Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
I just saw a commercial for shoe lifts for men, I think it was for liftkits but I don't remember. Anyhow it started out with a blinking "PAY ATTENTION!! Would you like an extra two inches??" I seriously thought it was going to be a commercial about penis implants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

aquatic sideshow posted:

Didn't Cheerios get into a shitload of trouble for advertising their cereal as if it had health benefits?

There's a stupid lovely commercial where apparently a group of people go into a restaurant, and all order bowls of cereal. Not only that, they apparently order bowls of cereal by telling the waitress whichever health problem they have, and the waitress brings out bowls of Cheerios like some sort of bizarre pharmacist-waitress-cereal maker. It boggles the mind.

I believe this was Kellogg's which put on several cereal boxes around 5 years ago that it boosted immunity. It was in huge type as if it was some type of breakthrough and I can't believe no one thought that people wouldn't research it.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
It probably is safe. As far as the plant won't explode like the deepwater horizon and the well being there alone won't contaminate ground water. The issue is what happens in the long term over multiple fracking attempts. Now, keep in mind I'm not jumping on the whole fracking is evil and dangerous bit but like anything it's safe up until the conditions they tested for and by the conditions we currently know. Things change.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Yep I know. That's why I said as far as the plant won't explode or the well being there alone won't contaminate water. I was trying to be sarcastic. Anyhow the point I was trying to make was that anything is safe depending on how you look at it.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

ToastyPotato posted:

I know someone who literally would not eat Wendy's because it was square. They genuinely had a problem with this. Which can only mean they think ground beef has an actual shape.

Probably the reason why the square is now wavy, because people think it's processed. The funny thing is, I've ran into people who are now upset about that change. You can't please everyone.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I went into Target to get something for my Halloween costume two days before the actual holiday and all of the stuff had already been piled on a few shelves and the christmas stuff was out. gently caress you America.

I can deal with that as it's close enough. What bothered me was when Target did a 'Christmas in July' roadshow that was Christmas Trees and lights that they obviously were trying to get rid of from the year before. It's not cute when QVC does it, and I just didn't see the point for a retail store to try it as well.

Adding to the discussion, the Puss n Boots commercials with the cats doing 'oooooooh!' every three seconds. I just don't get it.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Fortis posted:

Some year during the holiday season, Hershey is going to run an updated 'Kisses-as-Bells Play We Wish You a Merry Christmas' commercial instead of the one they've been running since the early 1990's.

2011 is not that year.

That commercial, the Folders commercial with the guy waking up the family with coffee that's ran since the 80s, the Corona 'Christmas palm tree' of similar vintage and Barney stealing Fruity Pebbles commercials of 1987 will run forever. They are like the modern day yule log footage.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Ok, back on subject. While I do like the changes that JCPenney is doing to prices, the screaming commercials is what's annoying me right now, especially since one is being shown on almost every commercial break in prime time this week. Feb 1 can't get here quick enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Andorra posted:

I hate the Brand Power and Nutri-facts commercials or whatever they're called. They're just so bare-bones and dull, I just don't get it. I complain about commercials not even being relevant to the product they're advertising, but I don't want this extreme either. It's like they use some fill-in the blank sheet for every single product.

*Music plays as Brand Power/Nutrition Facts (circle one) appears on screen* __________ (product name) is a food/drink/vitamin (circle one) that can help ______________ (what product is for) and makes your life healthy/easy (circle one). Buy it today. *End commercial*

It's part of the mystique that they want for their advertising. It is a real 3rd party, but what they aren't disclosing is that they aren't a consumer advocate company like Consumer reports, but is a marketing company. They make the ads, and the actual company agrees to pay them and run it. It's extremely dishonest but because it's done so cheaply in a lame way everyone just assumes they really wanted it to look like a infomercial.