Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.
http://nypost.com/2014/08/18/enough-sanctimony-ladies-catcalls-are-flattering/

quote:

I imagine the catcall stretches back to ancient construction times, when the Israelites were building the pyramids, with scores of single Jewish women hiking up their loincloths, hoping for a little attention.

Most of the time, we women can’t shake a hurtful insult hurled 15 years ago — but can barely recall a compliment from yesterday.

My drive-by dose of confidence is the 10-second antidote to all that negative feedback in the real world, where reverberations stick.

For me, it’s nothing short of exhilarating, yielding an unmatched level of euphoria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I feel bad for that lady. When you get validation from what strangers yell at you, something is wrong with your life.

(I get catcalled about once a week and I'm always mildly amused. "Okay, dude, whatever" :rolleyes:)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

I refuse to believe that this is real.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
That lady should get along well with the M'lady crowd what with the euphoria and all that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

cheerfullydrab posted:

Not a single bit of PIV involved in creating Jesus, and he took away all our sins. :smug:

Fun fact! One of the earliest attempts in history to reconcile Christianity with then developing biological sciences was that Joseph inseminated Mary by dipping his dong into her ear!!!!!!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ah, yes. The noted pyramids of Jerusalem...

I get that she's referencing the whole slaves in Egypt mythology, but it's a really weird use. I mean, I've never heard a Jewish or Christian person claim the captivity happened during the pyramid building. I've just never seen that use.

And anyway, the whole captives in Egypt thing has no historical evidence to support it.

Also, so as not to miss the forest... That lady definitely has serious self worth problems.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

xrunner posted:

I get that she's referencing the whole slaves in Egypt mythology, but it's a really weird use. I mean, I've never heard a Jewish or Christian person claim the captivity happened during the pyramid building. I've just never seen that use.
I've literally never heard a claim that DIDN'T involve "Jews built the pyramids". Well, other than

xrunner posted:

And anyway, the whole captives in Egypt thing has no historical evidence to support it.
, which is the actual truth.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
"Egyptians made Jewish slaves build their pyramids" is one of those pieces of pseudo-history that all poorly-informed people in our society "know," like "Columbus sailed the Atlantic to prove the world is round" (he didn't need to prove that, educated Europeans had known the Earth was round for about 1700 years).

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Back in the day, weren't the pyramids supposed to be, like, giant grain silos mentioned in the Bible?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
This guy is such an insufferable shithead, everything he writes goes into poe's law territory but this one is especially egregious.

http://townhall.com/columnists/john...t-life-n1883160

quote:

Dear Millennials: Hollywood, Your Favorite Bands, and Your College Professors Have Been Lying To You About Life

I feel sorry for Millennials. We are leaving them an almost insurmountable debt, an American Dream that seems tarnished, and chances are, they're not going to have it as good as their parents.

However, we've done something even worse to these kids. We've left far too much of their education in life to Hollywood, musicians, and college professors who've passed on a skewed view of the world. Not only have most of these kids never been told the truth about how the world works, they've been told that anyone who even tries to tell them the truth should be immediately tuned out because they're boring, mean and "uncool."

Unfortunately for them, reality doesn't care about boring, mean or "uncool." It just keeps rolling on like a threshing machine, cutting anyone who ignores it to pieces.

With that in mind, do you REALLY want to know why America has been so prosperous? Want to know why we're a superpower?

It's because of Judeo-Christian values, Western culture, a Puritan work ethic, patriotism, capitalism, small government, adherence to the Constitution, and a capability and willingness to use our military to decimate enemies of our country.

None of those things are being celebrated in songs by Lady Gaga, movies by James Cameron, or in women's studies courses at American colleges.

Do you want to know who has made America successful?

Ninety eight percent of the businesses, inventions, and great ideas that made America a cultural, economic, and military superpower came from old dead white guys of the sort who are sneered at on college campuses as bigoted, awful relics of bygone eras. That's ironic if you think about it because without those men the colleges where they're being sneered at wouldn't exist.

So much of our country is like that.

The only reason we have so much money to "redistribute" is because we spent so long devoted to capitalism. The only reason we feel so comfortable mocking Christianity is that we think a culture shaped by Christian morals will hold together anyway. We're become so confident that our culture will remain steeped in patriotism and Western values that we've come to believe we can allow an unlimited number of foreigners who don't share those values to enter our country illegally without changing anything.

Confidence is a good thing, but when it's coupled with a people who stop doing the things that make them successful, it becomes hubris.

