Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Yuri is a loving revelation after dumb JRPG heroes like Nowe and Emil, of Dawn of the New World infamy, thank god.

In any other game, he'd be the snarky older mentor who everyone likes but isn't the hero

See: Garrus, Auron, Balthier, FF7 Cid.

Solaris Knight fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

wdarkk posted:

I (unfortunately) know all to well about Emil, but do you mean the Nowe from Drakengard 2? I haven't been following that LP I must confess.

Nowe is basically Emil, but with a british accent.

Girl with a macguffin apocaylptic seal fetch quest, strife with the original cast, etc.

Solaris Knight fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 13, 2011

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

SweaterGear posted:

ToS 2 Emil, not Nier Emil. At least I hope that is what Solaris Knight was saying.

That was what I meant yeah.

Nier's Emil is how you do a little kid character right, and a good benchmark of how surprisingly indepth that game gets in terms of characterization.

ToS 2 Emil is a passive aggressive (literally) tool who's just bobbing along because Marta loves him for some reason and Tenebrae has the only brain cells between the three of them.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

I love how blatant the placement of Solt and Peppo- I mean Adeccor and Boccos are.

They look the same, act the same, and are tutorial bosses the same.

Still, this game is good at downplaying anime and fantasy tropes aside from those two and Estelle.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

One of the main reasons this game's characters and acting work I believe is that it all feels organic

There's no specific and convoluted mythos in place, it's just the quest of some dude to make his town survive, and everything develops naturally from that. Yuri, Estelle, and Karol are reconstructions of the usual party archetypes, but less irritating and with their own quirks and foibles, which makes them very refreshing.

The humor and characterization doesn't feel forced as a result, it's all very well acted because it feels like how most people would act in that situation, rather then the usual JRPG pathos.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Glazius posted:

I like that the reoccurring cannon fodder battles also serve as tutorials.

Chrono Cross did the same thing with Solt and Peppor, who these two really remind me of.

I think the team may have used Chrono Cross as a inspiration for the Tweedles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

He is also voiced by Jameson Price, so he may just be looking for his daughter.

I know he sounded familiar to me in the vids :aaaaa:

• Locked thread