Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHYbfAB-lg

Jehde posted:

I have a Saitek P880 for exactly this reason. I don't think Saitek makes gamepads anymore though.

The P990 has pretty much the ultimate layout for oldgames emulation but it's been out of production for years.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Looks more like Wolf3D, which actually had an Apple II port, though admittedly limited to the later models with more memory.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Segmentation Fault posted:

That's an old-rear end Wolf 3D mod. If I recall correctly it came with a bunch of fanfiction about a teenage boy who escapes Barney's dystopian empire

This reminds me of an old show the Discovery channel used to air in the early 90s that had segments about random poo poo found on the fledgling internet of the day. It spent a good half hour one time showing off Barney hate sites.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

The first WAD I ever downloaded off a BBS was one that apparently stole someone's custom levels, made it compatible with shareware DOOM, filled it with Beavis and Butthead and other sound effects, and replaced several monsters with things like Barney, a smiley face, and made the plasma gun into a bottle of hairspray + lighter, and the rocket launcher into a chicken that fired explosive eggs.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

No, but I really want to play it now.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dominic White posted:

Weird that it tries to spin Project MSX as joking or satirical. I guess it's the same mindset that was sure that the first couple of levels of Serious Sam 3 were advanced trolling, and not just a slow build-up.

Maybe he's confusing it with that joke wad a few years back with much the same mechanics and also qtes, ai allies that do everything and plenty of other modern fps tropes.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

This is a HUD for ants.

How do I make DoomRPG actually useable? Between this poo poo and the million unexplained keybinds I don't know what the gently caress.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Apparently I needed to reload the game half a dozen times because playing a few other gameplay wads and coming back to it fixed it :psyduck: The DoomRPG stats and other crap are still tiny but I guess they're fixed images or something.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 16, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Aha, the scaling is completely backwards so small numbers make big pictures.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nothing like flipping a switch to find yourself staring down a nightmare mastermind point blank on MAP03. Thanks Going Down.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is there something I can do to make gzdoom pause and let go of my processor while minimized?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Another stupid gzdoom issue: when I adjust brightness or gamma it flashes the change then goes right back to really dark defaults. Google turns up a years old forum thread that doesn't seem to have a solution.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Shadow Hog posted:

Are you using f.lux? I've found that overrides GZDoom's brightness/gamma settings for one reason or another.

Not anymore.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It was either f.lux or my nvidia drivers making GBS threads the bed. I uninstalled one and reinstalled the other and now it works. Zlocista's does let me see without having to crank brightness, so that's for that.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 30, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, and every time I use it I remember that it's purported benefit is largely negated by the fact that the movement of the sun has very little to do with my sleep schedule.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bouchacha posted:

Have you tried changing the location to better match your sleep schedule?

:effort:

Whats a good slaughter map wad that doesn't have custom monsters or weapons and isn't nuts.wad, nuts2.wad or nuts3.wad?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jia posted:

Sunder. :getin:

Tried that. There's not enough ammo on the first map to use it with the DoomRL monster pack.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Korendian Leader posted:

There are many:

edit:
Oh, nevermind.

It's mostly the imp wave once the initial shock of trying to pick a potentially buffed like mad vile out of a crowd with the Arsenal's weak base shotguns wears off. They resist their own shots and don't infight.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cerepol posted:

Then run arena in the base until you rank up and can buy ammo remotely.

I don't run DoomRPG.

So far my best runs are total flukes where I roll a scout and get a shredder pistol, nuclear plasma pistol or unique. Occasionally I manage to get the imps to cooperate without them then lose track of the vile and die :v:

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 31, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Watch me suck at Sunder if you're bored or something http://www.twitch.tv/disastranagant

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is it just me or is OBLIGE just a bit obsessed with making you fight a dozen pinkies with a pistol?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Segmentation Fault posted:

Does Source 2 use something that's not DirectX loving 9?

Valve probably values compatibility with lovely integrated video. Being able to run on loving everything is a good business plan for f2p games.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There's a new release in testing that should only be 2 or 3 years behind :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Also why don't the (G)Zdoom people do some work on the netcode? Everything else seems to be in good working order, why not get multiplayer implemented?

