Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Doctor Doodler posted:

Geico has such an iconic and well known slogan that they don't even need to say it fully at the end of commercials. "15 minutes and you, well, you know."

I'm annoyed by these because the actor is supposedly reading the printed tag line off of a billboard, from a newspaper ad, etc. and they say "15 minutes could save you 15% on car insurance". The text they're reading is shown on-screen and it never has the "on car insurance" part!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Moai Ou posted:

Time Warner Cable has lovely ads. Rather, they have sub-par ads, but the shittyness is magnified by the fact that they play EVERY COMMERCIAL BREAK. Sometimes you'll luck out and get two in the same break.

This is the current one in heavy rotation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxLSgkdxRAM
Imagine seeing this ad upward of a dozen times in an hour. ANYTIME ANYWHERE ISN'T THAT YOUR NICKNAME!?

Oh, and the Time Warner Cable Coach!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEUXrek-W24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQA5kvmCupI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82-WmzvnEKw Download! :downs:

I don't know if he's a real coach because I don't follow football at all, but that guy's voice has an inexplicable murderous effect on my ears.

What's worse is that I HAVE TWC! I don't need entire ad breaks seemingly filled with their lovely ads.

That's Bill Cowher a very successful retired NFL coach. I can't stand the football player in those because his acting is just so bad. Downloadded! :downs: indeed.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

ShaqDiesel posted:

Time warner is running a commercial where a dad is telling his son to go play in the rain because dad's trying to watch TV and he can't record his show because of the family's current lovely DVR capabilities. Former Steelers head coach Bill Cowher then unlawfully enters from the storm and announces, "with time warner cable you can watch more than 4 shows at the same time" then stands there grinning like a serial killer. Thats all of his dialogue...it is pure lunacy.

Also Cowher supposedly comes in from the rain but he isn't wet at all. He's even wearing a poncho! Now that I've noticed it, I cant unsee it.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's always annoying when advertisers think they're going to get something "viral" happening.

Like, the hip lingo that seems to pop up all the time in fast food ads, as per the thread title- most recently "Floasted" for Quizno's, and I also remember some KFC ad where a woman used elaborate mime to convey her love for the Famous Bowl. Nobody is repeating these things. Nobody is talking about them over the water cooler (well, maybe some people are, but those people are best avoided.) It's so forced.

Also some gum company is trying to make "Phone keys gum" into a thing. You'll notice I can't remember which brand. Always a good sign. (I wonder if this is the same firm that devised Axe's "Double Pits to Chesty" campaign which ugggghhh)

It's like they're trying to create the image that a culture has already developed around their product, but these are all inexpensive purchases that nobody gets invested in. At least with consumer electronics there's a sense that, okay, people spent a lot of money on the new iPad or Galaxy or Surface, they've got some reason for brand loyalty or want to retroactively justify the money they spent or whatever.

"Farm Fresh Egg Boy" was in an ad for Egg McMuffins about 10 years ago. It entered into my parents vernacular and they have been using as a random nickname for me and my brother ever since. :suicide:

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

raditts posted:

Aren't stand-alone GPS units kind of obsolete in an age where almost everyone has a cell phone and a data plan?

Not for pilots, who is traditionally Garmin's main market. It's only within the last 5 years or so that they branched out into road navigation GPS. I think it's basically a case of "we already have the data and it's not much more R&D to add this product line". It's probably more about increasing brand recognition than selling the road GPS itself.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I don't know about your phone, but using the GPS on mine drains the battery faster than anything else. I actually got lost last year in Indiana after missing an exit and had to sit in a gas station charging my phone enough to continue, not fun. Also means I can't use my phone as a phone while I'm using it to navigate, which is problematic for my job.

The short version: there is still enough reason to have a dedicated GPS, at least for someone like me.

That said, that commercial is obnoxious.

I got your power problem covered:

As for the second, well... you shouldn't be talking on the phone while driving :colbert:

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

NBA Jam big-head mode IRL rules. gently caress the haters.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Phobic Nest posted:

I didn't notice, too busy laughing at the magic computer that's voice activated but demands you high-five its holograms. Just imagining the director saying, "Look happy as you slap that air."

But now that you mention it, yeesh that's a terrifying little thing.

If he were actually interacting with those holo-buttons, all the text on them would be backwards from his perspective, too.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Vicas posted:

Wahhhh, speak English proper, wahhhh

In a commercial that's attempting to espouse the value of professionalism? Yes, you absolutely should.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Sash! posted:

I forgot about that commercial.

Probably both made by Unilever. Unilever makes all the soap for all soaping purposes. They are probably owned by some shadowy cabal that invented soap and worships the bar of Ur-Soap from which all soap descends.

Old Spice and Bounce are Proctor & Gamble brands.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

The Heinz wiener dog ad was the best because everyone loves wieners.

It doesn't even matter that dachshunds dressed as hot dogs are a huge cliche, it's still hilarious. The music helped, as did the kid as a ketchup packet.

Not as good as the Sprint(?) ad from like ten years ago that was full of wieners, but still good.

And now we'll have a two page derail about ketchup on hot dogs.

My parents got a wiener dog and named her "Stampede" because of that old commercial.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

This is dumb and nit picky. There’s a commercial for the video game “Just Dance” that I keep seeing on Hulu. It uses the tag line “dance to your own beat” for a game where you have to match movements to the screen in time with a song. So, not dancing to your own beat at all.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Hulu commercial: “What Fyre festival proved, is that the power of influence is real”

Noooooooooo poo poo. That’s the very definition of the word “influence”. What an idiotic non-statement trying to sound meaningful and profound. Makes me irrationally angry.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

They have another commercial which shows how absolutely timely they are in that it has Lil Jon doing his "OKAY?" bit as well. Which is like, great job time traveling back to the early 00s for that reference.

They did that at the superbowl halftime show, too. Pepsi is the epitome of “tries too hard to be different and cool”.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Lego once put up the entire first Lego Movie as a YouTube ad, as promotion for the second movie. That was kinda neat though.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Mahoning posted:

No they didn’t they put like a 30 second clip of a song from the second movie on loop for over 4 hours as an ad. Pretty sure I posted about it in this thread.

They absolutely did

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Sash! posted:

Old people do, so they can do the math to compare themselves to that person.

I'm in a social group that has a bunch of 70+ guys. I know how old all of them are because they are saying their exact ages all the time.

I was going to make a remark about old guys and killing fiddy men based on your avatar, but then had a realization. In my head 70+ was always “World War II grandpa” age. My dad is in his late 60s and was in the Vietnam draft, so someone in their 70s now couldn’t have been in WWII.

Where did the last 20 years go?

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

dont some modern public bathrooms have ad screens in the bathroom?

would be some great synergy to have that play while pissing in a urinal or the stall.

I was at a conference last week and some tech company put branded splash guards in the urinals with piss puns on them, like “Urine luck if you come to our booth”

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

There’s a drug commercial on Hulu for some probably made-up-just-to-sell-this-drug condition that has an acronym for a name but they don’t explain what it is or what the symptoms are so you’ll hopefully go Google it and click on the search result ad.

It is a goddamn eye injection. No, I don’t care if it’s not actually injected directly into the eyeball. gently caress that.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

I have multiple pieces of 2x6 scrap less than a foot long left over from some deck repair just sitting in the garage taking up space. My wife insists that we keep them. I have been slowly disposing of them by putting one out with the trash every other week. So far she hasn’t noticed. Because it’s scrap. That we won’t need. Or use. Ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Sash! posted:

You have doomed yourself to need a bunch of 2x6 scraps

I refuse to be held hostage