Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Bilinear is yucky. I like the pixelization filter, but only when it makes it look 640x480. I think that's the optimal resolution for Quake-like games, or mid-to-late 90s games in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

If you want to directly support the dude you can donate what you want and grab a PDF for free and - apparently he gets loving poo poo from Amazon for it:

Fabien Sanglard posted:

I was transparent about the Game Engine Black Book: Wolfenstein 3D's pricing and I want to do the same for DOOM's Black Book. Here are all the numbers. When I upload the PDF on Amazon, a minimal price is automatically calculated. In the case of the DOOM, Amazon sets the minimal price at $51.35.

There is a slider which authors can use in order to add their "share" on top of Amazon price. I have added $3.88 which Amazon also takes a cut on. The result is $1.59 royalty and $0.77 profit per book sold.

I've read the first couple dozen pages and it's been great so far.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's hilarious how much damage thrown barrels do in Dusk.

I threw one at a guy and he exploded. Not the explosive barrel. The barrel was fine. The dude exploded into bits. I love this game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I threw one at a guy and he exploded. Not the explosive barrel. The barrel was fine. The dude exploded into bits. I love this game.

Yeah, I've been using them as my primary weapon for the last 3 levels.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Is that book a good read for those who don't know anything about how Doom's engine works or programming in general? It seems like an interesting read.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yeah, I've been using them as my primary weapon for the last 3 levels.

Don't drop the soap, or rather, do, through people.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I recently played the TC for Doom 2 - Absolution, and I honestly really hated the graphics and sound effects and especially the godawful noise that they called a soundtrack. They also overused Hell Knights and Barons of Hell due to the lack of other enemies.

I'm playing Doom 64 EX, which is supposedly more faithful. Don't know what it's like today, but Absolution when it first came out did stuff like added enemies and didn't place a Lost Soul limit, so Pain Elementals could spit them out until there was no room left.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Thanks for that. I did already beat Doom 64/Absolution, but seeing another take on that is interesting. This is specifically mentioned as being vanilla-compatible, so I'm especially interested in figuring out how they did some of the effects. Map 02 has some really strange fuckery going on with voodoo dolls which I think might take me a while to decipher and reverse-engineer.

EDIT: ...There are blocking decorations stacked on top of each other behind a door with NEGATIVE height which a switch opens, and the door is an arrow shape aimed at a player voodoo doll sitting on a few lines. Will one of the decorations fly off once the door opens, aand impact a voodoo doll, making it cross a trigger? Let me try that out myself...

EDIT 2: Hmmm... the negative height door opens, but the decoration stays in place. shooting my voodoo doll gets it to move and cross the lines properly, so I'm sure that the decoration flying and nudging the player just a little is the key. I'm missing something.

EDIT 3: Of course, I'm dumb. I That's not a decoration at all, it's something which has been edited with DeHacked to replace the decoration with something else. Still don't know how it works, though. It's probably something like a monster which hits the voodoo doll of the player with a low damage attack, nudging the doll over the triggers and into some health, and raising the floor so the monsters attacks stop hitting the doll.

Plan Z posted:

I'm playing Doom 64 EX, which is supposedly more faithful. Don't know what it's like today, but Absolution when it first came out did stuff like added enemies and didn't place a Lost Soul limit, so Pain Elementals could spit them out until there was no room left.

I think I looked that one up, but it said it required a Doom 64 ROM, which I didn't have and didn't feel like looking for.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 15, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Doom 64 EX is a straight implementation based on the wad and it's good when you can play that game at a visible gamma. It really feels like a half-step between Doom and Quake with some neat map tricks.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Nightdive should seek to get a deal with id/ZeniMax for rereleasing Doom 64 using Samuel Villarreal's engine.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Ryuga Death posted:

Is that book a good read for those who don't know anything about how Doom's engine works or programming in general? It seems like an interesting read.

