Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Whats funny to me is I just watched that half-life documentary (or most of it anyways) and that includes a very lengthy interview with Randy Pitchford. Before that I hadn't even seen his face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Who was the developer, that threw bees at some employee?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

THE BAR posted:

Stardock

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Brad Wardell of Stardock. The bees are the least of the hosed up poo poo he's done.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Does Portal 2 have any co-op mods that are widely considered to be good? My long-distance friend and I had a blast with the official campaign online, and it would be sweet if there was more quality material out there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

THE BAR posted:

What in the gently caress is this about?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Speaking of Randy Prickford; the most annoying enemy in an FPS? I'll be honest as much as I adore Half-Life I absolutely despise the snarks and eventually found a way to null their damage output in the skill.cfg file because they were so god damned terrible to deal with. It's only like, 3 sections throughout the entire game? And each time is an absolute slog.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Tiny fast thing that charges you down and repeatedly melees you are the worst FPS enemy archetype. I have never seen an implementation of them that didn’t suck.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Those loving drones in Duke 3D, followed up by the monks in ROTT

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Exploding spider bots in Red Faction 2. As hard to hit as Snarks but in arachnid form and letting out horrible electronic screeches when they attack

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Barudak posted:

Stardock

DatonKallandor posted:

Brad Wardell of Stardock. The bees are the least of the hosed up poo poo he's done.

Thanks!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What in the gently caress is this about?

He literally threw live bees at his staff, of whom some were allergic. For science, you see.

Then he molested people.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Speaking of Randy Prickford; the most annoying enemy in an FPS? I'll be honest as much as I adore Half-Life I absolutely despise the snarks and eventually found a way to null their damage output in the skill.cfg file because they were so god damned terrible to deal with. It's only like, 3 sections throughout the entire game? And each time is an absolute slog.

It's gotta be either bullet sponges that don't react to your fire, or super fast annoyances. Not too fond of one-hit-kill facehuggers, but I can see the reason of them being there.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 12, 2019

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

skasion posted:

Tiny fast thing that charges you down and repeatedly melees you are the worst FPS enemy archetype. I have never seen an implementation of them that didn’t suck.

I would file man-hacks under this category up until you get the gravity gun. Then they're simply another weapon.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Speaking of Randy Prickford; the most annoying enemy in an FPS?
Hexen Centaurs

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

RickVoid posted:

I would file man-hacks under this category up until you get the gravity gun. Then they're simply another weapon.

I didn't mind the manhacks since they were slow and kinda goofy and didn't do THAT much damage. Only took two whacks with the crowbar or I'd lead them into a narrow corridor and pump a grenade down there.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Man hacks are probably as close to a good version of that idea as it gets. They make a loud annoying noise and have a big glowing light on them so you can’t miss them approaching, they don’t do huge amounts of damage or move really fast so you can’t get immediately killed before you notice them, and they fly around at head height instead of being on the ground so you can actually fight them off without needing to hop around shooting at your feet.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Bone leeches in Blood 2.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Manhacks get a pass because bashing them with the crowbar was appropriately satisfying, and then chucking them with the gravity gun was just good fun.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

skasion posted:

Man hacks are probably as close to a good version of that idea as it gets. They make a loud annoying noise and have a big glowing light on them so you can’t miss them approaching, they don’t do huge amounts of damage or move really fast so you can’t get immediately killed before you notice them, and they fly around at head height instead of being on the ground so you can actually fight them off without needing to hop around shooting at your feet.

You can also deal with them without having to be super precise/lucky because the gravity gun will suck them in and one-hit them against a wall.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The hunter is a really cool concept but is probably the worst enemy in HL2. It's the closest the game gets to a bullet-spongey enemy, is the nadir of the game's shifting focus to "I guess I should just be using the gravity gun all the time and forget all this other poo poo in my inventory," and really exposes that the game's combat is more about trading resources and knowing the patterns of the setpieces than being skillful.

