Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Mister Kingdom posted:

How about some improper ad placement?

I was watching a pseudo-documentary about Karen Carpenter (on Reelz) and they showed a weight-loss drug commercial.

Reminds me of this (BSG spoilers ahead): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEDjAFi7oJ4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I have nothing against Neil Patrick Harris, but I got really sick of his insufferable smugness in that recent Heineken commercial. Every time it came on I wanted to drive an ax into my TV.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

vyst posted:

Dawn soap was godly for everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtJKF1qoy2M

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This Walmart commercial makes my blood boil every time it comes on TV. It's not the commercial itself, but the obnoxious song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w14u6GS5egM

I haven't a clue who the artist is, and I don't care to know. The repetitive lyrics and monotone singing makes it one of the most annoying songs I've ever heard. Just stop with the "fellow kids" bullshit, Walmart. You were never cool.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RpmwqaxrwA

There's nothing technically wrong with this commercial, but the smugness pisses me off; not because I'm dedicated to cable, but because the 'knocking down a straw man' advertising strategy doesn't seem like a huge winner to me, even if more and more people are cutting the cord.

DirecTV isn't the only company with smug commercials. There's also the douche-y "ba-da-book" spokesman for Choice Hotels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz6NTCxDGLA

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

ElectricSheep posted:

Why is the latest DirecTV commercial on practically every channel for every commercial break, why

Wet grocery bags, crowded subway cars, spilling hot coffee

It
Never
Ends

e: here, suffer with me

That ad is obnoxious to me not because it airs every commercial break, but because it's so insufferably smug and condescending. I don't really have a dog in the cable vs satellite fight, but it seems like insulting people who might be inclined to switch to DirecTV by claiming they're stupid is a bad marketing decision.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGPObInjJUA

By the video title, I guess this commercial's intention is to poke fun at Youtube ""celebrities"" (though isn't the point of a commercial to sell a product?). Still, this commercial's time-before-becoming-obnoxious factor can be measured in the milliseconds.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm getting sick of that drat esurance commercial where the soccer mom is wailing over a dent in her loving car. It was OK the first time, but hearing her wail during every commercial break is getting really old.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

On a similar note, I'm getting really sick of the Captain Morgan commercial(s) where it's someone saying "Captain? Captain. Captain." over and over.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I've seen a similar Progressive ad, but with Heaven Is A Place on Earth in place of Queen. What annoys me is not so much Jamie (though I'm getting sick of "quirky" characters like him everywhere) but the fact that the ad doesn't say anything. It's thirty seconds of a choir singing song and Jamie interrupting them, but it doesn't say jack poo poo about Progressive's insurance or why we should buy it.

There's a lot of that kind of advertising these days, which has a lot of memes and irony, but very little actual advertising, and it's a huge pet peeve of mine.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

There are many commercial spokespeople that are insufferably smug, but that guy in the xfinity commercial ("Mr. ___, what's your wifi password?") is one of the worst. Even more obnoxious is his use of the word 'daditude'. It makes me angry every time I see his smug face.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0CdYS_54PQ

Both Havertys and US Cellular seem to be going with the meta "let's pay lip service to a holiday about being thankful so that we can go shop, shop, shop" angle this year.

It annoys me more than if they had just been honest about wanting to bring people in to shop. I'm struggling to think of a single situation where big corporations going with "fellow kids"/"look how ironic and hilarious we are" has not been embarrassing and annoying to see on TV.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I think all of Geico's commercials are obnoxious, but especially the one that's been airing in my area. It says absolutely nothing about their insurance whatsoever; it's just two smug spokespeople bragging about the company's most famous/infamous ad campaigns (for example: the Geico cavemen from years ago). I thought the point of advertising was to...you know....actually sell a product, and not just patting yourself on the back for how clever and funny you think you are.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

This meta poo poo from them seems to have replaced all of their other commercials, and I'm not sure that's a plus.

Also in the meta category, someone at McDonald's took "Sir, this is a McDonald's drive thru,” misinterpreted it, and mutated it into a terrible ad campaign.

