Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
No the Ymir mentioned by the titan is definitely this same Ymir. The scene with that titan and Ilsa(it was Ilsa, right?) makes so much sense now. The titan mistook her for Ymir at the time. They have similar lean builds, dark hair of comparable length, and freckles. When she speaks, he realizes it isn't Ymir, drops his act, and eats her.

Also check this out: Chapeter 15 pages 9-10 from the beginning of the training arc. Let's pan over all the characters who have dealt with titans: Annie, Reiner and Bertholdt, Mikasa, Eren... and Ymir. The poo poo you find in this manga reading it a second time. I love it.

And I'm nearly positive Reiner is the armored titan and Bertholdt is the collassal titan.

Tiptoes fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Two Tone Shoes, you are exactly right. I had the same interpretation when I read it the second time. I'm pretty sure he cut a message into her hand to communicate with Annie without speaking. She stares at her hand afterwards which I took as innocuous at first but now not so much. And afterwards he tries to say she's running away out of fear which is the dumbest thing he's ever said and I found that out of character for him. Reiner is way too smart and perceptive in other situations. I thought it was a bad lie instead.

AnonSpore, those are great observations. I didn't even catch those on my second time. But around when I got to training arc again, I noticed that he was dropping clues left and right. Reread this conversation. Bertholdt is waaaay too light on details regarding their backstory and completely glosses over how they escaped the village. Reiner shoots him dirty looks the whole time too. Betholdt's "I have no will of my own" line caught my eye. Definitely seems like its insinuating a lot more than he lets on. Also check out Reiner's comments on pages 20-21. His motivation seems very similar to Annie's from Chapter 33 pages 40-41.

Tiptoes fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 16, 2012

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

RatHat posted:

I was more amazed by him being accurate to even what titans they were. We all knew Ryner and Bernholt were suspicious.
The author actually foreshadowed this back during the early training arc. There's a scene set in a cafeteria where Eren or Armin is talking about titans. When he mentions the armored titan, the panel's focus is on Reiner. When he mentions the collosal titan, there's Bertholdt. Blew my mind when I saw it on reread.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Jackard posted:

The camera focuses on Reiner in episode three when the kids ask Eren if he saw the Armored titan. :allears:
The manga did the same thing. Outs both of them so nonchalantly. He dropped so few hints about Bertholdt behind the colossal-type but that page alone convinced me of it when I saw it during a second read.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

RatHat posted:

Since Annie had his gear, I wonder if she was the one who killed him or if she just found him dead and took it. Annie didn't seem like the kind to murder for no reason(she even avoided killing people she knew during the scouting mission), so I doubt she killed him herself.
It seemed heavily implied to me that Annie doomed Marco by stealing his gear before the battle. Jean is the one who finds his body and later makes mention of how Marco never got a chance to use his 3D gear. Annie never comes across the body as far as I can tell. Her "forgive me" line was over the body of random nobodies. Just guilt over the deaths she (and Reiner/Bertholdt, who are also in that scene) cause but not a specific person as far as I can tell. I think it's too coincidental for her to come across his body accidentally and just loot it. She needed gear prepped for battle but unused at the point of theft since that's the gear she used officially on authorized missions. It needed to match her records about its usage. Trying to find unused/undamaged gear among corpses would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Makes more sense logistically and narratively if she manufactured Marco's death by taking it beforehand.

Also I don't how if I'd characterize Annie as reluctant to kill. There's a viciousness to her that's unlike anything Reiner and Bertholdt have shown so far. I mean this is just cruel and she's smiling while doing it. She had fun killing scouts. And she only spared Armin the once out on the field. When he goes back after her with Reiner and Jean, she tries to knock him 1000 feet into the air. Didn't pull her punch there. Tried to kill Jean later in the encounter too but he was good enough with his 3D gear to dodge it. Reiner/Bertholdt aren't nearly that cool with killing people. I don't think they've ever tried to kill previously. It was mostly just "show up and take out the gate/defenses." Annie has proven she's capable of doing whatever terrible actions a mission calls for. Still hard to tell what was instilled into them as child titan-soldiers, but Annie seems to have come away with a much bigger personal investment than the other two. I can't wait for the author to delve into their backstories. And I'm curious if Reiner and Bertholdt will actually try to kill any of the scouts in the current battle. That might be a line they're not ready to cross. Bertholdt definitely won't at least.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Captain Cappy posted:

He has it on when everybody is rallying to take the supply depot.
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/7/10
Different part of the battle. They retreat to the safety of the wall afterwards and the whole army regroups and draws up the plan to plug the hole in the wall. There's a legitimate intermission between the action so mentally I've always thought of them as different battles. Plenty of time to steal it then or during the battle. And the discovery of Eren during the first part of the action would've inspired infiltrators to act. But I did get thrown off by a translation difference. This friggin page does not say the same as this one. Made me think he had it with him but didn't get to use it. I still think she got him killed. Otherwise why did it have to be Marco's? She's cold enough to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

Recon got suspicious of Bert, Ernie and Ymir once they realized they were from the same village as Annie. I'm positive that none of them overheard this, though, so I have no idea why Reiner panicked. :iiam:
Because he almost died the night before at the tower and that freaked him out. So he took the easy way out with Bert once they realized they could just nab Ymir and Eren right there and take off. Seeing the ape titan was probably a factor as well.