Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

qirex posted:

if any of you saw the "remastered" Red Dwarf you can understand why I'm nervous

I didn't know that it existed until recently but yeah :smith:

From this

to this

And loving up the colors with filmizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Amethyst posted:

The newest back to earth special was embarassingly bad. They should leave Red Dwarf in the early 90s where it belongs.

It should be left in the late 80's, that's when the only good episodes were made.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

FMguru posted:

it's a kurosawa samurai film with lasers

Stylistically it's Flash Gordon meets a Spaghetti western with the script for the first movie extensively copying Kurosawa's "Hidden Fortress".

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

LooseChanj posted:

not quite, it's only the middle (rescuing the princess) that's a ripoff of Kurosawa. The attack on the death star is a shot by shot remake of the Dam Busters

I will agree to that, however the original characters that would become R2-D2 and C3PO reflect a copy of the two farmers, Tahei and Matashichi. They were supposed to be Imperial bureaucrats stuck in the middle of a hostile world, just as the farmers were wannabe soldiers stuck on the losing side of a battle. I think Lucas just flipped who won and which side was stuck in the original. Then again Luke and Obi-Wan was just the same character, and then in some draft Luke was a woman so whatever, no one will know until Lucas dies and the estate sells his past.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Sneaking Mission posted:

i listened to one of the dune prequels on a book on tape narrated by tim curry

That's not fair, Tim Curry makes everything better, look at Congo and Home Alone 2.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

LooseChanj posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Mirror-Star-Trek-Generation/dp/0671794388/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1317902154&sr=8-5

not a bad book, but kinda deprecated by the DS9 mirror eps

That was the best the cover artist could come with for Mirror-Picard? He looks more like Gurney Halleck from Dune.

law abiding rapist posted:

mirror universe eps own, it sucks there was never one during tng all the other series got one and they were all great

Literally the only good thing about Enterprise, if just for the Mirror version of first contact.

LP97S fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 6, 2011

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

You Am I posted:

Watched Dune for the first time tonight.

Well.

Theatrical or extended? Neither make any drat sense but Theatrical is more enjoyable.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

inigo monz0rya posted:

the design of everything (minus the sardaukar) owns

It was probably done as a counter to the form-fitting Fremen, but yeah it sucks.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Bad rear end Boutique posted:

speaking of clarke i just read Childhood's End

it was ok i guess? for some reason i thought it was published way later than it actually was, it's really rather dated (the word "negro" is used a handful of times, lol)

It was originally published back in the early 50's but updated a bit for the 80's, with the whole "launching unmanned satellites" becoming "fission based rockets" in the very beginning before the aliens showed up. And being British it's probably the best he could say.

FEMA summer camp posted:

Been watchin' DS9 again, I can't believe how lovely they treat Dukat. Yeah he was once overseer of Bajor or whatever but he keeps bending over backwards to be friendly/make it up to the hateful racist starfleet crew and they just keep making GBS threads all over him.

Can't really blame him for joining up with the dominion, I'd be sick of trying to make friends with a bunch of self-righteous assholes too.

That's the point, just think "Gee, why do all these countries hate America?"

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

You Am I posted:

The Lynch version, extended.

Lynch never made any version aside from the theatrical, all of the extended cuts are by Universal. Every time they've asked him to do a director's cut he's refused because he doesn't like Dune.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

amf5 posted:

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
atlas sn0gged

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
z0rno hoz0rcaust

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

For actual scifi content:

Not in this thread anymore.

Tek Boner z0rkins

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Would Tremors count as Sci-Fi or just monster horror?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0 posted:

sunshine was a really interesting movie ruined by 30 minutes of horrible slasher pic in the middle of it

Seems to be the problem with Danny Boyle, like 28 Days Later.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

FMguru posted:

more like deep sleep nine, am i right?

bad news - the first three seasons are like this. literally GUNSMOKE in space. then voyager started up and all the executives with their bad ideas went over there and left ds9's writers alone, and only then did it get good.

Season 4 is a marked improvement over the previous seasons, but in Season 1 -3's defense at least it's not Voyager.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Once the Dominion show up and the various Alpha Quadrants start trying to take them on, the show gets a bit better.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

HYMEN.SYS posted:

just remake Hogan's Heroes but with star trek

Gul Dukat as Col. Klink.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

FMguru posted:

the bajorans set something of a record for "most trite, obvious analogy, even for star trek" - and that includes the episode from the original series with the people who were white on one side and black on the other.

But what about the episode where it's literally post-biological warfare Earth with the Yangs and the Khoms?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

golgo13sf posted:

I would gently caress both those alien women

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Kirk posted:

Crusher falls in love with a sentient hypospray, but Q grows jealous. Tim Allen guest stars as a Bajoran ambassador that Picard wishes to avoid.

Bajorian Tim Allen gets his own show on UPN.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

amf5 posted:

he later attempts to transport a fart directly into her office's walls.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Apparently Ronald Moore came up with an idea that had the crew of DS9 revisiting the Gangster planet, but now they're all Trekkies because of Spock and Kirk, but instead they did Trials and Tribble-ations.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
While on shoreleave on Earth, Picard's vineyard falls on hard times during harvest and the officers help with winemaking.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
The USS Voyager encounters a hostile group of aliens but manages to escape in the nick of time thanks to some ingenious engineering. Seven of Nine deals with being human with Neelix.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Poopernickel posted:

"Oh bother", said the Borg, "we've assimilated Pooh."

Your posts will be assimilated.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

Your post are, like the Kazon, inferior and unworthy of assimilation.

Jeri Taylor, one of the developers of Voyager posted:

"The Crips have a rival (or more), for territory; they vie for new worlds, wiping out people on the way. Maybe on some planets they get along with the native population. But generally, they begin, like skinheads, to practice 'ethnic cleansing.'"

If you write that for a Star Trek pilot or pitch you should be fired.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

NINbuntu 64 posted:

apparently year of hell was actually the pitched concept for an entire season but the producers pussied out

"Nah, we need more T&A, not something good!"

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
The show could have done better if it was only 13 or 15 episodes a season so there wouldn't be boring filler like bulldog or whatever.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

duTrieux posted:

hey.

where do the replicators get the raw matter from?

I thought they ran off of power or something, but they get extra matter from recycling. Instead of washing dishes or storing leftovers they just throw it into the replicators.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I think some trekkie is working at Al-Jazeera English now. There's two articles up on their site, one called "Democracy, Jim, but not as we know it" and "Resistance is fertile: Palestine's eco-war".

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

NINbuntu 64 posted:

sum it up for me so i dont have to look for myself

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
So the books are actually worse than the TNG comics about the borg, like the parallel universe where the Enterprise is the only Federation ship left and their crew has too many eyepatches.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

duTrieux posted:

there_borg_queen_makes_sense.txt

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Last good thing with Star Trek involving the borg was Star Trek: Borg. It was a FMV game where you played as the son of fatality of Wolf 359 and Q decides to take you back there to gently caress with time. It's basically "Q laughs at you dying for 3 cd's".

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

law abiding rapist posted:

did they get john delancie to do the voice, this is key

Voice, then the body itself.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

NINbuntu 64 posted:

it idolises voyager which tested high with female audiences

Voyager: Star Trek's Twilight :smug:

Also, that Borg game used Voyager's sets so it's literally the only good thing to come from that show.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Kirk posted:

To Phil

He also looks like Mirror Q now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

• Locked thread