Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
COOP!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

piscesbobbie posted:

LOOKS AMAZING! GREAT JOB! Do I have permission to print a copy of your finished product?

By all means go ahead.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
The girls go outside this weekend. Belinda, the largest, has finished cheeping and is now letting loose with some hysterical scratchy bokbokboks. I can't believe the Marans are almost 3 months old. They are so big! It's funny to hear the two little girls cheeping like crazy, Prissy doing little hoarse sounding cheeps and Belinda boking away.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

You cant be blamed, he does have a brony avatar.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
So the girls are outside. They spent last night in the coop, 3 of them stayed on the roosts one of them decided roosts were for chumps and sat in front of the vent looking out. Now they all came downstairs in the morning but the two oldest said outside was for suckers and went back in the coop and won't leave it, stupid chooks.

Edit: well they all ended up coming out and enjoying themselves. Here are all the girls enjoying their first ever day outside.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 13, 2013

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
So the sun went down and they all started making all kinds of racket. I put them in their coop and they got even more upset. Poor stupid things.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

piscesbobbie posted:

Wow, Wheaten Marans are BEAUTIFUL!

They really are! I have cuckoo Marans myself and they aren't anywhere near as good looking,

Does anyone know what my birds are trying to say when they all ave their mouths open? They will all come to the side of the run and sit there staring at me with their beaks halfway open and cheep/cluck constantly. They have plenty of food and water!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
New game for the dog "Stare at chickens."

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Inveigle posted:

Ahhh! This is just too adorable! :D

Errant Gin Monks: Your new coop set-up looks great! You should provide a pad for the dog to lay on so he'll be comfortable watching over the chickens!

I would never be able to get her back inside if she was comfortable there. When they go to bed at night she looks just devastated.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
So it rained really hard today and I was wondering how my hens would take their first rainstorm. Turns out the coop and run are pretty nicely water proof, but that didnt stop them from walking toward where the water was falling in with the wind and standing there getting drenched staring at the sky and shaking their heads.

What a bunch of idiots.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Schlinky posted:

Ah, my bad. I'm based in Sydney, so for the most part it's generally dry. It's not too bad during the winter, though it can hit mid 30s°C (90s°F) in the summer.

Unfortunately there isn't a huge variety in my area for breeds, as I've just discovered, but one website I've found does include a fair mix (Australorp, Aracauna, Leghorns, Sussex, etc):

http://citychicks.com.au/category/chickens-for-sale/

As far as my own experiences go, I raised a few Leghorns I think, who were terrified of everything. One night we were missing two of them, only to discover about an hour later that they had decided to roost in the trees, about 10 metres above us. Took those two a while for them to accept the coop. :D

edit: I'm currently leaning towards getting the Australorp, Araucana and Sussex, but I'm unsure about the last one, or any of their temperaments beyond the Australorps. Any suggestions there?

Get a Rhode Island Red if you can. They are pretty, relatively friendly and prolific layers. I love my girl, Strawberry. She is the friendliest chicken we have.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So I have a question here. With something like this do you treat them as run chickens or do you let them out as free range when they get older? Just curious as I love the look of this setup

Well that's the run so the majority of their time they spend in there. But they come out every day for about an hour towards sunset and then if we are home on the weekends they are out for longer. The run isn't huge, but it's 10ft x 6ft so the 4 of them have space to dust bathe and run around.

It needs to be raked out and new sand added very so often though since they are poo poo machines, but the maintenance is pretty easy.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

unprofessional posted:

Lost some of my coolest chickens to raccoons. :( Bummer, but have the coop better secured now, and good plans for coop expansion. Also, 'coon scalped one of the chickens, taking a part of its skull off, as well as part of the beak, and the chicken's fine. :aaa: Hangs out by the house now and won't go near the other chickens, but eats just fine and I can't find a reason to put it down while it's doing so well. Only worry is he/she's roosting somewhere outside and won't go to the barn, so something might get it at some point anyways.

Chicken the Duck says hello!

The real ducks say hello, too.

Dude your chicken is missing part of its skull and beak and you think its doing well? There was a chicken back in the 30s that lost its whole beak and most of its head but the brain stema nd lived for years. Thats no kind of life being a headless or half headless chicken. I know its hard but it would be easier to finish the job and eat it then it would be to let the poor thing keep going.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Lyz posted:

Guys where did my cute chicks go?

Definitely time to get them in the coop, which thankfully only needs a door because they are seriously outgrowing the box. Run's not finished yet so they'll just be inside the coop for the week it'll take to finish that, which is probably a good thing so they get nice and used to it.

Changing the box is definitely an interesting task now that they feel they have to show me every which way they can fly. One tries to flap up the open lid, the other just goes for it and ends up in the litterbox... another managed to crash land in the recycling bin. Fun fun. At least the coop has a nice big log they can go and perch up on and have a little room to stretch their wings.

Ahahaha the awkward teenager stage! I thought they were hysterical when mine were that age. They did the same ballistic attack thing of insane flapping and smashing into things.

Now they rarely leave the ground except to go into the coop. I have a nice big ramp and they just bypass the whole thing and fly directly up into the coop from the ground, same when they leave it. They get to the first rung of the ramp and just jump down the rest of the way.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Lyz posted:

Yeah the only exasperating part about it is when they take off, hit the floor, and immediately poo poo on the rug.

One of them dive bombed right in front of my big orange wuss of a cat, that was a pretty amusing stare down. Insta cat statue until he finally lost his nerve and ran away.

One of ours landed in our bunny run. Then got charged by the fat rabbit, freaked out, and ended up smashing Into the bookshelf and landed on a stack of papers, which promptly slide down and deposited said chicken into an open box.

The whole thing was amazing and took about 15 seconds. Ended with a chicken cheeping loudly stuck in a box and a very smug looking fat rabbit in chest out pose of victory.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

cucurbit posted:

Q (RIR, unsure if she's a she or a he at the moment):

Not pictured; Dodo, another RIR, who is smaller than Q and very goofy/skittish.

I feel bad for my RIR, Strawberry. She is the sweetest of the bunch but dumb as a sack of hammers.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Anyone else battling the heat with their chickens? This sucks and I'm afraid I'll lose some birds but don't know what else I can do. :(

I put in a 25 dollar misting system from home depot since it hit 108 here the other day. I knew the heatwave was coming so I put it in when it was still in the 90s. I have it on a timer to go on at 2:30 and off at 7:30. It barely uses any water and the chickens hate it and hide on the other side of the run, but it really cools the air temp down. On the down side it makes their run kind of wet, so I added a bunch more sand so there isnt mud just clumpy sand. I also toss in a wedge of frozen watermelon for them all to eat at around 5:15 when I get home every day. It seems to help.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Been doing more work on the coop. Eggbox is attached and trimmed and we painted!
(not quite done painting, need to finish out the corners and edges)

The tubing you see is the misting system, the wire by the Eggbox is the extension cord that runs the coop fan. It's a box fan pointing up and sitting on the mesh above their coop. It really helps move the air at night.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 5, 2013

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

spookygonk posted:

Pip, one of our ex-batts retired hens enjoying the sunshine today. She was severely under the weather a few weeks ago (most likely due to the suprelorin implant), but has perked up considerably, even though she's going through a huge moult now.

Oh my god she is so cute sleeping like that. :3:

Do you adopt them from commercial farms?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Lynza posted:

We'll need a people-door. Any suggestions from folks who've made their own coops?

If I had to do it again?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EMCO-100...l2#.UdsI4r1NSrs

I made my own and getting that bastard to fit took some (read: a whole lot of) sanding, and when it gets real humid and the wood swells it still sticks pretty bad.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Bantaras posted:

Are you gonna use sand in your coop?
That's what I'm using and it works great!

There is sand in the run, I dmup in fresh sand every other month and put the sand I rake out weekly into the compost pile. In the coop itself its pine/aspen shavings. Easier to clean that way. The egg boxes are full of hay.

Edit: I haven't had lice on my girls but a friend did. They blasted the chickens with Sevin dust every two weeks for 2 months, Backyard chickens said to put sevin medicated powder in a trash bag, stuff the chicken in it with its head sticking out and shake the bag around to coat the bird, then let it out. Do this with all the chickens. Lice can't really live off its host for long, so no need to treat the area.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 10, 2013

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
We put frozen bottles in their waterer every morning when we change the water out. It seems to help. But the mister (which they hate) does a good job cooling everything down.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Ahahahaha I like Tetrazzinis crow the best. Its quieter.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

unprofessional posted:

Had one of my ladies lay their first egg yesterday.

...on the driveway. :rolleyes:

That sounds so... chickeny.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Velvet Sparrow posted:

They look like Asils (Aseel) http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Games/Asil/BRKAsil.html

Your basic model chicken. :keke:

Aren't Asils like fresh from the jungle cock fighting chickens?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I feel like buying quail eggs when my girls go broody and just letting them begin infesting the neighborhood.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Pardalis posted:

If you do want quail running around, try bobwhites or whatever quail species is native to your area and legal to keep. The coturnix are stupidly domesticated and won't make it more than a few days out there :downs:

Bobwhites are native to my region of Texas. It's probably illegal to let the free range but whatever.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Possibly they weren't clipped enough, then. Here's how I've always done mine--this page discusses the 'whys and hows' of the right way and wrong way to clip wings: http://birdmart.com/wings.html

My girls have gotten to coming out of the run and immediately trying to get airborne. They dont go anywhere but they zoom to the garden and begin to feast. I think its clipping time.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

unprofessional posted:

Begone, vile human.

That duck ghost is melting into the straw!! RUN AWAY!!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
THE GHOST DUCK!!!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Inveigle posted:

LOL! I actually took this image into Photoshop and lightened it, trying to figure it out! :D

I think that right at the bottom edge of the shed (in the upper middle of the photo), there's some worn-off paint that mimics the shape of a duck (but it's the reverse of the white duck).

Oh...here...

Look at the very top of the photo in the middle between the gray chute thing and the frame for the wheels. The grey ghost duck that was melting into the straw is sitting in the hay being all ducky.

I Love Topanga posted:

Last night I two of my five chickens were killed by a raccoon. Two seem to be completely unscathed,but it's the last one I'm worried about.

She doesn't have any cuts or wounds on her body and she is eating, drinking, and walking around just fine. However, her face has a good amount of blood on it, and one of her eyes is about half closed with a yellowish crust. It looks like she may have had blood coming from her nose at one point, and her breathing has a slight rattle. Her crop is nice and full and her attitude is just about the same as usual, albeit a little more tepid.

Here are two pictures, be warned it is a chicken that is beat up.
http://imgur.com/Q1bCflw
http://imgur.com/dfvxuWb

Does anyone have any advice? Do I need to put her down? Chickens are not very popular in my city so I do not know of any veterinarians that I can take her to.

Poor girls. None of my birds have been injured before so I couldnt tell you what to do aside from maybe clean her up with a washcloth and warm water and see if there is any damage to her beak and eye. How did the racoon get in?

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 16, 2013

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

unprofessional posted:

Broody bitches.

Three white muscovies, two pekins, and Chicken the Duck. Chicken was busy roosting with the chickens when that was taken this morning.

I love that stupid duck.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Lynza posted:

Oops, I may be wrong - I thought it was you who posted pictures of the coop you built, but I may be wrong. It's been known to happen (often).

If it was the red coop with the sloped metal roof that was mine. Also how the hell do chickens get into the road?

unprofessional posted:

Broody bitches.

Three white muscovies, two pekins, and Chicken the Duck. Chicken was busy roosting with the chickens when that was taken this morning.

My wife is demanding video of Chicken the duck being all chickeny. Can you make this happen?

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 19, 2013

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Pogonodon posted:

I put the baby guineas into the baby pen yesterday. And the raccoon was wandering around the pen just after dusk. Got a good raccoon trap, set it up nearby, smelly bait...
And I go out this morning to see she somehow managed to take the trap arm apart and never set off the door. :argh:
I went out during the night and she had managed to work her arm through two layers of fencing and had a baby guinea by her tailfeathers, slowly pulling her up to the wall. :stare: at me, dropped the bird and humpran away.
I'm not really sure what to do now. Should I set up the trap again tonight and hope she triggers it this time, just wait with a gun, or both?

Buy some 1/4 inch hardware cloth and screw it into the inside of the fence they are behind. That way coons cant get their grubby paws through it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
That chickenduck is awesome.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I saw the Roos, they are really pretty. But there is a loving duck that's convinced it's a chicken. That's way more entertaining.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Grape Soda posted:

Whoops, fixed now!

I still haven't come up with a name for my black Australorp. In my usual weird naming fashion, I called her Craig out of nowhere, but Craig doesn't seem to fit her.

She's getting out of her awkward stage and into the pretty stage. She's about two months old now.

Our white Australorp is named sunshine. Yours can be nighttime.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Lynza posted:

My husband watched it. He said, at the beginning, "I'm not that bad." Then when she got to the part where the woman says, "I'm a farmer now!" he started giggling and didn't stop until the end.

Have I mentioned we're getting goats next year?

Hahaha I'm doing quail and hopefully tilapia next year. Now I need a goat.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Inveigle posted:

You can get a blue Barnvelder chick for only $89.00! That's a bargain, compared to the $2500 one!

Man...so many pretty chickens!

That chicken is beautiful.

The being said, here they are much cheaper

http://www.rockin-g-ranch.com/fancychickorders.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
My oldest hens are 20 weeks tomorrow. Where are my eggs you little bastards!! :argh:

Also for content...

This is Sunshine, the white Australorp. Her wattles are coming in strong. Her and Strawberry are 17 weeks old now.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 22, 2013