Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So my wife went in the basement this morning and found a pipe leaking that had already created a puddle on the floor, and I immediately leapt to action to call one of the local plumbing services. Being in Central PA, apparently they were all low on staff because they were out for hunting season (???) and nobody would be able to show up for a couple of days at least. It was then that I begrudgingly dialed a number that's been burned into my brain since I moved here 4 years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ8etLD72Cc

You win this round, lovely commercials. There's a whole goddamned series of them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Kaizoku posted:

I guess the reason you dislike them is pretty much the exact reason I like them. That's fair.

No, it's definitely ramming home how asinine the phrases are. And I can sadly say, there isn't a term in that ad that I don't hear said in earnest at least once a week. But hey, it's better than that valley girl poo poo that was going on twenty years ago.

I agree. While other commercials in the series may be less obvious, just one look at their faces (especially Jones's) makes it pretty clear how disgusted they are with these awful awful phrases.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The Fast and the Furious commercials advertising how they'll donate 10% of their proceeds from sales to Paul Walker's fund seems like a pretty shameless cash grab to me.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Pretty much every "buy our product and we'll give money to [charity name here]" is a shameless cash grab. Remember all the [red] stuff from a few years back? If I remember right, that was actually worse for AIDS fundraising.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Remember from a few years ago that awful series of ads where it had a horrible country song about being a Truck Man? Well in Indiana, on of the local car companies decided to make their own version of the song and it's horrible. I don't think it's online, so I can't link it through.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
Also the "buy pink everything for breast cancer!" nonsense from Susan G. Komen. Most of the money goes to their marketing department which goes to making more pink products which sends money to the marketing department which goes to...

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Women's Rights? posted:

Also the "buy pink everything for breast cancer!" nonsense from Susan G. Komen. Most of the money goes to their marketing department which goes to making more pink products which sends money to the marketing department which goes to...

...their legal department, to sue any other organization that might have a reference to "a cure" or "the cure" in their name.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Meltathon posted:

Pretty much every "buy our product and we'll give money to [charity name here]" is a shameless cash grab. Remember all the [red] stuff from a few years back? If I remember right, that was actually worse for AIDS fundraising.

And all the NFL stuff:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Meltathon posted:

Yep, because instead of giving to charity people just buy the pink/red version of whatever they were going to buy anyway, and call it good.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
The worst I've seen was a Bra company that donated 10 whole cents from every purchase!

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Yeah, the Susan G. Komen foundation sued a prostate cancer foundation for using the "for the cure" slogan. It's just insane at this point.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

There's this Windows phone ad I've been seeing a lot on Hulu, where a woman talks about the camera feature being really important to her. It's your standard phone ad right up until the end where she says "I dunno, maybe just see things differently" in the smuggest way possible. I can only imagine advertisers were trying to get that lucrative "self-absorbed rear end in a top hat" market.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

There's this Windows phone ad I've been seeing a lot on Hulu, where a woman talks about the camera feature being really important to her. It's your standard phone ad right up until the end where she says "I dunno, maybe just see things differently" in the smuggest way possible. I can only imagine advertisers were trying to get that lucrative "self-absorbed rear end in a top hat" market.

This is the one I was talking about - the whole reason she wants the camera is that she spends her entire life taking pictures of her boyfriend. She's so codependent that she's buying a phone based on its ability to photograph her boyfriend.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I always feel like a lot of those promotions where they are like "we'll donate money for EVERY _____ YOU BUY in the month of Whatever up to $10,000" just decide on a number they are comfortable with that they know they would hit anyway whether they were doing a promotion or not.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ILL ON PZONES posted:

Sometimes it feels like commercials are written by professional human being impersonators for people that don't exist.

People actually say these things :ssh:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Timett posted:

I always feel like a lot of those promotions where they are like "we'll donate money for EVERY _____ YOU BUY in the month of Whatever up to $10,000" just decide on a number they are comfortable with that they know they would hit anyway whether they were doing a promotion or not.

Corporations can only deduct a certain amount of money per year towards charitable causes without still being taxed on revenue. These donations help them, and not just for PR.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

raditts posted:

Being in Central PA, apparently they were all low on staff because they were out for hunting season (???)

Well, yeah, that's when a lot of guys take their vacation. I had a car with a November inspection. If I didn't do it at the beginning of the month, it wasn't happening until December.

I also remember when I was younger and things were more regional than they are now. Back before "Black Friday" had percolated into all aspects of everywhere, Pennsylvania had "Deer Widow Sales" the first day of buck season.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Two words man: Liam Neisson.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

raditts posted:

It was then that I begrudgingly dialed a number that's been burned into my brain since I moved here 4 years ago...

