japan to the outside world.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Honestly Kruger the officer who caught them did not seem too bad despite the whole kicking him thing. (His partner was a poo poo however.)

I did wonder about that... perhaps him telling Eren to stay was meant to keep him there, so his partner could do his thing.

The real mystery that was introduced that I definitely expect to be relevant at some point in the future is who is owl, the contact in the Marley government. Not much to go on at this point, although maybe Grishna will have something to say next chapter...

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
What I didn't understand about the plan to use shifters is that to the supposed king it would've been obvious who is responsible for the attack the walls. So the argument that if Marley were to attack with their regular army the king would bring down the walls and release the giant titans inside, that doesn't really hold up.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Flying Squirrel posted:

The only sure way to steal the coordinate power to keep the king from using it is to eat him. This necessitated using shifters. You can kick in a gate and let mindless titans in, so you don't need an army. Then the shifters can hide in the confusion. There is no retaliation (cause the king got got, don't know if they knew that or not, but either way, the walls don't mobilise), so they can infiltrate and do some recon before moving onto phase 2. Of course they hit phase 2 and then another shifter shows up, throwing their plan into disarray.

Although, they try to capture Eren instead of eating him, so I guess maybe they wouldn't have just tried to eat the king... Eh, I don't know.

I assume they could easily get over the wall without being detected. How would they even know there was any military they could infiltrate in advance?

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Bob Moog sex tape posted:

So does this mean that the people in Connie's village were given titan spinal serum, presumably by Zeke, and didn't just turn into titans from monkey titan proximity?

He did carry around a tiny bag somewhere, because he wanted to bring back the gear of some scout he killed.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Frionnel posted:

When i posted this:

I didn't think it was right.

The nazis originally planned on sending all the Jews to Madagascar...

JahRoo posted:

So do the Marley folks also call Annie's titan the female titan? And does it always look like a girl regardless of who inherits it?

The mule titan looks male but the shifter is clearly female. Maybe some of the titans simply work better if used by a specific gender, like how apparently Ymir didn't quite end up looking like the current jaw-titan and her titan wasn't very feminine either.

Piriwi fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 29, 2017

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I thought this chapter said that they made titan juice out of Zeke's spinal fluid, which is also why he was able to control those titans despite not having the coordinate. Isn't extracting spinal fluid extremely painful but very possible, especially considering shifters have a healing factor?

Maybe they take the spinal fluid from Zeke when he is in ape-mode.

snucks posted:

The half-dozen times Reiner really should have been offed have all been redeemed by the closing conversation with Falco. It seems like he's sifting through the recruits to find one who's independently minded enough to inherit the armored titan and use it to establish Eldian independence. All the subtext we got about the warriors going native wasn't just idle talk.

I didn't get the impression of there being a well-formed plan by Reiner. He's suffering from posttraumatic stress disorder and the author isn't being subtle about it: waking from nightmares, flashbacks during the day and sudden outbursts of emotion.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Improbable events happen in real life all the time (with 7 billion people around...), but it doesn't mean it makes for good fiction. I did a writing course once and it was one of the things explicitly stated to avoid...

However, the problem isn't just that something unlikely happened (Armin surviving), it's that by reversing what we think has happened (Armin dying), it makes you distrustful of the story and thus cheapens the impact of anything happening subsequently. That wasn't the case for Eren being in contact with the smiling titan, because at the time we didn't know what was going on.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
The existence of the Ackermans and royals seems to imply there definitely is something inheritable about these kind of powers.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

JahRoo posted:

It's unclear who Heros is and what he actually did. It says he defeated the devil of the earth, but we know that OG Ymir was long dead and the titans had been split by then, so if there was one single "Devil" it would most likely have been one of the titans,
unless the devil of the earth from the mythology is real and was still around doing stuff 100 years before the story.

I assume Heros is a (mostly) fictional invention, like just about everything about the Marley liberation.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
I've been rereading from about where the anime is at (after watching that).
One thing that stood out to me was at the end of 107: Gabi and Falco make their escape from prison, and then Reiner wakes up and claims he heard their voices.
I wonder if this is like when Eren Kruger talked about Mikasa and Armin, and that this means either Falco or Gabi will inherit the armored titan. So Reiner is actually experiencing past memories of a future Armored Titan.

Also after listening to the anime I feel that Hange should probably be translated as Hansje or Hansi, which are diminituive/female forms of Hans.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

JahRoo posted:

So I may be having trouble following due to the translations, but are we supposed to assume that all the higher ups have been drinking contaminated wine for a while now or was that specific bottle being saved for a special occasion?

I know zeke can activate people with his spinal fluid at will, but what we saw at the start of the Marley arc seemed to imply that his spinal fluid put them in a mildly catatonic state, so I have trouble believing a bunch of higher ups are walking talking titan bombs that have no idea.

I think those people were possibly drugged, maybe half aware of what was going to happen, or possibly 'redundant' people suffering from mental illness or war trauma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I don’t even recall where it was myself but, but didn’t someone just mention that Reiner had a “memory” or Gabi or Falco or something which would indicate one of them will eat him, like how Eren Krueger said something about Mikasa and Armin?

I’d link back to it but I’m on mobile, forgive me.

I asked about this due to the end of chapter 107. Gabi and Falco escape prison, then Reiner wakes up from a bad dream, claims he heard the voices of Gabi and Falco and asks where they are.