Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Top Gym Pumper posted:

Just let Nerve make Doom 4 since they're pretty good at it. Also just make it a new Doom iwad with new textures and maybe a handful of new guns and monsters and sell it on Steam for like $15.

Speaking of new textures, other than back to saturn and that weird egypt tileset, are there any wads with new (good) texture sets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

victrix posted:

Speaking of new textures, other than back to saturn and that weird egypt tileset, are there any wads with new (good) texture sets?

UAC Ultra was pretty nice, I thought.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Jakcson posted:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of a Doom 1/2 mod that makes everything look like it is cel-shaded (cartoon-ish)?
satanic.pk3 has a wad inside it called noir.wad. You can rename the .pk3 .zip and extract it. It makes doom look like Sin City.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I got bored and wondered what would happen if I ran Project MSX over Chex Quest. The result is, uh... interesting.

MSX Quest!

Naturally, I can't pick up half the items in the game and kind of have to play through it ROCKET PUNCHING every flemoid due to a lack of pistol ammo. Oh yeah and they also bleed when I shoot them (as seen in the above image) and turn into puffs of smoke when I rocket-punch them.

Oh yeah, and it also plays the old Chex Quest main menu music over the dark, gritty Project MSX main menu, and some of the screaming menu sound effects from Project MSX carry over. :haw:

EDIT: Turns out I can actually use the cartoonish weapons from Chex Quest while using Project MSX, so now I'm violently gunning down snot aliens with a cartoonish laser chaingun that actually causes them to bleed now.

EDIT:

Chainspork. :black101:

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 27, 2014

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Dr Snofeld posted:

The Doom ports were pretty good. Doom 1 had some weird issues with different level orders and the wrong music being on levels, and didn't include Thy Flesh Consumed, but Doom 2 was an extremely faithful port, with the exception of some of the larger levels being split in two.

The port of the first Doom was a port of the Jaguar version, explaining the weird level order, missing levels, monsters and different textures and map layouts.

The port of Doom 2 isn't actually a port at all, it's more of a re-creation. It doesn't use the Doom engine, instead using a similar engine that was built specifically for the Gameboy Advance. Because of this it feels a bit "off" but it's still a very good version of the game considering the limited platform it's on.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jan 27, 2014

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Yeah, the main problem was the lack of in-level saves. The Chasm was a right pain even split into two parts.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
ZDoom 32 player support continues. Things are going well enough for a public-alpha of sorts soon enough. There's a lot of changes that need testing, but otherwise the core stability issues are taken care of. Best of all, backwards compatibility (to a certain extent) with old player start limits, so Reelism should work well enough out of the box.

Well, somewhat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoejmTOozDs

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Why settle for 32 when you could go up to 255 players like Odamex? :smug:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

Why settle for 32 when you could go up to 255 players like Odamex? :smug:
Odamex doesn't have enough support for gameplay mods or flaccid dongs for me to attempt to make Rustism.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Although I know that's not a serious question, I'll answer it anyway.

The theoretical limit of players ZDoom can have is 256, however, there is some caveats to this. The handshake (the thing ZDoom does when starting a netgame to negotiate game settings and player info) and the TimeFreeze powerup both have 32bit masks for handling the players. This means that we only have 32 possible references, and thus only 32 possible players. Both could be changed so that the TimeFreeze powerup could be given additional bitmasks and the handshake bitmask can always be increased or changed completely.

The other major problem is bandwidth. While peer-to-peer will continue to work with no issue at all due to packet isolation (other then needing to set up 255 unique connections), in a theoretical master/slave framework (or the current packet-server framework), the arbitrator needs to be the one that sends out all the data for the next relevant frame. This would require 2KB a packet per player, or 74KB/s to maintain a constant connection (18MB/s out all up, which is quite a lot but I imagine a proper dedicated server could handle it). This isn't counting potential resend requests or chat messages, which at this point is getting dangerously close to the 8KB packet limit (UDP's maximum safe packet size). Although also this isn't including the zlib compression and delta encoding that's applied, which may just be enough to hopefully subside the issue.

Edit: Actually delta compression is applied as part of the player input already. It's only zlib compression I cannot track, as the packet repetitiveness (how similar everyone's net commands are) is likely to change dramatically based on what input has changed. While I still wouldn't trust the above numbers, they are at-least the expected averages.

Of course, seeing as I have never even seen a 255 player Odamex game, I don't think this is something anybody needs to worry about any time soon.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 27, 2014

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rocket Pan posted:

Of course, seeing as I have never even seen a 255 player Odamex game, I don't think this is something anybody needs to worry about any time soon.

I like how on their website they say support for 255 players is "theoretical", as is, they've never had the occasion to actually test it.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Even "theoretically", in practice it'll probably be nothing more than a neat bulletpoint. Zandronum supports 64 players, and the times we've had all those dudes on a single map it gets to be a huge clusterfuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KbH2rtC6ks

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 27, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Lots of players is fun, but only if the game and the maps used are designed to support that many players. For example, try imagining playing a round of Hostage Rescue on cs_office with 256 players.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Lots of players is fun, but only if the game and the maps used are designed to support that many players. For example, try imagining playing a round of Hostage Rescue on cs_office with 256 players.

