Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Part-Time Robot posted:

I want to know which person on the Kohl's advertising team decided "you know that Rebecca Black song that made such a fuss on the internet? Let's rewrite it and use it for our Black Friday commercials!" Because they deserve a demotion.

I came looking for this thread because of that loving commercial. I loathe the Target ones, and it's like the people at Kohls told their ad team that they wanted target, but 100x worse.

E:

CBJSprague24 posted:

Not that I hate it, but it just keeps coming back: How old is the Hershey's bell choir Christmas commercial?

And for that matter, what other long-lived Christmas commercials are out there? I swear I saw the Liz Taylor White Diamonds ad last winter that looked like it was fresh out of 1993.

I love the Hershey's one. It's so simple, no annoying voices or jingles. Along with the ones already mentioned, Corona brings back their commercial each year, the one with the lights on the palm trees. Another simple one.

The other one I'm really hating right now is the TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Home Goods one, where people are running through the mall singing about how much better the stores outside the mall are for shopping. Why would someone bring bags from other places into the mall? Why would a bunch of people happy start running with those weird people? It's so stupid.

SteveVizsla fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

:siren: Jenny From The Block shot her Fiat commercial in LA! A body double does the few shots that had to be shot in NYC, because Lopez refused to go to the actual Bronx to shoot the commercial.

The Smoking Gun's report.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

McSpanky posted:

The Kohl's "Black Friday" ad makes me want to burn the entire concept of Black Friday to the ground. Well, more than I already did.

I'd be fine if it was still just black friday, but now there's "cyber monday!" :barf: and "small business saturday!". The hype around black friday has gotten so absurd over the last decade thanks to the internet, 9/11, and the economy.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

The commercial has been around for over a year now, it's usually on late at night. My local walgreens just started stocking them, right next to the PajamaJeans.

Atasi posted:

but would pick up an injured cat on the side of the road.

You'd be surprised how few people actually would :(

E: ASPCA commercial came on right as I hit post.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

DJExile posted:

E: Holy poo poo

What the gently caress did I just watch, and how the hell is it a commercial for a fast food joint?

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

The Will Ferrell commercials make me think the beer is so horrible, people are tossing unopened cans in the river.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Chrysler got sued over the Jenny From The Block commercial.

quote:

The artists behind a copyrighted mural in the Bronx sued the automaker for using the image without their permission, but The New York Times now reports that the two parties have settled their differences out of court. Neither side is disclosing the details of the settlement at this time, but Fiat and artists TATS Cru have conveniently announced a new collaboration.

Fiat will provide the artists with a 500 to be painted and then auctioned off at a later date for charity, though no one is saying whether the group received any compensation for the use of its artwork in the Jennifer Lopez ad.

I don't really understand this one. How do you go about copyrighting a giant mural in an urban area, to the extent that no one is allowed to photograph or record video of it without permission or compensation?

More fun from the commercial: the car broke down during filming.

At least Fiat's next commercial has to be better.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Sash! posted:

Its protected like any other work visible from a public space. FedEx would be pissed if you filmed a commercial for something that wasn't FedEx outside a FedEx Office and it was in your commercial.

That makes sense. I guess it's just so commonplace to see other stores, buildings, etc. in commercials/tv/movies that I didn't put much thought in to the production company having to get permission from all of them. Should have filmed from the other side of the street, I guess.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

The Pam Spray commercial with the talking muffins makes me so angry. There's talking food, and then there's this. At least with ones like Burger King's talking burgers, the parents are the larger size and the kid is the junior burger whatever, which makes a shred of sense. These muffins are both regular looking muffins. The daughter says she told the dad one to use Pam, which means she talking to him when he was still... what? Muffin mix? Flour? Was she a muffin while he was still muffin sperm, or were they both bits of flour and she went into the second batch? How would muffin sperm have any choice in what kind of spray was used? Why did this woman use Pam spray with one set of muffins, but some other form when making the dad muffin's batch? Nothing about it even slightly makes sense.

DJExile posted:

Also holy lol Jennifer Lopez's "elegance is hard" spot

You know, I actually like the look of the Fiats. But like hell would I ever buy one after their commercials.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

HoveringCheesecake posted:

She wasn't in NYC for the commercial. They used a body double for the NYC shots. The scenes that actually show her were filmed in Los Angeles.

Yes, she couldn't even be bothered to fly to NYC to film a commercial that is about how loving proud she is to be from The Bronx.

Also, I heard that the car broke down during filming. I dunno if that is true, but I hope it is.

That was all for the first commercial, and yes, it really did break down, there's photos and everything. I don't know if they shot them both at the same time.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

According to a bunch of articles I've read, Bieber's perfume is THE gift for any female over the age of, like, 6. It's been flying off shelves.

:suicide:

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

What made TurboTax think their new commercial is any good? If you want to compare your product to something that always works and helps efficiency, GPS isn't the one to compare it to. Everyone knows multiple people who have stories about GPS loving them up, even if they themselves haven't experienced it. Add in the popular news stories of people getting stuck in the snow for days because of their gps sending them through an off-the-beaten-path road, driving off cliffs, onto train tracks, and all sorts of other things GPS have done. There's no way I'd want a tax service that works like a GPS.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Cracked has a relevant article today, Absurd situations that only happen in food commercials.

6. Fast food as party treat
5. Finding happiness in a can of soup
4. The delivery or DiGiorno mystery
3. Yogurt parties
2. Light beer as the ultimate test of manliness
1. Gourmet chefs working in fast food kitchens

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

There's a new commercial for those sleazy bullshit commerative coins and they've hit a new low--the 9/11 and combination "we killed osama bin laden" coin that also comes with a pile of poo poo that makes the manual to a Call of Duty game look like a David McCollough book.

Oh come on, you're going to bring it up and not mention it's called the JUSTICE COIN?

For the low price of $19.95, you get:
- Gold Justice coin
- BONUS Silver Justice coin
- BONUS 2 acrylic capsules to keep them in
- BONUS 2 certificates of authenticity
- BONUS US Navy SEAL Creed

CALL NOW and you also get:
- Military Briefing Pack
- Gold Lapel Pin
Just pay $10 more in s&h!

I have no idea all of that stupid poo poo comes to $260. Most of it you can print off wikipedia or get on ebay for a couple of cents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

:eng101: Italian greyhound, not a greyhound. Greyhounds are way bigger than any of those other dogs. 13" tall, compared to 30" greyhound.

I thought the commercial was awesome, because it has a vizsla in it, until I discovered VW/Lucas Films stole the Italian greyhound idea. Watching it, I thought the dog was Bones Mello, the original At-At dog, who's really popular on the internet.

Boo on stealing ideas, especially when the original put so much time and effort into making an awesome thing happen.