Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
heinlein literally believed that all the worlds problems could be fixed if we just pulled ourselves up by our bootstraps and super powers that make money and war utterly meaningless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
stranger in a strange land was interesting but it felt like what you would get if someone decided to write "dark" fan fiction about some infantile sci fi like mork and mindy or buck rogers or the like

but mork came after stranger so he was still ahead of his time I guess

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
damnit jim im a hugbox admin not a doctor

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

would watch 2 hours

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
i started reading wheel of time when i was younger and just wanted to see how it ended so i read the whole thing. since then ive read better books so i realize that he wasnt some master craftsman but it was still entertaining

also seconding ventus, was good book

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

angry_keebler posted:

under the dome switches from tolerable network scifi to lol what is this poo poo about 10 times each episode

so it was written by stephen king, then

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
frankly im just surprised the trailer for oblivion didnt show tom cruise fighting himself for like 30 seconds or something because trailers giving away the entire loving movie seems to be the new big thing these days

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

nope, doesnt sound like a word anymore

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

duTrieux. posted:

think bigger

what's stopping us from adapting this to give people 3rd, 4th, nth arms?

what about tails?

what about prehensile nipples

the sensorimotor cortex

we got a looooong way to go before we pull that poo poo off

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SmokaDustbowl posted:

best episode of lexx was when the penis spaceship ate a hot air balloon full of drag queens

sounds like i need to watch this show

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
whats the bad news

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
but what if your finger slipped and you beamed your guts into outer space during a pie eating contest?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
they forgot about that ep like a week later and the limit was never mentioned again

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
i dont think you know how fast a meter per second is

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
watch sgu gently caress the haters sgu was good and it sucks that it got cancelled

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

angry_keebler posted:

spiritual and religious characters are fine because in the future there will still undoubtedly be a lot of fanatics and con men taking advantage of dumb people and bad guys can use faith as a motivation that can seem sympathetic but when you get caprica or bsg or lost and the ultimate answer to every mystery is well people have souls and there are unseen magical forces and god did it then it's just a fantasy story

lol i can hear your fedora from here

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
time travel can be fine if its done properly but its really really hard to do properly (see tng finale) and really really easy to do bad (see everything to do with voyager, enterprise)

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

quotin blue stymie

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
this is yospos its a loving miracle that anyone here can accept movies with sound

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Smythe posted:

you can tell ds9 is hella 90s because they pretend people actually LIKE hanging out in the mall.

the entire promenade is portrayed like a tiny lovely mall. tbh i get that weird creepy icky gross claustrophobic mall feeling whenever they're hanging out there. WANNA GOTO QUARKS OR MAYBE ORANGE JULIUS?

come to orange julias, orange julias is fun, come right now, don't walk, run!

nope doesnt have the same ring

e: lol i forgot i opened this tab last night and didnt f5 before posting

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
wait the original bsg had a plot?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

that would contradict how time travel has worked in every other star trek event though, every time something in the past changes something immediately happens, like when the 1701-C wasnt destroyed because it fell back in time and the klingons never signed a peace treaty, so the enterprise D turned into a battleship until they could send them back to where they belong, which immediately reversed it

except in the episodes where it features different timelines co-existing

also stymie was right i actually read those books when i was younger and didnt know any better and somehow i actually enjoyed them but reviewing them now holy poo poo they are loving awful. the author actually ended up writing an entire book to dig himself out of an ideological plot hole when he decided that his stance on murdering innocent people was too mainstream and instead figured that killing people is a perfectly moral act and therefore requires no justification

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

ok i cant remember those, please help

the one with sisko starting a riot in lovely era san francisco doesnt count because the ship still in the future was isolated due to :techno:

the one where worf keeps jumping from timeline to timeline, for one

im sure there are others

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

nigga crab pollock posted:

wtf is with anime being all like POW POW KERBLAM god drat sick nasty then having literally the worst dialogue and interpersonal development out of of any work of fiction

anime is for children and children dont have fully developed social cognition

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
this thred got real fuckin shameful

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ender's game, the work itself, is easily read as an apologia for hitler. it is a novel that endorses genocide

so yes, there are certain political and social worldviews i find unacceptable in popular fiction. for instance, accepting genocide as a reasonable thing that people occasionally do

didnt actually read the book did you?

both stymies were right

hell neither of them are even being assholes this time

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
in other news i read a fire upon the deep as was suggested earlier in the thread and it was really good and i liked it and it was some real nice modern sci fi wait WHEN WAS THIS PUBLISHED?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
still better than most sci fi from that era where everything is the same except we have space wizards now

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
yeah i actually came close to tearing up a bit at that. mostly it was pham's reaction when he realized what an rear end he had been and blueshell's previous "i am not a servant to some power and i will show you" thing

im considering skipping deepness for now and going straight to the third one because i really like the tines

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
children of the sky, came out only a couple years ago. its a direct sequel to a fire upon the deep, apparently

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Trig Discipline posted:

it doesn't advance the main story with the blight very much, but if you just wanna explore tines' world more it's okay. honestly it kinda reminded me of how grrm takes off on these side stories that are okay on their own but as a reader part of your brain is going YEAH BUT THE loving WORLD IS ABOUT TO END LET'S MAYBE TALK ABOUT THAT SOME BUTTHOLE

hell that sounds like exactly what i want because i figure the blight is gone i just want more :swoon: PUPPIES! :swoon:

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
hey man if people in this thread are any indication you dont have to read it at all to have an incredibly strong opinion about it

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lmbo got is the new wot

only replace hair braids with dripping come? idk i never read the books

nynaerys tugged on my cock while elansa smoothed my ballsack

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

haveblue posted:

it's not zany like the guide, it should feel more sardonic like banks

it's probably better than that d&d book but don't read the sequels

oh god the sequels

stet stet stet rish stet rish stet rish rish stet rish

its a neat setting but christ almighty niven cannot write for poo poo

also im more offended by sword of truth being on that chart than wot

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

DiggityDoink posted:

holy poo poo you sure are mad about a book i said was really good

things are eithwr perfect or absolute poo poo there is no such thing as minor or constructive criticism

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
there was that one ep where the doctor makes himself a holographic family that i thought was decent

of course i havent seen it in a decade so it was probably actually pretty bad and im just remembering what it could have been

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

hubris.height posted:

snow crash is likely to be my next audible buy

ringworld is actually p good so far but its so awkward when sci fi writers have sex in their books. future sci fi writers: unless you're william gibson, just don't.

Larry Niven posted:

She ran her fingertips along the side of his neck. Now she was using both hands. She touched him on the chest, and here, and there, and suddenly Louis Wu was blind with lust.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
hes also the security dude in mass effect.... 3 i think? they all sort of blend together

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
yeah moore pretty much made voyager then they told him to gently caress off and thats why everything after the first few eps completely ignores the concept of them being resourced starved and isolated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
a lot of tos episodes were like that imo

• Locked thread