This sounds AMAZING (for all of 30 minutes)

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

cs_assault (1.6, not the poo poo Source and GO version) would be way more fun. An army of CTs pouring into the main building with a legion of AK-wielding Terrorists on the other side and flashbangs flying everywhere would be amazing.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

That's how public server CS was played to begin with though? :confused:

Seriously 64 man office deathmatch was the poo poo back in the day.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

closeted republican posted:

cs_assault (1.6, not the poo poo Source and GO version) would be way more fun. An army of CTs pouring into the main building with a legion of AK-wielding Terrorists on the other side and flashbangs flying everywhere would be amazing.

I'm taking the air ducts. :colbert:

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

That's how public server CS was played to begin with though? :confused:

Seriously 64 man office deathmatch was the poo poo back in the day.

Nowadays, it's 20 vs 20 dudes in Crackhouse with instarespawn.

I'm enjoying Prey, even if it's giving me motion sickness.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

I'm taking the air ducts. :colbert:

You sit in the vents and get gunned down when someone manages to slip through. I'll take the ladder and AK snipe with terrible accuracy because I'm on a ladder.

JackMackerel posted:

Nowadays, it's 20 vs 20 dudes in Crackhouse with instarespawn.

Lame. cs_assault and cs_office are the best for loving around in.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

closeted republican posted:

You sit in the vents and get gunned down when someone manages to slip through. I'll take the ladder and AK snipe with terrible accuracy because I'm on a ladder.

Lame. cs_assault and cs_office are the best for loving around in.

no that would be jeepathon2k, clearly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySCcZZMl37M

Being too young to play Doom and Quake most of my early FPS nostalgia comes from dicking around in CS, and the custom maps and mods were easily the best part of that for the 13 year old me.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
poo poo, I never experienced jeepathon2k. I walked around in it a few years ago and I felt like I missed something awesome. I wish they'd kept it in for the retail game as a gag map so that people would actually play it. :argh:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
F-fire fire f-f-f-fire in the fire in the hole.

*three CTs spontaneously fly off the ladder from too much boom*

fake edit: Oh my god Jeepathon 2k. You just had to kick me in the nuts with that nostalgia didn't you :smith:

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Man, we just tried some multiplayer in Duke3d Megaton and I was honestly expecting the netcode for it to be a lot better than it was. :(

A lot of the time the game was literally unplayable. It seemed to have all the problems the public beta build did - crazy desync issues or players spawning in the floor unable to move. We did get a four player co-op game going for a while, then it crapped out again.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Yeah, I can confirm Duke 3D's netcode shittiness as well.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
So, today I finished Doom 64.

What a completely awesome game. I know I've been gushing over its atmosphere and style in my last post, but I really can't say this enough: this is probably my favourite Doom game, purely because it nails that cool sweetspot between Quake and Doom. If you haven't played it, you own it to yourself to get Doom 64 EX working. Its first few levels are just cool, gloomy techbases that combines the first episodes of Quake and Doom from a stylistic viewpoint, but once you enter Hell (something that happens very quickly, around map 9) the game becomes something unique. I've already said that map 13 ("The Dark Citadel") sits firmly at the top of my list of favourite levels, but there is just so much good stuff that follows it. A special mention goes out to map 20, "Breakdown," which feels exactly like having a, well, breakdown. If I had to summarise what makes the Hell levels work, its that they run with a single theme rather than themeset, if that makes any sense. Each level is just a little bit weirder than the last, and you really feel that you are descending into Hell as the environments change.

One thing that did bug me, though, is that the quality of the final maps feels lacking compared to what comes before. "No Escape" lacks the feelings of dread that its labyrinthian predecessors have, and the final level can be a real fucker. It takes place in an arena where, before the final boss spawns, you are confronted with wave after wave of enemies washing out of three portals. The idea is that, if you've been collecting secret artefacts, you can close these portals before things get too hectic. The problem with this is that the BFG (or completely upgraded Unmaker) can finish the boss in less than 10 seconds. If you're like me, and terrible at finding secrets, that last fight is going to be a nightmare. Not because of the Barons of Hell, Hellknights, Arachnatrons or Mancubi; its because of the loving Pain Elementals. Now, normally these guys ain't so bad. But in Doom 64, they have 2 mouths that work simultaneously, producing twice the normal number of lost souls, which they keep doing until you kill them with no limit. Factor in the fact that Lost Souls are far more dangerous here than in normal Doom, and the biggest challenge this level presents to you is finding a way to curb your frustration while you try to annihilate those fuckers before you get swarmed. That mob of enemies that remains is just an afterthought, and so is the final boss.