For an actual advertising success story (not that bullshit "you're talking about it! they won!" stuff), when a rock hit my windshield a couple years ago I was like "oh I'll call Safelite" because I heard their drat jingle on the radio a ton of times. And here's a service that people need really infrequently, if ever.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ElwoodCuse posted:

For an actual advertising success story (not that bullshit "you're talking about it! they won!" stuff), when a rock hit my windshield a couple years ago I was like "oh I'll call Safelite" because I heard their drat jingle on the radio a ton of times. And here's a service that people need really infrequently, if ever.

Safelite were the guys I seeked out quotes from when hail damage completely smashed my rear window and windshield.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ElwoodCuse posted:

1-800-54-GIANT for me.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Toffile posted:

1-800-54-GIANT for me.

EIGHT HUNDRED FIVE EIGHT EIGHT TWO THREE HUNDRED... EMPIRE... today! :suicide:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
No jingle can match One Eight Seven Seven Kars 4 Kids, KAY EH ARR ESS KARS 4 KIDS ONE EIGHT SEVEN SEVEN KARS 4 KIDS, DONATE YOUR CAR TODAY.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Edit: Wrong thread.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Retail Slave posted:

EIGHT HUNDRED FIVE EIGHT EIGHT TWO THREE HUNDRED... EMPIRE... today! :suicide:

That man will live on in CGI form for another 40 years until people finally forget that he was once a living person.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

SpookyLizard posted:

No jingle can match One Eight Seven Seven Kars 4 Kids, KAY EH ARR ESS KARS 4 KIDS ONE EIGHT SEVEN SEVEN KARS 4 KIDS, DONATE YOUR CAR TODAY.

1-800 Victim 2 comes close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KfRcxLPCIA

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

I was sort of expecting the one with the awful animated squirrel.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
If I ever slip in peepee like Lucky in king of the hill did a commercial song will help me call the local heavy hitter don't hesitate, dial 7 2 8 8 8 8 8.

Hope he doesn't get me a structured-settlement but if so there's a song with a cure for that too.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Here in western/upstate NY we have a law firm called Cellino & Barnes. For the past 15 years or so they had a jingle which was just them singing their phone number, "Eight five four, twen-ty twenty". They recently changed their phone number to 888-8888 but they didnt change the beat of the jingle at all, so the song is awkward because its just a bunch of eights.

Not really annoying to most I imagine, but it bugs the crap out of me.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Cage posted:

Here in western/upstate NY we have a law firm called Cellino & Barnes. For the past 15 years or so they had a jingle which was just them singing their phone number, "Eight five four, twen-ty twenty". They recently changed their phone number to 888-8888 but they didnt change the beat of the jingle at all, so the song is awkward because its just a bunch of eights.

the worst thing about these commercials is that on the radio they always, always buy two spots in a row, so you hear the hilariously bad jingle twice in a row. "DON'T WAIT! CALL 8!"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Cage posted:

I'm pretty sure the best part is that one of the guys was balding and eventually started wearing a giant cowboy hat to hide it.

edit:

Damnit, the dude is bald, but I was thinking of Binder & Binder.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 7, 2013

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
The number of lawyers who wear cowboy hats in their commercials is both surprising and somewhat disturbing

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Meltathon posted:

That man will live on in CGI form for another 40 years until people finally forget that he was once a living person.

Archaeologists of the future will trace the artistic tableau of "Empire Carpet Man" through centuries of political turmoil and change, using it as a textbook example of the advancement of art techniques throughout the centuries.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Vicas posted:

The number of lawyers who wear cowboy hats in their commercials is both surprising and somewhat disturbing
Probably my favorite is Binder and Binder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p6Jp71C6XE

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
e: .

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 9, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVur1V0qPrw

Gives me an excuse to post this.

God Bless the Oswalt Brothers!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Vicas posted:

the worst thing about these commercials is that on the radio they always, always buy two spots in a row, so you hear the hilariously bad jingle twice in a row. "DON'T WAIT! CALL 8!"

Yeah lately I've been hearing this mcdonalds commercial twice in a row on the radio and it annoys the poo poo out of me. It's all about MORE MORE MORE and says something like "more is the arch enemy of less" and other things about a loving sandwich at a fast food restaurant and it's just the fattest American commercial ever.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Cage posted:

Is that like a popular ambulance chaser thing to do? We've got one of those with an 888-8888 number too.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

WUN ATE HUNDREAD FAVE THREE OH SEVUUN SIX SIX FAVE!! HAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW!

Jerry Clower, I would kill you for permanently burning that number into my skull if you weren't already dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Can I say I hate these Halos ads, not because of the ads themselves, but because I'm tired of these seedless citrus that are "for kids only." Raise your kids to eat normal fruit; it's delicious!

I can't remember what the other one is named, but the packaging looks quite similar, and it's been around for at least 2 years.

Fake edit: Cuties, they're called Cuties.