Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

rockinricky posted:

After more than 40 years, one of our local record stores is closing down. It was in a perfect place, there is a dispensary right across the street. Score weed, score tunes. Soon, not anymore without more traveling.

RIP Independent Records Pueblo.

One reason they gave was that people are getting their music online. Record stores being killed by the same thing that's killing magazines and newspapers.

I think I went there once or twice with my stoner friends when I was in high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Got ahold a a Takanaka repress, this album has a goofy samba cover I won't spoil; my dogs didn't like the bongos and referee whistling in it. Also these LitA Japanese Jazz and Funk compilations continue to own.

And a Tale of Two Kurodas: I saw Takuya Kuroda in Stockholm last fall and then preordered the album from Bandcamp, which was supposed to ship in November. Never got a notification, tracking, anything. Finally follow up with customer service in late Jan and they hook me up with a guy who just drops another copy in the mail, no tracking number, Royal Mail got hit with a virus, yadda yadda. So then 3-4 weeks ago the copy on the right shows up, and then a couple weeks later the one on the left shows up. Good thing they sent two! Record seems to be ok though.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

TrixRabbi posted:

Hell yeah.

Random silly question but curious to pose it to the thread. Who are your favorite "Thrift Store Canon" artists? I.E. the hokey names you see pop up again and again and again in dusty old thrift store record collections. I gotta give a shoutout to Johnny Horton, who's actually some pretty fun classic country. Worth spending 50 cents or a dollar or whatever on one of those greatest hits collections next time you run across one.

Our first Chet Atkins record was “Caribbean Guitar” that my wife picked up on a whim, it’s probably my favorite but if I see him in the bin and the price is right I’ll probably pick it up.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

joylessdivision posted:

So I just ordered this album based on the cover alone:
And then found the music video and :allears: I can't wait til it arrives

https://youtu.be/PfAu8vqAHxc

Hell yeah

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

The Hiroshi Nagai cover art collection grows...

Also Skull Sessions is a ripping cover too imo

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Read After Burning posted:

:hfive: Nice, I have Notam of Wind OST arriving in a few days! $70 was kind of rough, but I was able to justify it by the fact that I've had the OST on a loop in my office for almost three weeks now.

What a weird lil' thing! Tempted to try to check out the game now...

Yeah $70 was steep, but I got a gift card for xmas so... :homebrew:

I actually bought the game a while ago but I only have a US PS3 as far as something that will play PS1 games. I think I have the rom somewhere too but haven't tried to emulate it.

Arcella fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 12, 2023

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I'm hoping the HORSE release is niche enough it will still be around when I make my way over to the store at some point, maybe Sunday afternoon.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

A few sold out basically instantly, but LitA has some Tatsuro Yamashita (king of city pop!) represses:

https://lightintheattic.net/shelves/Tatsuro%20Yamashita

Bummed I missed For You, but I did snag Greatest Hits and Moonglow. :3: Fingers crossed that Circus Town will still be around on Monday when I get paid!

These are still up for preorder at HMV Japan, I preordered For You and S P A C Y , with shipping was 12,000 yen/$88, which is still less than preordering from LitA.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
There sure are a lot of them!

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Found another Kevin Eubanks and this Mystic Merlin record which apparently did not get a very large pressing.

There was another DeBarge album in the bins but I didn't like the songs as much:

What I do need is a 5 boroughs-style shirt that says James, Bunny, Eldra, Mark, & Randy

Also I'd had my eye out for the Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose record for a while because it has the hot 60's bangers "Treat her like a lady" and "Too late to turn back now"

Arcella fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 6, 2023

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Sex Robot posted:

Found this meaty boy looking metal as gently caress in a charity shop

This is the guy from that goofy horror movie right?

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Got my Tatsuro Yamashita records in from HMV Japan, also with small stickers (?) of the album covers.

P A C Y

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Soundburgers back in stock at Turntable Lab but not the yellow <:mad:>

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Hell yeah Powerlight is one of my favorites.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Hot Topic and Hastings prior to like 2011-2012 was where I got all my most valuable records. According to Discogs, anyway.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
My wife and I have been trying to do less "sit and watch TV while also just being on our phones" So we'll listen to records some evenings. Last Friday I had time to go by the local record shop:

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Cedar Walton and Pharoah Sanders are probably my two favorite non-Japanese jazz artists. :love:

Ugh I’ve been on-again off-again looking for a copy of Mobius for a decent price for a while now.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

My Black Friday order from LitA showed up after sitting in a distribution center for like a week.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I will always recommend the Charlie Brown Christmas record, other than the nostalgia factor it’s just solid mid century jazz. Otherwise I have two Amy Grant Christmas records; I cannot say if they are “good” because I’m too biased by nostalgia.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I do kinda want a SoundBurger.

SoundBurger.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Some of the jazz stuff looks neat but I ain’t waiting in line to eagerly pay $40-50 for a new record. These days digging through the bins for surprises is more fun.

My favorite is finding records on different visits with “Property of X” handwritten in the cover, and being like “Dang Mr. and Mrs. Joe Carter had good taste.”

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Recent pickups from Light in the Attic:

Exotic Moog is weird but a lot of fun.

And today my wife got released early from jury duty so we went to In n Out and the local record shop:

and get a load of these guys from Mazarati:

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Looks like BBE is doing/has done represses of their "J Jazz Deep Modern Jazz from Japan" series of albums.

and a pretty neat book up on Light in the Attic, kinda wished I hadn't blown my Christmas money on other stuff there last week.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Fun!

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Wasn’t that run by a goon? Too bad, I got some Piper and Momoko Kikuchi releases from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Got some new stuff in from Light in the Attic:

Also was in New Orleans last week and didn't have as much time to hit up record stores as I would have liked but stopped by Peaches Records and got this:

It's a neat place but none of their used records were under $10 for albums (that I picked up). But seemed like a pretty broad selection of New Orleans-focused music which is cool.