Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

I. M. Gei posted:

I actually like the emu ad. It’s better than most of the other stuff Liberty Mutual has put out recently. Like the cyclist with his giant weird gross fucky rear end calves. :gonk:

It's all been downhill for Liberty Mutual ever since the "Brad" commercial which was sort of cute on its own. The premises have been getting dumber, like mega calves and reporter lady, and the green screen Statue of Liberty background somehow even sloppier in newer iterations. The leaking helium truck "fender bender" commercial is also terrible just because it's on all the time on all channels everywhere but I can't remember which company is responsible for it.

Also bad: Toyota's retrying to establish their own version of Progressive's Flo with that wrestling announcer commercial. Even though it's old now Nissan's advertising tie-in with the Star Wars movies was a real head scratcher at the time. Washington State Lotto's ad campaign with the lady using her winnings to go swimming in a pool of ranch dressing :barf: T-mobile's and Metro PCS' zero effort ads that are probably slapped together in batches by interns using Powerpoint and Flash.

Good ads: Uh... Can't think of any in recent memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Walmart's increasingly desperate flails against the oncoming Ice King embodied by Amazon are pretty funny. They played super dirty to get where they are and now an encroaching enemy that can play dirtier and harder than their imagination is even capable of fathoming comes for them.

What's Sears up to these days? I might need air conditioning. Should I call now?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

A Comcast cable box crashing in the middle of one of their self promoting Xfinity ads that completely waste Amy Poehler on tired old Plugger-level gags is just so peak Comcast it's painful.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

I remember Truth.org ads from the mid-oughts missing the mark by thousands of miles because they put being crass/gross for shock above making sensible and logical points about smoking being bad. Looks like after around ten years history repeats itself but in an even dumber way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBmw_tG4hew

What 16-20 year old is gonna look at this poo poo and not smoke/vape? On one hand it apes an entire show and animation style that the demographic is unfamiliar with, and on the other it insults their intelligence by being clumsily cloying about what "eggplant" means. Who made this? Dana Carvey's Church Lady after she told the pastor, "Oh boy I'll get those millenials this time!"?

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 13, 2019

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Parachute posted:

they may have been gross, but studies showed that they stopped roughly half a million kids from starting smoking within the first 2 years of it existence so i'd call that a giant win for everyone

Well... Okay then. That's pretty great.

So pardon me while I maintain the tradition of being "Internet Right" by saying: I, a Joe Schmoe from off the street with no knowledge of video production while also posting on an Internet forum, could produce a better ad that stopped 500,001.00 kids from smoking.

Ah yeah, Internet Right, the best right. Need a cigarette after being that Internet Right.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Those pistachio commercials with the CGI elephant that wanders around being an unrepentant rear end in a top hat in public.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Nuclear war is too good of an end for us.

In other news Trivago guy ate a DWI so let that color the continuing ads in which his unkempt rear end shows up.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Majorian posted:

Dear annoying kids in the "BIG! BIGGER!!!" Volkswagen ad: gently caress you all.

I imagine this ad in a steel cage death match with that Fiji water ad with similar cloying child voice over and whichever ad can get their arm up their own rear end and through their mouth to punch the other guy first wins the pretension award. Although the VW one has an extra layer of awful because of Dieselgate and the ad seems to suggest the company didn't learn anything other than marketing focus groups will fix the evil they did.

Regarding "what's a computer" thankfully Mahk already weighed in on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCb-WcxO5SU&t=50s

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

The Modern Leper posted:

[Off-key ADR]VALERIIIE! VALERIE!![/Off-key ADR]

This is probably the most annoying commercial on television right now. It's so cringey and false. Plus, there are like 20 songs that go "Valerie," including the original song that Amy Winehouse covered.

It's a stupid commercial without a clear message but oh man the horrible ADR is so off putting because it sticks out so badly. As far as the message I assume the commercial is trying to push Alexa to millennials/gen Zers who need a toy to keep their pet elders entertained so they don't need to hang around so much. At the end of the commercial the poor old guy went full Stockholm on the Valerie song in a bid to keep the grandson around for a bit longer :smith:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

A new Audi commercial is popping up that is just pure distilled automotive superstition from the last 25 years or so concentrated into a fine paste and smeared all over this awful ad copy: Working professional type lady driving an Audi approaches a closed point in the mountain road that is obviously impassable because it's torn up, occupied with many active construction workers and machines, with one construction worker watching the approaching Karen archetype. Both the lady and the token construction worker start having an internal monologue exchange:

Construction Guy :manning:: "The road is closed, you aren't making it through."
Karen: "The road is closed? :smug: Really?"
:manning: : "Nope, not going through."
Karen: "I drove through a winter storm once!"
:manning: : "Definitely. Not. Going. Through."
Karen *with I want to speak to your manager face and tone*: "Then I guess I'll have to make my own road."

The the narrator says some bologna about Audi's mystical all wheel drive system. In reality AWD doesn't empower the driver to ignore all common sense during hazardous driving conditions like some sort of blessed talisman of divine protection but it does empower the driver to be an rear end in a top hat.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Here's the commercial in question: https://www.ispot.tv/ad/o_hL/audi-q5-road-closed-t1

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

I wasn't questioning the legality of the ad, just that it's a crazy level of disingenuous about the implied ability of AWD systems. Quattro is magic! That Kia ad isn't much better.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

To coconut or not to coconut doesn't matter: Butterfinger is the king of overrated candy bars. It breaks into pieces of low grade chocolate and sticky orange flakes on its own in the package making each one a mess before you get to it. If that isn't enough then exposure to the slightest bit of moisture turns it into a material that slots in just below diamond on the Mohr scale of hardness. It's only around in 2019 because of left over stale inertia from their Simpsons marketing tie from like 15 years ago.