We've forgotten that rich people and corporations can move out of the country, that people will change their behavior when it no longer benefits them, that no matter what our race, color, or creed, we all suffer if our culture becomes a corrupt sewer and that many great nations have been laid low when they stopped doing the things that made them successful. We've forgotten that we're one nation in a competitive world, full of other countries that yearn to see us trampled in the dust so they can have their day in the sun. We've forgotten that we're competing with workers in India, corporations from Britain, and with resource-hogging governments like China and Russia -- and guess what? They're all hungrier than we are because life has already taught them the hard way that you don't get participation trophies just for showing up.

We've forgotten not only how our country became successful, but the people who are making it successful.

We're successful because a lot of steady, responsible people do boring jobs that have to be done. It's the man who works 40 hours in his first job and another 20 hours a week at a part-time job so he can pay the bills for his wife and kids. It's the stay-at-home mom with spit-up on her blouse who has been on her feet for hours cleaning and taking care of the kids. It's the small businessman who worked 70 hours a week for peanuts over the last decade to get his business to the point where he can have people complain that he's not paying enough in taxes. It's the single mother who gives up partying every night to make sure her child is taken care of like he should be. It's the pastor who says something from the pulpit that will be controversial, but that his flock needs to hear. It's the cop who sweats through a half dozen encounters with drunk, drugged, and potentially violent creeps each night because he cares about keeping a neighborhood safe. It's a soldier sleeping in a tent far from home because he's doing his part to keep the peace. It's the couple who feels like they've achieved the American dream because they got married, bought a house, had two kids, and are putting enough money in their 401k to retire someday.

Those people don't get the respect they deserve because they're more concerned with doing their jobs, paying their bills, and making sure their kids get every advantage possible rather than yelling about "the patriarchy" or protesting the "oppression" of people who are asked to take a drug test to get their welfare benefits. No one is making any reality shows about people like them and if they do make it onto the silver screen, the Christian is a jerk, the dad is a buffoon, mom is a crabby Stepford wife, the southerner is a toothless redneck, the cop is crooked, the soldier is a mindless drone, the businessman is screwing everyone for profit and they're all living bland, oppressive lives waiting for some pampered pretty person to show up and teach them the error of their ways.

Hollywood, academia, and popular culture champion a world where snark has replaced wisdom, marriage isn't considered a lifetime commitment, where there's spirituality without God, where it's better to be silent than to risk offending someone, where people don't understand that everything is a trade-off, and where the more happy, successful and well-adjusted you are, the more likely it must be that you screwed someone else over to get that way.

Contrary to what you may hear from Jay-Z, Miley Cyrus, and your college professors, life is not about how many times you get laid, how much marijuana you smoke, and embracing trendy causes to impress your friends.

It's about working 10 times harder than you thought you'd have to in order to get half as far. It's about struggling through your twenties and working like a dog in your thirties to start to accumulate some money in your forties.
It's about trying to find a decent house in a nice neighborhood near a good school for your family. It's about taking more satisfaction in buying a gift for someone else than getting something for yourself. It's saying a prayer for a friend or family member who’s about to have an operation. It's about doing the right thing, not getting recognized for it and being fine with that because it was always about doing the right thing for you.

If that sounds frightening or depressing because it doesn't involve partying, getting blackout drunk and having sweaty sex in the alley behind a bar every few months, it's not. You can take a lot of pride in earning your keep, paying your own way, and doing your part to take care of yourself, your family and your country. It's also the sort of quiet lifestyle most successful Americans actually live as opposed to the funhouse mirror image of reality that's glorified in our popular culture.

One day, Millennials are likely to have a burden put on their shoulders almost as big as the ones the Greatest Generation carried, but they won't have the faith, the work ethic and the road-of-hard-knocks education gained from living through the Depression to carry them through. For their sake and the sake of our country, let's hope that enough of them have listened to their parents, their grandparents, and their churches instead of Hollywood, their favorite bands, and their college professors.