But hey, don't let a bad 5 minutes keep you from what is arguably the best game in the series. This game really is criminally underrated!

And the ending is cool as hell. After all that the Doom Marine went through, he decides to stay in Hell. It's the only way to be sure, and the image of the Marine standing amidst the flames with a shotgun for all eternity is metal as gently caress. If iD should ever get around to making Doom 4, I hope they just continue from there. Just imagine it: Hell's invading earth, and in order to stop it you travel the reverse route that you normally take in these games. The first episode is Hell, and by the end you're back on earth to kill the devils leading the invasion. Just tell me that wouldn't be awesome!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tecman posted:

Man, we just tried some multiplayer in Duke3d Megaton and I was honestly expecting the netcode for it to be a lot better than it was. :(

A lot of the time the game was literally unplayable. It seemed to have all the problems the public beta build did - crazy desync issues or players spawning in the floor unable to move. We did get a four player co-op game going for a while, then it crapped out again.

Well that sucks. One of the reasons I was looking forward to it was because the source ports all have such garbage net code that you get desyncs even on a LAN.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sobatchja Morda posted:

And the ending is cool as hell. After all that the Doom Marine went through, he decides to stay in Hell. It's the only way to be sure, and the image of the Marine standing amidst the flames with a shotgun for all eternity is metal as gently caress.

This is literally my favorite thing about Doom 64.

EDIT: Here's the final battle, made trivial by all the artifacts, unfortunately, and ending for those who want to see it (warning: spoilers):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suFo5RaG0EA

Finally... The mother of all demons is dead! The blood pours from your eyes as you stand in defiance. As the only marine to endure the slaughter—you decide to remain in Hell and ensure no demon ever rises again.

The End.

:black101:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 29, 2014

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Aww man, and I heard some good things about Megaton's network code. Guess a fully-working and modern DN3D MP is still a long ways away. I never played DN3D MP back in the day and I was all ready to try it out in Megaton. :(

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Tecman posted:

You might want to double check to make sure everyone has the latest possible version. Specifically the RC2 public build that just csme out. "Spawning in the floor" is a bug that was caused by playing multiplayer in the non multiplayer beta versions, made possible by accepting an invite to a game (while the beta was running). It's actually the game getting perpetually stuck on the first frame.

For whatever reason, the devs never put in a proper version check in the lobby.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I've been tossing this idea around in my head for a while: I want to do a video series showcasing forgotten and overlooked FPS games, not just old ones but new ones too. I'd be covering games like Blood, Redneck Rampage, Rage, Prey, System Shock, things of that nature. The goal would be to show off these games, compare them to both their contemporaries and modern games, and make them known to both old-school and new-school FPS fans alike. Would you guys be interested in this?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Segmentation Fault posted:

I've been tossing this idea around in my head for a while: I want to do a video series showcasing forgotten and overlooked FPS games, not just old ones but new ones too. I'd be covering games like Blood, Redneck Rampage, Rage, Prey, System Shock, things of that nature. The goal would be to show off these games, compare them to both their contemporaries and modern games, and make them known to both old-school and new-school FPS fans alike. Would you guys be interested in this?

Honestly, it would have limited appeal for me. Despite the criticism against the genre it never really was all that saturated as far as sheer numbers go. There are some esoteric titles I would be interested in hearing more about like Will Rock or Gunman Chronicles but most "forgotten" shooters aren't very good like Mace Griffin or that Painkiller ripoff set in people's dreams.

Just make the first episode Breakdown, alright?

al-azad fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 29, 2014

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I'd watch it. I love overshadowed games.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I always want to watch more informative stuff about games, as long as it's well done. Go for it.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
http://www.youtube.com/user/MarphitimusBlackimus

Everyone in this thread should subscribe to this guy. He's got a whole series of videos covering obscure FPS games.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MarphitimusBlackimus

Everyone in this thread should subscribe to this guy. He's got a whole series of videos covering obscure FPS games.
Yeah, Marphy's videos are fantastic for raw commentary-less gameplay, but something more analytical and review-y would be very welcome indeed.

As an example, here's Doom as apparently interpreted by the Sega CD era of game design:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHhgjKaLHJw

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Yeah, his channel is awesome, I especially like his videos on Half-Life and Half-Life 2 features.

My videos would be more than just gameplay, but rather a mix of review, analysis, and a look at the history of the game and its developer. The aim is to interest hardcore FPS fans who have played these games, people who like obscure video game things, and newcomers who didn't play the games when they came out.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

The Kins posted:

Yeah, Marphy's videos are fantastic for raw commentary-less gameplay, but something more analytical and review-y would be very welcome indeed.

As an example, here's Doom as apparently interpreted by the Sega CD era of game design:

Nice to see the origins of the endlessly annoying killcam.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

The Kins posted:

This is so bad

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

And holy poo poo, that Half-life fact files series is amazing. I had no idea houndeyes had 'squad leaders'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

The Kins posted:

Just watching this is making me feel claustrophobic.