Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Ferg posted:

So I'm hoping one or a few folks here can help educate me since I'm beginning to wonder if this is a defect or user error...

I recently upgraded from my old RCA LAB-1200 to a U-Turn Orbit. I really love the U-Turn and the upgrade is a ridiculous boost in sound quality, but I've been having constant trouble with it and I'm not sure if I just have terrible luck or if maybe there's something I'm doing wrong. I'm actively talking to U-Turn customer service (they're awesome) but given that they don't have a bad rep I figure it's at least worth asking. I've been collecting records for a little over a decade but having only used a piece of crap beginners table I assume there's a few tricks and whatnot to a nicer table that I'm not aware of

Basically the table works phenomenally well and then after a few days of playtime the arm stops resting into the grooves and just skids back across the record. It looks like very aggressive anti-skate, so much so that between the needle dropping and touching the record it's already well on it's way back to the resting position. They replaced the initial table citing that there was likely an issue with the tonearm itself. New table came, worked beautifully, then started doing similar behavior the other day. U-Turn suggested moving the counterweight forward 2mm. I did that, everything was great again. Then last night I put on a $2.99 Zeppelin record that has seen better days and voila, problem is back. Lots of skipping on the old piece of crap records, then when I go back to something that spun fine an hour before I feel like I need to hold the needle in place to even get it to catch whereas it was perfect before. Letting the arm drop gently like I've done in the past doesn't work, it just swings right back and may or may not have touched the surface of the record.

So, while I go back and forth with U-Turn's CS department, is there anything I should expect on a higher end table that maybe just points the finger at me being the dumbass? Should I expect old beat up piece of poo poo records to play considerably worse than before? Is it possible for a very skippy record to throw off the balance of the tonearm? Should I expect a correctly balanced tonearm to be able to sit on the outer edge of the record and slide down into the grooves? (currently it does not) Does anybody else with a U-Turn have similar issues?

What cart are you running? The stockers on new decks are usually crap. Also get a protractor and check the alignment. Other than that use a scale to check the tracking force and make sure it's within manufacturer spec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Ferg posted:

Ortofone OM 5E. The co-founder hopped on the thread earlier today and after a few detailed questions quickly offered up a replacement and upgraded the cart to boot. I honestly think I just had really bad luck. I can't find anybody else with this kind of issue on a U-Turn, especially twice in a row

For what it's worth, as bad as this experience sounds, I'm totally thrilled with the table and U-Turn. They have a reputation for stellar customer service. My biggest worry to date was that they come back with a "well we'll just refund you" because that's the exact opposite of what I'd want

Cool. Sounds like a defect cart. I just RMA'ed a Shure Whitelabel for the first time ever for total cantilever collapse. Been using them for a decade.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just got surprised by my wife with Stadium Arcadium. I happened to have a brand-new WHLB cart and threw it on with it.

Wow. This is by FAR the best pressing I have ever heard of any album, ever. Absolutely phenomenal mastering.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just picked this up:

https://www.discogs.com/%D0%9B%D0%B...release/4505604

VG+

It's Led Zep 4 AND Houses of the Holy. I think it's a "bootleg" or unofficial release.

Thought it might be a rare piece but apparently it's only worth $10-ish. Since it's not, I'll just keep it around to play it.

Also almost done adding my collection to Discogs. The app is pretty handy.

Collection Value:* Min $1,006.82 Med $1,669.46 Max $3,341.59

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

CPL593H posted:

That's pretty cool that it has alternate cover art for The Fourth Album. Also, the last goddamn thing I ever want to know is how much money I've ever spent on records.

Apparently the cover was to keep things on the dl for some reason not to run afoul of the government at the tine. Listening to it right now. It is absolutely a fantastic pressing. Like M- or VG+ easily.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Allen Wren posted:

Does literally anyone like picture discs?

Liked em when I was younger now I can't stand them. Regular black 180gram for me thx.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Finally made it through all of Starboy. Can someone explain the acclaim for this album?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

rockinricky posted:

We lost another great one today, time to complete that Chuck Berry collection. He was 90 years old.

Headed to a show today to do some digging. Let's see if I can find anything.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

revmoo posted:

Headed to a show today to do some digging. Let's see if I can find anything.

Found 2CH-0190. M-

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Kaboobi posted:

If you're struggling to find the single month membership join link (which I think they removed from the site), here you go:

https://vinylmeplease.chargebee.com/hosted_pages/plans/2017_monthly_domestic

Wait, is it 23+the album, or just the monthly fee?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It's either sold out or those referral links ain't workin

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

dorium posted:

so you're the guy.