For the most part the HL2 devs were clearly uninterested in making a good shooter and more interested in the problem solving aspect, leading directly to Portal.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Imo hunters are still fun to fight despite that. They’re a breath of fresh air after antlion hell. They expose the mechanical weakness of HL2’s gunplay as a whole rather than being bad enemies in themselves.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I played Hexen II this year and the spiders are terrible. At first they are regular sized*, take two hits and are simply very annoying in a game in which you have just 4 weapons instead of an entire arsenal. And then they become big. Which makes them easier to hit, but also makes them require a lot more hits to kill. Added to that there is one level in which you walk to get some items only to have the floor shatter and have you fall in a small room that has 4 or 5 of those big spiders. So if you've were already dealing with arachnophobia, congratulations: this video game just gave you a heart attack.

*for anyone who does not live in Australia

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 12, 2019

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

The drones in Duke 3D are my least favourite version of those. You can use an RPG to take em out in one hit but they are annoying and feel a little bit more tough than they should. I don't replay Duke very often because I think most of the guns in that game feel bad and most of the enemies aren't fun. It has some bad gamefeel!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

DoubleCakes posted:

The drones in Duke 3D are my least favourite version of those. You can use an RPG to take em out in one hit but they are annoying and feel a little bit more tough than they should. I don't replay Duke very often because I think most of the guns in that game feel bad and most of the enemies aren't fun. It has some bad gamefeel!

Tis my favorite FPS game, I find the feel quite nice. Those drones I don't mind, but some user maps with a gajillion of them can be a bit much. I saw somebody post that Duke 3D has their favorite game arsenal in the Playstation thread recently, warmed my heart.

I notice the picks for most annoying enemy so far are the less fun enemies from really good games. We could probably find much worse ones in bad games, but I guess bad games have less memorable enemies.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Guys, I don't enjoy the Duke3D game feel anymore :negative:

The jankiness of BUILD (get killed by a door!), the bullet sponge enemies, the abundance of hitscan... I don't see myself replaying it any time soon. I used to love it, but there was always something 'off' about it all, and once I learned how to quantify those things, they seemed to have gotten worse for me, or more noticeable.

Sucks.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I don't replay games much myself. A few of my top favs I've beaten three or four times tops in twenty years. There's just so much to play, and indeed most games aren't as magical for me as the first time.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

It sort of bugged me during all of the hoopla about Colonial Marines that nobody pointed out that Gearbox has a history of unrepresentative gameplay trailers. BiA 1 and 3 specifically had demos for levels that showed off quite a bit of stuff that wasn't in the final game.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

DoubleCakes posted:

I hate the drones! They take too much damage, do too much damage, and can dodge rockets! GET hosed DRONES!!!

Plan Z posted:

It sort of bugged me during all of the hoopla about Colonial Marines that nobody pointed out that Gearbox has a history of unrepresentative gameplay trailers. BiA 1 and 3 specifically had demos for levels that showed off quite a bit of stuff that wasn't in the final game.

Didn't they just straight up steal the artstyle for Borderlands from some dude's animation protfolio?

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The hunter is a really cool concept but is probably the worst enemy in HL2.

Aww I like the hunters, probably my fave enemies to fight next to the Combine Elites. Pumping magnum rounds into them is super satisfying and I like the interplay between them and the Striders. Makes me think of how a good Doom designer would use the lost souls to block tougher enemies and create chokepoints.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Flannelette posted:

So mainly either have your thing trained by huge company that can run gigabytes through but you have to use whatever they come up with or be able to hand tune it yourself but you're using your own hardware?

The benefit of training by a huge company is you can actually hire some CompSci people that have worked with AI and know how to fine-tune the data or the transformations in the net for the end result to not pull in weird stuff (like how in the mummy I think there are skulls rendering between the bandage wraps)

The thing I can see happening is that you can create different machines trained under different sets of images and deliver, in my case, a 64meg file representing the machine that was trained to look at nothing but animals. It will be bad-rear end at detecting animals but everything it looks at it will do every trick in the book to make it look like an animal.

If you give it a picture of a barn, for example,

The machine might think, "hey, that totally looks like a chicken. Here's the picture that looks more like a chicken". :dukedog:

Training a machine after a certain point can have radical changes to the output to level that stuff it used to do very well might turn to poo poo or it might be fine. You can only influence the reward when it does something you want it to do.

