Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Nosferatu Man posted:

Did anyone get the Eraserhead OST? I'm waiting for the second pressing to ship, wondering about the extra treats.

It's absolutely awesome. I got the deluxe hand numbered version with the outer sleeve (which was sealed with stamped wax). The poster is full size (might be deluxe version only), the prints look great (one is the baby, one is the baby's head on Henry's body, and the third is the Man in the Planet), and the book looked quality even though I've only briefly flipped through it.

Here's a crappy cellphone pic of it on my lovely futon

I actually had no idea the 7" even existed until right before I took the pic. When I first opened it and went through everything I didn't find it.

Kevar fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
I'm pretty sure any Envy release that Temporary Residence Limited puts out is fairly easy to find. I see them at record stores all the time. I'm pretty sure every Hot Topic has at least half a dozen copies of the (amazing) Thursday split sitting around.

When TRL first put out All the Footprints, A Dead Sinking Story, Compiled Fragments, and Abyssal I preordered them as a bundle and ended up with a free Mono DVD and EITS- The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place LP.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

CPL593H posted:

I know. That's what I was saying. Plus the CDs sounded awesome. As far as I'm concerned there's nothing more to be done. Plus it's not exactly hard to find a Beatles album on vinyl. Use all that wax to reissue Beck's 90s albums.

The worst part is they are releasing the stereo reissues now and they have plans to release the whole thing again in mono next year.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

eggsovereasy posted:

Has this been confirmed?

I'd like some Beatles on vinyl, but would rather have mono.

There's no official date or everything I've read about the reissues has mentioned that the mono release will be sometime in 2013.

I know it doesn't matter but not knowing the colorways for the new Converge is killing me.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
At my cousin's wedding last month the guestbook was a DMB 2xLP. I went up to sign it and thought "Oh, that's a cool idea...wait, god dammit"

DMB plays two shows near my hometown every summer and it's the worst thing ever. It completely fucks up the highway and the entire area surrounding the venue. Drunk high school kids god drat everywhere.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

alg posted:

ugh what is going on with vinyl. Code Orange Kids just changed estimated delivery to Jan 08th. FML

That's weird, I swear deathwish posted pics of that record a week or so ago.

Waiting on the new Converge is killing me. I'm also waiting on the new Saddest Landscape 7" and the reissues of their first two albums. The latter was a kickstarter so obviously it's going to take longer though.

I know someone here was talking about Prawn's album and it looks like topshelf got the records in the other day.

Edit: Yup, here's the COK vinyl off of Tre from deathwish's instagram

Kevar fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 20, 2012

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

eggsovereasy posted:

What problem?

Not making every day record store day!

RSD is kind of annoying because you'll always see every exclusive up on ebay by like noon. It plays into the ebay flipper "SUPER LIMITED EDITION OOP" culture. However, it's really beneficial to record stores because of the huge surge in sales. I'm not anti-RSD, it's just not really my thing.

I am a bit of a hypocrite though. I love having the rarest variant of an album. I'd just never go out of my way or spend a buttload of money to get it. I also have no intention of ever trying to sell any of my stuff. I just like to be one of the first people to preorder something from a band I like. It's all going to sound the same, so it doesn't actually matter.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
$50 for the Nirvana - Incesticide reissue? Oh, record store day.

That's more than I have set aside for all of Black Friday (being broke sucks). I'm just going to blow all my money on Topshelf and Deathwish's sales at midnight.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Partycat posted:

Although I feel like someone would be yelling at me in that not only have I opened these to listen to them, but I have removed the shrink wrap. Oh well.

Never leave the shrink wrap on your records. Buy sleeves.

I don't listen to my vinyl because I've slowly acquired a turntable, receiver, and an EQ but I don't have speakers yet. Ever time I have money I end up spending it on records. I'll be getting speakers soon though...if I don't end up just buying more records.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

iostream.h posted:

Why sleeves instead of shrink wrap?

Also, screw speakers, get some nice headphones and sink into your sofa.

Like someone said, it can warp vinyl over time. I can't really find a consensus if it's true or not, but why risk it? My biggest thing is I just don't like the way it looks when you leave the shrink wrap on. A lot of the labels I've been ordering from the past couple years ship their stuff in sleeves instead of shrink wrap, which is awesome because I'm currently out of sleeves.

If I still smoked weed I'd get awesome headphones in a heartbeat.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Don't ever stop smoking weed.

Trust me, I'm really broken up about it. After 6 years of constant smoking it just started giving me really intense panic attacks one day about a year ago.

The ONLY upside: More money for records

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
So excited for the Until Your Heart Stops repress. I just hope they repress We Are the Romans again because I've been dreading having to eventually pay ebay prices for those records.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Parachute Underwear posted:

Per Facebook, Converge's newest is finally headed to Deathwish & Kingsroad, so orders should ship soon.

