Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Nick_326 posted:

This reminded me of some small controversy that went down last year, when some news site published a story that included a photo of a an 8-year-old with an iPad on the steps of his public housing development. I like the point the author made here:

Back on topic, with some context courtesy of this post in a thread on miscarriages of justice:

PBS recently aired a documentary on the case, and some guy started a petition to get Elizabeth Lederer (the case's prosecutor who, to my knowledge, has never apologized for her role) fired from Columbia Law School. Sounds understandable, right?

Jim Dwyer, a Pulitzer-winning journalist who appeared in the documentary and had written about how Lederer misrepresented evidence, somehow has the loving gall to make this staggering false equivalency:

Yes, convicting a group of people for a crime they didn't commit is the same as trying to hold a public official accountable for poo poo she actually did.

There are people who are in prison solely for marijuana possession. Countless people in prison are there because they were judged on single moments.

This is true. Just last month I got several people convicted for rape by misleading everyone, which allowed the real rapist to continue going around raping other people. WHOOPSY DAISY.

And that means nobody should face any consequences for this travesty. Got it.

Ta-Nehisi Coates responds to this, and is golden:

This sort of thing makes me wonder just how many sociopaths become prosecuting authorities since it seems we constantly hear these stories where they get people convicted knowing full well or at least have to reasonably suspect that they are getting the wrong person. As in this case then going off to a career of teaching others with no ramifications, legal or otherwise for egregiously unethical behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's actually the opposite where elected political leaders desperately try to not offend him and mitigate his terrible statements and grovel for forgiveness if they talk out of turn.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-03-05/opinions/35446398_1_insulting-word-choices-sandra-fluke-rush-limbaugh
http://www.alternet.org/story/129862/top_republican%27s_groveling_apology_to_rush_limbaugh_is_a_media_disaster

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I really appreciate how that article infers that due to "corrupt civil-right leaders" virtually every young black person is predisposed to violence and thus should to be assumed to be the aggressor in any self defense case.

Pretty much every one of these editorials moaning about how unfair it is that people complain about racism bend over backwards to be as racist as possible.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Saying that a percentage of unemployment is a requirement for society to work but then complaining about unemployed people getting benefits is all kinds of evil.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm almost impressed that conservatism so shamelessly parades constant spirituality at the same time as mindless consumerism at the expense of spending time with family or eating something not bought at a fast food restaurant.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I love how the poor and middle class people have it so great since they have access to refrigerators and tv but when rich people are asked to pay more in taxes, suddenly it's asking them for a pound of their flesh that they would die without.

It's similar to how low wages and hunger are a motivator to get poor people to work to better themselves, but the ONLY way to get top CEO talent is huge bonuses after they repeatedly fail.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 11, 2013

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Walter posted:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/education/2014/03/college_isn_t_for_everyone_let_s_stop_pretending_it_is.html

Christ, this is bad. Having worked in college advising, I tend to agree that college is not necessarily the best track for everyone. But that is where my agreement with the author of this turd ends. Rather than suggesting some kind of solution, the article basically seems to just say, "Well, have fun being poor and uneducated, kids."

"Michael J. Petrilli is executive vice president of the Thomas B. Fordham Institute, research fellow at the Hoover Institution"

That's all you need to know really.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Oops wrong thread.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 2, 2014

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

MaxxBot posted:

Good to see the GOP is reaching out to hip, cool youngsters to update their image.

http://townhall.com/columnists/dustinsiggins/2014/06/13/the-sexual-humor-in-not-having-sex-n1850420/page/full

I guess simply trying to force people to stop having sex isn't going far enough for the GOP now, they have to force you to stop even talking about it. I also love how this guy goes out of his way to inform everyone that he's a virgin, but I bet if I told him I was gay he would say that's a private matter and that I shouldn't shove it in his face.

A lot of comments in that article boil down to "it's not fair that when I make my sexual preference to be abstinent public, people make fun of me!" which is pretty obviously hypocritical of right wing Christians.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Even gold-star gays don't go around telling women at the gym to shut up about sex because the female body makes them uncomfortable; nor make a big show of pretending as hard as possible not to get any heterosexual sex joke ever because they've never experienced such a thing.

I love that he thinks being a virgin is what scandalizes people instead of the fact that he's loudly going up to everyone and demanding they never mention ladyparts in public ever again.

