Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
How deep did everyone bury hardware cloth around your runs? I'm doing it 2 foot deep and drat is it a lot of digging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
We were thinking of going with carabiners. I have some fancy climbing ones I actually found on the ground somewhere that I'm not doing anything with.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
What a loving rear end in a top hat. Fight them tooth and nail.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Captain Log posted:

:stare:

Chickens are capable of drawing blood?

My ex had an uncle who lost a ball (Yes, a man ball) to a goose...but that's also a loving goose.

Mine have drawn blood occasionally from going for mosquito bites on my legs over the last summer. I started wearing pants into the run all the time after that.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

my cat is norris posted:

I've been steadily adding more straw and plants and things around it, once it's done I'll get a decent clean scan and share that so you can print it or something...!!

Thank you all for the compliments, I don't do too much drawing anymore so it's nice when I make something I feel is good enough to be shared. For you to enjoy it, too, means a lot!

I don't do this ever but I want to print that drawing out and color it. It's incredibly good.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Question for my fellow posters where it is now cold. How much warmer than the outside air is your coops? Mine is ventilated but not drafty but has been tracking the outside temperature even at night with the door shut. My coop is a little big for the amount of chickens I have now and I'm worried that it might be an issue as we get further into winter. This is my first winter with my hens and I don't know if I'm being overly parinoid.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lawson posted:

That all depends on where in the world you are, and what kind of birds you have. We have (&had) RIR, BR, Polish crested, and misc. mutts in New Jersey, and our coop provides nothing but shelter from wind and rain. The temperature is the same as outside. In the first year I was paranoid too, and gave them a heat lamp, and then a space heater (set on really low). This didn't really make a difference. It only got the electricity bill up, and made me paranoid about starting a fire. So now I don't do anything and they're all fine. The only thing I do have is a heated drinker to prevent it from freezing. But as I said, if you're raising Fayoumis in Greenland you may have to give them a little extra heat.

Chicago, so not quite Greenland but it feels close enough in the mornings. I have barred rocks, a buff Orpington, a buff bhrama(without feathered legs for some reason) and white Cochin, and a Rhode island red. All are allegedly at least somewhat cold hardy birds and I have a heated waterer and an overbuilt coop. I think I'm just being paranoid but I would feel awful if I woke up to a bunch of frostbitten birds.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

fauna posted:

i'm glad someone is reading it and i'm not just whitenoising into the void :shobon: quail are fantastic, but i try to show both sides of the quail experience (the joy and the sorrow) to emphasise that they're not the perfect pet for everybody, emotionally/psychologically speaking

as for the cold, i've never lost a quail to cold and i've kept them in places where night temperatures would occasionally dip below freezing, but unfortunately don't really know much about new england winters. australian desert winters are very dry and very frosty, without snow, and most of the time they would sleep on the bare ground, it was mostly only when it rained that they slept in the waterproof nesting area. they seem to be pretty tolerant of cold. so i think if you buy locally bred birds, they'll do fine as long as you make sure part of their enclosure is waterproof and lined with soft warm nesting materials for the very bad nights

I am reading all of your quail posts as the girlfriend and I are looking at raising our own next summer. :justpost:

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Halloween Jack posted:

Purina Layena Plus Omega-3 Layer Feed. I've gone from crumbles to pellets and I'm thinking about going back to the crumbles.

I'm using that too(pellets) and my hens are still laying like mad in 20 degree weather. Are they eating enough of the food? Or is one of the hens maybe blocking everyone else from getting up to the food?

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'd try keeping the food in the run during the day for a few days before changing anything else. My hens hate going in the coop other than for sleeping and laying. Adding a 2nd feeder isn't a bad idea either. I always try cheap ideas first with things I already have before buying anything new.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So in that vein I got my 6 chickens as day olds at the beginning of April. Were near Chicago, and non of them are molting and were still getting 3 to 5 eggs a day. Is this normal for the first winter?

