Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

Starfield has awful LUT filters that make everything look washed out and weird (not in a good way) so cut your friend some slack on that one. It's not like they're superbly executing on exoplanet mine ambience, it just looks bad.

yeah, thinking SS remake looks bad because the low res graphics is dumb (don't buy the game in the first place if you don't gel with that style, you can look at the style from screenshots and trailers first!), but Starfield was super grey, not only in the starting mine. It looks better with modded LUT filters.
Does that violate the artistic intent? Yeah, any mod violates the 'artistic intent', the whole point of most mods is to improve upon the base, that already implies the original 'artistic intent' could be improved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Adaca is on sale on Steam, just 10 euros. I just bought it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1571940/Ctrl_Alt_Ego/

Anyone knows this InSim?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Angry_Ed posted:

Took me a moment but :laffo:

Some explain to me.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I wish I liked Supplice but man those levels just aren't fun to navigate at all.

It's very much the 'thing' with Supplice and other Doom projects from the lead dev, they put a heavy emphasis on map navigation (and the levels are big and complex).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Civvie does another roundup video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3F6WL1j52I

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

We haven't put anything Selaco related in a while, so...
https://twitter.com/SelacoGame/status/1781388677844783506

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The reticle bloom is sure big, you aren't exactly a precise gunslinger:

Then again it makes sense for this game, where they are going for a Jon Woo style, with bullets and destruction everywhere.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

FPS twitter gave me this game, no idea of who is doing it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zc1vSjPKp0

Looks nice?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I always liked that game, more than I should.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Convex posted:

The best thing Ion Fury had going for it was the art design and aesthetic imo, which the sequel/successor throws out to ape the DNF 2001 trailer. I get that it's by different developers but the new one just doesn't look as interesting by comparison.

It's kinda amusing to me that 'DNF 2001' is an aesthetic. You would think it would make more sense to reference a released game.
Then again, I get what you mean.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I just noticed that Supplice started its Early Access release more than a year ago, on April 6, 2023.
On that time, the released 1/3 of the content (2 of the six promised episodes). I hope this doesn't turn into another Wrath, staying in EA for many years. :/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Another voice agreeing with the general sentiment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GhnF7H7NlA

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Arivia posted:

It’s by a lot of the back to Saturn x team, sooooo

I hoped they would understand that authors of free megawads can spend whatever numbers of years doing what they want, hey it's their free time, but the relationship with the consumers change dramatically when a exchange of money take place...
I'm a bit naive, I know.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

instead of complaining about reviewers I would simply develop a good game instead

One is harder than the other!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

While I didn't love it, I enjoyed Borderlands 2 enough. I liked 1 while I was playing it, but I feel like 2 rendered it obsolete, for lack of a better term.

If I liked 2, would I like 3? Just to clarify, I find almost all of the humour just as bad or childish as the rest of you. I just love using ridiculous guns to kill huge enemies to get more ridiculous guns. Especially in co-op.

Edit: also, I never played the Pre-Sequel.

The TLDR is better gameplay, but worse story beats and dialogue.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Oh gently caress pirate doom 2 is out??

Yes, you should read the Doom wad thread where I put the news a week and a half ago :P

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

Early impression of Pirate Doom 2. It’s fun. The environments aren’t as pretty as the first one so far, but it’s a public beta at this point so maybe that will get cleaned up. Gameplay-wise they feel good though. Maps are smaller so far. I liked the larger ones from the first one.

The first one was a 19 map wad, this one is a 32 map wad, I guess this is why most are small.

I'm pretty sure it looks the same, there may be some rosy googles in your memories

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Angryhead posted:

Ahoy dares ask a dumb question but nah, it actually leads to a fun philosophical exercise (and with a funny-yet-not-inaccurate result)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuyImR_dI6g

I was going to post it.

And you know, it's kind of dumb question, because the answer is not as different as before: Doom is a FPS, and an action game, because the FPS genre is part of the bigger and more encompassing Action genre. Genres aren't just atomic, individual labels that exist without any relation. There is imo a hierarchy of genres, and some are inside others. Action genre encompass any other genre that is based of quick reflexes and eye-hand coordination: fighting games, third person action games, beat'em up, etc. It goes in the other direction, too, FPS can be further divided up in arena multiplayer shooter, tactical fps, immersive fps, boomer shooter, etc. The point where you start to call these divisions 'subgenres' instead of 'genres' is soft and can evolve, once a subgenre has a huge amount of games, and said games start having variations of styles themselves, the subgenre can be reclassified as genre. Like, it could be argued it precisely happened with FPS!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/QuakeCon/status/1787534324809556124

(maybe we will have a new id game this year?)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjJ2P63GAMI

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Automata 10 Pack posted:

ray tracing is resource consuming garbage that leads to more soulless art, as the lighting is taken out of the hands of artists and put into the hands of engineers

give me baked in lighting any day

The artist hand is still there, choosing the number, type and location of the lightning elements...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I finally started playing ADACA, and after one hour, I'm not convinced by it. It was one hours playing the campaign, not the Stalker-lite mode it had.
Some of the weapons (like the shotgun!) feel pretty meh. Grenades are a joke. The weapons models is a bit weird, like the fov is higher than it is (fov 90). The whole game is inspired by Halo and Half Life, but it is lacking in important features that those games had, like the AI. It does the whole radio chatter and pings but it's all auditive smoke and mirrors, the AI is pretty bad, and the body hits aren't good either. I also don't like how it has some beats of generic scifi plot clearly riffing on the mentioned games, but just enough to ape superficially those games, it doesn't really have a proper setup and plot like those games. It's also a bit janky, in things like physics not well adjusted, or climbing up stairs being horrible.

I know it's all made by one dev and in a way that's impressive how one guy could make his own Hal Life-clone, but it doesn't seem to totally coalesce in a fun playing FPS like Dusk, Cultic or Total Overkill, other one-man projects.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 11, 2024