It just more examples of "persecution" against Right Wing is really just when they aren't able to persecute or force their values on others.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Berke Negri posted:

"Ahem, m'ladies, please do not make jokes I do not understand for while I may appear on the outside to be an adult to you, I am actually a child.

You see, I was at this carnival in Jersey and there was this gypsy fortune teller machine and..."

Even that kid wasn't a prude these these guys.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's just a wordier version of the tools that call up CSPAN to say "I used to be a Democrat but after [Democrat politician] voted for [thing that democrats have historically been for] I will NEVER VOTE FOR THEM AGAIN!" I don't know who that's supposed to fool; even when I was drinking the conservative kool-aide in high school I knew that was bullshit.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 25, 2014

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

MaxxBot posted:

This guy is such an insufferable shithead, everything he writes goes into poe's law territory but this one is especially egregious.

http://townhall.com/columnists/john...t-life-n1883160

The bolded part is basically the conservative version of the American Dream, work your rear end off all day for no reward and never have any fun, unless of course you're one of the all-important "job creators" in which case you can do whatever the gently caress you want. The funny thing is that the people under 30 I know who are really wealthy and successful are all crazy partiers because apparently people like spending their large amounts of disposable income on fun things :monocle:.

Anyone who writes poo poo like that should have to itemize their time to prove he or she both worked as hard as claimed and that there is no idle time spent for recreation.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The fact that you can publish that and it doesn't result in headlines saying "Guy defends slave owners WTF??" on news channels or papers pretty much disproves the concept of "political correctness" censuring conservative opinions.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Haha, well that sure showed me.

It's still funny we have slaver apologia 150 years after the Civil War though.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

icantfindaname posted:

The problem with anime in my experience is just Japan itself. Even the stuff that has some artistic merit and that an adult might not be ashamed to watch has the occasional bout of hilarious sexism. I think Miyazaki is just a gross anomaly unfortunately

I recently decided to see what was up with the latest Metal Gear; I forgot about the series after finishing 4. The series has always been moderately sexist but really Quiet seems to just be the developers letting it all hang out.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Seriously it's the same with Martin vs Lion and the same sort of ":qq: why aren't black people complaining when this white kid got murdered by black people???" Because no one went through Lion's facebook to figure out why he deserved to be murdered, the people that did it were quickly arrested and went to jail, and no one tried to claim he attacked them first since obviously it was self defense.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

You could almost say he was responsible for his own death. (it feels dirty to even joke about that)

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

My favorite part of this is how very, very carefully he avoids actually mentioning what happened in 2008 and why.

Yeah sometimes these guys are totally smelling their own farts but with articles like that you know he's aware of the fact that he's writing cover for criminals.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If I was a FYGM stem grad I would be encouraging everyone to go into the humanities in order to lower future job competition.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The New York Times (and to a lesser extent the Washington Post) for being the most liberal paper ever, is really the one that always reeks of Serious People making the Serious Decisions and I really hate them for it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm really glad I hate voted McAuliffe to spite the Cooch and not just because that it would have been living nightmare. He's been a lot better than I would have thought.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Orange Devil posted:

*Literally Plato complaining about kids these days*

Yeah that article was peak KIDS THESE DAYS but most of the comments were pretty good. There's a guy I know that takes any opportunity to complain about how Millennials are all entitled, when he was entering the work force everyone knew their place and worked hard to get ahead and didn't want everything handed to them. I really want to just tell him he's not old enough to have forgotten his generation grew up in what old people at the time called the Me Decade but it isn't worth it since saying that kids these days aren't lazy is somehow implying that other generations aren't special and insults them. A lot of people are way too young to have forgotten what it's like to be under 30.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's always "funny" when people pull the "just do exactly what they say and complain later" bullshit. Regardless of the obvious issue that often doing exactly what you are told results in beatings or death anyway, in a country where police can murder children in broad daylight and get away with it, are people concerned with police abuse supposed to think that complaining isn't going to result in nothing but more police abuse?

I mean I know that that shitbird isn't actually giving advice to people and really dog-whistling to police supporters and racists in general to signal that he "gets it" and is totally down with state oppression of undesirables but it's still irritating in that specific way as well.

Ratoslov posted:

If someone wrote a movie about criminal justice reform in Minnesota and this guy was the antagonist, critics would lambaste the film for making him look like a cartoon character.

Yeah he looks exactly like the stereotypical military/spy general from a movie that you KNOW is going to actually have been bad all along and then it turns out yeah he was evil the entire time.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 9, 2016

• Locked thread