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mozi posted:

:siren: A new layer has entered the nesting box! :siren:

That is a beautiful egg.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
One of my hens has started laying in the middle of the night while on the roost in the coop. Anyone else ever have this happen? She laid at 4 am 2 days ago and just laid one right now at 8 PM. We have a camera up in there and all the other chickens are asleep while shes doing it.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Finally getting my outside the run but still sorta enclosed space done for the girls. Also another coop because I'm mad and we need a way to introduce new birds and I like building poo poo.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Are you burying the wire around the perimeter of the run? Your foundation looks really nice but a critter would be able to dig under it and get at your hens pretty quickly if you're not adding anything there (or maybe you have and I'm not seeing it.)

Also I use 2x4s wide side up for roosts and no complaints at all here.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So it’s been years but I finally decided to get back into chickens. This time around I’m doing meat birds instead of layers, so I will focus less on the chickens themselves and more on their digs. I built a modern inspired coop to house my chooks while they grow out. I have been furloughed or about a week now and worked on this for 5 solid days. I’m happy with how it turned out.

I missed the post of just the coop but drat this is a nice coop.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

That Works posted:

Coop update

I made a solar powered battery operated system for the coop. It's got a raspberry pi running a temp sensor and also a linear actuator to open and close the door. It's close enough to the house that it's on wifi so I can control it all remotely.

That first egg gets ever more expensive.

I am very interested in as detailed of an explanation as you want to give about what you did. Im considering doing something similar by winter.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Thank you for all that! I may email you later with some more questions but I will sit and read that more thoroughly once I have time to read it and let it sink in today or tomorrow. Your setup is really impressive and I'm jealous.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Happy birthday Pip! She still looks great!

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I love my barred rocks. They are my favorite birds I own. One of them is a lap chicken for me and basically avoids my wife tho.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

That Works posted:

Our Marans is beautiful but super skittish and never wants to hang with the other hens or come near people much.

The gold and silver wyandottes are pretty middle of the road, not wanting to come socialize much, but don't freak out when we need to pick one up and were super gentle when we had to trim ones beak.

Our cream crested legbar is probably the prettiest of the bunch, but also mean to the other hens and avoids us all the time. I would probably not get more of those next time.

Lastly are the buff orpingtons which are all adorable and sweet, curious and want to come sit on your arm or shoulder whenever you come by. By far they are the nicest of the bunch.

For friendly chickens buff orphingtons are your best bet. Ours basically acts like a dog and follows us around the yard. We took wedding pictures with her too because our dog just wanted to be inside and away from people and she loved the attention.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

That Works posted:

It really is!

A few times my wife and I have just pulled up a chair outside the coop and had a drink and just bullshitted and watched the chickens be silly. Pretty good stress relief.

I do this a few times a week after work.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

newts posted:

You guys are rad, thanks! I will think some more...

My kids have already picked out a few ridiculous looking chickens. Mainly Cochins and faverolles. I thought they'd be into silkies, but my oldest said they looked like "dinosaur aliens" so I guess they're out.

We have a pretty low fence on either side of us (to neighbors' yards) so I don't think the birds can be out of the run without supervision. So, I'm kind of leaning toward Cochins as I've heard they're too floof and/or dumb to fly over fences. My youngest daughter swears she'll die if we don't get faverolles, though.

I like our Cochin but she isn't the friendliest. She doesn't peck at or attack us but she just doesn't seem to care if people are around. She does an excellent job of watching for hawks tho. However she was broody last week and since she wasn't outside with the rest of them our Buff Bhrama because hawk food.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone had any luck with crow collars? We bought 10 chicks earlier this summer and one was straight run because my wife really wanted a Swedish Flower Hen. Well, we got a Swedish Flower Rooster. I wouldn't mind having a rooster except for we back up to a HOA and while I don't live in the same city they do I would like to avoid them calling the county on me. My direct neighbors wouldn't give a poo poo.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MrUnderbridge posted:

We had a mouse issue some years ago. One evening I heard a SNAP followed by a squealing and thumping. Turns out the mouse trap caught a young rat and only broke its back. Had to get a length of 2 by 4 to put it down. Not fun at all.