Who cares. It's Robinhood but with (((vinyls)))

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

A personal grail.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

camoseven posted:

I've got an Audio Technica AT-LP60 turntable, and it works well enough but I'm looking to do a little upgrade. My main complaint is that the sound quality gets worse the closer it gets to the center of the record. I've been told that some of this is just due to the way vinyl works/is made, but I'm curious if a cartridge upgrade would help. I'm also slightly concerned that my setup may be tearing up my records, but I have no evidence for this other than hearing that cheap turntables can do that sometimes. Should I look into upgrading my cartridge, or would I be better off just upgrading my whole turntable? And if I can just upgrade my cartridge, do I have to get one made by AT or are they all pretty much universal as long as you get the correct size/mount?

That TT is basically the most garbage turntable on the market that isn't a Crosley. Go haunt craigslist for a <$100 vintage deck that you can hear play in person, make sure the basic parameters check out, then drop another ~$100 on a proper cartride. Buy a spare stylus while you are at it. Boom, enjoy a decade of worry free playback

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

camoseven posted:

So I guess I just need to upgrade to something better.

Yes. Get a niiiice vintage deck off Craigslist or a hanpin super OEM. You will be glad you did.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
drat you 1-click shipping

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I have like 2/3rds of the Beatles albums and Sgt. Pepper was kind of groundbreaking for its time. I have no regrets dropping 38 bucks for a pristine copy. Also gently caress bothering to wire up a mono setup. I even have the connectors but it is a hassle.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
You guys are ignorant as poo poo about vinyl setups lmao

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Ballz posted:

I'd love for a remixed/remastered Abbey Road, tho.

What is the issue with the '12 180g release?

revmoo fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 7, 2017

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Ballz posted:

The terribly panned stereo mix that plagues every Beatles album, and the number one reason neckbeards declare "the mono version is better."

Problem with Abbey Road is, no mono version exists. The 2012 stereo version remastered the audio, but the crappy left-right channel issue remains. The album has to be fully remixed to resolve the issue.

All their studio albums should get new stereo mixes, but Abbey Road needs it more than the others.

Edit: I discovered I had a blown computer speaker once when I listened to Abbey Road and could literally only hear half of the instrumentation.

Ty for recordposting.

My understanding is that there were some QC issues on the '12 press, but I think there were a lot more successful copies minted than people think. Mine has a handful of defects but it still sounds amazing imo.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I now strangly want to DJ a set with nothing but old 78s and a loop machine

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
what are some good art projects to do if you have, say, a hundred thrift store bargain bin records?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

CPL593H posted:

Donate them to a different thrift store.

I like this one best so far.

spent 30 mins on pinterest. Turns out old records are a poo poo art medium.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Enos Cabell posted:

Team up with that sex-toy goon to make some vinyl monstrosity for record store day.

sex toy goon hmu

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

seen that before, it is p. good

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Smeed posted:

2) all of their releases are hipster junk in gimmicky colors

This part pisses me off more than anything else. It's well-known that colored vinyl sounds shittier so why are they doing so many releases with it? Definitely cashing in on a trend.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

VERY COOL MAN posted:

"well known" by people who don't know what they're talking about lol. pvc is semi-opaque white by default. carbon black dye is traditionally used in vinyl records to hide flaws. maybe you're thinking of picture discs?

Rude

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
lp60 lmao

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

MrSargent posted:

I have the AT-LP120 (link below)
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turntables/583f30b3a8662772/

I am pumping it out to my powered monitors right now, KRK Rokit 6's (using a phono pre-amp in between).

Ok good you got the good one.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Wheat Loaf posted:

I recently got these. I don't usually get 45s but these sound great.

One on the right doesn't fade out, though. Sort of gets to the end of the track, jumps slightly, repeats the last snippet of it then cuts out. It's a bit odd.

You can probably fix that with an exacto knife

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

wa27 posted:

Taylor Swift's 1989 is probably as cheap as it will get right now ($12.78):

https://www.amazon.com/1989-Taylor-Swift/dp/B00P2HSETA/

Lol. Bought this on a whim. I've never even heard a taytay song (that wasn't some beep-boop techno remix). I'll throw it on with no preconceptions and see how it sounds.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Action Serious posted:

Well I guess my Vinyl Me Please account auto renewed even though I thought I for sure cancelled it after Demon Days. Now I've got a Fiona Apple record that I couldn't be less interested in on the way.

pm me for my discogs acct, if youd be interested in offering a trade

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Whats wrong with Discogs?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
No way that thing will ever put out decent sound

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
GRUV GLIDE

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
The box set for Stadium Arcadium was mastered by Steve Hoffman completely in analog and it is the best sounding pressing I've ever heard.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Boinks posted:

I think this is kinda cool because in the CD world the RHCP are known for having some of the worst, if not the worst sounding masters. Californication may be the loudest overcompressed album ever made, at least on CD.

Oh I know, the mastering on Californication is an absolute joke. I can't even listen to it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Do I need to do anything special to get one of the 3" RSD turntables tomorrow or will there be plenty of stock?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Scored an RSD3. Anywhere I can nab records for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
You're jealous it's okay