Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
started cryptonomicon today, can i skip past all the dot com bubble current day stuff, because it feels like a chore i have to read through to get more delicious Alan Turing fanfic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
yeah i already read those parts and now theyre planning on building a data haven BUT IN A BLOCKCHAIN or something and everyone is the whiny grandchild of the characters I actually give a poo poo about

idk ill just read it straight through but goddamn everytime I get to a current day chapter I groan a little

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
lol vid's already gone

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
why the gently caress does he keep calling it nippon

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
watched brazil last night, absolutely loved the "future as seen from 1955" aesthetic, but the whole time I kept feeling like there was some kind of deep metaphor I wasn't getting and I felt kind of dumb by the end

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
its pretty simple:

youre either the kind of person who would donate all your material wealth toward the creation of a sentient ai or youre not. that ai is conjectured to be so powerful it could simulate an exact copy of you and determine which of the 2 you are. if you are the kind that would not donate, it will torture you(r simulation, which is identical to you yourself being tortured because reasons) for eternity for not contributing to its creation.

so yeah its basically pascals wager for singularitarianisterites

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
finished cryptonomicon. beginning and end were really good but the middle slogged and i really couldve done without the chapterly Waterhouse Family Boner Status Updates

in fact still think you couldve cut all the present day poo poo and had a perfectly good novel about Waterhouse forrest gumping his way through wwII and shaftoe shaftoeing it up

read that and snow crash, is there any other good neal stephenson, I heard most of his newer stuff is bad

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
every ep of poi ive seen has been stupid poo poo straight out of Yet Another CSI Ripoff, is there some overarching plot that comes out if you dont just watch random episodes or something?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
we are all united in that one day we will be meat rotting in the ground, we just disagree about what happens after that

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Cocoa Crispies posted:

speak for yourself, I want to be burned to a crisp and turned into smoke that goes up into the sky and turns in to stars

sry but the smoke of your burning corpse will not escape the earths atmosphere, youre stuck here with the rest of us

maybe one day you can be recycled into a new babby though

on an personal note: back when I was in high school I went to a play with my best friend and her family, who were very serious evangelicals. the main character in the play kept talking about how cool it was that the atoms in her heart might have come from stars or diamonds, and my friends mom later said "How sad that that girl had to wonder if her body had once been part of a star, and not even realize that Jesus was in her heart all along!" so yeah thats how literal irl people think i guess

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

wow homophobic

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Kenny Logins posted:

kith supremacy

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
finished excession today, that was my first culture novel and I totally wasn't expecting the whole "this is the story of a bunch of incomprehensibly vast computer minds and also theres a bunch of humans around if you're into that sort of thing" aspect, it was different

so the sleeper service just used getting genar-hofoen to talk to zreyn tramow as an excuse to get him on board to talk to dajeil, right? so why did the grey area beam some of zreyn's memories into his head?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

What are some cool sci-fi future drug names

zydrate

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

im the chainsaw dilz

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
speaking of which does anyone have that quote about kids these days "sipping candy flavored nicotine water from a robot's dick" i need it for a friend

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
I remember reading hitchhiker's guide when i was in high school and laughing my rear end off through the whole thing. naturally i started in on restaurant at the end of the universe and it was funny but not as funny. then i read the next two and they were just sort of ok. i got about 3 chapters into mostly harmless (about to the point where he and the one girl fly while loving) and just gave up. what happened douglas adams.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

haveblue posted:

the sky loving is in so long and thanks for all the fish and you ignored the warning adams gave you that the next chapter would be about loving so gj

wow you seem really mad about scifi, calm down

and if i warn you that im about to take a dump on your kitchen table does that make it better when i plop a fat turd right on there?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

haveblue posted:

no I think it's funny that you read the part that said "there's going to be loving in the next chapter, if you don't want to read about loving skip ahead" and then nodded and kept reading and then got angry about the loving in the next chapter

yes, i, a reader of science fiction, was offended and disgusted that someone would write a sex scene in a book

it was a stupid part of a stupid book and adams should have quit writing while he was ahead

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
that david byrne book looks intriguing

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
started canticle for liebowitz last night and its so good i got through the first third already. Poor brother foster :(

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
he and charlie stoss collaborated on a sort of sequel to accelerando and it was really bad and I was mad because I liked accelerando

thats all i know about cory doctor

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
good omens owns bones but the curse it has seems to be real, ive bought 2 copies lost one and the other got ruined

wonder what happens if i buy it on kindle

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
kindle daily deals has the first 5 game of thrones books for $20, worth it or no

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
:nws:http://i.imgur.com/CZhzDHs.gif:nws:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
a friend is recommending the expanse trilogy, but i told her i refuse to read any scifi not vetted by yospos, anyone else read it?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
garak was originally supposed to be gay for bashir

but then who isnt :swoon:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ok i spent some time with gis so here are your tng men in skirts and fancy boots. roddenberry thought he was progressive, but, uh.... yeah well let's just let the images stand on their own ok

s1e01

s1e06

would

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
We're sorry, we could not complete your purchase.
Nick, the Kindle Store on Amazon.co.uk is for UK customers only. To shop for titles available for your country, please visit Amazon.com.

what a load of bollocks

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
the nice thing about physical books is you can go to the library book sale and get a dozen for under :10bux:

A Pinball Wizard fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 20, 2014

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
sorry it looked fine on my phone v:shobon:v

fixt now

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
I read childhoods end, then breakfast of champions

why does all scifi have depressing endings

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
do what i did and get a previous gen model off ebay for $20

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
srsly is there any good scifi that isnt depressing as gently caress

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
but dubstep doesn't squeal, it wubs :confused:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
yospos writing clinic

it reads very much like a fragment of a story. right now the whole climax/twist of the story is "hey relativity exists," if you went into more detail about what happens to the old ship it would be better. they gave the better part of their lives only to end up being obsolete and now are basically out of the fight so what happens next?

Heresiarch posted:

also my posting has been lovely enough recently i might as well just go all-in and goon the gently caress out

i wrote this the other day after i decided i wanted in on that swords and titties fiction market and hey i can write lovely fantasy right how hard can it be

i got this far writing a short story in a Big Grim Fantasy World while suffering from severe insomnia and then i was suddenly overwhelmed with shame and it's just been sitting there

(the character ! is a click consonant)

please be honest, this is grrm trash, right? should i bother taking it anywhere, purely in the hopes i might be able to sell it?

you obviously have an idea for a world, but that world needs characters in it. there is not a single line of dialogue in this piece, it is all telling and now showing.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
not scifi but you should all watch crossbones starring john malkovich as blackbeard and richard coyle as not-stephen maturin

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
ive never understood buying book versions of online content, you can see it for free anytime you want already

especially homestuck, thats like half animated gifs and flash animations how would you even make it a book

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

FMguru posted:

you dumbass

rude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005