I haven't seen that yet, thank God, but I've noticed that "meta" seems to be the new trend in commercials. Esurance has been doing it with those Dennis Quaid commercials, and I think there's another company with an ad that ends "and this is the end of the commercial" or something like that. Marketers always seem several years behind the rest of the world in terms of their references.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD_0UEO_hbQ

Is this what middle aged men sitting in a board room think "the kids" want to see nowadays: random "monkey cheese" bullshit like this?

Businesses might actually sell more of whatever product they're shilling if they didn't try so desperately hard to prove how "cool" and clever they think they are.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

LadyPictureShow posted:

I have a hatred of that Glassdoor(?) ad, where the kid moves back home and his parents keep rolling their eyes because their layabout son is always on his phone instead of looking for a job.

His phone goes off at dinner and his dad snatches up the phone, but what's this?! It was just a notification that he has three interviews?! He's been searching for a job on his phone this entire time?!

I'm not sure why I find it so obnoxious. I think its the whole 'kids these days are always on their phones amirite :rolleyes:?' aspect.

It's like a Dustin strip made real.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Faustian Bargain posted:

HIYEEEE is a worse commercial.

By far the most obnoxious commercial currently on TV.

I also have to just laugh at those beer commercials that act as though being able to taste your beer is some major revolution. :capitalism:, I guess.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It could just be me, but I despise those Modelo commercials that use "The Ecstasy of Gold" music from The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. They're trying to associate that music with their brand, and that pisses me off because I don't want to think of lovely beer when I hear that epic music.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

LadyPictureShow posted:

I absolutely can't stand that Match.com ad with Rebel Wilson.

"Here's my thoughts on dating:" *proceeds to groans and grunt into microphone; rolls on floor*

Me too. I have absolutely zero clue what - if anything - that dumb commercial is even trying to say. It's on so many levels of irony, I guess, that it's completely incomprehensible.

I hate the "clever" Sonic and GEICO commercials too, but at least those ads have a message that tells us something about the product.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

AFewBricksShy posted:

I got even more annoyed at Lexus for trying (and succeeding) in making that loving song a thing that I correlate to Lexus when I rewatched home alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvuS1hVSj-Y

This isn't a Christmas thing, but Corona* commercials piss me off for a similar reason. They're trying to associate "The Ecstasy of Gold" from The Good, The Bad and the Ugly with their brand, which annoys me because I don't want to think of a beer commercial when I hear that really cool song.

* I'm pretty sure it's Corona, but it could be Modelo?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It took a grand total of one time seeing the US Cellular ad, the one with Deck The Halls, on a local station for me to get sick of that commercial. I like Christmas music but this year I find myself getting sick of it before Thanksgiving.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Sorry in advance if this is straying too far into politics, but if Bloomberg wants people to vote for him, he can start by not airing ads with clips of Trump talking. Granted, it's doubtful that I'd vote for Bloomberg anyway, but if I never had to hear the Cheeto Bandito's whiny voice again, especially without warning on a commercial, it'd be too soon.

Less politically, the idea of a sequel for a commercial is extremely dumb. If Geico produced a product that people wanted, they'd have no need for the "clever" meme-y ads.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

2) State Farm is also the drizzling shits on TV, but their production value is better and the insurance has treated me better than Geico. I guess I should judge companies on how fancy the ads are?

I judge them by how much they actually say about their product. If they go the Geico route and put out a lot of memes and sell a product as an afterthought, it makes me suspicious that the product isn't good and they're trying to make up for it. State Farm commercials can be pretty obnoxious, but I don't think they're nearly as bad as whatever Geico is doing with the "sequels" thing.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Agreed. Mayhem doesn't bother me because they're at least discussing what the insurance covers/does. Geico has a fig leaf of "15 minutes can save you 15% or more", and I suppose if you really love their commercials, that's enough to get you interested. But if I'm going to buy insurance, I want to know what I'm getting for my money; not goofy stuff about Pinocchio being a self-help coach.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I always have to chuckle at Neuriva's ads that start with the pitch "Want to brain better?". One way to start would be to realize that the word brain is a noun; not a verb.