The bolded part is basically the conservative version of the American Dream, work your rear end off all day for no reward and never have any fun, unless of course you're one of the all-important "job creators" in which case you can do whatever the gently caress you want. The funny thing is that the people under 30 I know who are really wealthy and successful are all crazy partiers because apparently people like spending their large amounts of disposable income on fun things :monocle:.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

MaxxBot posted:

The bolded part is basically the conservative version of the American Dream, work your rear end off all day for no reward and never have any fun, unless of course you're one of the all-important "job creators" in which case you can do whatever the gently caress you want. The funny thing is that the people under 30 I know who are really wealthy and successful are all crazy partiers because apparently people like spending their large amounts of disposable income on fun things :monocle:.
You missed the golden paragraph:

a shithead posted:

We're successful because a lot of steady, responsible people do boring jobs that have to be done. It's the man who works 40 hours in his first job and another 20 hours a week at a part-time job so he can pay the bills for his wife and kids. It's the stay-at-home mom with spit-up on her blouse who has been on her feet for hours cleaning and taking care of the kids. It's the small businessman who worked 70 hours a week for peanuts over the last decade to get his business to the point where he can have people complain that he's not paying enough in taxes. It's the single mother who gives up partying every night to make sure her child is taken care of like he should be. It's the pastor who says something from the pulpit that will be controversial, but that his flock needs to hear. It's the cop who sweats through a half dozen encounters with drunk, drugged, and potentially violent creeps each night because he cares about keeping a neighborhood safe. It's a soldier sleeping in a tent far from home because he's doing his part to keep the peace. It's the couple who feels like they've achieved the American dream because they got married, bought a house, had two kids, and are putting enough money in their 401k to retire someday.
In other words: gently caress you to working women (especially mothers), gay people, people subjected to police harassment/intimidation, and so on. Also, I refuse to believe this wasn't originally published 40 years ago with different celebrity names, because holy poo poo how hard can you pine for a rose-tinted view of the 1950s.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

MaxxBot posted:

I am always amazed by the depth to which the protestant work ethic has sunk into the collective American psyche. Like, this guy writes this and thinks he's painting a picture of a desirable world. Working without pause through your young and healthy years, until you eventually die or become too old to work any longer. How is this something we've come to believe we actually want?

Like, in the 'CEO of America' thread, it's derailed into a discussion of AI and automation, and the question is 'How will all the people whose jobs are made obsolete by automation find new ones?' -- and I'm floored that we'd ask that. Why should they? Why do we want them to? How have we reached this place, culturally, where we cannot imagine a world without employment?

I mean, conservative shitheads acknowledge, on some level, that idleness is desirable; the investor class doesn't really work, in the protestant-work-ethic sense, to earn money. And that's the brass ring for conservatives, the ultimate goal of working your whole life: you might get that rich someday. Why is a world where that might actually be possible -- idleness, I mean -- so goddamn anathema to them?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

MaxxBot posted:

This guy is such an insufferable shithead, everything he writes goes into poe's law territory but this one is especially egregious.

Anyone who writes poo poo like that should have to itemize their time to prove he or she both worked as hard as claimed and that there is no idle time spent for recreation.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

MaxxBot posted:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Radish posted:

Anyone who writes poo poo like that should have to itemize their time to prove he or she both worked as hard as claimed and that there is no idle time spent for recreation.

He maintains some bottom tier right-wing news site and writes tons of incredibly lazy and poorly written articles, this one is actually an exception in that he actually bothered to arrange it into paragraphs rather than just listing a bunch of poo poo. He also looks like something out of goons.jpg, surely from a lack of time given all of that hard work.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

quote:

that no matter what our race, color, or creed, we all suffer if our culture becomes a corrupt sewer

I too share your concerns about the filthy hordes of Irishmen, their impenetrable Gaelic babble, sorcerous Romish religion, iborn drunkenness, and petulant rejection of Anglo-American culture.

EDIT:

quote:

Somehow I feel sweaty alley sex hasn't been a problem for him.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
It's not like celebrities like Lady Gaga and Jay-Z don't use their fame to raise awareness for social issues, like Gay rights, Police Brutality, and racial issues with their music.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Jay-Z entire discography is a love letter to the capitalist dream, he's richer than Mitt Romney and he defended the 1% during the Occupy protests while profiting off the movement. If he wasn't associated with the president and vague Democrat politics, Republicans would try and co-opt him as One Of The Good Ones at every opportunity.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

MaxxBot posted:

You know, it reminds me a lot of my dad, the whole 'Work until you are medically unable to work' part, and I respect that.

Then again, that's because he was working multiple jobs with lovely pay to raise three kids, along with my mom, whose work often took her out of state for months at a time and led to a separation when we moved to Kansas.

Even then, my childhood had a lot of bacon and bean soup, summer jobs and weeks without power because we missed the bills.

So, yeah, gently caress the idea that working yourself to death for scraps is a noble idea.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Americans waste a ton of words justifying acquisitive individualism as a value system, and as morally desirable, even as we are a mere 6 years separated from a definitive demonstration of its failure.

Also, read Piketty.

YeahWhatevah
Oct 28, 2013

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Somehow I feel sweaty alley sex hasn't been a problem for him.