Whatchamacallit is the best candy bar. :colbert:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

I can just see the ad pitch going like: "In order to synergize our innovative products with the current market trends and generate sales momentum we must align our advertisements with techniques that will form an emotional connection with our potential consumer partners."

And in that meeting not one head was out of any rear end to remind everyone, "We sell closet organizers and accessories." before throwing the ad executive out the window.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

While ya'll argue about All State, Progressive, and Farmers the real bad guy is getting away: Geico. Over fifteen years of trash on all forms of media. They're the middle aged "everyone at the office says I should do stand up" dad so convinced of their own greatness they even did an ad campaign that was nothing but call backs to their previous ads.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

This was the last winter sales luxury car commercial I can remember that was good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIWXXCRswus

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Parachute posted:

yeah yeah now show the one with the smug person who bought a car for themselves/their family(?) for christmas(?) instead of a bunch of random smaller stuff but the commercial is actually about dickwaving that you "saved more" by buying a new car.

maybe one reason chevy/gmc is constantly a joke is that they spend their budget on bad commercials instead of making cars people want to buy

Hey now, part of their spending goes to J.D. Power & Associates to invent niche awards for them to "win" and then advertise about.

:smug: "Yuuup, that's my fancy new GMC Yukon! It won the J.D. Power award for Highest Subjective Quality on Wednesdays Between 5,000 and 5,002 Miles While Mercury Is In Retrograde award!" while a tow truck is busy loading it onto the flatbed because it died on the highway.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

You want a bad Peloton ad? Watch this crap.

https://youtu.be/pShKu2icEYw

They’re literally watching a video compilation of her selfie vids while riding the bike. It is unfathomably dumb.

This ad is some next level awful. It is so universally hated it's basically become a meme and may have contributed to stock price loses for Peloton:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/04/peloton-says-its-disappointed-in-how-some-have-misinterpreted-ad.html

quote:

Peloton has responded to a massive amount of criticism over one of its holiday ads.

The maker of high-end at-home fitness equipment last month rolled out a holiday ad that implores viewers to “give the gift of Peloton,” which had onlookers complaining about what they saw as undertones of sexism and classism in the ad. Though the ad first ran on Nov. 4, according to iSpot.tv, the commercial more recently went viral on Twitter.

“We constantly hear from our members how their lives have been meaningfully and positively impacted after purchasing or being gifted a Peloton Bike or Tread, often in ways that surprise them,” a company spokesperson said in an email. “Our holiday spot was created to celebrate that fitness and wellness journey. While we’re disappointed in how some have misinterpreted this commercial, we are encouraged by — and grateful for — the outpouring of support we’ve received from those who understand what we were trying to communicate.”

Accompanying its statement, Peloton sent CNBC PDF documents of positive emails it had received about the ad, from which last names and email addresses were redacted, as well as one Facebook post in support of the spot.

The company’s shares went negative shortly after CNBC published the statement. The stock was down as much as 6% midafternoon Wednesday. It ended the day down 1.55%.

The CNBC article pictures the three supporting e-mails and one Facebook post that Peloton cites as an "outpouring of support." But one of those e-mails also starts with:

quote:

Hello, I just wanted to say that I think all these people hating on your ad are ridiculous. It's a bunch of nonsense. My wife and I love your ad and if we could afford one would absolutely buy one ourselves.

:allears:

If Peloton marketing manufactured these e-mails this one must've been done by a grumpy unpaid intern. Amazing.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 5, 2019

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Timby posted:

This is correct. They also lose almost all of their functionality if you don't pay 40 bucks a month for the live and on-demand video workouts.

This is the part of it I just don't get. Just put on some music and pedal! Why the gently caress do you need a video screen there to watch some sweaty rear end in a top hat yell at you for $40/month?

Peloton isn't quite at Juicero levels of stupidity but holy hell are they trying.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

JAMOOOL posted:

lol I use TurboTax and they eat $89.99 of my return every year and I let them because I'm lazy and they have my info already

there's a number of ads I dislike right now but a lot of them I can't even remember what they're trying to sell so I'll just mention the "we *do it* EVERY night" ad that winds up being about....running your dishwasher

Tell TurboTax (Intuit) to eat a fat one: They spent money to fight free tax filing options. I've been using TaxAct for the last few years and while it's not as refined as TurboTax it works well enough and you won't be supporting assholes.

As for the topic: I don't what what a Quibi is, but it needs to gently caress off.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

I got rid of cable and only see the occasional ad via YouTube on Roku devices. Can't think of any recently that made me want to throw something at the TV so... good? The Mercedes Benz deer nose thing was pretty bad but luxury car commercials have always been crimes against all senses and that one wasn't really notable above others.

But on the podcast side of things does Maximum Fun just let any moron with a microphone get a podcast? Some of those ads are so twee-as-cringe I want to drive my car off the road and die.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Why is this hosed up grill brush beard with janky teeth smugging at me so much?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJgvnpoqdfY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Alright, sorry. I was not familiar with the guy but the commercials are still bad but just in a sort of boring pedestrian way.

Let's all remember the base reason why this thread is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rqZZgVxnCk

Or was it the Folgers incest ad or the Sunsetters thing? Wait it's 2021? Whoa, whoa, who was president?

Remember Sears will be here to back it up!

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 4, 2021