"Brain and brain, what is brain?"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Marvy. Fab. Far out.

Actually, I hadn't realized that "verbification" had been going on that long. It shows how much the English language is Calvinball.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf6xA3SoAZM

I know commercials like this are supposed to be "ironically" dumb, but what kind of a baby would require a flavor packet to drink water after wandering in the desert? People have their reasons for using flavoring for water, but this is just insultingly stupid.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

YeahTubaMike posted:

It's like commercials that heavily feature Zoom. I don't want to think about the unpleasantness of Zoom, just like I don't want to think about unpleasant nitpicky relatives.

That reminds me: I had the TV muted when it came on, but there was a Captain Morgan's commercial where different bottles of liquor were in a Zoom meeting. I found it on iSpot.tv and it's pretty obnoxious: https://www.ispot.tv/ad/n5RS/captain-morgan-video-call-peeled-orange

I'm not even sure what the point is supposed to be except "Zoom meetings suck".

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Speaking of wanting to die: Ty Pennington is apparently in need of some extra cash, so he's cutting ads for the Virginia Lottery where he bellows "GOOOOD MORNING, VIRGINIA!" It'd be great if I never had to hear him yelling at the top of his lungs again.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"Fancy" and "Applebee's" are not two words I expected to be strung together into a sentence, at least unironically.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Iron Crowned posted:

Someone has never lived in the Midwest

No, but I can believe it based on what I've heard. "Put on yer goin' to preachin' outfit, Clem...we're goin' to Applebee's!"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"Simply the Best" is in a class of songs, along with "Like A Rock", that are mostly known these days from the commercials that used them. I'm sure there are others but I can't think of any more at the moment.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Both I'm Too Sexy and Unbelievable (EMF) could also be candidates, since they've been overused by ads since they first came out.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Yeah, just what I like to see at dinnertime: a talking poo poo box visiting people at a restaurant to warn them about colon cancer.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm surprised at how many celebrities have been hocking that lately. First it was Ice-T, then Ernie Hudson, and now Vivica A. Fox. None of these people need the money so I'm wondering what the scam is.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

fartknocker posted:

There’s also one with Chris Berman, Ice-T has done two or three versions of it since at least one has him with some other old musician in it,, and IIRC there was another that predated the Ernie Hudson one with some random person in it that I don’t think was a celebrity.

I don't think I've seen those yet, but I shouldn't be too surprised that celebrities lend their names to scams (if it is one) given how many seemingly 'good' celebrities lent their names to hocking crypto during the Superbowl.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's not really an ad I hate, but there's a particular corporate medicine commercial (I don't remember the brand) with an actor who looks exactly like Jeffrey Epstein. I'm actually surprised that the internet hasn't erupted in conspiracy theories and Qanon stuff about the pharma company given the way things are these days.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Not a fan of the Credit Karma commercial where a guy in a beater car pulls up to a woman charging her electric vehicle and she makes an "Ew...a poor" face at his car. That just comes across as classist to me (and I know there are serious problems with the idea of credit ratings anyway).

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Calaveron posted:

So this is where we're at GM? A commercial that's just a lady straight up screaming for 10 seconds?

I have a personal theory that commercials are getting more incoherent because they just don't have the cultural 'clout' they used to have before the days of DVR, streaming and ad blockers. Consumers aren't captive audiences anymore so advertisers have to turn to increasingly desperate means to grab people's attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

explosivo posted:

I was thinking about this the other day with regards to commercials gradually morphing into complete non-sequitur jokes like Geico's commercials basically being Family Guy "Wouldn't it be weird if..." segments until the end where they say Geico and show the lizard. It had to be Geico that really pioneered that whole trend, right? People like (:sigh:) my gf and her parents start hootin and hollering every time the Limu Emu is on screen and because of that stupid commercial they'll probably always remember "liberty mutual" when thinking of existing insurance companies so I guess it's gotta be working.

I think Geico was the first, or one of them. It seems like it used to only be a handful of companies doing meme commercials, but now most of them are like that. I guess it makes the brand stick in your mind, but it's like being fed your favorite food every day until you get sick of it.