That would go a ways to explain some of his issues, but I don't know, the "Young John Madden Look-Alike Club" gets all the ladies if what I've heard is true. :pervert:

I actually like the real Madden and all his goofball mannerisms. This guy is just another shilling goober that swallows the ultra-conservative kool-aid. Gotta keep those young folks merrily jumping in the trenches, busting rear end and giving no back talk, just so the aholes on top can get all the rewards. Talk about a pyramid scheme. And all that for (what he admits off the bat) likely less reward, and certainly a less secure future than the previous generation. Neo-feudalism is alive and well folks.

Hey, not saying life is meant to be easy, and I'll admit my life is cake compared just to what my parents dealt with as kids. I too think hard work should be praised and rewarded - just not 30 years* from now. Is it really worth the clusterfuck rat-race just to tread water?

* along with a metric fuckton of ifs and providings along the way.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
In which Megan McArdle disabuses feminists of their fantasies of not having to worry about rape.

A Dumbass posted:

The feminists who get angry when people point out the obvious risks of taking nude selfies on your phone or getting extremely intoxicated at a big party full of adolescent guys seem to be arguing that if the patriarchy went away, guys could all be culturally conditioned not to steal nude photographs or rape people, with the few sociopaths restrained by the much harsher penalties that would presumably be enacted once we end "rape culture" -- that there is some way, in other words, to make it perfectly safe for young women to get trashed at frat parties or take all the nude selfies their phones can hold.

Sorry feminists, your world of woman being safe to have fun at parties is an impossible utopia. You just have to identify and sever your relationships with all possible rapists. Also don't take sexy pictures.

Source

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Scare quotes on "rape culture" while basically describing frat parties as being a rape culture.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Won't someone think of the poor slaveholders??!!

Blood Cotton

The Economist posted:

American slavery
Blood cotton

How slaves built American capitalism
Sep 6th 2014 | From the print edition

The Half Has Never Been Told: Slavery and the Making of American Capitalism. By Edward Baptist. Basic Books; 498 pages; $35. Buy from Amazon.com

“FOR sale: a coloured girl, of very superior qualifications…a bright mulatto, fine figure, straight, black hair, and very black eyes; very neat and cleanly in her dress and person.” Such accounts of people being marketed like livestock punctuate Edward Baptist’s grim history of the business of slavery.

Although the import of African slaves into the United States was stopped in 1807, the country’s internal slave trade continued to prosper and expand for a long time afterwards. Right up until the outbreak of the civil war in 1861, the American-born children and grandchildren of enslaved Africans were bought cheap in Virginia and Maryland to be sold dear in private deals and public auctions to cotton planters in the deep South.

Tall men commanded higher prices than short ones. Women went for less than men. The best bids were for men aged 18 to 25 and for women aged 15 to 22. One slave recalled buyers passing up and down the lines at a Virginia slave auction, asking, “What can you do? Are you a good cook? Seamstress? Dairy maid?” and to the men, “Can you plough? Are you a blacksmith?” Slaves who gave surly answers risked a whipping from their masters.

Raw cotton was America’s most valuable export. It was grown and picked by black slaves. So Mr Baptist, an historian at Cornell University, is not being especially contentious when he says that America owed much of its early growth to the foreign exchange, cheaper raw materials and expanding markets provided by a slave-produced commodity. But he overstates his case when he dismisses “the traditional explanations” for America’s success: its individualistic culture, Puritanism, the lure of open land and high wages, Yankee ingenuity and government policies.

Take, for example, the astonishing increases he cites in both cotton productivity and cotton production. In 1860 a typical slave picked at least three times as much cotton a day as in 1800. In the 1850s cotton production in the southern states doubled to 4m bales and satisfied two-thirds of world consumption. By 1860 the four wealthiest states in the United States, ranked in terms of wealth per white person, were all southern: South Carolina, Mississippi, Louisiana and Georgia.

Mr Baptist cites the testimony of a few slaves to support his view that these rises in productivity were achieved by pickers being driven to work ever harder by a system of “calibrated pain”. The complication here was noted by Hugh Thomas in 1997 in his definitive history, “The Slave Trade”; an historian cannot know whether these few spokesmen adequately speak for all.

Another unexamined factor may also have contributed to rises in productivity. Slaves were valuable property, and much harder and, thanks to the decline in supply from Africa, costlier to replace than, say, the Irish peasants that the iron-masters imported into south Wales in the 19th century. Slave owners surely had a vested interest in keeping their “hands” ever fitter and stronger to pick more cotton. Some of the rise in productivity could have come from better treatment. Unlike Mr Thomas, Mr Baptist has not written an objective history of slavery. Almost all the blacks in his book are victims, almost all the whites villains. This is not history; it is advocacy.