Curious as well. I really enjoyed watching a breakdown of the wolf3d engine before.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Played Dusk's first episode and the beginning 3 levels of the second. My early experience with shooters back in the day went from pseudo-3D sprite based directly to early 2000s so I don't have much nostalgia for early 3D ones like Quake. It does its job well, maybe too well since so far my opinion on it is that it's alright and I'm having fun but it's not really a game I'll think about after finishing it. I like the sliding, you can almost see the developer playing Titanfall 2 and deciding to rip off one of the two good things it had going for it (the other being the wall running which the new Wolf/Doom games should steal). The spinning in mid-air is also cool even if rather pointless so far and more games (eg Wolfenstein/Doom) should rip it off. I like when the levels get into mind screw territory or add in some horror elements which anyone who's played it so far will know what I'm talking about. I give it 3 super shotguns out of 5.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Sliding is much older than Titanfall 2, though it's more often found in immersive sims than in straightforward shooters.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Never played vanquish I guess

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vanquish is incredible

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

In other first person titles that have it like Syndicate 2012, Wolfenstein, Call of Duty or even titles like Dishonored or Prey it's just a quarter second slide that serves almost no purpose beyond looking cool. In Dusk, like in Titanfall 2, it's actually useful during combat, especially for avoiding projectiles. That's what I meant.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The other one I can think of where it's useful is Bulletstorm, but that's a no duh.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Demonsteele :colbert:

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
Gotta say Dusk is a breath of fresh fuckin air man. While it hits all the numbers of Quake it keeps it fresh with some really decent level design and fun weapons. I havent been this keen on an FPS since Quake 1.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I like that DUSK tilts the weapon pretty far left or right based on what direction you're turning. It really helps in pulling off snapshots.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

Plan Z posted:

I like that DUSK tilts the weapon pretty far left or right based on what direction you're turning. It really helps in pulling off snapshots.

I could swear the OG version of quake 1 would do this, too, but when I fire it up now it does not do it so much as I remember.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

How exactly does the bunnyhopping in Dusk work? I can go pretty fast by doing some QuakeWorld style strafe jumps, but it doesn't seem be influenced by how much I turn in the air and I can't figure out what part of the maneuver is actually making me gain speed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

How exactly does the bunnyhopping in Dusk work? I can go pretty fast by doing some QuakeWorld style strafe jumps, but it doesn't seem be influenced by how much I turn in the air and I can't figure out what part of the maneuver is actually making me gain speed.

Think Counter-Strike, not Quake. All you have to do to bhop is hold A/W or D/W and curve your view slowly in that direction (and tap the jump key when you hit the ground).

edit: Seen for the first time right here in this speedrun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeL6ab9AD34&t=14s

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Ooh, okay. Looks like I was just curving way too much and less is more here.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

F.E.A.R. had a good slide (kick), Wet has the best rock'n'roll power slide, in general more action moves in games would be good. Action Half-Life and Max Payne knew what they were doing a couple decades or so ago, what's everybody waiting for, Christmas?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Of all the games, I think the two mediocre Medal of Honor reboots had a slide too for some reason. They also had this thing where you could hold down a key and then hit WASD to quickly lean to the side or duck/raise up.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Heavy Metal posted:

F.E.A.R. had a good slide (kick), Wet has the best rock'n'roll power slide, in general more action moves in games would be good. Action Half-Life and Max Payne knew what they were doing a couple decades or so ago, what's everybody waiting for, Christmas?

Slides and leans are all fine and dandy, but the fact that I can't go prone in Doom is outrageous :sigh:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Slides and leans are all fine and dandy, but the fact that I can't go prone in Doom is outrageous :sigh:

You said it, if Solid Snake would want it, it should be in your game. And there are a bunch of boxes in Doom too.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

ETPC posted:

the disc was called pyromania iirc

I was thinking that:

wasn't part of pyromania but it's there "ZeroG01"

Pyromania was made by VCE Films which was started by a man called Peter Kuran who worked on stacks of movies doing miniatures and FX, including Empire Strikes back. So next time you see one of those explosions remember there's a little bit of Starwars in them.
(most of the other explosions and fire you saw in lots of FPS, RTS, space shooters etc etc all drew heavily from the pyromania disks in the 90s and early 2000s).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Flannelette posted:

I was thinking that:

wasn't part of pyromania but it's there "ZeroG01"

Pyromania was made by VCE Films which was started by a man called Peter Kuran who worked on stacks of movies doing miniatures and FX, including Empire Strikes back. So next time you see one of those explosions remember there's a little bit of Starwars in them.
(most of the other explosions and fire you saw in lots of FPS, RTS, space shooters etc etc all drew heavily from the pyromania disks in the 90s and early 2000s).
You have one of those discs? What does the explosion look like on there - is it a noticeably better quality video? I suppose it would be illegal, but hypothetically could someone make replacement higher quality explosions (higher res, higher color depth, smoother animation) for games?