Yes! I honestly have no problem with the wait. I kinda want to punch the dude who wrote this on facebook though: "You should give the people that ordered and payed for record months ago and still haven't heard word from deathwish the colored one."

How can you be that oblivious? The preorder clearly stated "There are three colorways available from the preorder" and they sent out a few "We are so sorry, this delay is out of our hands" emails. Dude is being passive aggressive about the band having a special euro tour colorway?

I will always give DW the benefit of the doubt. If it was June and still no AWLWLB in my mailbox I still wouldn't think something shifty was up. I ordered the American Nightmare represses from a distro. When I got them, Background Noise was sealed with a "GREEN VINYL" sticker on it, I opened it up and it was 180g black. I emailed the distro and said what amounted to "Hey, my LP was sealed but labeled with the wrong color. This obviously isn't your fault and I do not care about the color at all. Just wanted to give you a heads up because I know some people are serious about that kind of thing." At no point did I contact DW. A couple months later I got a package from DW with the correct color, a bonus 7" and a hand written apology.

Good mail day today, got the new Prawn from topshelf and the new lathe cut and screened 7" from The World is a Beautiful Place and I am No Longer Afraid to Die.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

alg posted:

Topshelf :allears:

So glad they finally made back patches. Thing is huge too.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

If I had Bob Marley vinyl, I'd be mad if my cat DIDN'T do this.

(I'm a monster, I know)

edit: but seriously, my cat started sniffing around my copy of The Cure - Disintegration that I had sitting on a table one time and I almost had an aneurysm

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
For the first time in years I can listen to my records again. I'm so stoked on this it feels like I'm getting high.

Spinning Jane Doe right now and it's insane.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

FYI: I think the new Converge finally shipped. Got a tracking number today for that order, but there was no further info. It's either that or poo poo is really getting pushed back and they're sending the other stuff.

New Converge has definitely shipped. I know as of the last week of November the records were on their way from the plant. Deathwish posted a picture of a shitload of boxes ready to go out on Monday-ish. I even saw someone post a picture of their 5 copies.

My copy is currently in New Jersey which means it SHOULD be here tomorrow. When it does get here my upstairs neighbors are going to hate me.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
Listening to All We Love We Leave Behind right now.

Worth the wait. Packaging is top notch and it sounds great. I mean, that's pretty much a given with Deathwish, but still.

The translucent blue looks pretty neat.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
I like cassettes, but that's probably because I have a lovely car stereo and someone stole my ipod so my adapter is useless.

I've bought more (new) cassettes in the last 6 months than I've bought CDs in the last 6 years. I'm glad punk and punk-ish bands have been putting them out recently. I have easily 5-6 copies of The World is a Beautiful Place's Formlessness EP laying around.

But yeah, the sound isn't great.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I think the last cassette I bought was One Hot Minute in '95. I remember because it got destroyed on a road trip. It was always a huge bummer when a tape broke.

I had my car eat a brand new cassette a couple months ago because I tried rewinding it. I'd forgotten the soul crushing pain this causes.

You hear it happening but you're powerless to do anything, then anything you do do just makes it worse.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
I don't know if it was a Crosley but I had one of those combo players years ago. It scratched up a couple of my records because the needle would randomly not stay in the grooves.

I don't know if this is a common complaint, but the second time it happened I decided it wasn't a coincidence and stopped using it. I started to think maybe the records were warped, but I played one of them on my new turntable and it played just fine...except for where it was all scratched up :smith:

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

david puddy posted:

Because I had only heard good things about the album and I like coloured vinyl?
e: Also I am not going to try and flip it because that is exactly what happens in the Porcupine Tree fanbase and I hate people who do it wth a passion

There's nothing wrong with selling a record you don't particularly want. It's not like you bought it intending to flip it. People who buy records for no other reason than to flip them are the worst.

Edit: looks like het just said basically the same thing

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
Has anyone had trouble playing 10"s on an automatic turntable? (I know I know, I wish I had a manual)

For some reason mine keeps dropping the needle like 3/4 of the way through the record

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

traveling midget posted:

Autos typically only recognize 12" or 7". It knows you're not playing a 12", so it goes to where a 7" would start.

I figured that was the case. I only have like a half dozen 10"s but that's still pretty lame.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
My buddy has some crazy vacuum box contraption.

I'm really tempted to just show up at his house with a couple hundred records.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

david puddy posted:

Also they are charging $75 for international postage so if you are outside the US use a friend as an escrow or something, it's what I'm doing :wtc:

Forget about the terrifying animals and bugs and poo poo, the scariest thing I've heard about Australia is how much it costs to get vinyl shipped there. God drat.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

niff posted:

Any of you guys have any experience with lathe-cut records? It's rather rare to see them now, but interested to see if you guys had any in a collection somewhere. I'm thinking of getting some cut for my stoner/doom band on the cheap. Sources say they have incredible low end but distort (in a charming way) on the high end.