If you want to see how Machine Learning can go wrong, visit ganbreeder.app . Make the generator create something that is part spider, part pretzel, and part barn and see what the machine things one would look like.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I was working on a Doom 2 map this morning and became frustrated with trying to work on detail in a room that's not aligned to the X and Y axes. So I spent most of the day hacking up GZDoomBuilder-Bugfix a little bit to let me align the grid to an arbitrarily rotated or translated coordinate space. Demo: https://i.imgur.com/hNEJa29.mp4

My fork is here: https://github.com/volte/GZDoom-Builder-Bugfix (rotation branch)
I was also asked to implement it for Doom Builder X: https://github.com/volte/doombuilderx

I made pull requests for each.

Volte fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 13, 2019

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Edit: wrong thread. RIP

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Plan Z posted:

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Didn't they just straight up steal the artstyle for Borderlands from some dude's animation protfolio?
Between the Borderlands artstyle, the whole Aliens debacle, the Borderlands 2 inner DVD case art, the resurrected Frankenstein-like corpse of DNF, the Bulletstorm remaster and accompanying abortive G2A partnership, various Duke 3D-related dramas, Battleborn in general and probably a bunch of stuff I don't remember or wasn't paying attention to like the BiA stuff you mentioned, I'm pretty sure that Gearbox - and Pitchford as their showman mouthpiece - have pretty much pissed off every single inhabitant of the videogames-centric internet on at least one occasion or another.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

[...]the Borderlands 2 inner DVD case art[...]

I've not heard about that, what happened with that?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

catlord posted:

I've not heard about that, what happened with that?
Some of the clouds in that image were swiped from a Star Wars illustration by Olly Moss.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Volte posted:

I was working on a Doom 2 map this morning and became frustrated with trying to work on detail in a room that's not aligned to the X and Y axes. So I spent most of the day hacking up GZDoomBuilder-Bugfix a little bit to let me align the grid to an arbitrarily rotated or translated coordinate space. Demo: https://i.imgur.com/hNEJa29.mp4

My fork is here: https://github.com/volte/GZDoom-Builder-Bugfix (rotation branch)
I was also asked to implement it for Doom Builder X: https://github.com/volte/doombuilderx

Haha, that is really cool and very useful. Good work!

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

The Kins posted:

Some of the clouds in that image were swiped from a Star Wars illustration by Olly Moss.

its all good though because randy pitchford said he'd offer him a job at gearbox.

it sucks that ideas that sound pretty cool to me like re-releasing a game that maybe never got a fair shot like bulletstorm, or pulling the assets of duke nukem forever out of dipshit george broussard's clutches and releasing the game, always just.. aren't actually good. at least they didn't gently caress up homeworld remastered.

the nucas fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 13, 2019

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

the nucas posted:

its all good though because randy pitchford said he'd offer him a job at gearbox

lmao

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

the nucas posted:

its all good though because randy pitchford said he'd offer him a job at gearbox.

Absolutely amazing.

zindryr
Dec 13, 2004
Nothing
Back again to invite you guys out to play another old Goldsrc mod, and this time I mean pretty drat old. Wanted! The Western Mod is on the menu for tonight, and we'll be joining the server (server.kuoushi.com:27015) in just under 45 minutes. A little late notice, I know, but we've just squared away the schedule for the next few months. If you're interested in joining us for older multiplayer mods and games like this in the future, go check the schedule out and see if there's anything you're interested in playing! Not many chances to find these games active, so hopefully we'll see you out there one of these weekends.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Volte posted:

Nice work and how was this not already a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

the nucas posted:

it sucks that ideas that sound pretty cool to me like re-releasing a game that maybe never got a fair shot like bulletstorm, or pulling the assets of duke nukem forever out of dipshit george broussard's clutches and releasing the game, always just.. aren't actually good.
A lot of things seem like good ideas on paper, before being actually subject to the cruel radioactive glow of imperfect reality.

the nucas posted:

at least they didn't gently caress up homeworld remastered.
I was wondering why I didn't hear much in the way of anger-screaming from that crowd. How'd all that turn out?