Zandronum's take on netcode doesn't like heavily scripted wads and requires some dedicated server infrastructure.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TerminusEst13 posted:

Whoooooo where to begin.
Hideous Destructor is easily one of the most advanced and in-depth mods I've seen--it doesn't look especially buzzword, since there aren't a whole ton of unique graphics and it doesn't lend itself to fun videos, but god drat if it isn't the most complex and intricate (and loving HARD) mods I've seen.
The enemy AI is brutal, too. They ironsight, team up, engage and retreat, adjust tactics based on how much ammo they have left, etc. Though it's unlikely that most of it will be seen, since you'll be dead after two shots, but opening up the file for the zombieman alone shows a staggering amount of thoughts going through that bastard's head.

All of my mods are extremely heavily scripted and are designed primarily for Zandronum.
Zandro's problems aren't so much script amounts, but rather script, uh...recent-ness.

I guess it was mostly just the DoomRLA guys and the ridiculous amount of inventory crud that wad uses to track things.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Shadow Hog posted:

I've yet to ever do anything meaningful with the Shock Rifle combo.

The announcer callls you a whore if you get I think 10 kills with it on a life.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The one UT2K4 gun I never really figured out was the Link Gun. I always wound up just using it to patch up vehicles and ignoring it in modes without them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I just tend to prefer the minigun for my waiting for a flak cannon needs :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I didn't realize this until a moment ago, but the Liandri Archives says that the UT2k3 Link Gun alternate "linked" fire damage was multiplied by 1 + (0.5 x n), where "n" is the number of people linked to the shooter. So if you had another person linked to you, the alternate fire damage was 1.5x normal.

I realize it would require two people actually hitting the target instead of one...but if that's the actual multiplier, it seems like it would just be better (or at least more damaging) for everybody to stick to their own guns? Maybe that's why it always seemed like it was crap. You've got two people linked to you for 2x damage, but it'd just be better for all three people to be shooting 3 separate guns at a target.

That's for 2k3 and only for the beam. The primary fire gets 1 + n * damage (and faster projectiles) and in 2k4 the beam gets 1 + (1.5 * n) for healing cores and tanks.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I guess they figured that if you were going to have half your team buffing one dude you shouldn't have him trying to make point blank laser shots.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Wait wait wait

Computers came without mice at one point? :stare:

There was even a time where there where about a hundred different mouse but oriented stupid pointing devices on the market. You didn't really see much standardization til Windows 95.

Just look at this thing. You move the pointer using your thumb on the ball.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 22, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I wanted a pic of this one that's like 10 inches wide and blocky as gently caress but I couldn't find it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I've been trying to play Prodoomer but every time I get to the top of the first level I get my rear end beat by this blue rear end in a top hat that 2 shots me with some sort of ice shotgun :wtc:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, the form links videos of them on UV Max.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I love how he tries to act like Nirvana vs Perfect Hatred will be anything short of a landslide.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bouchacha posted:

OBLIGE is really great with DoomRPG+RL

I was messing around with a ridiculous map that started me in a closet with 2 minigun guys and a bunch of nightmare demons and it was just great.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Wow, never would have thought Dead Simple would lose this early.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Armageddon is the coop difficulty and is also missing like 3/4 of its monsters. One of the Armageddon bosses (which isn't supposed to spawn but does and sometimes shows up on UV so gently caress UV) is a turbo fucker pain elemental with a quarter million health and rapidly spawning super fast packs of lost souls. And there's another pain elemental with a telefrag gun. Nightmare is the most fun to play, since it has all new monsters and you get a lot of exotic drops off zombies.

Crack out OBLIGE for maps, that way you don't have to worry about whether the map has a ton of custom stuff that breaks or forced pistol starts killing your inventory.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 28, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SparkTR posted:

Has anybody here managed to get Requiem Avenging Angel working on a 64-bit system? There's a patch available that updates it to DX8 and solves compatibility issues, but it's a 16-bit application sand thus useless... Has anybody tried using a virtual PC to run stuff like this?

If you're lucky it just uses a 16 bit installer and you might be able to find someone who can rig you up a new install script. Otherwise you're hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

It seems like Zandronum is finally upgrading to 2.0 today, at least according to the global server announcement I got earlier.

edit: It happened.

Now they're only 5 years behind zdoom development instead of :laffo: