Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

It's set in Anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Zorak posted:

Simple: she disengaged from it while they started to try to devour her, then 3D maneuvered out as the body deteriorated. The deterioration obscured her enough to hide from both Rivalle and the giants.

And I have to say, I love that for once, BELIEVE BLINDLY IN YOUR FRIENDS has failed.

I knew the moment that went down that it wasn't going to end well, but I was expecting them to employ tactics that were intentionally kept from Eren, like some sort of titan virus or whatever that he might not be okay with being a titan himself, that they were keeping just in case he decides to go rogue so that he wouldn't be able to combat it.

Then they all got murdered and it was like fuuuuuuck.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Comic still owns.

Comic still bleak as hell.

:smith:

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Argas posted:

I hope they get around to explaining how they deduced the female giant's identity. Otherwise, a pretty cool chapter.

Without sounding sassy: They looked at the giant. Then they looked at her.

Why the poo poo did they reveal their hand? She's still in human form, loving stab her in the face why are you telling her you know stab her in the faaaaaaaace :argh:

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

They aren't teeth, they are more like fused horn. They are used for fighting between males over mates and for dominance, much like rams, iirc. The teeth are in a narrow ring further in and are small and serrated, much like those in sharks.:tipshat:

I dunno if that's actually his lore or whatever but typically a mouth like that with a large, flat, wide pallet with rows of sharp teeth is something that crushes its prey rather than tears it. When the prey struggles it rends itself if it can even move at all. Since its extremities are so restricted it has no real way to fight back and then the murder starts.

You see similar methods in how alligators kill prey. They clamp down and hold the prey in place, and then spin their bodies like a corkscrew to let bodyweight and physics do the work.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

edit: woops nevermind

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

hackbunny posted:

Annie did look like she was just escaping, and not intentionally meaning to expose the entombed titan. Which probably means the walls are absolutely full of dead titans. I'm having Evangelion graveyard flashbacks

Unlikely. Walls have gone down before, and if they had titans in them I imagine this is something people would have known by now.

On the other hand, she had basically no problems whatsoever loving that wall up, which begs the question: why haven't the titans just knocked all the walls down? Is it because they know there's titans in the walls and don't want to kill their friends?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Feriowind posted:

The Uniqlo on 5th Ave in Manhattan is currently selling Attack on Titan t-shirts!! I bought 2 myself, but they're selling like 4 different designs.

That is the most goofy-rear end font they could have possibly chosen to represent a comic book about giant monsters consuming humanity, both literally and figuratively.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

TheHan posted:

Yeah no these guys are screwed.

I can't imagine how they managed to get that many titans to lay still long enough to build around them. Annie had some control over the titans in the forest, so it could be they've had the ability for a good century.

Or, the titans in the wall were man-made titans.

Like Armin says, they may be there voluntarily.

Don't forget, Eren is a titan and is happily helping Humanity survive against the titans by using his titan forum. It's entirely possible that those Titans are humans that became a living wall(using their regeneration powers and whatever) to keep out other titans to save humanity in the same way Eren is. The book even says the walls seem to not have any grooves or grout and are just one solid chunk of stone. Seems pretty plausible to me.

The church even uses a ton of wall symbolism in its prayer and preaching. Seems to me like the church knows what the deal is, and is trying to honor the people who sacrificed themselves to be the wall by keeping the memory alive.

Vincent Valentine fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 10, 2012

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Holy poo poo :stare:

The giant with the big eyes and the Bigfoot giant are both creepy as gently caress. Especially the long arms on the Bigfoot giant. Jesus christ. When he crushed it and the eyeball popped out oh poo poo

Now I just have no idea what is going on. Bigfoot killed that smaller giant without even caring. You'd think that if his buddy was inside it, he wouldn't be so quick to kill him. I wonder if the previous poster that said the small, weird looking giants have non-humans inside them and there's a bunch of squirrels going around eating people as titans.

It's also entirely possible the smaller giants are sort of like...you know how zombies are in movies? How Bob is Bob until he's Zombie Bob and then you don't have any problem shooting him in the face because he's not really Bob anymore, he's just a mindless brain-feasting machine? That, essentially.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I was so sure that titan was her dad. Seriously, just compare their faces. All's well that ends well, though! Well, except for the old woman. She's proper hosed.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Mo_Steel posted:

Hell yes. Too bad those both update about as often as this does. :saddowns:

I also thought that last titan was a crazy villager, it looked very much more human than the other small ones we've seen.

Actually that's a really good point. Sasquatch said that they all have something in the nape of their necks. That guy might have something, but he's not that much larger than your average person(by Titan standards), so he's definitely not piloted. What would he have in his nape?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

TheHan posted:

But she's still alive! :gonk:

Sasha's just lucky this isn't like other manga, that flashback would've been a death sentence.

Don't worry, she's very much dead. A wound that size in that location and she would have bled out in seconds. :eng101:

Also, in case people missed it:

http://www.mangaeden.com/en-manga/shingeki-no-kyojin/36/7/

http://www.mangaeden.com/en-manga/shingeki-no-kyojin/36/41/

Vincent Valentine fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 12, 2012

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Yeah, he's getting a lot better but there's still quite a few laffo art moments in this comic.

I think it's really hard to tell what's going on with the titan wall, in regards to people breaking in. They could just punch a hole in(which we've seen is possible), wake up the titan bro sleeping within, then have them dissolve the wall. Or maybe it's possible that, when killed, the titan automatically dissolves the wall. There's really too many ideas that make sense to make a really viable conclusion

That said though, I got to thinking about what someone earlier in regards to titans, that they sometimes vomit people up after eating them. Maybe that's how they're made? The titan stomach juices aren't necessarily for breaking down sustenance, it might be to transform the people into titans. Like reproduction, essentially. I mean yeah, quite a few people get chomped and get their body split in half, but not all of them.

The big argument about the priest this chapter was whether or not he's got information that's more important than humanity's survival. What if that information is that they feel beating the titans is impossible, and humans can simply live on as titans after a brief, but difficult, assimilation process?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

ArchDemon posted:

Good lord you guys are excellent at decoding this poo poo. The thing I'm trying to wrap my brain around now is what could possibly be more important than saving all of humanity?

Ascending to a new existence i.e. becoming titans

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Zasze posted:

Hey did anyone catch the name of the castle?

Utgard? hmmm that sounds norse like what with ymir and all i wonder what it is?

Maybe he's just a World of Warcraft fan and thinks the big Vrykyr guys are cool

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Maybe the titans didn't want to kill humans after all and actually just wanted to impress them so they could be bros and so they attacked each other to make the humans think they're good at killing titans too because that's all the humans seem to care about. That and flying.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Because he can't die, because he's the key to humanity's salvation. Being eaten but regurgitated by a titan causes you to become a titan yourself. Eren will start to swallow humans whole, then vomit them up in order to Titan-ize them. He will be the messiah that ushers in humanity's ascendance to a higher level of existence.

Then he will declare Titan War on the other titan factions, eventually win, and the titans will inherit the earth.

Vincent Valentine fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 10, 2012

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Yeah that's gonna rule.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Ymir looking like a dumb titan in the past and a Boss titan in the present lends some credence to the theory that titans are "born" in a bloodlust, and only when they survive long enough to mature do they have urges outside of feeding.

Maybe that's how the factions came to pass? Everyone getting together to eat some dudes, and then they start thinking for themselves. And everyone knows when some people start thinking, people start disagreeing.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Superstring posted:

Is the hairy titan supposed to be climbing up or down the wall on the first page?

Down. He surveyed the destruction and was satisfied in the last chapter. In this chapter, the second panel shows his hand breaking into the stone with handholds further up above him in the first panel, implying he's breaking into the stone as he descends, not using hand-holds that were already present.

I realize that's a lot of words to say "he's climbing down", but I couldn't tell either when I first looked and it took some effort to figure it out. I figured he would stay to watch this until the bitter end, but it's important that he's descending and not ascending because this means he is NOT witnessing what is going on with Ymir. He may very well climb up the wall next chapter to find all of his titans dead, and not know why.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Eiba posted:

Crazy theory for the sake of a crazy theory: Ymir is actually a Titan who transformed into a human, rather than the other way around. Ymir is a common Titan name.

Also, I don't really like this theory(just on a personal level, I wouldn't like the story to go this way) but it does make sense. One thing that has been bugging me is that the priest never revealed the secret that the clergy knows. Maybe that secret is that all of humanity are titans, they're just "evolved" titans and don't really know it yet as they're generations removed from titans who did know it. He's worried that if people knew, they would give in to their monstrous side. The wall was made by humans who knew the truth, willing to sacrifice themselves to keep the truth outside.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

codeorange posted:

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/89451/shingeki-no-kyojin_v4_ch17_by_gantz-waitingroom/34

Gee I wonder what these super secret metals could possibly be?

You know there's just so much foreshadowing in this manga that I don't know what the hell to expect anymore.

Guys, guys I got it.