From the print edition: Books and arts

Almost all the blacks victims almost all the whites villains

Maybe sometimes the slaveholders were nice to the living humans that they literally owned maybe you should have thought of that before you slandered the noble institution of slavery you cretin

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Internet Webguy posted:

Sorry feminists, your world of woman being safe to have fun at parties is an impossible utopia. You just have to identify and sever your relationships with all possible rapists.

This is so weird to me. A guy who waits until people at a party get drunk to start stealing phones or ipods or rifles through people's things is roundly condemned, and nobody goes "hey don't go to parties and get drunk if you don't want to be pickpocketed" because our expectations of respect for people's property don't go away just because the victim had a few. But a girl gets raped and suddenly "oh well swear off alcohol and social events forever and this won't happen!"

Ahahaha wow, is it still a dogwhistle if it's sounding a strong Concert A?

I love the complete rejection of evidence and testimonials with "Ah but did you get the opinion of every single slave? No? Oh well then some of them probably liked slavery" mixed with the usual Αustrian contempt for empirical facts ":wotwot:A slaveowner has an economic incentive to treat his slaves well to maximize his profit, because obviously mistreating slaves could never bring in a few extra bucks and also humans are perfectly rational utility-maximizing machines who would never beat or rape a slave for emotional reasons :downs:"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 5, 2014

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
America wasn't built on the brutality of slavery, it was built on the lure of "open land," which totally proves that America wasn't founded on brutality!

quote:

By 1860 the four wealthiest states in the United States, ranked in terms of wealth per white person

Also what the loving gently caress. They don't even count as 3/5 for this guy.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
There's nobody here!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
What about all the slaves we're not hearing the accounts of, eh? The Silent Majority if you will? Maybe they liked it, and got hot stew to keep their hands strong and flexible.

Fuckin' motherfuckin' Economist. It must have taken me a decade after high school to figure out that they are even crazier than Reason and just have better typography.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I for one welcome The Economists' condemnation of the evils of wage labour and look forward to their issue extolling the virtues of socialism.

Seriously though, slavers making perfectly valid arguments against wage labour will never not be amusing to me in a very dark sort of way.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The fact that you can publish that and it doesn't result in headlines saying "Guy defends slave owners WTF??" on news channels or papers pretty much disproves the concept of "political correctness" censuring conservative opinions.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

The real reason America is rich is because Puritans.

The best comment on that article is:

"Elie Weisel has not written an objective history of the Holocaust. Almost all the Jews in his book are victims, almost all the Nazis villains. This isn't history, it's advocacy."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Elie Weisel was just one voice. Have we heard from all eight million camp inmates? We musn't draw any conclusions as long as there might be someone out there who had a grand old time as a concentration camp inmate.

And anyway, the Jews, Slavs, and Roma were essential forced labor for German war industries, so the Nazis had every inventive to keep them healthy and strong if they wanted to win the war.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Radish posted:

The fact that you can publish that and it doesn't result in headlines saying "Guy defends slave owners WTF??" on news channels or papers pretty much disproves the concept of "political correctness" censuring conservative opinions.

Its gotten attention from certain outlets but a book review in the Economist is probably not going to get round the clock coverage from CNN.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Aw, would you look at that, the liberal PC police have claimed a new victim in their unceasining censorship purge by making the poor ol' Economist pull a review.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Haha, well that sure showed me.

It's still funny we have slaver apologia 150 years after the Civil War though.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

quote:

In our review of “The Half Has Never Been Told: Slavery and the Making of American Capitalism” by Edward Baptist, we said: “Mr Baptist has not written an objective history of slavery. Almost all the blacks in his book are victims, almost all the whites villains.” There has been widespread criticism of this, and rightly so.

They should have just left the entire review in the quotes, because it wasn't just that sentence people were criticizing. That review was hosed up from head to toe.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

VideoTapir posted:

They should have just left the entire review in the quotes, because it wasn't just that sentence people were criticizing. That review was hosed up from head to toe.

They link to the original review now and the entire thing is in quotes :roflolmao:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I'll give 'em credit, they didn't just take it down and hope it'd be forgotten.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Has that writer been fired/forced into slavery to teach him a lesson?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
They incentivized him to do better next time by giving him a raise.

Edit: Is there a way to figure out who wrote it? Get Anonymous on the case or something along those lines?

• Locked thread