Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Does anyone else find the Puffs Plus ads annoying as hell?

I don't want to think about some kid blowing through his snotty tissue; they've been using the same campaign for years now; the stupid rhyming stories they use are awkwardly written and they keep jamming more and more adjectives into their name. It used to just be "Puffs Plus", but now its "Puffs Plus with Moisturizer and Shea Lotion" or some crap.

Cyril Sneer fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
The talk of Red Tails reminded me that there's a new movie commercial voice-over guy whose been making the rounds lately. He tries to sound deep and dramatic, but it just sounds like someone with a plugged nose from a bad cold.

Red Tails = Ren Dails
Devil = Dehnvil

It's really irritating to listen to.

Mokinokaro posted:

Taco Bell/KFCs seem to be popular in the malls here in Canada. Same with Orange Julius/Dairy Queen.

Ha. Yeah, I was just going to say, up here in Canadaland we have lots of those weird Taco Bell/KFC/Pizza Pizza combo places around.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Nut Bunnies posted:

You guys should probably use it before you whine about it.

The appeal of Siri is that it understands natural language. With other voice activated programs, you have to enunciate very very very clearly and use preset phrases. On my old Android phone, I would have to say "CALL *contact name*" or "NAVIGATE TO *address*" and half of the time I would just do a Google search for "Navigate two Homer" or "Call

Siri allows you to talk to it naturally. You can ask or say things like you would to another person. For example, "Is it going to rain today?" "Remind me when I get home to call mom." "Tell Jason I'll be right there." And it all work. It tells you if it will rain, it creates a reminder for you, it texts Jason "I'll be right there."

The whole "Bah, OLD FEATURE DONTCARE" argument is so old, and yours is particularly crotchety and uninformed.

Siri really creeps me out. The first time I saw it in action, my friend looked something up then said something along the lines of "thats not what I meant you stupid bitch". Siri replied, "I'm sorry, I'm trying my best". And I actually felt bad. For a machine. I had an emotional reaction to talking to a machine :psyduck: :psyduck:.

In that moment I realized we'd crossed some sort of threshold and it left me feeling uneasy for the rest of the day.

Anyway, thats my story. Now let the commercial bashing continue.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

I don't know how many canadians are following this thread but dear god why are Tim Hortons commercials so consistently awful? Has anyone else noticed how every commercial for the last few years is based on the identical premise of having a group of similar people sitting/standing/driving/hanging around talking (inanely) about some Timmy's food item?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Young Freud posted:

Holy poo poo these are awesome. That Bounce one is the best.

I've been staying at my parents' place until I can find work. My folks watch loving Jerry Springer, Steve Wolzkos or whatever, and Maury and these ads come on during almost every loving break.

And they wonder why I don't watch TV with them.

I actually love daytime TV. I know, I'm weird :colbert:

Vakal posted:

Not sure about the States, but in Canada they changed the name of their stores to The Source.

For a while wasn't it "The Source by Circuit City"? Uggh I hate terrible/awkward branding.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The first singer they showed on the karoke mic looked like he was on the verge of tears. They show a bartender doing a trick and spilling booze everywhere. The fact they paid money to make themselves look bad baffles me.

Don't forget the sloppy hip-thrusting cougar about halfway in!

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

TV trend I'm getting tired of in commercials, that loving Imagine Dragons song being used for every goddamn upcoming thing.

I feel like we're at an all-time low in terms of terrible music in commercials.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

I'm surprised those terrible Orea "wonder-filled" commercials haven't been mentioned here. They're just so incredibly twee and for some reason every voice sounds massively autotuned.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

I hate that goddamn Smucker's jam commercial with those two country brothers and their stupid twee down-home accent. What 10 year old hasn't seen jam before, and/or can't figure out the very simple act of squishing the strawberries into a jar?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

I still wonder how these guys converse with other guys.

Bro 1: yo that chick Lindsay is totally hot.
Bro 2: ya, just wait for the party this weekend. She's gonna eat all my yogurt.

--------------------

Actually the thing I hate most about that commercial is how she says "orange crem". What the hell is "crem"?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

THESE FILES LOAD SO SLOW IT MAKES MY PATIENTS IMPATIENT :v:

THAT DOESN'T KID AROUND :v: :v:

LESS TIME BABYSITTING....YOUR COMPUTER :reject:

YOU GOTTA MAKE AN APPOINTMENT :what: :suicide:

Cyril Sneer fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 12, 2013

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

There's like three commercials using that lovely "Feel it All Around" song by Washed Out. How does that happen? How do three commercials all simultaneously glom onto the same four year old song?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

TMMadman posted:

I love it, thank you grandma for the dolls...
I love it, I'll ninja kick it through the halls...
I love it, posting pictures to your wall...

I hate it, I want to kick Target ad men in the balls...

Goddamn every time I hear this I keep thinking its some weird rip-off of that "I Love It" song by Icona Pop.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

How many commercials are using that bloody "I'm Coming Home" song right now? Way too drat many :shepicide:

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

SpacePig posted:

I watched 2 shows on Fox On Demand, and literally every commercial was for that new show Rake. Every goddamn one. They've convinced me to not watch the show at all.

