Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Something Positive
Jan 10, 2010

MOTHER MOTHER MOTHER MOTHER MOTHER MOTHER MOTHERMOTHERMOTHER MOOOOTTTHHHEEERRRR
I saw the worst goddamn commericial today. It might even beat out the :stare: inducing ASPCA commercials. It's a PSA about the dangers of children drowning and was framed like a home video. You don't see the drowning happen, it's just off camera, but you hear the parents realize their kid is under the water and blue. And then you hear them jump in and drag him out. And then you hear them sobbing and trying to wake him up.

I can't fault it if it prevents even one parent from doing something extremely stupid, but sweet Christ :cry:. I think it's by the same people that did the PSA about the woman who left her kid in the car in the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Something Positive
Jan 10, 2010

Electric Bugaloo posted:

What's really funny about that is that "This Is Our Country," like John Mellencamp, is politically left wing- and very openly and explicitly so. I like to imagine the thousands of proud Hannity-watching 'Murricans that have nodded their heads with pride to a Silverado commercial before googling the song and making GBS threads themselves at its lyrics about gay rights, intelligent design, and anti-intellectualism.

It's basically the same way "Born in the USA" and "This Land is Our Land" have been co-opted by "patriotic" types at some point or another while being the complete antitheses to their values and platforms.

I think the worst offender when it comes to misusing songs because parts of them sound ultra-patriotic is right wing radio host Sean Hannity. What does this proponent of the men's rights movement and enemy of feminism use as his show opener?

Independence Day by Martina McBride. Even if you hate country music (which I do most of the time) this song and the music video is a goddamn work of art, and it makes me cringe when the sanitized bit comes on before his show. You see, my boyfriend seems to like to send his blood pressure through the roof as he listens to/yells at talk radio.

Something Positive
Jan 10, 2010

ASPCA, I commend your efforts to help abused and homeless animals. I know how heartbreaking and hard the job is and how regrettably needed your services are but, all the same, gently caress you for using "When She Loved Me" for one of your commercials. gently caress. You.

I have an appointment with a tear soaked bag of M&Ms that I suddenly have to keep.

Something Positive
Jan 10, 2010

The bit about putting it on hours beforehand and not worrying about interruptions is great. Unless it goes down in complete darkness with no foreplay whatsoever, what intimate partner isn't going to 1. Notice it 2. Stop the sexytimes and 3a. Ask a few questions or 3b. Flee immediately.