We tell them it's got like, secret metal ingredients. They'll be all "Hey what's in this???" and we'll be all "No way dude TOP SECRET INDUSTRY TOWN SECRETS, take your non-industry rear end back over to Bakery Town, idiot"

It's really just an iron/tin steel alloy.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Oh for fucks sake why didn't they just leave why did they make ymir keep fighting :argh:

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Regarding her limbs I just assumed that when you're about to die, your in-titan body just doesn't bother to regenerate the limbs. But the thing about her being a different breed of titan, with potentially different "powers"(traits? aspects? what are these called?) also makes a lot of sense. We've been using the Factions theory for a really long time. It's possible they're not just factions, but families or bloodlines, each with unique powers.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I thought her dying at the end there was sort of unambiguous. It's pretty much accepted that when a character holds up the head of another injured character, drops some exposition on them, and the injured character closes their eyes, that dude just died. I mean, sure, it's not the case 100% of the time(Thanks Kung Pow: Enter the Fist, it was a good joke) but it's pretty drat close.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

He's gonna get in the basement and it's just going to be bongs and pink floyd albums, humanities greatest treasures from a lost age.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

RatHat posted:

That was just them speculating how the titans got in if not through the wall. I still think it's obvious the hairy titan is going around transforming people somehow.

EDIT: So on Page 14 Ryner says "Our objective was to wipe out all the humans within the wall." Could someone who knows Japanese read the raw and see if he does actually specify the humans within the wall? Because that would imply there are humans OUTSIDE the wall, which Ryner and Bertholdt probably came from.

The fact that there are humans outside the wall is pretty plainly obvious. It's where Ryner and Bertholdt came from, it's the village they referred to, and the reason they want Eren to go with them is probably to say "There are titans inside the wall too, just like us. Maybe we don't have to be racist shitheads and holocaust an entire society now that we know they aren't that different"

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Nahxela posted:

They did say they wanted Eren to come with them so they could talk. Maybe he'll just get punched the hell out and kidnapped, like Ymir is presumably going to be.

Also, if they're letting Ryner just sit around, I imagine he's probably going to have time to regenerate so he can make his escape.

Yeah, that's the first thing I thought. They're going to try and bring the two confirmed titans inside the city back to their village with them via stomach transport

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Aren't titan's supposed to be relatively light? Those guys stomping around made it seem like they had some heft in their step

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

GodFish posted:

Clearly the story takes place on Saturn's moon Titan.

For awhile there was a big theory that Titan was the name of the planet and Titans were the planet's self-defense system and attacking the titans meant attacking the planet itself.

It was bonkers but it was born out of the weird name.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

People who have read the manga should probably just not post in the anime thread at all at this point. I know we're all totally stoked to re-visit the series after almost two years of reading it with this thread, but that poo poo is getting ridiculous.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I thought we established that the population density in the outer wall was incredibly small as the scout dudes rode out during that one chapter in a huge formation and didn't see anything for hours, until they were finally like "Hey there's some titans, still no people though"

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

You can't live underground because that's how you get Morlochs. Come on people, THINK.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Captain Invictus posted:

Has Mikasa ever been cut?

To be fair, regardless of who they are, nobody is ever really "cut" in this manga. They are generally horrifically maimed which leads into one of the following two things:

1) They are going to die very soon
2) They turn into a titan.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I specifically told my friends I'm just not going to talk about this with them. Not because I don't enjoy it, and not because I don't trust myself, but because literally anything you can possibly say about this story is going to be massive loving spoilers. Like, anything. The Titans are Cylons? Nope, every Human-Titan has been a really big deal. There seem to be warring factions? Nope, because it's such a big deal even current readers are in the dark. Who lives and dies? Well, that's just about the only thing you can say, everyone dies and they always die with little fanfare. Even the ones you think have plot armor will probably die. That's the theme and tone of the manga: Everyone dies.

Eren being a titan is the point where it really took a turn for me and I was completely hooked, though, so I'm pretty stoked to see if the anime thread follows suit.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I apparently completely forgot how the Eren Becomes A Titan thing goes down because I thought he just got eaten and then hulked straight the gently caress out of that guys belly and everyone was kind of like "yeah that's the guy. I mean this is weird but that's our dude sooooo..."

I guess after two years you should expect for certain things to be fuzzy but wow i've forgotten the entire thing.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Attack on Titan is going to end the same way Battlestar Galactica did, with ErenCylon and Mikasa repopulating the planet, the Basement holds a record player with a Japanese cover of All Along The Watchtower.

So Mikasa and Eren will survive, but technically everyone will die eventually.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

If I remember right, yes and no. There was that time he just made half of a titan body to block cannon shots on civilians below him and the body just kind of hung out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

There was a line in the anime along the lines of "Their memories will help you understand your powers." when Eren was hulking out to block the cannon shot

I can't remember, was that in the Manga? Because that seems like kind of a huge loving deal, if Dadguy is implying that not only did he give Eren titan powers he also gave him the memories of past titans(possibly test subjects from the basement?) so that he could use his powers properly. But if that's the case, shouldn't he also know things like...where the titans are currently camped at?