I got one recently from The World is a Beautiful Place and I am No Longer Afraid to Die, but need to widen the hole a little before I can play it.

If you're doing a small pressing it's going to be way more cost effective than regular vinyl.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

WASDF posted:

Got dis sad machine today

I love that album so much. I was spinning it just the other day.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Can't believe someone spent 10 bucks on getting me a red text.

Whoa, that's hardcore.

That dude was telling people to gently caress off right on his product's page. That's unprofessional and ridiculous. Especially since he's licensed a Disney owned property. Can't see them being ok with it if it was brought to their attention. He did take that bit down though. How hard would it have been to say something like "These are just mockups, there could be variation in the final product"?

10,000 copies is a bit excessive for a first run though. Sure Star Wars is super popular, but I can still see this guy ending up with a basement full of unwanted vinyl. The original press of the soundtrack on vinyl isn't even that rare or sought after.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

WASDF posted:

I'd be excited about some original trilogy reissues on transparent blue red and green

The original trilogy is like at least 10x more popular, so whoever does this should press no less than 100,000 each IMMEDIATELY

10,000 on SPECIAL LIMITED RARE OOP R2D2 White with silver and blue splatter

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

The Read Menace posted:

You bastards. They sent me an email saying mine was SENT today. I want it now!

Mine got delivered over a week ago, but I had it sent to my dad's house because I'm moving at the end of the month and the release date was Jan. 22. I didn't want to risk it getting delivered here after I moved. Don't know why I doubted that topshelf would send it out inhumanly fast, but now I have to drive 2 hours to go get it.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

CPL593H posted:

Considering the typical price of the album, that may take a while.

Does anyone currently have it listed for sale on discogs? If not, list it there...or just list it there in the mean time while you explore other options.

Edit: I have no experience selling vinyl, but paying extra for delivery confirmation would probably be a good idea. Then if someone claims they never got it you have a record of it being delivered.

Kevar fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 2, 2013

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Why wouldn't you want the colored version? You got something against pink, bro?

Pink vinyl is the best vinyl.

I have the pink Drive ST and it looks and sounds great.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

CPL593H posted:

It only cost me an extra dollar, so I'm not too concerned.

Not criticizing you or anything, I just strongly believe that pink vinyl looks awesome.

Apparently Tyler Stout is doing the artwork for the Mondo release, so I'm really glad I decided not to wait and went with the import. Even if it doesn't look ugly (which it probably will) that pre-order is going to be a poo poo show.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

CPL593H posted:

Are they even still doing that any more? Last I recall they were going to be putting it on sale last June, then they never said anything about it again.

As of January 2nd it was approved and at the plant being pressed, so I'm sure it'll be out sometime NEXT year. At least at the rate they've been going with it.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Dr. Lenin posted:

I wish there was a place we could buy replacement outer sleeves from, I just ripped my Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone cover and I'm OCD enough to want to buy a new copy now. :sigh:

Try emailing Temporary Residence Limited and asking if they can help you out. The album is still in print and there will always be more sleeves than records, so it can't hurt to ask.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm hoping to get Converge's Axe to Fall limited edition clear vinyl LP off ebay for $5 in the next 20 hours provided that no sonofabitch realises that it's there :swoon:

drat, $5 would be an awesome grab. If for some reason the auction skyrockets, it's still available here for $14 http://kingsroadmerch.com/converge/view/?id=1519&cid=71

Topshelf fans, they just put the new Caravels LP up.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
I know it's their release so they're obviously going to talk it up, but when the topshelf guys called it "One of the best things we'll ever release" I immediately got off the fence and patiently waited for the preorder to go up.

Topshelf basically gets first dibs at my meager disposable income whenever they put something out. I don't collect variants, but if I miss out on the vinyl bundle for The World is a Beautiful Place's LP I'll be devastated.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

To me they're what a small label should strive to emulate. They talk to people through social media, they're always throwing in posters/pins/stickers/extras, often give away coupons that don't expire, give away digital copies for orders of new releases ahead of release, good prices, awesome colourways, etc.

Basically the perfect label shopping experience.

Got the clear with blue splatter :)

I still use the same 10% off code that I got with my first order 3 years ago. Seriously can't say enough good things about them. They really are the perfect label. I wish all of my transactions could be with either them or deathwish. Count Your Lucky Stars and No Sleep are good too, but they're all the way across the country. TS and DW packages take like 2 days to get to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Tusen Takk posted:

I decided to order the clear pressing and keep the black pressing in order so I have them both, I'm apparently becoming that kind of person :v:.

Know that if you ever try to get ALL the variants, you will go insane.