I have this weird fingernails-on-chalkboard type reaction whenever I hear shows with obtuse names. House, Rake, Breaking Bad . Ughgghghghg.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Vicas posted:

House is the dude's name and Breaking Bad is literally the plot of the show so I'm not sure what you're getting at?

They're extremely contrived. Have you ever met anyone named House or Rake?

Would the show ever work with a name like Stevens or McNichol? No, because they have to use contrived "cool" sounding names.

Breaking Bad...what? Habbits? Finish the drat sentence.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

raditts posted:

Why does Febreze love this loving commercial so much?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwEPKTn4ies

After 7 years of bringing it back over and over, they did a loving remake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2HQJwoXC9o

The acting in the remake is somehow even more stilted than the badly dubbed original.

And I never understood the phrasing. Who the hell "washes" a room?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

I would really like to know who's still buying ch-ch-ch Chia pets in 2017.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Let it Pro
Let it Pro
Let it Pro

god I hate those ads too. Like they're obviously referencing "Let it snow" but they don't even sing it to the tune.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Add Portugal the man (I refuse to spell it the correct way) to the list of overused-in-commercials artists.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Majorian posted:

I mean the dude's blind, so how would he know anyway?:haw:

I'm sure it's been discussed, but those "Don't let anyone tell you what you do! gently caress society's expectations, and also drink Diet Coke to show what a rebel you are!" ads are insufferable. It's especially annoying that Gillian Jacobs, who is otherwise perfect in all regards IMO, is in one of them.

I find the proportions of those cans very off-putting.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

THE PEOPLE ARE COMING, THE PEOPLE ARE COMING

THE PEOPLE ARE COMING, THE PEOPLE ARE COMING

T H E P E O P L E A R E C O M I N G

Anyone else suffering with this awful Ikea ad?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Those car ads where they act like the cars are herds of wild animals out on the safari. I cannot get over who stupid those ads are.

And I don't even remember the company!

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Make 'scuit scat happen :anime:

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Post Malone really needs to just disappear forever.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Has anyone noticed this weird trend recently of ads featuring fat people dancing? And more specifically all pulling the same hip/belly-swinging moves?

There's nothing necessarily wrong with people-of-size having fun, its just weird how common this specific...thing...has become.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Yeaahhhhh its really not the actual grocery shopping itself that's off-putting to me, its the food preparation, cooking, and cleaning effort that makes after work dinner a chore - and which these delivery services do not solve.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Gaunab posted:

I hate the chance the rapper doritos commercial.

Yeah, this and those Peleton ads are just awful.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Uggghh those obnoxious "the people are coming the people are coming" IKEA ads are running again.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Trident fruity vibes gum
for flavour that paps, paps, paps, paps!

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

LadyPictureShow posted:

Great; as if that terrible Michelob beer ad with Zoe Kravitz whispering into a microphone wasn't obnoxious enough; now there's a similar ad for dental pick things with a woman whispering and running her fingers over the nubby part of these floss picks.

Uggh uggh uggh there's a Reese's Pieces ad out now doing this ASMR poo poo too!

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

sleep with the vicious posted:

If any Canadians are seeing the new Tim Hortons commercials...ugh

The fake guy in overalls drinking 300 tests of coffee a day getting asked how he sleeps at night is so loving annoying

I have seen this ad and yes it's bad.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

I feel like a dingus even asking this, but, I don't get those Skip the Dishes ads. Is it a dad and his son? A dad and his twink? A wealthy exec and his pool boy?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Cyril Sneer posted:

I feel like a dingus even asking this, but, I don't get those Skip the Dishes ads. Is it a dad and his son? A dad and his twink? A wealthy exec and his pool boy?

I'm posting this again because I seriously need an answer to this question :pwn:

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

It's not a Buick it's an Alexa :suicide:

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

There are a lot of bad commercials airing right now.

- This awful Lays? Tostitos? Ad featuring a very white people Christmas with a definitely-mormon-wife badly lip syncing to My Favorite Things.

- HOLIDAY WITH OLD NAY-VAY

- Some awful SUV ad where they rattle off a list of all your "fams" that its for. Hell on earth would be stuck in a car with your cave exploring fam :barf:

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

PizzaProwler posted:

Also: what the hell is "a very white people Christmas"

It's that thing where people with names like Kayleigh, McKarty, and Gunner gather in Aspen Springs, Co. And persist in the belief that ugly Christmas sweaters are still a thing in 2020.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Uggh, just saw this horrible All State ad featuring a guy driving a car and singing along to the Pet Shop Boys "Opportunities" (which is a great song)...when suddenly the hood ornament comes alive and starts singing along too, badly, and out of tune. I felt like I was hallucinating or something, it was just so bizarre.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Kwatz posted:

I cannot stand the Slot-O-Mania ad with John Goodman as a thumb. He looks greasier and more stung out as a thumb than ever and it’s just terrible. I have no idea how that app works, other than to assume that its loving terrible and something like candy crush which just plods along convincing people to spend $1.99 from time to time. Please never show John Goodman as a thumb ever again.

Also, it sounds like he's saying slut-o-mania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Even worse
Some of us still watch cable!