Its unpleasant but I found my ice scraper and a quick well placed jab does a cleaner job of finishing what my traps don't than going that or the shovel route.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
We throw scratch out in the evenings in winter for our birds near Chicago. They were fine in sub zero Temps except for the -20 day/night we had, we took them in the garage that day but that was only because the coop was too big for our 6 chickens. This winter when we have 15 full grown ones we won't bring them in at all unless we see frostbite on any of their combs.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Shifty Nipples posted:

My chickens are starting to molt.

We have 2 molting right now and I think they are wishing they had done it a month earlier since it is now 40 overnight compared to 60 overnight then.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I actually just too two roos to a local place for slaughter this morning, we tried finding someone to take them and had no real interest. We're also not allowed roosters by a noise ordinance and they had finally started crowing loudly and crow collars didn't quiet them enough so that the HOA that backs up to our property wouldn't complain, we didn't want to risk being able to keep our layers to try and get some chicks. Felt kinda strange but as one poster said they had months of good days and 2 bad hours. Was kinda strange getting a bag of warm meat back from the place though.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Amber has improved significantly since the tick and worm treatment. Stools are almost normal now. She eats like a horse. Quite a friendly chook too. Looking at her options with the rest of the crew but I might be looking at making a bespoke house for her as she is finding getting up difficult with her wonky leg.

I needed this good news today thanks. She looks great!

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

:stoked:

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

That Works posted:

What do you cold-weather types like to use for watering during the winter?

I have a 5g bucket waterer hanging in the run and was looking at just putting in an electric de-icer ring for that maybe, but wasn't sure if there was a better / safer option.

Electric water bucket warmer kept our water liquid thru a Chicago winter last year.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So my girls decided they were super angry at the heating lamp in their roosting area and they knocked it outside and onto the ladder.

This promptly began igniting the ladder and causing smoke to billow out of the chicken coop and my wife to run upstairs screaming and waking me up this morning.

So now they have no heating lamp. And they refused to go upstairs because they couldn’t see. So I had to hold a flashlight up to allow them to walk up the ramp at the pace they felt was needed and find their spots on the roosts. This resulted in me standing in 20 degree snow with a flashlight waiting for chickens to go upstairs for 15 minutes.

I’m not going to need to kill them they are going to die of stupidity any day now.

Why are you using a heating lamp? Like everything I have ever read says they only start fires exactly how you just described.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Ask my wife. She demanded a heating lamp even though chicken don’t need one. She has changed her point of view now.

I tell everyone not to use them but you know.... she says it must be done it just be done.

Been there. What you described is why the hardware cloth for my run is dug 2 loving feet into the ground AND one foot out.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
You really don't need a heater unless you only have 2 or 3 birds. Even then you should just make a smaller coop.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If you have chicken wire and not hardware cloth as your protection anywhere I would look at that more closely first. Also sorry about you losing your bird :(

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I give them to people at work who have gone out of their way to help me as a 'grease the wheels' thank you and we trade them for all sorts of stuff on FB marketplace. My wife gets furniture or old clothes that we resell all the time.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
2x3s are quite strong you should be fine using them.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
We just did our 3rd batch of chicks but this time we hatched eggs under a broody hen. 100% will go this way in the future. The chicks are much quieter and better behaved. They haven't once knocked over their food or waterers in 4 days so far. Ill have pics sometime soon to share.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I found using 1/4" was easy and I had great luck attacking it using screws and washers. Not super cheap but hasn't needed any work in 2 years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
We had a chicken suddenly die overnight, my wife found her face down in the run this morning. Does anyone have any experience with contacting your local ag extension office about getting an autopsy done? Here in Illinois I can't find any info that they do that in in department of agriculture website. Or should we not worry about just one bird and wait to see if we lose any more? We have 19 more. It does not seem to be a predator at all.

Edit: I think I got audio from one of our cameras of her dying. Sounds like a squak and then total silence. Seems to fit the descriptions I've read of chickens falling over dead from heart attacks. Could also explain why she was the first one out of the coop this am.

Source4Leko fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 23, 2021