Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am still infuriated when ever I see a ad for a pickup truck. They still maintain the fiction that these are real trucks for real men with real jobs and show them towing giant stone blocks, or carrying the engine for a battleship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DJExile posted:

Every ad is going to exaggerate claims though. It's really not any different from showing a hybrid driving a crazy amount of miles or a sports model doing figure-8s in the Salt Flats even though nobody's ever going to do that.

True, but at the same time, do they make the ad about the Prius showing it as a rally car or drag racing? The majority of Pickups are not bought by ranchers who need to manually plant fence posts. I know advertising on a fantasy is pretty much par for the course, but it just infuriates me because its not like a beer add which has the fantasy of "drink this, gently caress women" but the fantasy of "you're not a real man unless you drive a giant truck, because giant trucks are what real men drive!".

I'd love to see an hybrid ad done in the style of truck ads. Having a Prius bring driven by big many men who bare handed catch wild horses or pull tanks out of the mud.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
For the longest time I've thought the name of this thread was "bring out the McNugget Bong" as if Mcdonalds was running some add to appeal to stoners or something.

Anyways, any add on Canada's Comedy Network is just painful to watch, particularly the ads for Picnicface. Once upon a time they made funny youtube videos, but now they make terrible unfunny skits involving Andrew Bush, a fellow from my home town who's ego would enable him to drive in a car pool lane.

Maybe there are people who are attracted to a show by a series of Honks by various characters.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Weird, I remember those being ads from the Mormons that were all "Families are great!". Nothing sinister about them at all. Maybe since then the brand has been taken over by evil corporate execs.

I hate the Al-anon ads they show. Some of them are serious, like people drinking and driving, ignoring their family, but one of the ones I've seen has a woman going "He likes to go out with his friends and drink on Fridays, and i'm worried his drinking is out of control". Yes, one night of the week he drinks, omg! with his friends no doubt! I guess a huge amount of people are alcoholics.

It doesn't help the sketches they did of the Al-anon members all look like women from the temperance league pictures they showed in the Prohibition documentary.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Doomsday Jesus posted:

This is one of the dumbest ads out there right now

I swore it was fake at first, now I know it is legit. It is one of the stupidest loving things out there. How can a company think this was a good idea?

It even has a flap in the back so you can poopy.

Of course you'd be the talk of the next tailgate, because everyone will be "why the gently caress are you wearing pajamas?"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

jojoinnit posted:

These arent even pyjamas. Pyjamas have a separate top and bottom. This is just a onesie for adults.

It's a speed suit!

That whole thing just sums up America for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Glenn_Beckett posted:

This old Navy Critter Hats commercial is the creepiest thing I've ever seen.

The one with the old men judging the little kids? Did no one realized what that looked like?

Yea it says "Scrooges" but still, :pedo: