Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Turbinosamente posted:

Definitely separating art from artist a little hard on this one. I kinda remember pre-cancellation Family Guy being passable? Ish? But after it came back it went from bad to worse in more ways than just offensive jokes. I'm afraid to look back at the first couple of seasons because I probably remember it being better than it was, and the show skated a bit by just daring to be different than The Simpsons at the time of its debut.

I liked pre-cancellation Family Guy but I was also 12 or 13 years old when that came on, there are a couple gags I still laugh about but I'm sure the show itself wouldn't hold up for me now. I do remember that the original run was more based around non-sequiturs rather than the mean spirited edgelord poo poo it would become in its revival. In this case separating the art from the artist doesn't apply because his art is the problem. I'm not going to be a dick to you if you like his music because god knows I like music by a whole bunch of people that are/were terrible, I'm just saying that I hate him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Any idea how long the uDiscover sale lasts? I'd really like to wait until payday on Friday and this has been the most reliable way I've come to pick up Tone Poet releases...

Ballz fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 3, 2020

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

caligulamprey posted:

That one wasn't working for me on anything I threw at it, but I did just use the code !TRICKORTREAT10 and got $10 off and got the record for $8.19. :getin:

Haha thanks dude, with the sale, the free shipping, and the code, I replaced my water-damaged original of The Mix-Up for $7.90 :hellyeah:

I briefly flirted with getting the Abbey Road deluxe 3 LP, but just couldn’t justify $63 or anywhere near that. It’s the only Beatles album I truly enjoy listening to as an album, just not in the mood to give Paul $63 for it. Of course by this morning the regular edition was sold out.

pwn fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 3, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I was going to get the soundtrack to the new twin peaks series but it doesn't have all the songs! Including "a violent but flammable world" by au revoir simone which is my favorite one. wtf is that poo poo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Peaks%3A_Music_from_the_Limited_Event_Series

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

Haha thanks dude, with the sale, the free shipping, and the code, I replaced my water-damaged original of The Mix-Up for $7.90 :hellyeah:

I briefly flirted with getting the Abbey Road deluxe 3 LP, but just couldn’t justify $63 or anywhere near that. It’s the only Beatles album I truly enjoy listening to as an album, just not in the mood to give Paul $63 for it. Of course by this morning the regular edition was sold out.

We should all buy as many copies of that album with Temporary Secretary as we can afford and destroy them to they can be taken them out of circulation forever.

This whole thing reminds me of that time when Best Buy apparently had no idea what the gently caress to do with records so they were just selling everything for five bucks and there was an immediate :goon:.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That's a rad loving sale. I just picked up the first 3 Elvis Costello albums and pre-ordered the Social Network deluxe soundtrack for $60

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I was going to get the soundtrack to the new twin peaks series but it doesn't have all the songs! Including "a violent but flammable world" by au revoir simone which is my favorite one. wtf is that poo poo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Peaks%3A_Music_from_the_Limited_Event_Series

You telling me this isn't your favorite?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6KHdHygZ6k

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Trying to keep busy so I'm not looking at the news all day. Decided to clean up my basement and give my little studio corner a bit of atmosphere.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the lamp makes it

pwn
May 27, 2004

That’s a drat purty corner

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Turtle power!!!

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

CPL593H posted:

And re: Seth McFarlane. Family Guy had the most transphobic "joke" I've ever seen second only to Ace Ventura so I just think he's a huge piece of poo poo. Plus his lovely cartoons are a cancer on the medium of television. This one isn't a valid criticism, but I just think he's got a super weird looking face that I find uncomfortable to look at. It's kind of uncanny valley and almost reminds me of the aliens from Fire in the Sky.

don't wanna derail this thread too much but I think of Seth MacFarlane much like I do Frank Zappa, smart dude who blew nearly all his talent doing lovely lowbrow humor with the obvious subtext of "this stuff is beneath my genius but it makes you idiots laugh", but occasionally he does do something that impresses me. have heard a lot of stories about the guy's obsession with his own appearance which explains his odd face

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

JAMOOOL posted:

Frank Zappa, smart dude who blew nearly all his talent doing lovely lowbrow humor

:psyboom:

hexwren posted:

the lamp makes it

It really ties the room together. Ripped it outta the wall at my grandparents house before they sold it. It's a really cool sconce from the restaurant they co-owned in the 70's. They base is a brass filigree torch handle but I have it upside down.

pwn posted:

That’s a drat purty corner

Thanks. Love me some Turtles.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Some idiot is having a meltdown in my discogs inbox because I said that I'd like to shop where he shops if he can get sealed original Eno pressings for 20 bucks when he posted that on an album's page. On the comments for the album, I didn't actually message him.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

Some idiot is having a meltdown in my discogs inbox because I said that I'd like to shop where he shops if he can get sealed original Eno pressings for 20 bucks when he posted that on an album's page. On the comments for the album, I didn't actually message him.

need a screenshot of this inbox. for fun.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

need a screenshot of this inbox. for fun.

So looking back at his first message maybe I was the one who kicked it off. But he also comes off as a smarmy prick and if he actually had any interest in helping me find that poo poo he would have put it in the message, so I think he was being exactly as much of an rear end in a top hat as I thought. Plus his original message on the comments section was all bitchy and pretentious so between that and his meltdown I think this guy just goes looking for arguments.

And yeah I have some old posts here and there with my usual "Why the gently caress is this so expensive?" stuff but it's not constant and it's super weird that he'd look those up.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 6, 2020

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Check your oblique strategies cards before responding to him.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

a "five-fold markup!" that's a bargain if I ever heard of one before.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

a "five-fold markup!" that's a bargain if I ever heard of one before.

I think he was expecting me to grovel so he'd sell me whatever poo poo he has but I mean, holy poo poo who cares? He doesn't even sell anything on discogs there's just a message in his profile about how terrible discogs is. I was just looking around to see what's up with those Eno reissues from Astralwerks because I've heard mixed things and I ordered them from that sale that was posted here.

Does it look like I was the one who overreacted or was he the one being the dick first? His initial message sounded really condescending to me.

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Check your oblique strategies cards before responding to him.

I just want to say that this is a very good joke. I told him that if I could blow myself I wouldn't be wasting time engaging dipshits on the internet. I'm not going to communicate with him again but I really hope he replies to that.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Was this a funk record? Old boomer funk collectors are loving bonkers.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CPL593H posted:

those Eno reissues from Astralwerks

my astralwerks tiger mountain sounds just fine

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

screaden posted:

Was this a funk record? Old boomer funk collectors are loving bonkers.

Nah it was an Eno album. What's funny is that I checked his wantlist and he has several of the Eno albums on there that he claims you can get cheap sealed copies of.

hexwren posted:

my astralwerks tiger mountain sounds just fine

The complaints have been with Discreet Music and the Ambient albums. I kind of knew that going in but some people have said there's no issues but I got both of them for about a buck more than one goes for (shipping included), so I figured I'd roll the dice.. Did you buy that reissue right when it came out? The problem ones are supposed to have been those pressed right when they first dropped. I would also think that the more rock oriented albums would make any kind of noise much less audible for the most part.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

shamefully bought that Floral Shoppe drop.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
If a record I’m interested in has light spindle wear should that put me off from buying it? Is it purely an aesthetic blemish or would something like that negatively affect the sound?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ballz fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 3, 2021

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Did you buy that reissue right when it came out? The problem ones are supposed to have been those pressed right when they first dropped. I would also think that the more rock oriented albums would make any kind of noise much less audible for the most part.

I will be absolutely honest, I have no idea when I got it. It wasn't long after it came out, but it wasn't immediately.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
More Bandcamp Friday: Bongripper is releasing a remastered version of Satan Worshipping Doom today, a very good album.

https://bongripper.bandcamp.com/
https://www.instagram.com/bongripperdoom/?hl=en

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Les Os posted:

If a record I’m interested in has light spindle wear should that put me off from buying it? Is it purely an aesthetic blemish or would something like that negatively affect the sound?

That's really a case by case basis. If it's just marks on the label and not the actual disc it's fine. It just comes from people going to put it down and not being able to find the clit spindle. I've done it a whole bunch of times.

hexwren posted:

I will be absolutely honest, I have no idea when I got it. It wasn't long after it came out, but it wasn't immediately.

Boooooo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

incoherent posted:

shamefully bought that Floral Shoppe drop.

Oh lord, another one? Same people or?

Not that it matters, mine should be here any day now.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Time to expand!

Just gotta put 3 more doors on, and mount the top one to the wall so my kids don't pull it down. Looking forward to that Cowboy Bebop record this month, and my first Third Man Vault in December.

Edit: done!

no broccoli please fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 6, 2020

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh lord, another one? Same people or?

Not that it matters, mine should be here any day now.

Apparently TTL got an "illegal" pressing from the plant (Old English spelling bees words, not TTL). Somehow plants do re-runs of jobs and sell them directly to distributors? Never seen that before.

When people emailed TTL they stated "It's not technically a bootleg, but it's not an official pressing either."

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

dorium posted:

https://bandcamp.com/dorium

anything from my collection. those Wax Chattels releases are ace!

Picked up Clot, I'm absolutely loving it.

There was a lot more I wanted, but I forgot how much shipping is from Europe. But my friend did this and I gave him some money, you should too.

https://everythingleftunsaid.bandcamp.com/album/we-are-all-so-insignificant

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

incoherent posted:

Apparently TTL got an "illegal" pressing from the plant (Old English spelling bees words, not TTL). Somehow plants do re-runs of jobs and sell them directly to distributors? Never seen that before.

When people emailed TTL they stated "It's not technically a bootleg, but it's not an official pressing either."

The weirdest release on the planet gets weirder. Half of me thinks any new Floral pressing is just Todd under a new name.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

My pal is selling some of his band shirts for pretty cheap. Comes with a digital copy of their new single as well.

https://perfectbuzz.bandcamp.com/merch

pwn
May 27, 2004

Your friends THE Golden booTs have volume two of their chill desert drivin instrumentals available in the collectable green tape with big small book !

quote:

Professionally duplicated 40 min green cassette of Night Drives Vol. II
PLUS
A mini cassette sized 8 postcard booklet designed by Golden Boots.
8 mini postcards (approx. 4"x3") with reproductions of art made by Dimitri and Ryen that comes in a little mini postcard folder.
DOWNLOAD of the FULL album will be immediately available with a pre-order!!!
*****************************************************************************************
Limited to 50 copies

I wouldn’t doubt there will eventually be a vinyl release from PiaPtK and maybe a CD version too at some point. For reference, there was a gulf of 16 months between the initial Bandcamp CD/cassette release of Night Drives vol 1 and the PiaPtK vinyl. For $13 shipped you get to drive in style right now and you’ll get neat postcards and a tape in time for Christmas. :clint:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

sporklift posted:

My pal is selling some of his band shirts for pretty cheap. Comes with a digital copy of their new single as well.

https://perfectbuzz.bandcamp.com/merch

Pretty good band shirts!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
is that a Beatles in Mono? jealous.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

Your friends THE Golden booTs have volume two of their chill desert drivin instrumentals available in the collectable green tape with big small book !

I wouldn’t doubt there will eventually be a vinyl release from PiaPtK and maybe a CD version too at some point. For reference, there was a gulf of 16 months between the initial Bandcamp CD/cassette release of Night Drives vol 1 and the PiaPtK vinyl. For $13 shipped you get to drive in style right now and you’ll get neat postcards and a tape in time for Christmas. :clint:

I was able to pick up a copy of V.1 that I had forgot about. Thanks.

The Walrus posted:

is that a Beatles in Mono? jealous.

The mono box is white. I was able to pick one up on clearance a couple years ago. Looks like the price jumped a little since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

sporklift posted:

The mono box is white. I was able to pick one up on clearance a couple years ago. Looks like the price jumped a little since then.

I too zeroed in on that with my jealousy, instead of your fine cabinetry with the doors in a cool checkered pattern.

Also they're heeeeeeeere:

Though I am down to a potato camera for pictures at the moment. And the other half I ordered later have yet to arrive.