Edit: I found a review of one of the later Pyromania discs. It answers some questions about what’s actually on those things.

Edit2: I found a video of a similar explosion reel.

david_a fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 15, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Upload pyromania to archive.org

I love kitschy stuff like that.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

david_a posted:

You have one of those discs? What does the explosion look like on there - is it a noticeably better quality video? I suppose it would be illegal, but hypothetically could someone make replacement higher quality explosions (higher res, higher color depth, smoother animation) for games?

Edit: I found a review of one of the later Pyromania discs. It answers some questions about what’s actually on those things.

Edit2: I found a video of a similar explosion reel.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=609679571&searchtext=explosion

Check this out. Someone must have found it. It's the same explosion right?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=609679571&searchtext=explosion

Check this out. Someone must have found it. It's the same explosion right?
lol yeah

I don’t think the CD is that hard to find, it’s just that it probably still costs a bit of money and I’m guessing there is no way it’s legal to releasing something based on it for free.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Max Wilco posted:

Does anyone recall an FPS game where the character says "Score!" when they pick up a bonus item or something? I've had the sound effect stuck in my head for like a week or two now, but I can't remember what it's from, or if it's even from an FPS game (only that it was something from DOS/early Windows-era).

EDIT: Maybe it was from a Doom mod. I know this is a weird question, but it's really bugging me that I can't remember where I heard it.

So this is a weird loving thing to necropost, but since you don't have PMs enabled... Was this the sound that you were thinking of?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

david_a posted:

lol yeah

I don’t think the CD is that hard to find, it’s just that it probably still costs a bit of money and I’m guessing there is no way it’s legal to releasing something based on it for free.

It's royalty-free but the cost of buying it legally is a bit too much for a free modder project.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Wow, you guys weren't kidding about the sudden jump in quality between Dusk Episode 1 and 2.

It wouldn't be a bad idea for the author to go back and either do a revision of the current Episode 1 or straight up remake it. It's not a bad episode by itself, but it's bad compared to Episode 2.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

inscrutable horse posted:

So this is a weird loving thing to necropost, but since you don't have PMs enabled... Was this the sound that you were thinking of?
I think we confirmed later in the thread that he misinterpreted Blake Stone's evil scientists screaming "GUARD!" for "SCORE!" for some reason.

zindryr
Dec 13, 2004
Nothing
Hey guys, back again with another evening of multiplayer stuff to invite you to. Tonight's going to be Brainbread, so if you have fond memories of zombies with horrible AI and some good old fashioned janky goldsrc mods then swing on by the server (server.kuoushi.com:27015) at around 10PM PST (1AM EST), or even before if you can't make the main time. Might still be some people hopping in.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I dunno if it's really an "early FPS" but I've finally decided to play Dark Messiah again and it's still good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I've been playing through DUSK (a lil way into ep 3 now) and I'm not sure I like it. The ammo is too scarce on everything except for pistols, the sounds are bad, especially the you got hit sound BOOF thing, the enemies take a lot of shots to kill and aren't that fun to fight. The levels are ok until partway into episode 2 where the game decides to become Doom 3 and make everything so dark you have to look at the world through a small yellow circle. It sucks.

The levels have some interesting points but they are few and far between. Escher labs was cool but it could have been cooler if the concept was followed up on.

So far of the 3 retro shooters recently I think Ion Maiden is my favorite even though its just a few levels at the moment. Amid Evil is second, it has issues but the weapons and enemies are more interesting to use and fight plus I can see.